Has your country contributed to classical music?

Has your country contributed to classical music?

Finland has Sibelius

Attached: 1459410819383.png (752x612, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/W-bmKoft6qU
youtu.be/CrgrieXRhe0
youtu.be/6ud7sHucI5c
youtu.be/NRYH-7MviZ4
youtu.be/Z2_LDC-WQQ0
youtu.be/nWzlQMq83NA
youtu.be/MVewzMm1uts
youtu.be/lZkQro0CLwo
youtu.be/X9Dh43kVL1Q
youtu.be/ascdQJ6HGpc
youtu.be/8c8Bn0T4RFo
youtu.be/rrVDATvUitA
youtu.be/d9EN27Zh_vg
youtu.be/mGQLXRTl3Z0
youtu.be/0KQW2YnCUrE
youtube.com/watch?v=MzEH7xrmflg
youtube.com/watch?v=fKfGDqXEFkE
youtube.com/watch?v=-rh8gMvzPw0
youtu.be/fbjGmWmEoxY
youtu.be/5OA8HFUNfIk
youtu.be/xUcLxn-cbDw
youtu.be/KNyBO6W1eHk
youtube.com/watch?v=HgBuJNyese4
youtube.com/watch?v=auRUxPPqDcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WDfLu9Wk1EU
youtube.com/watch?v=0xFuARj4aAw
youtube.com/watch?v=VgAk5N6N4vA
youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6Mzvh3XCc
youtube.com/watch?v=_hifk5F5uJM
youtube.com/watch?v=vlvWfP-iFmY
youtube.com/watch?v=IUAF3abGY2M
youtube.com/watch?v=x5Lu7G3-7dE
youtube.com/watch?v=dMbWdkJAb9I
youtube.com/watch?v=K4DEnboF7xE
youtube.com/watch?v=VOYC2D3Yyd8
youtube.com/watch?v=DlUFg1L3XoM
youtube.com/watch?v=jNaNDXyXRFo
youtube.com/watch?v=Vf42IP__ipw
youtube.com/watch?v=JRQdSaJujEg
youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM
youtube.com/watch?v=0u0M4CMq7uI
youtube.com/watch?v=H5CEcljnHkE
youtu.be/LjgndGuy77o
youtube.com/watch?v=PM0HqmptYlY
youtube.com/watch?v=PjF3AsTCbyc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no

Idiot.

no

Obviously yes
Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Stravinsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Glinka, Khachaturian etc

I adore Schnittke!

My university has a faculty named after him

Bah.... You-are-kidding-me!

: T

Adagio is one of me all time favorite compositions.

my*

Yes, namely via the works of John Williams.

Brazil has Antônio Carlos Gomes.
youtu.be/W-bmKoft6qU
youtu.be/CrgrieXRhe0
youtu.be/6ud7sHucI5c

Thanks, i liked it a lot

Thank you for liking, fren.

Who is more highly regarded in Russia Tchaikovsky or Stravinsky? I suspect it is Tchaikovsky, because even here in Estonia we have a memorial in his honor and our most posh restaraunt in Tallinn is named after him. I honestly don't get it, his music is good, but ultimately it is just a refinement of early romanticism. Stravinsky on the other hand single-handedly defined a new era in music and set a framework for the next 100 years, plus his music was much more "russian" in it's essence, while Tchaikovsky belonged more to European tradition rather than Russian. Why ruskis aren't pushing him as their greatest composer?

Only Finns care about Sibelius

Also there's Villa-Lobos

The US only started having a lot of notable composers in the 20th century, but we do have some.

Yes, Heitor Villa-Lobos! I can't foget about him
youtu.be/NRYH-7MviZ4
youtu.be/Z2_LDC-WQQ0

Aaron Copland

Stravinsky was an emigre for most of his life so that's a possible reason for it. Although Tchaikovsky was criticized in his day for sounding too "European" and not Russian enough.

>Finland has Sibelius

Attached: 1545744795802.jpg (1400x928, 165K)

Yes, a lot
There's Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Händel, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Händel, Wagner, Telemann, Hans Zimmer...
If you count Austrians too there's Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, Bruckner, Mahler, Strauss and more
Did you know that Frederick II was a composer too?
youtu.be/nWzlQMq83NA

Wagner is the best out of the Germans.

But the absolute goat in the world is Tchaikovsky

>Stravinsky was an emigre for most of his life
right, that's what i tought, gommunists were afraid to promote him

Yeah he apparently wasn't very fond of the communists either.

Not much but there are a few notable composers like Purcell, Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Britten, Holst.

>Holst
I sometimes forget he was British

Bartók, Kodály, Liszt

Tchaikovsky is more famous than the latter. I mean in mass culture. It is more likely that people who are fond of classical music would have a high regard for Stravinsky

I think the g.o.a.t. is Bach
youtu.be/MVewzMm1uts
youtu.be/lZkQro0CLwo
youtu.be/X9Dh43kVL1Q
youtu.be/ascdQJ6HGpc
youtu.be/8c8Bn0T4RFo
youtu.be/rrVDATvUitA
youtu.be/d9EN27Zh_vg
youtu.be/mGQLXRTl3Z0
youtu.be/0KQW2YnCUrE

Idk Čiurlionis maybe? If he counts.

youtube.com/watch?v=MzEH7xrmflg

He was also a painter and of the abstract art pioneers.

