Is Chile the only country South America that has a chance of becoming first world in this century...

Is Chile the only country South America that has a chance of becoming first world in this century? They seem to have been doing well since their independence. In the late 1800s, they did so well that Bolivia and Peru declared war on them; surprise, surprise: they won.

Attached: IMG_7106.jpg (320x249, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_Argentina
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Please, shut up...
Thanks

What happened to Argentina?

Always the same CHI faggot making threads about Latin America because he is an atention WHORE.

Stop answering
Thanks

I'm not even Mexican-American.

fuck first world status
we goin conservative military dictatorship up in this goddamn place
killing proggies is a human right
its better to be considered last world than to have your place filled with degenerates

Based French uniforms

based Chile
t. butthurt monkeys

Seething Monkeys mad that they are cursed to be a Scheißehole for eternity.
What about them?

They used to be a very promising country

populism ruined them

lol yeah like back in 1940s.

Yes, Chile is the best

and what about you? how are things like in urgay?

populism ruined us

If Espert would win we could have a chance to stand next to Chile, but he won't lol

>first world countries getting filled with third worlders
wonder how long it will take for you open borders to become the third world and close borders to become the first world

You can't be first world here, as soon "latinos" realise that your country is doing well a horde (300.000 a year) of shitskins will flood your country and they will make slums and bring poverty and crime.

Based doubleposter

dont put too much pressure on us or we might fuck it it up

>Monkey is retarded
Not surprising. It's already super easy for third-worlders to get in. Most of the people from my state are from the ME and SA. It's Europeans that have a hard time coming here.

can you read, nigger? you proved my point

>You can't be first world here, as soon "latinos" realise that your country is doing well a horde (300.000 a year) of shitskins will flood your country and they will make slums and bring poverty and crime.
Pretty much.

>Seething Monkeys mad that they are cursed to be a Scheißehole for eternity.
It's not a shithole if you're high-income.

>Tfw you have the potential to become firstworld but as soon as the standard of living raises we will be inevitably flooded with memezuelans, haitians and colombias who'll bring crime and just fuck everything up like always

Attached: 1550232089401.jpg (743x723, 64K)

More first world than you Cletus

remove all leftists then

We should've when we still had the time

Attached: 357222_73738_1.jpg (630x345, 149K)

It doesn't really matter tho, most of them are outright rejecting coming here because no monthly neetbux and social welfare, lmao get dabbed on lazy fucks

Disgusting. I hope you get "removed" in the next US "freedom" intervention.

They had a chance with President Aliende, but your CIA overthrowed him via the coup.

Highly doubt so since I'm not a leftie

LOL, same. Americans will not care about "which type of leftist he is".

It never stopped Pinochet's regime to repress people who wasn't leftist at all.

t. future REKT victims from the international RWDSs

>RWDS
WTF are you talking about?

Lmao seeth harder disgusting commies

Attached: 1550204749362.jpg (960x951, 57K)

Being chilean anti-communist is even more disguisting.

>a Scheißehole
Ultra mega cringe

>Post brought to you by famine gang

Your secret police gang isn't any better.

Not really. The thing with Latin America is that even if the countries are doing well economically, the banana mentality is too strong. Any system put in place will be hijacked by latinoids and destroyed from within.

I don't like swearing.

cringe americuck

they're just on a bender with resource exports

unless they invest heavily in tech/education or something sustainable it won't last

Based

No way they will manage to improve their favelas to reach the first world standards (like underground power lines, perfectly maintained sidewalks, road paving, grass, decent houses with all necessary amenities etc.), millions of people live there

Attached: screenshot-www.google.pl-2019.02.15-17-45-04.jpg (1599x765, 910K)

It's too late for your country to have a cool dictator, fuck off.

Attached: augusto-pinochet-007.jpg (300x180, 11K)

Isn't his grandson running for president?

This.
Shrewd resource management/investment is where the line is drawn.
You can be a full-fledged rich retard with a lot of money for a moment only to lose it afterwards due to shitty management aka corruption.
Or you can also be potentially rich and spend your resources in a smart wsy that will improve your overall standard of living

Still, fuck commies though

That's actually a really good question.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_Argentina

>The economic history of Argentina is one of the most studied, owing to the "Argentine paradox", its unique condition as a country that had achieved advanced development in the early 20th century but experienced a reversal, which inspired an enormous wealth of literature and diverse analysis on the causes of this decline.[1] Since independence from Spain in 1816, the country has defaulted on its debt eight times[2] and inflation has often been in the double digits, even as high as 5000%, resulting in several large currency devaluations.

