ITT: Jow Forums in 1872

ITT: Jow Forums in 1872

Attached: what trendy New York girls wore in the summer of 1872.jpg (760x730, 150K)

finally united YEAAAAAÖÖÖÖHHHHHHH

Attached: Anton_von_Werner-Kaiserproklamation,_zweite_Fassung_1882-1.jpg (2100x1400, 2.33M)

pyccкoe дepьмo :DDDDDDDDDDDDD

FUCK THE BRITS
they can kiss my ass
This continent belongs to the NETHERLANDS

Cleanse Washington of corruption! Let's give ol' Grant and his cronies the heave-ho this November!

Wanna go out west and shoot some redskins with me? Carson City has the best brothels.

It's been seven years since the war ended. When are the Yankee troops ever going to leave South Carolina?

Everything is fucking brilliant lads

Attached: ALIX BAKER (2).jpg (601x897, 83K)

Attached: 1544857500979.jpg (1024x850, 114K)

Your state started it, you have no right to speak.

How did women survive the summer back then?

Clothing back then was made from natural fibers which probably didn't trap heat as much.

I wanna go to Tokyo by train.

Attached: D9FEEAD2-C33C-4157-A745-6D5BBC313017.jpg (793x387, 50K)

What do you mean I have to speak German, not French?

"What do you mean I can't keep slaves now?"

Lose the war, too bad. :^)

So wonderful.

im tired of new york, i'm going to go out west and settle down on a comfy farm.

What the FUCK is this magical typewriter?

Wrote William T. Sherman to his brother--"It is remarkable to see how Grant, who was never a Republican, is being championed against Greenley, who was never a Democrat, but quite the opposite."

Attached: Horace Greenley and the Democrats swallow each other (1872).jpg (493x474, 139K)

This can't be happening, Im in charge here!

fucking bulgars and serbs getting uppity again
please don't revolt, I'll give you more rights and shit

Attached: an_ottoman_map_of_the_ottoman_empire_including_morocco_early_19th_century_71877.jpg (1024x1186, 406K)

>By 1872, a powerful wave of disgust over Grantism was emerging. The Democrat Party did not run a candidate of their own, but instead backed Horace Greenley, the legendary newspaper editor, who was nominally running as a third party ticket.

>Even by the standards of the Gilded Age, the 1872 presidential election scraped rock bottom. Greenley's campaign against the corruption of Washington and a pledge to end Reconstruction was met with Republican charges that he was an atheist and supporter of free love who had also co-signed Jefferson Davis's bail bond, which in fact he had signed. "Grant beat him, Greenley bailed him!" declared a GOP campaign slogan. Voters were asked to choose between two bumbling and incapable candidates, but in the end Grant's incumbent's advantage carried him through to a second term. For Greenley, the outcome was tragic. Within a few weeks of losing his presidential bid, he lost his wife and his life.

>As with his first presidential election four years earlier, Grant was mostly carried on the votes of African-Americans in the occupied South. This election would be the last time many Southern states would be carried by a Republican in a presidential election for nearly a century.

Attached: 1872_large.png (750x460, 50K)

To hell with you, Yankee.

The map is from the 1880s to 1908 as it shows Thessaly as part of Greece (annexed 1881).

africa time

Attached: 1536782749723.jpg (1024x1004, 211K)

You damn Yanks just wait. You can't keep soldiers here forever. And when you pull them out, that's it for your colored pals. Out of the halls of government and back to the fields where Providence intended them to be.

You guys are alright, don't come to the OK Corral tomorrow

Yeah we need hands for the longhorn drive out in Texas.

I miss the war. At least things were exciting back then. Credit Mobilier crooks? Yawn.

May as well. The South is ruined anyway.

Buy silver! What could go wrong?

I read in the paper the other day that the American economy overtook the British economy and is now the largest on Earth. Objectively number one, boys!

just got done whacking off to mom's piano legs

Refugees welcome

Oh be quiet traitor, at least Congress was kind enough to give your citizenship back last month.

