Languages close to English

What language is closest to English?
I always thought it was Dutch because I heard something about Frisean dialects and shit a bit ago.

Also. Is English related to any of the languages on the island? Like Scottish, Welsh etc.

Attached: 1280px-Flag_of_England.svg.png (1280x768, 1K)

Frisian and Dutch
Also the lowlands of Scotland speak Scots, which evolved from Middle English

Scots is the closest relative of English.

British

eastender

Scots is not a language, spelling your dumb accent phonetically isn't a language.

>spelling your dumb accent phonetically isn't a language
tell that to scandis

>Also. Is English related to any of the languages on the island? Like Scottish, Welsh etc.
Well, they're all Indo-European, so there's that.

A Scottish guy shags yer maw, no doubt.

Half Scottish actually, because he's my dad.

Eh?

Attached: 686E90F4-7EC1-495D-BD28-11663C5418DB.jpg (480x480, 15K)

French

>spelling your dumb accent phonetically isn't a language
That is what basically all languages are though, including English. It's either dutch words spelled wrong or french words pronounced wrong.

Strayanese

Attached: koa.png (326x257, 80K)

unironically this
The average english speaker with no education in french can get the gist of a basic french sentence if they strain, simply because of how many words english and french share with eachother

Hardly, this is much more true with Dutch

as an english and german speaker, dutch confuses the shit out of me. its too much like either that i have no idea what's being said. IDK if its different for english speakers that dont speak german

Scottish (Gaelic), Welsh (Cymric), Cornish, Breton and Manx are Celtic languages and are very far from English or other Germanic languages.

Of course there's "Scots language", which is English spoken with exaggerated Northern accent.

Hú fela þisra worda meaht þú understandan?

"How many [of] these words may thou understand"

Fela is the same as the German "viel", many.

English developed primarily from Frisian

>Bûter, brea en griene tsiis

Attached: west-germaanse-taalfamilie.png (1138x980, 60K)

Indeed

>English developed primarily from Frisian
No it didn't

>English developed primarily from Frisian
>posts a pic saying otherwise
mirin IQ

Which is easier to understand?
>Je viens d'acheter des billets pour un concert. Un de mes groupes préférés est en réunion! Je serais vraiment déçu s'ils réalisaient un nouvel album vraiment mauvais.
>Ik heb net kaartjes gekocht voor een concert. Een van mijn favoriete bands is hereniging! Ik zal erg teleurgesteld zijn als ze een nieuw album maken dat echt slecht is.
>Ik kocht de kaarten foar in konsert. Ien fan myn favorite bands is wer te reunjen! Ik sil echt teloarsteld wurde as se in nij album meitsje dat is echt min.

It's french if you're talking about vocabulary

Frisian sounds nothing like English