>Argentina possesses definite comparative advantages in agriculture, as the country is endowed with a vast amount of highly fertile land.[3] Between 1860 and 1930, exploitation of the rich land of the pampas strongly pushed economic growth.[4] During the first three decades of the 20th century, Argentina outgrew Canada and Australia in population, total income, and per capita income.[4] By 1913, Argentina was the world's 10th wealthiest state per capita.[5]

>Beginning in the 1930s, however, the Argentine economy deteriorated notably.[4] The single most important factor in this decline has been political instability since 1930, when a military junta took power, ending seven decades of civilian constitutional government.[6] In macroeconomic terms, Argentina was one of the most stable and conservative countries until the Great Depression, after which it turned into one of the most unstable.[7] Despite this, up until 1962 the Argentine per capita GDP was higher than of Austria, Italy, Japan and of its former colonial master, Spain.[8] Successive governments from the 1930s to the 1970s pursued a strategy of import substitution to achieve industrial self-sufficiency, but the government's encouragement of industrial growth diverted investment from agricultural production, which fell dramatically.[9]

no, despite what incels here might tell you, the Pinochet image is not popular, even right-wing politicians tries to keep distances

>>The economic history of Argentina is one of the most studied, owing to the "Argentine paradox", its unique condition as a country that had achieved advanced development in the early 20th century but experienced a reversal, which inspired an enormous wealth of literature and diverse analysis on the causes of this decline.[1] Since independence from Spain in 1816, the country has defaulted on its debt eight times[2] and inflation has often been in the double digits, even as high as 5000%, resulting in several large currency devaluations.

It's not really unique, it happened to most of regions that achieved the developed status in 19th century. Wallonia, North-Eastern France, Northern England - they're all in decline now, because they lost the chance to switch to another, more prospective branch of economy when it was possible and the industry their wealth was built on (heavy industry) stopped being profitable due to strong competition from cheaper countries and globalization.

The very same thing happened in Argentina, just their industry was agriculture, not coal mining. There's no point to blame Peron for that, unless we blame him for not switching to service-based economy early enough (but by this logic we'd have to accuse all French, Belgian and English politicians of the same). Agriculture-based economy couldn't remain rich in the second half of 20th century nor could a coal-based one.

>the Pinochet image is not popular, even right-wing politicians tries to keep distances
guess what? we revere our saviors

Attached: 3245.png (1283x400, 653K)

Our core mentality and culture will always be third world no matter how many shiny tall skycrapers they built

Venezuelans who go to Chile usually have superior education (University) and money. You should actually thank Colombia and Peru, they kind off draw all the shit tier people and criminals from Venezuela.

Not complaining though, I love to see Colombians and Peruvians bitching about Venezuelans

The only good ones are Castelo and Médici.

>t.Chile no está preparado

I'll have new hopes for this nation if Bolsonaro's cabinet manages to make at least a decent administration

The only problem with Venezuelans is that there's just too many of you. We can't handle that much people

>San Joaquin
There's the higher murder rate in Chile and yea it's a shithole and most of Chile has areas with dirty and unkept streets like that but it is certainly improving, and safety wise those areas are way safer than in other LatAm countries

>Médici
yes, he was the most anti-commie of them all
but forgetting the first commie hunter, Artur da Costa e Silva, and putting the pacifist Castelo in his place is simply too weak and bluepilled

>are way safer than in other LatAm countries

I don't deny it, but no LatAm country is first world, while OP asked about the chance to achieve the first world status, so Chile should be compared with Australia, Germany or Japan, not with Guatemala.

And 90% of Chile looks like a typical LatAm country, here you have a completely random district from the other side of the city - it's pretty much the same like that one.

I don't have anything against Chile, but it has no chance to become first world, because it's impossible to improve all such neighborhoods, you'd have to demolish 90% of your country and build it once again, because you can't do much with such favela-tier hoods.

Attached: screenshot-www.google.pl-2019.02.15-19-22-17.jpg (1599x759, 1.07M)

Ah yea you're right

Costa e Silva forced the prorrogation of Castelo's term. Castelo wanted to hold new elections in 1965 and restore civilian rule in 1966. The Military Regime allowed communists to take over universities, schools, the media and organized society in general, at same time persecuting conservative leaders like Carlos Lacerda. The generals were intelectually inept.

