Are you ready for burgers to relitigate the ethnicity of a historical figure as a result of an upcoming feature film?

are you ready for burgers to relitigate the ethnicity of a historical figure as a result of an upcoming feature film?

Attached: cleopatra.png (747x327, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vox.com/the-goods/2019/1/14/18182744/cleopatra-white-actress-liz-taylor-angelina-jolie-lady-gaga
blogs.nature.com/news/2009/03/cleopatra_maybe_african_maybe.html
mobile.twitter.com/afrosandmelanin/status/1084808076241371136
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

She was a Greek with a big honker so it should go to gaga

WE WUZ KANGZ.

She was Greek for Christ shake! So a white aryan woman would do.

greeks were white but most people think that egyptians are black

Lady Gaga is Italian, which is close enough to Greek.

Egyptian are brown but not black. So are greeks kinda, but maybe both of them were lighter or darker before. I always imagine cleopatra being dark skinned qt, but not african black begress

Isn't Angelina Jolie out of commission after amputating all her female limbs (boobs, hair, uterus) for carcinogenic reasons?

Also the shitstorm will be very cool, although I will probably get mad about it.

Attached: 1545469937495.jpg (500x646, 46K)

>actual busts and a facial reconstruction available
>mfw

Attached: isma.jpg (400x300, 22K)

Piss off.

What did Cleopatra look like? A debate about the last real ruler of Egypt’s Ptolemaic Kingdom has raged all day on Twitter in light of reports that Lady Gaga and Angelina Jolie are competing to play the ancient monarch in a blockbuster biopic from Sony. While IMDb lists a Cleopatra film as being in development, for now it’s just conjecture that Jolie, who played the Queen of Macedonia in 2004’s Alexander, is going head to head with Gaga over the role.

Since meaty roles for women are still too few in Hollywood, landing the character could be the chance of a lifetime for any actress. But the Twitter debate about Cleopatra isn’t so much about which actress most resembles the ancient queen as whether a white woman should be playing her at all.

Historically, white actresses such as Claudette Colbert, Vivien Leigh, and, most famously, Elizabeth Taylor have portrayed Cleopatra. The thinking during Hollywood’s Golden Age seemed to be that kohl eyeliner and a black wig was all it took to transform any white woman into the Queen of the Nile.

In 1999, when Chilean actress Leonor Varela stepped into the role for a television miniseries, her casting marked a slight amount of progress, but Varela’s version of Cleopatra has largely been forgotten two decades later. Liz Taylor remains firmly ingrained in the public imagination as Cleopatra, but the long history of shutting out actresses of color from contention has proven offensive to people of color who believe the queen was not white.

vox.com/the-goods/2019/1/14/18182744/cleopatra-white-actress-liz-taylor-angelina-jolie-lady-gaga

Here's your greek beauty. I rather have her being brown small nose qt

Attached: 6691177953_1c9f24f4bd_b.jpg (680x691, 121K)

>most people

No, only Ameriblacks do.

In your dreams Ch*noid.

>beauty
Who said anything about her being beautiful? Is non-black = beautiful in your racist mind?

i dont get USA, you get darkest motherfuckers being presented as white and then here on twitter people talk about her as "not black but definitely woman of color" so are south europeans ACTUALLY considered non white in USA? i look like turk damn do i qualify for some USA college quotas then?

I would shag tho, nice tits. And egyptians were shaving , so she probably was not hairy.

I think the most reasonable, conservative estimate is that ancient egyptians looked roughly like modern Copts, who today represent the "purest" of the remaining pre arab stock

Americans literally think Africa = black people and can't understand why the Queen of an African country wouldn't be African.

Books usually said that she was a very beautiful. And i just said that i would brefer a brown small nosed qt, i'm clearly not a racist, i just don't like man noses.

i remember reading some articlce about how Ancient Egyptians are more related to modern Europeans than Arabized Egyptians could be bs tho

Are you a gypsy?

Cleopatra was greek right?

I remember reading some article about how usa was inhabitated by anglosaxons before, not amerindians.

Lady Gaga could do it visually but I have no idea of her actual acting talents

>you get darkest motherfuckers being presented as white
no we don't
what do you mean by this?
hispanics aren't considered white, and a lot of the time Mediterranean peoples aren't

She was in some movie about music star with bradley cooper, you can watch the trailer i guess

A BBC documentary is claiming that the famous Egyptian queen Cleopatra may have been at least part-African, rather than Greek.

The claim hinges on a skeleton that maybe Cleopatra’s sister Arsinoe, who some suspect was murdered on the orders of her sister. The remains were found at a tomb called ‘The Octagon’ in Ephesus, Turkey.

