Korea: Government Zoning Gone Wrong

Korea: Government Zoning Gone Wrong.

My brother's Korean gf told me that Korea is filled with commie blocks because the government has super strict commie style regulations that makes it impossible to build houses in the countryside. That's why you see cities right beside rice fields instead of a the apartment>suburbs>rice fields pattern you see in normal countries.

Also wartime Korean houses were ghetto so people started to idolize apartments instead. As a result the government bulldozed entire historical districts and got rid of natural roads and replaced it with grids of apartments.

Attached: Anseong-Farm-Land-Pyeongtaek-Korea (10)-1000x1000.jpg (392x313, 69K)

Kim should have bulldozed an entire country

Attached: 1492168572-149216767818050-kim-1.jpg (590x350, 44K)

Yes, we demolished all the historical districts 60s~90s. Ironically. its the foreigners live in Seoul who protested and complaint against Government not to demolish traditional house.
Korean didnt give a fuck
Traditional houses in Seoul like pic are mostly bulldozed by government.

Pyongyang did better city plan.

Attached: 한옥.png (1000x664, 661K)

Really sad. Its like your country avoided communism for no reason.

Japan developed its cityscape naturally overtime so ancient winding alleys still exist today. It ads a nice vibe.

Korea felt empty when I visited.

Attached: Omoide-Yokocho-e1493671671671-1170x660.jpg (1170x660, 203K)

Fortunately, Foreigners bought some traditional house to preserve.It was really cheap at that time. Now the value soared. They did really well investment looool.

Death to America.

Ironically, Foreigners who visited North Korea say North preserved historical district really well compared to South.Despite a lot of them were destroyed during the war, they tried to preserve leftover.

Attached: 개성.png (740x497, 694K)

If your government annexes the North will it bulldoze it?

I heard its pretty authoritarian for a Republic

I dont think so. We didnt realize value of traditional house until early 2000s. Now Korean government dont bulldoze historical things.

I think we will preserve historical North Korea village like pic.

Attached: 개성2.png (501x371, 494K)

I don't blame them. Its the cheapest and fastest way to urbanize a nation

Attached: 1519853038411.jpg (2317x1633, 1.02M)

i blame them, they set up a densely populated capital and encouraged its growth. it's within fucking artillery range of the north.

Yes we were experiencing over-fast growth(Gdp growth 10~15%) and over-population(Birth rate 4~5).

Government couldnt take this massive change in short time.Tons of housing were needed for new urban citizen.

Yes. They should have not urbanized and stayed an agrarian economy. The Norks would have never taken advantage of that

or they could've you know, relocated their capital and government infrastructure a wee bit south of the DMZ.

I don't think that'd have gone down too well with the people.

why's that? they could simply have established the capital further south and leave Seoul the way it was. the fact that they encouraged its density by establishing government there and increasing it's density by improving infrastructure is part of the reason why the north has such significant leverage over the south.

also, who gives a fuck if the south koreans were agarians. the only thing holding the north back was the USA. the entire south could go back to the stone age and the Americans would still have enough firepower to defend them.

Because of its historical relevance as capital of Korea, moving the capital would have been an admission that the govt. couldn't protect its people, and a concession of the north to the Kim government.

Thats not how it works. By bolstering the nation's value on the on the world stage, Korea was in a better position to secure America's willingness to protect the nation in case of war. After what happened in vietnam, US became wary of risking another land war in Asia, which unsurprisingly enough, coincided with the beginnings of indigenous Korean arms industry.

define traditional house for me.
like really old ass house with no doors/guarded by gates or single houses from kdrama.

Reminds me a lot of Hanoi.
For a commie country, Vietnam has a lot if cities with soul
It's a shame Korean cities are so Seoulless

Hanyeong, i'm learning hangul right now it's pretty easy.