That might look bad, but thats no way near to a favela, people there has access to the same services as someone living in a rich part

Maybe, but as long as your country looks mostly like that, it can't be first world. And we both know it would be impossible to improve it, it would cost too much and actually would demand demolition of almost all your neighborhoods.

It's the same in eastern Europe though, we can't become first world unless we demolish all commieblocks (that won't happen in the foreseeable future)

was pic rel the best Brazilian president?

Attached: 800px-Getulio_Vargas_(1930).jpg (800x1204, 176K)

You're making affirmations based on aesthetics, not function, kindly fuck off and inform yourself before posting about my country

Shit tier populist that extended his filthy corporatist influence to this day.

I've seen many Chilean cities. Even the poorest streets look better than most of Brazil.

>you'd have to demolish 90% of your country and build it once again

Urban improvement is an organic consequence of economic progress. Do you think there's a single neighborhood left in Singapore that remained intact for, say, the last 40 years?

>The Military Regime allowed communists to take over universities, schools, the media and organized society in general
Figueiredo, the last of them, was the one responsible for this
i didn't put he in that image because he was a weak general, a civilian in our army's high rank

>I've seen many Chilean cities. Even the poorest streets look better than most of Brazil.

Once again, the topic is about comparing Chile to first world countries, not to Brazil.

>Urban improvement is an organic consequence of economic progress. Do you think there's a single neighborhood left in Singapore that remained intact for, say, the last 40 years?

don't compare Singapore, a city state to long Chile, especially that Singapore is a fascist state when it comes to urban development and proprietary rights are limited there. Chilean cities have already grown too much, it would be impossible to change the way how they're developing now.

If a neighborhood is divided into 1000 plots of land owned by 1000 separate owners living in their 1000 favela-tier huts, it's pretty much impossible to do anything with the neighborhood, unless all of them are expropriated which is impossible in modern Chile I guess. How can you imagine one real estate developed to buy up all 1000 plots, it's almost certain there would be always at least one NIMBY guy who wouldn't agree and the neighborhood couldn't be redeveloped in a proper way. The best thing we could get would be modern buildings popping up between run down huts which would make Chile look more like India than Germany. And since redeveloping in such a way would be a slow, lingering process lasting for decades, if not centuries, it wouldn't be possible to make it look coherent so it would lose the chance to look first world for ever.

His material achievements were very expressive, specially his efforts to industrialize a heavily rural country, although the foundations of this transformation already existed in the 1920s. He also weakened regional oligarchies. But on the other hand, the long-term consequences of his actions are poison, to say the best. He inaugurated the bureaucratic, authoritarian state in Brazil; subjected culture, education and labor to state control; ended more than 100 years of relative democracy in Brazil; established the first enduring dictatorship; arrested around 30,000 people and killed at least 4,000; and launched a period of chronic instability that would endure until 1964, when the same army that brought him to power removed his protege Jango from the presidency with a coup, establishing a military regime until 1985. Only recently we have been succeding with the "degetulization" of Brazil. He is also the forerunner of all the corruption Brazil is now famous for, specially in his last rule (1951 - 54).

So, no.

The best president, in my understanding, is Rodrigues Alves.

Attached: Rodrigues Alves 12 EDITADO.jpg (449x600, 92K)

>You're making affirmations based on aesthetics,

Because that's what firstworldness is mostly about. About all these perfectly maintained streets, infrastructure, houses, gardens etc. First world countries look like Disneylands, just check the Netherlands on google street view and you'll see what I mean and how much you're lagging behind them.

>not function, kindly fuck off and inform yourself before posting about my country

If it's not the poorest part of the society that lives in such dilapidated houses it makes your country look only worse.

Cultural marxism was already in power in the early 1970s.

"[T]here is relative cultural hegemony of the left. It can be seen in the bookstores of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, full of Marxism, in theatrical premieres [...] in the student movement or in the proclamations of the advanced clergy. In the shrines of bourgeois culture, the left sets the tone"

give me the examples of this cultural marxism already existing in the 1970's (before Figueiredo scum)

those houses are made to resist earthquakes that will demolish your entire country you dumb neet, get the fuck out of here

>those houses are made to resist earthquakes

Japan has the same problem yet their houses don't look that shitty

>you dumb neet, get the fuck out of here

Why do you insult me, I didn't try to insult Chile or anything, just stated the facts. It's not important WHY your cities look that bad. It's just the fact hence your country can't be first world. Just accept it, it's not humiliating not to be first world, most of the world is not.

