Nord Languages

So, if a Finn, a Norwegian, a Swed and an Icelander with no knowledge of each other's language, only their own, would they be able to communicate fluently?

I know I wouldn't be able to communicate with a Portuguese, Italian and French (similar latin languages) without studying their languages first. Would it be the same for you, Nord friends?

Attached: nyanpasu.jpg (451x588, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ec.europa.eu/commfrontoffice/publicopinion/archives/ebs/ebs_386_en.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=fHkc0zv-gWQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Only the Swede and the Norwegian would be able to understand each other. Icelandic is more old school and finnish is completely different.

Swedish and Norwegian are basically dialects of the same language, Icelandic is kind of like Swedish but a lot more grammatically complex, Finnish is its own thing completely

The Finn would be mega fucked. The language is in no way related to the others. The Norwegian would have the easiest time. The Swede and Norwegian could communicate especially if their dialects were in close proximity to each other.

Finnish has nothing to do with the other scandi languages, totally different language family, grammar, vocabulary etc. We wouldn't understand anyone and nobody would understand a single word we tried to mutter. Norwegian is alike swedish so they would be the only ones able to actually have some sort of conversation.

I cannot understand swedish

Dutch people and Afrikaans speakers can understand each other almost perfectly. Although Afrikaans speakers have a harder time understanding us, than the other way around because we use more words and suffixes.

Dutch and German speakers can get the point across. It's mostly getting used to the accent. But the majority of Dutch people had German in school anyway.

Do you understand Danish? Icelandic?

Why are all these americans and one finnish guy saying otherwise? Don't they sound similar or aren't they grammatically similar in the least?

Here's how it goes:
Danes would have little to no trouble understanding Norwegians and Swedes.
Swedes would understand Norwegians more easily than Danes.
Norwegians would understand Swedes more easily than Danes.
In other words, Danish has a weird phonology so it's hard to understand, but they can understand the other ones.
>Finn
Finnish is a way separate language group and has nothing in common with these except for a few borrowed words. Imagine trying to decipher Russian, except it's even more different than that.
>Icelander
Like an old viking version of Norwegian

>nobody would understand a single word we tried to mutter
There's a whole bunch of borrowed words in Finnish. Tomaatti, leipä, pohatta, panki instantly come to mind

It is very easy for a Norwegian to understand Swedish, the guy who posted that is just retarded or very sheltered. Maybe both.

The only problem with Danish is the pronunciation and lack of vowels. Written Danish is basically the alpha version of the Norwegian written language.
>Icelandic?
Not much, just a few common words.

The Finnish man would have no clue if he did not learn Swedish at school.
And no one can understand him outside "perkele" and vittu.

Attached: 1552162953480.jpg (960x720, 174K)

the finn would be completely alien to everyone.
the swede and norwegian would be able to speak to each other in their own language.
the icelandic could theoretically understand about half of what the swede/norwegian is saying but would have to resort to english ultimately

Finnish does have a lot of loanwords, but they usually tend to be so ancient and well preserved that the languages they were origianlly borrowed from no longer use them in a form they'd recognize, the most used example being "kuningas", which is a loan from early germanic "kuningatz", which then evolved into "könig" and "king" in modern language. Neither of them would recognize the loanword anymore, yet it's been preserved in finnish just as it was all those ages ago.

To read danish is easy, to hear them talk is hell. Some icelandic words are similar to norwegian

t. border fag. Norway is more than you border faggots

giving myself a few you's because i deserve it for giving a quick and correct answer. I deserve this.

>tell me about my country

Don't you have a burger to eat Mister?

Wow, I can't believe we've lost so much of our country that the border walls are now at Sogn and Fjordane.

I'm not hungry, I ate a ton of taco bell a few hours ago and I feel like sharting
a few more you's for me. fpbp
first post best post

So what if you have learned swedish by watching swedish TV or you have a swedish gf.