>In the early 1870s, the Treasury had stubbornly and unrealistically insisted that an ounce of silver was worth just 1/16th the price of an ounce of gold, although prices for silver on the open market were higher. The immediate result of this was that silver miners stopped selling to the US Mint. As the supply of silver coming into Federal coffers slowed to a trickle, Congress suspended minting of silver dollars in 1873. Fate played a sly joke when new discoveries of silver deposits later in the decade drove the price of the metal down.

Things sure have changed here in Florida since we got all of these new overbearing visitors. Tourists they call them. Look, here comes another boat of them now. Well, at least they always go back after a few days. For them to stay permanently, to tolerate our hot and humid Summers, some magician would have to change the air so it always stays cool. That will be the day!

Attached: Winter_in_Florida.jpg (846x656, 119K)

Guys, what do you think of giving voting rights to women?

"Shaking my head"

This is for your own good, anonymous.

Attached: Untitled.png (557x549, 215K)

What's next? Rights for animals?

Suffrage should be awarded to any landowner, but no more than 1 vote per househould. That will make those wealthy spinsters quiet down a bit I'd say.

>In the early 1870s, the Treasury had stubbornly and unrealistically insisted that an ounce of silver was worth just 1/16th the price of an ounce of gold, although prices for silver on the open market were higher. The immediate result of this was that silver miners stopped selling to the US Mint. As the supply of silver coming into Federal coffers slowed to a trickle, Congress suspended minting of silver dollars in 1873. Fate played a sly joke when new discoveries of silver deposits later in the decade drove the price of the metal down. Westerners, outraged at "The Crime of '73", demanded "a return to the dollar of our daddies." This demand, like that of the Greenback Labor Party, was essentially a demand for inflation.

>During the Civil War, Congress had authorized the mass printing of paper currency with nothing backing it to pay for the enormous expenses of the war. Some $450 million worth of notes were put into circulation, but about 40% of it had been withdrawn by 1868. In 1870, the Supreme Court ruled the Legal Tender Act of 1862 unconstitutional. With the consent of Congress, President Grant appointed an additional two justices to the Court who could be counted on to overturn the ruling. Thus the Supreme Court grew from seven to nine members, where it has stayed ever since.

>Indebted Southerners and Westerners favored fiat currency which caused gradual inflation and allowed for higher prices for crops and made debts easier to pay off. Hard money men in the Northeast objected to fiat currency for the exact same reasons.

Look at all these pathetic countries, none of them even have the silver standard! I'll be voting the Workingman's party next season and finally overthrow the shackles of the gold standard!

>The 1872 presidential election saw the first attempted candidacy of a female when suffragette Victoria Woodhull announced her campaign. With precarious finances and a tiny support base, she had no realistic chance of winning. In addition, she was not constitutionally eligible to serve as president, not because she was a woman (the Constitution not mentioning gender as part of the prequisites to be president), but because she was a year short of the constitutionally mandated age of 35 to serve. Woodhull was arrested one day before Election Day for publishing an obscene newspaper and could not even vote in her own election. Several suffragettes, including Susan B. Anthony, were also arrested and fined for attempting to vote in the presidential election.

Lady just showed her stocking to me the other day and smiled. Should I ask her father for her to be my bride or is all this just a sign of her being a harlot?

FUCK Southerners
We should revoke their citizenship
Simple as

Depression just around the corner from the usual cause of overspeculation and building way more infrastructure than there was demand for.

>t.William Jennings Bryan
The only way you'd be able to pull your meme ideas off is if you won the Presidency!

It is a bit odd to have five different railroad lines serving your small town, I will admit. It just seemed like such a good investment.

Attached: rr.jpg (1372x1119, 231K)

Austria gib Trento and Trieste

>my little sister country can't be this cute, 1800s edition

Attached: Friedrich_Overbeck_008.jpg (2024x1818, 360K)

Dude...if this is 1872, William Jennings Bryan is 12 years old.