Attached: Piramidziu_sonata.Allegro1.jpg (450x600, 288K)

He is well respected among people who actually listen to classical music. I guess people who know 20 pieces from movies and such don't.

>Bartók
God-tier avangard, one of the very few that doesn't fall in the category of degenerate

>Bartók
The most patrician composer

We have Granados, Albéniz and many more. We are the main responsables of making classical guitar a thing during the romantic period, and also had the best music school of the world during the Baroque period.
Can't compare to central Europe, but we contributed something yes.

Some people even care about Rautavaara

England did not have much of a classical music tradition and since the US developed out of Anglo-Irish culture, it followed that we didn't have much either until Central and Eastern European immigration in the late 19th century became a thing.

There were no notable English composers in the nearly 200 years from Purcell to Elgar, other than Handel, who was a German emigre.

Very good.

Yes!

Attached: grieg.jpg (474x532, 49K)

>Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff
w*sterners, not russians, fuck them

>Khachaturian
Arm*nian

>Prokofiev, Stravinsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Glinka

These are true Russians, but all of them are dwarfed by Borodin and Mussorgsky, their work is where the russian spirit lies

What an absolute great.
youtube.com/watch?v=fKfGDqXEFkE

youtube.com/watch?v=-rh8gMvzPw0

How did it happen that Norge emerged as the greatest scandinavian country in regards of academic music?

What about Shostakovich?

>Shostakovich

He is an asset, later on we will share his and many other polacks glory, such as Tsiolkovsky, Malevich, Marcinkevich etc. with our polish brothers as an apology for inappropriate treatment in the past. Then we will unite and cuck the whole world. Soon.

you forgot Balakirev

>I suspect it is Tchaikovsky, because even here in Estonia we have a memorial in his honor and our most posh restaraunt in Tallinn is named after him. I honestly don't get it, his music is good, but ultimately it is just a refinement of early romanticism. Stravinsky on the other hand single-handedly defined a new era in music and set a framework for the next 100 years, plus his music was much more "russian" in it's essence, while Tchaikovsky belonged more to European tradition rather than Russian

It's the old Mozart vs Beethoven dichotomy. Tchaikovsky was seen as being a purveyor of this kind of sugary, vapid fluff music composed for ballets and the aristocracy and lacked that primeval sense of struggle one found in Beethoven or in Stravinsky. The one major exception in his body of work was the 6th Symphony and its agonized death spiral.

Jakob Petelin Kranjski, unfortunately an hour long collection of his works that was on Youtube got deleted so I can't enjoy it anymore

Leonard Bernstein, Samuel Barber,George Gershwin.

For the longest time pianos and any more complex musical instrument had to be imported from Europe. A native piano-making industry in the US only began in the mid-19th century thanks to German immigrants. There wasn't much of any money for high art and a lot of churches still held onto the Puritan belief that music other than hymns was sinful.

>Yeah it was like metal versus Katy Perry

Attached: 134.jpg (344x427, 16K)

Absolutely brvtal brah. \m/

José Maurício Nunes Garcia:
youtu.be/fbjGmWmEoxY

Where are all the classy blokes?
This thread severely lacks of frenchies, austrians, poles and czechs

No
But we have Gagaku. I can play the Shou.
youtu.be/5OA8HFUNfIk

Japan has other composers but I can't remember all their names.

One more from José Maurício Nunes Garcia:
youtu.be/xUcLxn-cbDw
Cláudio Santoro:
youtu.be/KNyBO6W1eHk

Edvard Grieg

youtube.com/watch?v=HgBuJNyese4
Absolutely beautiful song in my opinion. Part of the Peer Gynt suite.

Since they were very focused on Spanish guitar, I would add Manuel de Falla to the list, his composition were more "for orchestra"
youtube.com/watch?v=auRUxPPqDcQ

Such a shame Sibelius is all people know/care about
youtube.com/watch?v=WDfLu9Wk1EU
youtube.com/watch?v=0xFuARj4aAw
youtube.com/watch?v=VgAk5N6N4vA

I enjoyed Toivo Kuula, thank you. Great melodic value and contrasting textures

youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6Mzvh3XCc

>Arvo Part

You can do much better Eesti, take it as a compliment

Yes. Some of the best known composers from the Romantic era :

Debussy
youtube.com/watch?v=_hifk5F5uJM
Ravel
youtube.com/watch?v=vlvWfP-iFmY
Satie
youtube.com/watch?v=IUAF3abGY2M
Waldteufel
youtube.com/watch?v=x5Lu7G3-7dE
Berlioz
youtube.com/watch?v=dMbWdkJAb9I
Alkan
youtube.com/watch?v=K4DEnboF7xE
Bizet
youtube.com/watch?v=VOYC2D3Yyd8
Gounod
youtube.com/watch?v=DlUFg1L3XoM
Dukas
youtube.com/watch?v=jNaNDXyXRFo
Delibes
youtube.com/watch?v=Vf42IP__ipw
Massenet
youtube.com/watch?v=JRQdSaJujEg
Saint-Saëns
youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM
Offenbach
youtube.com/watch?v=0u0M4CMq7uI

Attached: germans_btfo.jpg (2080x1559, 550K)

fuck off vodkanigger

We are way below the big three (Italy, Germany-Austria and Russia), but worthwhile composers like Couperin, Marais, Rameau, Bizet, Berlioz, Chopin (half-Pole), Saint-Saëns, Ravel, Fauré, Debussy, Satie... put us above meme-tier nations such as USA or England.