The Times reports that the skull was reconstructed by forensic anthropologist Caroline Wilkinson, using measurements taken in the 20s. “It has got this long head shape. That’s something you see quite frequently in ancient Egyptians and black Africans. It could suggest a mixture of ancestry,” says Wilkinson.

Mary Beard, professor in classics at Cambridge, strikes a cautionary note on her blog.

First, Arsinoe was indeed supposed to have been murdered on the steps of the temple of Diana in Ephesus, and the Octagon (which was found in the 1920s) is a rather grand tomb which can be dated stylistically to the first century BC. But there is nothing more than that to link the tomb and the princess. There is no surviving name on the tomb and the claims that the shape was meant to evoke the shape of the lighthouse of Alexandria (and so hint at an Egyptian occupant) don’t add up for me.

Second, the skeleton itself doesn’t survive intact. The crucial skull, on which the ethnic arguments are based, was lost in the second world war. The new conclusions (including a mock up of Arsinoe’s face) rely on the measurements of the skull left by the first excavators. The remaining bones are said to be those of a 15-18 year old; Arsinoe may well have been in her mid-20s when she died.

Third, we don’t actually know that Cleopatra and Arsinoe were full sisters. Their father was King Ptolemy, but they may well have had different mothers. In that case, the ethnic argument goes largely out of the window.

blogs.nature.com/news/2009/03/cleopatra_maybe_african_maybe.html

I can sort of understand it.
Just think what comes first in your mind when hearing Africa? Black people? What country to be precise? Kongo? Ethiopia? Kenya? Mali? Benin? Mozambique?
When people talk about Maghrebis/Nafri it is usually separated as North Africa. Like here in Jow Forums when speaking of say Tunisia most mention the region as North Africa and not just Africa.
Egypt is odd one. While it is in North Africa not many refer it as North African but just Egypt, like it is its own thing.

Attached: malek.jpg (540x690, 59K)

>most people
shoo shoo college student

I don't know I just think of it all as Africa but do divvy it up, West and East Africa are very different with east Africans having a distinct look to them despite both being black.

She wasn't described as beautiful physically, she was described as a cunning fellow with great minds that attracted great men.

Sort of, she was the descendant of one of Alexander's companions, Ptolemy, who established dynastic rule over Egypt. While her family's origins were Macedonian, and inbreeding was apparently strong in her line, she was still something like a good 3 centuries removed from the line's founding, which makes it very likely that she carried some local ancestry as well. Still she was depicted as fair with reddish hair.

TBQH whoever plays her will have a hard time under the shadow of Elizabeth Taylor as it is, nevermind the out of whack American culture war. It's a project I certainly would like to see done, historic epics do deserve a comeback, but yeah, there's no choice that really gets you off the hook of not having some group or another screaming unless you happen to find some stunning exotic Egyptian beauty with both partial Greek and African ancestry who can act out a couple of intense scenes.

Attached: Cleopatra.jpg (496x600, 92K)

So when was red hair seen as hair for witches?

HBO Rome was quite accurate.

Attached: bb038ea9bfa66c3e50d3ff79bd07eb19.jpg (2000x3008, 623K)

Not sure, documentation for that seems to come from the Middle Ages and Judas was frequently painted as a redhead during the renaissance, red hair seems to have been commonly associated with Jewish ancestry during that era. That aside prominent women appear to have been destined for cruel fates in Roman Egypt whatever the color of their hair, appart from Cleopatra there's the tragic stories of Hypatia and Zenobia.

Looks Sicilian IMO

Looks like a gypsy

Did you forget where WE WUZ originally came from? A huge number of niggers honestly think that literally all of Africa was historically inhabited by sub-saharan boot-lipped pickaninnies and that they were genocided by wypipo who then covered up the real story.

It is BS. Copts are Egyptians, and Arabs were never a majority in Egypt, they just culturally assimilated the already semitic and already brown natives.

>and inbreeding was apparently strong in her line
the inbreeding was the local custom for egyptian kings and pharoahs

mobile.twitter.com/afrosandmelanin/status/1084808076241371136
Why is it always Americans? Africans regard Ptolemaic Greeks as foreign invaders. Black Africans don't need to claim foreign empires as their own because they had their own empires like Ghana, Songhay or Mali. Only black Americans say we wuz Egyptians / Carthaginians / Moors.

>"afrosandmelanin"
>problem glasses
>lives in Georgia

Like I was saying, this is unironic WE WUZ.

those empires werent much and nogs all over do this, there's some bbc interview with a darkie who claimed everything from the vikings to shakespare was black

>greek beauty
Where"s her moustache though?

It's a great thread.

Attached: Screenshot_20190115-120247_Twitter.jpg (1080x724, 255K)