Visited Jow Forums for about five years and strived to intermingle with other anons at discord in English

>visited Jow Forums for about five years and strived to intermingle with other anons at discord in English
>feel my English a bit improved
>visited Singapore as a tourist for 5 days
>realized my English is actually limited and aside from my '''tourist''' English I can't really communicate in English

Now I feel betrayed, Was my time at Jow Forums a genuine waste of time? Should I lurk on reddit instead?

Attached: 0476964ffc146f8b8888640ac8adf69d.jpg (1600x1700, 250K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mo4ufPKTq0E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw start learning korean and attain a high level of proficiency
>keep starting over because of depression-induced hiatuses

Writing and speaking are different skills.

What exactly is the problem? Do you undestand English but can't speak it very well? Can you speak english fine but get nervous? we need more info.

Attached: serveimage(6).jpg (700x814, 238K)

I knew but I thought they are at least closely related.

I can't speak English fluently and I get nervous while speaking it.

Reading and writing is not the same as speaking it properly. Though you probably just got nervous. You should start actually talking more. Also don't expect to sound like a native. Your accent will always come through unless you've spent years and years constantly using english primarily.

Hmm now I got it

Now I think about attending private English hagwon(academy in English)

Just watch a shit ton of english movies/tv shows and it'll click eventually. You can even watch english shows with english subs for a bit if need be.

Thx

You write it well enough to be understood. Singapore English is very different from standard; that might be part of the reason

You don't really need to do that since you write and understand it well enough. Just interact (talk) more with people in english in order to get the fluency.

How is Singaporean English different from standard English, except for its strong accent?

have spent a year here, memorized shit-tons of English vocabulary which make me look pseudo-intelligent

Language acquisition can be broken into four major parts:
1. listening
2. speaking
3. reading
4. writing
Learning one skill does not necessarily improve other parts.

youtube.com/watch?v=mo4ufPKTq0E

Can you read English literatures now? Just curious

Good for you if you can

can't, reading academic shit is fine but literature is another thing

Attached: 1494811270695.png (141x300, 31K)

That's because you never talk in that language. I have no problem writing a shitton of posts on Jow Forums each day but whenever I need to talk my brain freezes as if I was some absolute retard. It's because talking is different from writing and your brain needs to work differently for that. Hell I even forget German words when I am supposed to talk whereas I never have any problems with that when I write something.

>Was my time at Jow Forums a genuine waste of time?
Yes

add me user, I need mates
Honkeynuts#8555

the only way to get through it is just speaking desu

I bet this scrub can't even read Joyce.

you gotta listen to spoken english too, and force yourself to speak

bump

>Was my time at Jow Forums a genuine waste of time?
The context doesn't matter, the answer to this question will always be yes.

>unless you've spent years and years constantly using english primarily
Even then, his gook accent will always come through just like our Spic accent will always come through