What happens in the upper part of Michigan, and why isn't it its own state or part of Minnesota?

What happens in the upper part of Michigan, and why isn't it its own state or part of Minnesota?

Attached: 300px-Michigan_Köppen.svg.png (300x420, 34K)

Because Ohio got the Toledo strip, thus the Federal Government gave them the upper peninsula.

>What happens in the upper part of Michigan
finns

>why isn't it its own state or part of Minnesota?
reconciliation prize for losing to the OHIO BVLLS, see

You mean Wisconsin dumb ass

>part of Minnesota
Do Americans really

i can't grasp the idea of every in my city not being italian and basically being spic looking

Attached: staten island.jpg (1200x675, 208K)

I live in the upper peninsula. Ask me anything.

Attached: 49E17A9100005785462657imagea1_1520257698320.jpg (634x739, 87K)

Do you have Finnish ancestry

My grandmother is 100% Finnish

Cultists and a handful of abandoned mining towns. Not that I’m complaining; I’d rather have undisturbed wildlife than more concrete jungles turning the Great Lakes into acid baths like with Lake Erie.

do you have autism?

If we took down the bridge, would you die?

Yes

What's your biggest city and industry?

I would like that. Fuck trolls. Take down the international bridge too.

Marquette
Hockey players

Ever been to Escanaba?

Thats where Gay, Michigan is. They've got a bar called the Gay bar.

>warm

Yes you?

This is my 24th year in a row living here, bud.
Moved from Arkansas when I was only 18.

Ever been to the Soo?

sadly I spend all my time here with my wife and sometimes in Iron Mountain or Norway.
Don’t get out to the great waters much

i always thought it was a meme that yoopers call us trolls because we live below the bridge

Visit Grand Marais sometime
I've never heard anyone actually use it

Because of history. The first reply provides an accurate, if cursory, explanation. The Upper Peninsula was compensation for Michigan ceding the Toledo Strip to Ohio.

At the time--and if I remember correctly--the U.P. was considered a wasteland, devoid of economic value or productive resources. Not long afterward, copper and other minerals were discovered and mined in abundance.

Also--as a Michigan resident--this entire state fucking sucks. The U.P. is cool, but living in Michigan is like:
>no compelling or interesting cities, Detroit is unwalkable nightmare
>suburbs are vanilla trash

In essence:
>if you want to go to a halfway decent city (maybe Chicago), you have to drive at least three or four hours, assuming you live in Mid- or SE-Michigan
>if you want to get to some halfway decent nature (e.g., somewhere you can actually camp without white trash everywhere), you have to drive at least three or fours past Gaylord or the Bridge

Fuck this state and its shit weather and shit people.