Stop acting retarded, the pole is right. We are miles away from becoming first world fellow countryman, don't seethe though, these are the best times for us. You, nor I might not live to see this place turned into South Germany (In terms of infrastructure that is) but rest assured we are onwards to get there

just think how much time is needed to make 2nd look like 1st and then you have an answer when Chile will be first world

You don't need to be first world to be a nice and cool country. Chile is fine.

Attached: screenshot-www.google.pl-2019.02.15-20-42-18.jpg (1599x1532, 831K)

>yet their houses don't look that shitty
that's why they were destroyed in the last major one, aesthetics over function is not something that you want to do if you live in the circle of fire

Eh, we can always do better.
We want to be better, it's just going to take a lot until then

I never claimed that, I'm just pointing out that basing your narrative in aesthetics over function is dumb but this polish intellectual insists on the contrary

sure, everyone wants, but the gap between first world and other worlds is so huge so it's almost impossible to catch up with them nowadays

even South Korea that has made such an outstanding progress for the last 50 years is hardly called first world (by many people it's not though) and still stands out in terms of infrastructure and general maintenance

and South Korea started its pursuit of development long time ago, also it focused on different areas, unlike Chile, that is mostly a resource-based economy, once copper price falls down, Chilean economy struggles to grow, it's mini-Venezuela, just politically different.

Chile will hit the middle income trap sooner or later if it doesn't switch to a service-based economy model.

>aesthetics over function

Well, but that's what first world is about - you can afford to build something that simply looks good and serves aesthetic purposes, because you've achieved a higher level on the Maslow's pyramid.

Higher gdp per capita than you Boris.
No, seriously we don't claim to be first world, quinta normal and san joaquin are bad as shit. Go to Ñuñoa, Maipú or Huechuraba to see how your average Chilean lives. Also, the south is way more aesthetic. La Dehesa, Las Condes and central Providencia account for the nice areas.
We are defitinely improving and we're ahead the rest of Latin America. The difference in HDI between Chile amd Colombia is the same as that between Chile and France. We're defitinely still lagging behind Countries like Germany and the Netherlands. In fact the highest HDI in Chile is still lower than the average HDI for Norway.
Why so rude

Venezuelans are great, I'm glad they are migrating into Chile because they're respectful and hard workers.

>Higher gdp per capita than you Boris.

I never claimed Poland was first world. I always want to cry when I compare average Polish neighborhoods to western European ones.

>Maipú

I can't say it looks much better...

>We are defitinely improving and we're ahead the rest of Latin America.

Probably. But that's too little to be called first world.

> The difference in HDI between Chile amd Colombia is the same as that between Chile and France.

The difference between Poland and Ukraine is bigger than between Poland and Germany, but it doesn't change anything.

As I said, I don't deny Chile could be a nice country with friendly people, interesting culture, great cuisine, stunning views etc. etc., just not first world. Like 85% of the world roughly. There's nothing to be ashamed of.

Attached: screenshot-www.google.pl-2019.02.15-20-58-03.jpg (1599x761, 918K)

I want a high iq Chilean boyfriend

Tl;dr
We are doing just fine at the moment, things could be A LOT better though, but that falls on the self-improvement category rather than getting on par with our neighbouring rivals.
Kinda wish we stopped relying exclusively on our copper export tho

>underground power lines
Even in America some cities don't have that, what's thebig deal?

You know, I totally agree with you, the asthetic of many neighborhoods in Santiago and many cities is disgusting, and as you say, changing that for good will take a lot of time. I hope our politicians push for better investments in human resources instead of simply selling raw materials.

>Even in America some cities don't have that, what's thebig deal?

that's why America is commonly seen as first world mixed with third world

you won't see overhead power lines in rich areas in the US either, for a reason

you have a lot of poor areas and these are certainly not first world

>those houses are made to resist earthquakes
explain

Do you consider this third world?

Attached: Untitled.png (1366x460, 985K)

definitely not first world

probably something like 2,5-world

herro

we need more earthquakes, I love them because they kill all the old crumbling buildings

Attached: 4726ed22fa686aeb06c9573a9296b23af831e5f5.jpg (380x250, 13K)

That is not a favela