How is your local military regarded in your country?

How is your local military regarded in your country?
Here in Germany nobody has given honestly a flying fuck about it since the wall came down and it is now largely in ruins after decades of neglect and misguided, badly executed reforms, mostly intended to save money.

Attached: 51F9FC4C-86A8-42F0-A283-66383B09F2A9.jpg (635x357, 86K)

Local military? Like, a military that only protects one city in the event of an attack? How would that work

Everyone loves our soldiers, even though a lot of them just sit on bases all day.

Publicly we're pressured to worship them and it's verbotten to criticize them, but in private everybody knows it's just a bunch of trailer trash and Mexicans that we loan out to Europeans and private corporations to use as cannon fodder

It's basically a rent-a-retard program

Sorry, didn't know to word without producing something ugly.

Like the whole national military?

I think its prestige is sort of slowly declining year by year.
The army has always had a very good reputation in Finland and people in general believe in it, at least in my experience. Most men don't have a problem with serving and the people who seriously refuse are still very rare. Extremely few people think they're the bad guys or too incompetent or something.

But a lot of people seem to think they're becoming too soft these days, like they're losing credibility. They lower the expectations for recruits because people keep getting fatter, it's becoming easier and easier to drop out of the army because young men no longer know how to live with even a little discipline, stuff like that.
There's been a few individual cases where the army got some pretty bad publicity and I don't know how well they've recovered. The refugee crisis when conscripts were made to carry refugees' bags was one, and the whole fighter deal that's in the works seems like a waste of billions to a lot of people. It's a political issue but still.

Overall I think Finns still like and respect the army. Very much so, compared to a lot of other countries.

Holy shit! Never realized how long the G36 is.

There's always people talking about US military on here, and how we "worship" them so i'll try to explain in detail how most Americans view them.

In general Americans have a high opinion on the military, which is largely for historical reasons as the US has never really played defense, so that means they're doing something right. Though military work isn't generally seen as something prestigious, though a lot of people still pursue it because it's a steady source of income and such. Most people recognize that in reality it's just another job, and that the US is basically unbeatable (as in being invaded) so looking at them as the "defenders of America" is rare. For stuff the military does that is controversial people rarely view the entire military as responsible. It's usually either the politicians fault, or singular soldiers fault.
For the spending point, that is also commonly discussed, most Americans don't really care frankly. Mainly because it constitutes a relatively small percentage of the actual annual budget, and it also keeps us an edge above everyone else. But in general people view congress as incompetent so everything related to money is inherently controversial.

Also, for the respect bit that people so commonly point out. This really isn't anything that is inherently out of the ordinary in the US, because Americans generally respect each other (obviously the internet doesn't show this). But police, firefighters, emergency workers, and politicians usually get the same level of respect. And a lot of the stuff about "worshipping" them that is seen in videos is actually just veterans doing stuff.
In US military culture, especially, but not limited to, the Marines, veterans still consider themselves to be part of the branch even after retirement.

They are respected and loved.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 209K)

Krauts are bro tier. They were an absolute blast to be around, and were really cool dudes. They were a little jealous of us Americans because we got the latest gear and the civilians didn't hate us.

The Japs were pretty highly motivated, didn't get as much of a chance to hang out with them due to the language barrier, but from what I've heard military enlistment in Japan is seen as something only the poor or disadvantaged do. Nobody would actually want their children to enlist.

The army's job is not just killing people.
Japan's military work today is to save people's lives.
Many young people who volunteer for the Japanese Self-Defense Force are proud not to make money but to save the lives of people.

The army's job is not just killing people.
Japan's military work today is to save people's lives.
Many young people who volunteer for the Japanese Self-Defense Force are proud not to make money but to save the lives of people.

Where did you meet them Afghanistan?
Why are our soldiers disliked by civilians?

The military is well respected, unlike journalists and politicians.

Attached: confiance.jpg (661x456, 94K)

so and so. Popular mostly in right - far right circles. Military junta memories still alive.
The army core itself is usually regarded as a wholesale American and European weapons purchase racket. You could be a 4 star general and many won't bat an eye.

