Here in Germany we have different types of schools and in the best ones pupils learn ancient Greek or Latin

Here in Germany we have different types of schools and in the best ones pupils learn ancient Greek or Latin.

What about your country? These languages are required to become a civilized person.

Attached: 1.png (1000x480, 1.21M)

Everybody can do latin in option

To be honest i don't see any reason to learn those things to be civilized person. Because i doubt knoweledge of that can make someone civilized.
Ancient romans and greeks wasn't for example.

We learn traditional Chinese in middle and high school. Traditional Chinese might be east asian equivalent of Latin and Greek.

There's no point to learning ancient Greek or Latin. It has no application in real life.

>application
Well, my amigo, If you're scientist biologist for example then it has application in real life.

The IQ of America is really falling.

Still greater than you losers

He's correct. Don't feel bad Hans, even German is losing it's place in a modern, English speaking world.

Best pupils learn Greek and Latin.
Second best learn Latin.

Yeah, we too have the gymnasium, where we study both Greek and Latin (some other high schools offer Latin classes, but not Greek ones).
It makes STEMfags seethe for some reason. Probably some inferiority complex they try to conceal with "muh judgemental snobs", when in reality we don't give a shit about what other people choose as their type of highschool, whereas they let us live in their heads rent-free and won't shut up about it.

in our schools everyone does the same subjects, a class of 25-30 people sits for five hours and the professors come and go according to a timetable of x hours a week per subject.
Since you don't choose the single courses you want to take we have different kinds of high schools that teach different sets of things.
They're mainly divided between Liceo (which is the more theoretical kind, where Latin is always mandatory) and technical schools, where the hours dedicated to theory are less and there's more practical stuff.
People who go on to college ALL go to a Liceo, which can be Classical (where you do like 10ish hours a week of Greek and Latin, doing language, literature and philosophy), Scientific (where there's only Latin language, a bit less literature and the same amount of philosophy), and Linguistic (which is somewhere inbetween those two with the addition of two contemporary languages and literature).
Italian schools are pretty bad for the introduction to the workforce but we're taught a shitload of stuff about our past, which is kind of cool i think.

liceo classico phaggots spotted lmao

These languages useful if you have higher education. You will instantly know the definition of many words, even before you read about them. And it's easier to remember them after that.

>implying you liceo scientifico fags don't constantly complain about "MUH OPPRESHUN, YOU HATE US BECAUSE WE DON'T STUDY GREEK *insults about our subjects ensue*" when it's all fabricated
No wonder why you tend to be SJW/Redditor types.

>this
for example I'm studying German and French in uni and knowing a bit of latin goes a long way when you're trying to learn another european language. The case system in german is kind of similar to latin and i saw how my italian collegues had a headstart on the international students when the course started.

Latin is cringe and I dropped it as soon as I could.

nah i think knowing ancient greek and literature is pretty cool, i just never cared for it.
What people don't like about students of Liceo classico is the fact that you act like you've reached the peak of human enlightenment but when someone asks you what a function is you start staring at your feet.
If you got rid of your holier than thou attitude no one would give you shit

>you act like you've reached the peak of human enlightenment
>If you got rid of your holier than thou attitude
Just as I said, here comes the boogeyman where we throw parties where we cackle at every other student behind their backs or something.
Open your eyes and realize we're the ones who can't say we attend this type of school without getting obnoxious comments. Fuck, there are people who would be even happy to see it abolished.
>but 80 years ago people who didn't attend it were looked down upon for this simple fact!
Literally doesn't matter.

I'd say we're both kind of right, it's a cycle of one party responding to the other's accusations over and over that's been going on since schools exist.
I think we should actually throw a party where we can all laugh together about people who went to technical schools so we can get all this nonsense behind us.

Latin is even more useless in Germany than in England, because we don't require it to understand German

same
but there also is a highest level without latin and greek

yeah it's useless to understand german, except for medical terms, and everything regarding jurisprudence, and science, and religion, or learning literally any other european language.
If you don't work in any of those fields yeah you probably wont need it that much, but then again you won't need german either to work with cattle or crops.

>except for medical terms, and everything regarding jurisprudence, and science, and religion, or learning literally any other european language.
Do you even speak German?

It's useless to you but not to the people who learned it.

I was in a private school where they teached Latin for a while... it wasn't so useful actually

a bit, and even if you changed a lot of words to be closer to germanic pronunciation and orthography, most of the roots of terms in those fields come from either greek or latin. In general it's true that german has very few completely loaned words, but those fields were only studied in latin everywhere in the world until less than 100 years ago. To say that knowing latin is useless is negating that it was the lingua franca of the civilized world and its aristocracy until very few years ago.

What's your job?

NEET

I could choose between Latin and French and of course I chose the language that nobody speaks anymore

Well that's your problem. Nothing you learn in school is really useful until you work. Primary school math is more than enough in normal life.

I took French but its a useless language. I should have learned Russian or Chinese to make money and fuck women.

I'm glad you can see my position. I respect your subjects too, I simply would feel out of place studying them.
>I think we should actually throw a party where we can all laugh together
I actually know that classico-scientifico parties are indeed thrown, but I never cared for them (or parties outside of school in general) when I was in high school.

latin is an option but i don't understand why someone in america would choose latin instead of spanish, seems silly

Yes and no.
Law is done in Latin or has a lot of latin terms.

There's so much greek vocabulary in medical jargon its rediculous. Even someone with a basic understanding of ancient greek can translate 99% of terms. And unlike like Latin, Ancient Greek directly helps you understand Modern Greek and Koine Greek.

But yeah both are useless pretty much.

I picked French instead, now I have a French girlfriend. Do you have a Latin girlfriend?

i have friends in italy
we meet each other each 1/2 years

It's interesting
It's not like I have never worked before, but besides work I found Italian more useful than Latin since I play the piano since my childhood where Latin is found not really anywhere
I can speak Russian since I am Russiagerman which is actually useful too, one of my options is to go to Russia and do shit there but I don't really want to go back there after how we were treated there in the past

All of these spent studyingaa language just to land in the friend zone.

Don't you mean classical chinese?