Be me

>Be me
>Fly to Europe
>Rent a car at the airport
>It's a manual
>I never drove manual before
>Spend an hour driving around the parking lot, figuring out how to use it properly
>Grind the hell out of the gears before I get comfortable with shifting

Thanks for the free driver's education, Europe.

Attached: 1453425745405[1].jpg (477x539, 15K)

Holy fucking... BASED!!!

but seriously do share how you drive a manual

why can’t eurotards just drive automatic like normal people
>b-but muh fuel efficiency
meme, the difference is negligible
>uhhh muh feelings about having control or some meme shit
fuck off
The one point they are willing to concede is that auto is better in cities, which is odd considering the fact that eurotards are much more urbanized than us. It makes even less sense for them to drive manual.

The truth is no good reason. It might be a bit cheaper to repair, and it might be a bit more involved ("fun") to drive, but that's about it.

I own both and autos are good for commutes, but manuals have SOUL

Only females drive automatic cars

I rented a Dacia Sandero with a 5-speed manual shift because I saw it on Top Gear. Basically you just turn the key, step on the clutch, grab the gear-shift, shove it to the left and then up, then take your foot off the clutch pedal as you step on the gas pedal. This puts it in first gear. If you want to go faster, you hit the clutch pedal again and click the shifter down. This puts it into 2nd gear. 3rd gear from 2nd gear was up-right-up. Etc.

Imagine you're driving 45 mph in the 4th gear at 1500-2000 rpm on a small road and you want to overtake someone really quickly (eg. the other lane is oncoming traffic)
Before pressing the gas and switching the lane, what gear do you go to:
1) stay in the 4th
2) 5th gear
3) 3rd gear

In the Dacia? I think I only used 5th gear when I got close to 100km per hour. Probably stay in 4th, but slam on the clutch and go into 5th if the RPMs go too high.

>american logic

in whatever car that does 1500-2000 rpm at 45mph
also, if that was a dacia and you were going over 90kmph in the 4th, you were probably bullying the engine

>overtake if there is oncoming traffic, just do it quickly
Belgian driving skills.

I mean if the other lane is FOR oncoming traffic so you don't want to stay there long even if there's nobody coming your way when you check before starting to overtake

I'm sure I did a lot of things wrong; it was my first time driving a manual. But I didn't crash or cause any dangerous situations, so, I guess it was ok.

also, if you haven't been in more than 10 situations where you were an inch away from getting killed on the road, you're pretty much a pussy grandma driver
i bet you always just stick to the highway like an npc

only retards drive manuals therefore why americans do.

Na, I think human lives are just considered more valuable here, as we are not a third world country.

Pussy grandma driver here and proud.

Most people there buy automatic cars now, only people with used cars from the 90s or early 00s have manual.

3rd gear for the most power on the power band

i wasn't judging or anything
just asked the question because you basically said
>If you want to go faster, go one gear up
And it's a bit more complicated than that
Typically, in normal cars you have the most torque - ability to accelerate at ~3k rpm (it's the sweetspot, the torque-rpm graph is a concave curve). And your speed on the road is proportional to your rpm, where the gear you're in sets the proportionality. If you're at 2k rpm and want to accelerate, downshifting will make the motor spin faster at your current speed of the car, bringing your rpm closer to the 3k where you can accelerate the most. So you actually downshift in that situation above

Also, if you're going too fast for your gear, your rpm is above the sweetspot and you no longer have the ability to accelerate further (less torque), so you upshift, lowering rpm while maintaining your speed, and you can accelerate more, until you feel like your car is running out of power and then you upshift again
btw here is the graph
switching gears just manipulates the relationship between how fast you're going and how much your engine spins, like on a bike

Attached: Engine-Torque-Graph-02-300x265.jpg (300x265, 14K)

Based