only terroni join the army, nobody here respect them

Long conscription has an interesting effect on how the public views the army.
Other than being a source of pride, a place where children become adults (assuming they serve in a division that isn't worthless) and a national unifying experience everyone sees it as terrifying before enlisting, an exhausting drag during service and viewed with nostalgia goggles two days after being discharged.
A very interested consequence of conscription is that anyone who has children aged 16 and up (especially if those children served in combatant roles) views soldiers they see on the bus on their way home for the weekend more as poor, exhausted children and with a great deal of empathy.
It also means that any casualties are especially bitter, quite a few years ago there was an Israeli soldier held captive by Hamas and there was a massive campaign calling for him to be released while calling him "our (everyone's) son".
I remember my mom telling me when I enlisted that before that soldiers on the bus were just sort of part of the scenery and after I joined the army she started seeing them as exhausted kids because they were my age.
In my opinion it also kind of harms the army, the public that didn't serve in combatant roles (or did and are just morons) are convinced soldiers should be treated with leniency when they act against orders exactly because of this empathy, you even hear in every basic training wave how someone's mom called the course's commander (usually a captain ranked officer) and berating him for not releasing her son for the weekend because of a punishment.
I always said (admittedly, as a commander) that if we as a culture trust 18 year olds to take arms and defend the country they should also be able to take care of themselves in terms of taking responsibility.

This thread made me realize I should call my squad and see how they're doing, maybe I could get a reunion of sorts going, I miss those morons.

Exactly 1m
Shoulder stock is 25cm, rest 75cm
But yes I felt it's a bit unwieldy (tho I haven't held another rifle as reference)
Carbines like the M4 or HK433 are probably better

The Finnish people literally worship the government, and the armed forces represent the government. We are good little sheep who genuinely think that people can be imprisoned if they don't feel like forced labour is ok.

I have that jacket. Fleck is a super sexy pattern and the jacket is great quality.

Attached: 15534456077364673341407261727010.jpg (4032x2268, 1.72M)

I was stationed at Ramstein in a NATO command. Got to work and train with a lot of foreigners.
There wasn't as much of a hatred from the Germans, more of an apathy. The Germans were jealous of the hero worship that we got from American civilians back home.

ours is seen as a big rescue team or something, as they have neat stuff instrumental to disaster relief, from lots of choppers to airlift necessities to isolated disaster areas, to field bath system that provides evacuees with precious bath.
public perception of the self defense force wasn't so good until 90s or so, but it's getting better these days, due in part to several devastating disasters we suffered last two decades and china's rise.

Time to conquer some islands for proper image

The military is a sacred cow. I wouldn't dare criticize them in real life. In the old days, Americans highly regarded militias and hated and distrusted the military.

>The military parade which meets the eye in almost every direction, excites the gall of our citizens; they feel a just indignation at the sight of loungers who live upon the public, who consume the fruits of their honest industry under the pretext of protecting them from a foreign yoke. They put no confidence, Sir, in the protection of a handful of ragamuffins ; they know that, when danger comes, they must meet it and they only ask arms at your hands. Gentlemen have talked of organizing the militia. I call upon them to make good what they have said. Instead of reducing this force, I could wish to see the whole of it, reprobated as it is by our citizens, abandoned, and the defence of the country placed in proper hands — those of the people." - John Randolph of Roanoke

Attached: john randolph of roanoke.jpg (200x242, 11K)

Has the JSDF any chance to get more than their 1% of GDP any time soon?

Germoney not investing money and fucking europe. Invest in the military you fuckers, you need to spend money

apparently they are planning to raise it to 1.3%.

We sadly abolished the draft for now. I would prefer to pull in everyone like you do. Instead we give prefered hiring and lowered standards for women, but they are not required to join the draft in case of war.
I think we should be happy about not getting the opportunity to build experience like you do, but your government is smart enough to not deploy people that can't hack it to the frontline.
There are enough men that dont qualify either.

Possibly the finest in the world.

Attached: 1 TqNlPyUuH2KxJCnXkmwNvQ.jpg (1750x1250, 489K)

Why bother having a military if you can fuck us through sheer economic power?

There's a lot of butt sex in Russian army, almost as much as in jail which says a lot, so everyone despise those who belong there. People pay great money to escape conscription (well you don't want your butthole be stormed by dozens of dicks unles you're a gay off course). So being in army is basically a form of pederasty.

>Mainly because it constitutes a relatively small percentage of the actual annual budget
This is the only statement of yours I have a problem with

most see it as a joke

Served two years in the army as a scout, the Burger is right. Loved our joint exercises man

It's only 2.7% of our GDP, Russia spends 6%

Isn't the current right wing government trying to rebuilt it to counter Russia?
Welche Verwendung hattest du genau?

>B-But i thought w-we were invading Poland?

Attached: germs.jpg (348x125, 41K)

Good on you.

>Tfw Zentraler Sanitätsdienst.