I would call them faggots for speaking a language that sounds like cock munching

Swedish is like a difficult dialect, in other words if we focus, we can understand it. The same more or less applies for Swedes understanding Norwegian

Finnish is vastly different, so they would have to communicate in Swedish, but I can't vouch for if they can understand other scandinavian languages considering Swedish isn't their native language.

I can recognize a good amount of words in written Icelandic, but I would have to guess the inherent meaning and context.

Swedes, Danes and Norwegians can talk their own languages to each other and understand each other, though I've heard that Danes and Swedes don't understand each other as much as they understand Norwegians.

Any Swed around to complement these thread with his/her commentary? We are yet to hear from you, friends

Attached: sweden1.png (417x500, 13K)

commentary on what? it is well known swedish/norweigan ismutually intelligible. depending on ones dialect it can be more/less difficult to understand a norweigan.
it depends heavily on where one comes from in the nation.

Finnish isn't even a Germanic language.
danish is hard to understand.
icelandic/faeorise is impossible.

they would be able to communicate.
Norwegian and swedish are the same language.
The finn knows swedish
The icelander knows danish, which is also the same as nor/swe.

Danes, Swedes and Norwegians understand each other perfectly well in written form but Danes can be hard to understand when we speak, at least for Swedes. Some Norwegian dialects can also be hard

>finn knows Swedish
I can speak better Russian than Swedish
Swedish really isn't very common language here at all, neither is Russian of course but still

Finnish: impossible and completely alien
Norwegian: Like a happy, distant dialect. A few words here and there that are different
Danish: Easier to understand in written form. Spoken danish is very difficult to understand.
Icelandic: No, it's a different beast. English will have to be used.

something like 45% of finns speak swedish.

Prove it
Du är bög for saying it

The Swede and the Norwegian will understand 99% of each other.

But Finnish is a completely different languange, Icelandic as well. It's not as alien as Finnish and as a Swede I do understand maybe 10% of spoken Icelandic.

ec.europa.eu/commfrontoffice/publicopinion/archives/ebs/ebs_386_en.pdf
p.21

As a Norwegian
>Sweden, Denmark
Can have a fluent conversation
>Icelandic
Understand some, cant have a regular conversation
>Finnland¨
Understand nothing

I honestly doubt that this is on proper conversation level since the amount of people who could actually have an conversation with a Swede are increasingly lowering
I could be wrong who knows I don't understand it other that few sentences

People saying that Swedes will understand Danish is talking bullshit.
Unless you live in Skåne and/or hear Danish often you won't understand shit.
In written form it's kinda understandable but spoken Danish is a mumble of random sounds that most Swedes are gonna fail to understand.

I work in a factory where trucks from Denmark roll in several times per week, I never understand the drivers unless we swap to English and that goes for all of us here.

From a Swede

>danish
Nope
>finnish
Ultra nope
>norwegian
Sure, no problem
>icelandic
Nope

cant understand finnish or icelandic, can understand swedish to a degree

Finnish is complete gibberish compared to other nordic languages.

youtube.com/watch?v=fHkc0zv-gWQ

Attached: dca47775.jpg (960x720, 148K)

Pakkoruotsi is so fucking retarded, it makes me sick.
Not because learning Swedish is hard per say, but because for most students classes start in high school.
It's literally the worst fucking time to start learning a language.

It would save us so much fucking trouble if it started in elementary school, with like two short classes a week.
It might even improve overall attitudes towards Sweden.

Attached: fuuuuuuuu.jpg (279x181, 9K)

>attitudes towards Sweden.
We have nothing to do with pakkoruotsi. Mandatory Swedish was implemented by you, in your country. We have no say in it.

>he's so cucked he wants to learn another nations language
AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

Mashallah my brother, me too am worried that I have to start learning Swedish in Sweden

That conservative language theory is just a theory. If Sumerian ever will be declared as an Uralic or Finnic language, that will turn everything in contemporary linguistics upside down.