Russia is where it's at, if you ask me. I really admire their composers

Wow! i was about to post some astonishingly great pieces by Estonian composers, but now i won't since you're being rude, people in this thread will remember your nation for this elevator music by Arvo Part (jk they won't remember)

>Frenchman has arrived

Finally!

Impressive output fast considering they were very late to the classical music scene and it didn't start there really until the mid-19th century.

Arthur Fielder

Sibelius? Hmm. Doesn't sound Finnish. Was he Latin? That sounds like a disease.

>the russian spirit
wow. what's that?

I don't know if it's true at all, but from what I've seen in several documentaries, it seems that classical music still plays a big role in their popular culture. Or at least, it seems to be more popular there than it is here in France.
Is this right rusbros?

>Sibelius was born on 8 December 1865 in Hämeenlinna in the Grand Duchy of Finland, an autonomous part of the Russian Empire. He was the son of the Swedish-speaking medical doctor Christian Gustaf Sibelius and Maria Charlotta Sibelius née Borg. The family name stems from the Sibbe estate in Eastern Uusimaa, which his paternal great-grandfather owned.[7] Sibelius's father died of typhoid in July 1868, leaving substantial debts. As a result, his mother—who was again pregnant—had to sell their property and move the family into the home of Katarina Borg, her widowed mother, who also lived in Hämeenlinna.[8] Sibelius was therefore brought up in a decidedly female environment, the only male influence coming from his uncle, Pehr Ferdinand Sibelius, who was interested in music, especially the violin. It was he who gave the boy a violin when he was ten years old and later encouraged him to maintain his interest in composition.[9][10] For Sibelius, Uncle Pehr not only took the place of a father but acted as a musical adviser.[11]

It's okay. We have jazz, American folk, and rock.

>a fennoswede
why is everything good about finland associated with them? they are the true superior race.

also i wonder if linus is a fennoswede as well. sounds pretty much like sibelus.

Rimsky-Korsakov > Mussorgsky > Shostakovich > Glinka > Rachmaninov >>
Tchui >>>>>>>>>>>> Chaikovsky

shit forgot Borodin one of the GOAT.

Chaikovsky is telephone-waiting-call muzak

For me, it's Satie (yeah, i'm a weirdo)

Wrong. Tchaikovsky is for both plebs and patricians. Not rating his music is pure contrarianism.
youtube.com/watch?v=H5CEcljnHkE

I'm going to buy this book desu

Attached: 81Hd8rFYAZL.jpg (800x1214, 271K)

Monteverdi, Pallavicino, Bartolomeo Cristofori, Vivaldi, Scarlatti, Stradivari, Girolamo Frescobaldi, Rossini, Piccinini, Cimarosa, Salieri, GB Pergolesi, Verdi, Paganini, Donizetti, Puccini

>my country
>contributing to anything more than memes

Attached: cheetah.jpg (450x450, 30K)

>forgetting Albinoni
youtu.be/LjgndGuy77o

we were too poor for instruments

>tfw no barefoot hapa pianist gf
youtube.com/watch?v=PM0HqmptYlY

Not much
youtube.com/watch?v=PjF3AsTCbyc

Not a lot of Russians could verbalize it (especially in english), unless they have a special education or spent some time meditating on this topic, but most of them can definitely feel it listening to Mussorgsky. You should try it out, you might pick it up, too.

>Is this right rusbros?
Not in the slightest, unfortunately. We still have ballet and Saint Petersbourg is a destination point for many ballet artists around the world, but apart from that our culture, that was so bright not that long ago, now is in a huge decline. It's still alive not because of modern Russia, but in spite of it, tho in few generations it will be dead.

>We still have ballet and Saint Petersbourg is a destination point for many ballet artists around the world
It's only because Tsarist Russia and USSR were light years ahead of the rest of the world, but now USA out of all countries is about to dethrone us. God, why couldn't we lose it to our true rival that is France?!

no, we have our own classical orchestra music

Attached: photo_gamelan_1jpg_1_web.jpg (1280x960, 339K)

Debussy was very fond of those.

bump

>Rachmaninoff
why he is not Russian?
and Tchaikovsky is quarter Russian

>Shostakovich
he is quarter Pole

Why is mozart famous can someone explain pls ? I can't listen to his crap

extermly comfy thread

Attached: karhu6.jpg (1152x648, 380K)