>There are enough men that dont qualify either.
Here's a the sad thing about women combatants in the IDF (specifically the infantry, I briefly served a role in their officer's course at the end of my service).
The IDF loves bragging about it's women combatants but the whole thing is little more than a virtue signalling unit, their training standards are lowered for women (there are men in those units, they're mixed platoons) and in active service they're sent to do the shitty, safe, boring garbage so proper infantry doesn't have to bother themselves with this.
It has so many girls joining it for bragging rights only to throw a tantrum once they discover that it's kind of hard, drop out after throwing enough shit and then keep bragging about having been a combatant despite dropping out a few days after basic training is done.
And not to mention the guys in this mixed unit just feel like they're a C grade unit and have zero motivation, the unit itself doesn't take it seriously and the high commander DEFINITELY doesn't take it seriously, I vaguely recall a story where a mixed unit was sent to do something remotely interesting and they sent some paratroopers to accompany them (aka do the actual work in case something happens).

It's depressing because I've met some girls who aren't just natural combatants, but combat commander material who are thrice as professional as some of the retards I've seen being trusted with serious work.
I met one girl soldier that was a natural combat leader, I'd charge into Gaza shirtless if she would lead me there, unfortunately she was in the minority.
If it were up to me I'd abolish the mixed units and open up all units to women who can prove themselves to reach the men's standards (it's a conscript army, those standards aren't really that high at all), we might lose the hollow PC bragging rights but we'd gain the most motivated and professional soldiers Israel has to offer without putting up with instagram warriors.

Attached: sims cat.jpg (764x1024, 218K)

>Welche Verwendung hattest du genau?
Jägertruppe, Auslandsvorbereitungseinheit für KFOR

Truppenübungsplatz mit Panzerfaust, MILAN und Granatwerfer YEAÖÖÖ

The bundeswehr would unironically probably lose

I met a lot of competent women as well who were better than me in many things, but I dislike lowered standards in general. As you say, this stuff is demotivating for everyone involved.

>Served two years in the army as a scout
Field intelligence here.
Hell yeah, scouts.

Attached: very nice to meet you.gif (198x257, 884K)

Judging by their faces, the moral must be already low lol

Sounds great.

Based. My buddy got the Military Proficiency badge training with a Jagertruppe

There's not different war for men and women like in olympics. Girl power is nice, but to a certain point.

who /Air Force gang/ here?

Attached: 0108190719_HDR.jpg (4160x2340, 2.63M)

>filename
kek, good one

god damnit. Serves me right for phoneposting...

>>>/tumblr/

Total US government budget for 2018 was $4 trillion. Defense spending as a total portion of that is tiny.

oh, sorry
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE CLETUS GONZALES GOD BLESS YOU
FUCK COLIN KAEPERNICK

It was, I quit in 2010 shortly before they abolished the conscription to study. Friends who stayed in told me that the quality has droped so dramaticly you wouldn't imagine.

I never got the impression that women in the IDF were used for anything but eye candy/PR photos.

It hasn't been over 5% since 1989 and the last time defense spending exceeded 10% was in 1956.

Your actual cunt, not the one you're LARPing in, sexpat.

If you are referring to the photographs where IDF grills are being sexy than those aren't actually taken by the IDF, those are just girls slutting up for the camera of their own free will and posting it online for people to save.
When the IDF takes picture of female soldiers they're usually in full combat gear looking srs bsns.

That was in days of old when a standing army was associated with European militarism. Up until WWI peacetime military service in the US paid very little and was considered to be for people not smart enough to succeed in the private sector.

even if he isn't LARPing
>thailand
>best
kek, they can't even kick Cambodia out of some border regions or pacify the south

In Switzerland, every male has to serve in the military (at least in theory, in reality it's very easy to get away from that). Most people claim it's just a giant waste of time, the organisation is crap and the people who actually are employed by the military are retards who wouldn't find a job anywhere else.
Unless you are talking about our fighter jet pilots or helicopter pilots. Too bad our air force can only fly from 9 to 5 (I am not even joking).

It's the same here.
No one cares for military traditions anymore, which is pretty damn sad. Unless you are the older generation/from mainland Europe.

And at least you have a decent military. Ours is lacking in so much stuff.
Latest report says our air-force is severely crippled.

>which is largely for historical reasons as the US has never really played defense
My state had to defend itself from Lincoln's hired goons.

we need another world war desu

Attached: defense spending.jpg (600x429, 97K)

kek I love it when southern states play the victim

Eat shit, redneck.

>1860 presidential election
>Lincoln is elected with something like 35% of the popular vote
>he doesn't make any suggestions of banning slavery, just preventing its further extension
>Democrats still control Congress
>any amendment to the Constitution to ban slavery could be defeated by only 1/4th of the states
>the South accounts for nearly half the total states
>so what do we do? Oh right, chimp out and secede the second the election returns are in

Serious question, is the military salary in the US sufficient for a comfortable life both for officers and ordinary grunts?