Everything is great chaps

Just wait for the Mahdi

I hope soon we BTFO Turkshits and restore Constantinopol and put cross on top of Hagia Sophia

well at least the recent events will bring back the king

The government promised us excellent farmland out here in west Kansas. Instead there's nothing but drought, dust, and locusts.

I dunno Ivan, better check out what those pesky anglos are doing in Afghanistan before that

Also the bank back east is calling in the mortage on your farm.

What do you guys think of that electricty fad? I'd say it will never catch on. I mean, wires with shit that can kill you right there on the spot?

I just hope Angloids and Frogs will not interfere this time. Traitors of Christendom if you ask me.

We never will, friend. Never.

>A new day dawned for Western farmers with the Homestead Act of 1862, vigorously opposed by the South prior to the Civil War. The law provided that a settler could acquire as much as 160 acres of land by residing on it for 5 years, improving it, and paying a fee of around $10. Preemption, or first choice, was still possible for certain squatters at $1.25 an acre. The Homestead Act marked a drastic departure from previous policy. Hithero public land had been sold primarily for revenue, now it was to be given away to encourage a rapid filling of empty spaces, and to provide a stimulus to the family farm, the "backbone of democracy". The new law was a blessing to thousands of farmers who had not been able to afford an adequate plot of land back east, and during the four decades following its passage half a million families settled in the vast open stretches. Five times that many families purchased their land from railroads, land companies, or the states.

>But the Homestead Act proved a cruel hoax much of the time. The standard 160 acres, quite adequate in the well-watered Mississippi Basin, proved very much inadequate in the dry High Plains. Thousands of homesteaders, perhaps two thirds, were forced to abandon a hopeless struggle against drought. Uncle Sam, it was said, bet 160 acres against $10 that the settler could not live on his homestead for 5 years. One of these failed gambles in Greer County, Oklahoma, inspired a folk song--"Hurrah for Greer County/The land of the free/The land of the bedbug, grasshopper, and flea/I'll sing of its praises/Tell of its fame/While starving to death on my government claim." Naked fraud was spawned by the Homestead Act. Perhaps ten times more of the public domain ended up in the hands of land-grabbing promoters than in the hands of actual farmers. Unscrupulous companies would use "dummy" homesteaders--often aliens bribed with cash or liquor--to grab the best properties containing timber, oil, or minerals. Settlers would later swear they had "improved" the property by erected a 12x14 dwelling, which turned out to mean 12 by 14 inches. In later years government officials were only partially successful in untangling the web of deceit. So went the US government's first great giveaway program.

I hope so, it would be such dickmove if you will hahaha it would be sooo bad if you and England Navy seablockade Constantinopol right before we take it and treaten Russia war declaration if even one Russian soldier enters the city hahaaha

>funniest thing is that at the end Russia did win the Great Game but the revolution meant it was no matter

Attached: A removable house for fraudulent purposes (A.B. Richardson--'Beyond the Mississippi' 1869) (403x278, 48K)

And 150 years later it's still a desolate waste country.

Attached: hunting in greer county oklahoma.jpg (800x600, 108K)

PYCCKNE ECTb? ))))

:(
Кaк живeтcя в Кoвeнcкoй гyбepнии?

rip juarez

Eh, UK won the friggin second world war as well but lost the empire she fought for not many years after that. History is funny that way.

AHEM
Fuck we*sterner
Fuck c*ristians
Fuck the me*ji government

Attached: 3.jpg (500x465, 111K)

Most funny thing it was Soviet goverment that support every anti-British rebellions in the world.
Still Russia was dead at that point.

>Pyongyang residents burning up US navy vessel
It was an omen

>implying that we should give the southerners the right to exist, let alone get their statehood back
If only Sherman marched through every town in the South

There is absolutely no evidence that an ancestor of Kim Il Sung participated in burning the General Sherman outside Best Korean propaganda.

Based, Joseon pride worldwide