The current government cut all the money that was earmarked for the modernization of the army, because it needed it for gibs to its electorate.

2bh you don't really need an army if your country is under protection of the strongest and most powerful military in history.
God bless America and President Trump.

Please occupy Pakistan.

same
don't know why this simple fact makes some seethe so much
guess it's guilt

Start shit, get hit.

Based general Grant.

No.

Widely regarded as useless parasites.
Considered a good career because you don't need to work to earn your paycheck

The lower classes tend to have a better opinion of the army though.

For piss poor people its so called "ticket in life" they provide flats, higher than average payment, valuable connections etc.
Most people indifferent toward them.
Conscription is other deal, its truly like russian roulette, you can be sent to deathwish section somewhere in south of russia and everyday of your life will be hell. You can be sent to distant place in god forgotten hill somewhere in Kamchatka or siberia and getting crazy because of boredom.
Or you can be sent to parachute divisions, or inside forces (BB) and train valuable skills, eat good food and develope yourself as person and chilling in Moscow.

Attached: yRnKvTaobB0.jpg (600x800, 125K)

>How is your local military regarded in your country?
It used to be seen as somewhat cool, nowadays they have a very, very, very bad reputation. Most families would consider dishonorable or disgraceful to have a soldier in their families. In some cases, I've known people who prefer to say lies than to say that their son/cousin/whatever is part of the army.

On the other hand, the people who generally go into the military are either poor people or heavily connected people.

Attached: GRPWEZ4YQY7T3FGQDJ3C43BKFE.jpg (960x639, 119K)

I get paid $2700 a month as an E-4. Shit's cash.
I dab on the Army and Marines every day

binary, love/hate
gets more appreciation recently

Are there any conflict areas in today's Russia (disregarding "foreign missions" and stuff like Crimea/Ukraine) that make the service dangerous today?

Also, is the hazing and rape still a problem or is it just a meme?

It’s a service. People have respect. Some people take it a little far because they are really passionate about supporting the troops. But I wouldn’t say that’s the majority.

Has the venezuelan military really such extreme amounts of criminal business going on?

Thanks. That does not tell me much because prices tend to be widely different between America and Europe. Is it enough to live comfortably? To have a family?

It varies. But I mean, they house you and feed you.

Our military is worshipped like it’s the second coming of Christ for no good reason

Attached: 83CCFF37-C31C-449A-9292-9D314447F228.jpg (886x601, 113K)

>inside forces
What do these folks actually nowadays?

Yeah. The government pays for everything for non married people who live in the barracks. Paychecks for newly enlisted soldiers start around $700 to $900 every two weeks. Once you get married or move out of the barracks you get an additional housing allowance once a month based on the average housing prices nearby your location.
so I get $1,200 every two weeks plus $1,500 once a month for housing and food. Since my house only costs $1,200 a month, I pocket the rest of the money.

Defend the oligarchs and their friends from russians. There is also "national guard" that exists for this very purpose. The most ironic part is that they get their funding from the taxes that we russians pay.

Basically parallel army with parallel command structure. Nowadays it's called "National Guard of Russia", but little if anything changed aside from branding. On paper they are to do things like securing nuclear and research facilities and combat crime. But nobody cares what they should do on paper. In reality all those parallel armies exist in authoritarian societies. Their main purpose is to combat the army in the event the army rebels.

We also had this parallel army into the 1990s. We inherited them after the communist era and nobody knew what to do with them. They were disbanded after literally one internal affairs minister tried to use them to prevent his own ousting, lel.

Yes. High and medium ranks are corrupted entirely.

>The current government cut all the money that was earmarked for the modernization of the army, because it needed it for gibs to its electorate.
Wow, so public funds are actually being used on something remotely useful rather than dumping them in a bottomless money pit known as "armed forces" where it only benefits foreign companies supplying our equipment.

All hail the current government.

bump

I was in a german military base not a long ago, german soldiers are cute as fuck

>be muttland
>be post war
>militia alongside french troops defeat the bongs
>disband the continental army since standing army bad
>fast forward some years
>urge to kill the red man intensifies
>get btfo by red man
wow

There is a German base in my city, there are some qt 3.14s

New Mexico?

t. civilian who never stepped foot into a base
kill yourself

PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS

Nobody cares, they are either rednecks or catholic people with tradition in the military.

Attached: 46720846_1743994749039311_116348354635185917_n.jpg (962x962, 152K)

>Also, is the hazing and rape still a problem or is it just a meme?
Probably an outdated 90s meme.