Why did some white people immigrated to Brazil instead of the USA ?

Why did some white people immigrated to Brazil instead of the USA ?

I mean, the USA was knew as the country in which you could become very rich with only $1 at your arrival in New York and the USA became the superpower that we know, the Roman Empire of modern times.

Brazil is just a failure as a country.

Attached: images (1).jpg (300x168, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/31/the-haves-and-the-have-nots/
youtube.com/watch?v=zvsWVdsEL0I
youtube.com/watch?v=aKfHia_bo64
youtube.com/watch?v=1qufwdCM134
youtube.com/watch?v=_FLb8oVeyaw
youtube.com/watch?v=_tfnOJ0ssEM
youtube.com/watch?v=UzODV59S_Ts
youtube.com/watch?v=hRtM0RYcamU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if i recall correctly, brazil got mostly italians/spaniards/portuguese immigrants

Not true. The life for most white immigrants in Brazil was promising and many of them became wealthy landlords and capitalists

My italian great grandparents had previously been in brazil before they came to america

Because Brazil offered plots of land to immigrants, plus a lot of people simply got scammed into moving here. Also it's not like they had a crystal ball to know which country would work out; and Brazil was surprisingly stable for most of the XIX country compared to the endless coups that happened in most of Latin America so it stood out a bit.

Land gibs, also back in the 1800s the differences between NA and SA weren't that pronounced. They honestly still aren't today if you are middle class or higher

LAND

all the unemployed people in France should be forced to migrate to Brazil, desu

>Latin American """""""""""""middle class"""""""""""""
It's mostly a meme, nigs in US ghettoes have higher incomes.

I saw a video about the economical history of LatAm and Brazil was consistently at the bottom for most of the time

This

Imagine being an ethnic German or Italian living in some gang infested Brazilian shithole while your second cousins are comfy in middle class Europe

Attached: 1527174293263.jpg (1024x678, 221K)

Which video and with which sources? Either way, while Brazil was never "rich", it was one of the most stable countries in LA until the 1890s when it had a severe economic crisis plus the recent regime change, then after the turn of the century picked up again until the great depression.

because brazil wasn't a failure of a country in the late 19th/early 20th centuries. It was a young, developing country with a lot of potential, very similar to the USA.
Plus, the brazilian government offered free plots of land to immigrants and paid their boat trip from Europe to here.

So, you're Giovanni/João/Ramón, you can either spend all your money to go to protestant, english-speaking, cold as fuck winters and hot as fuck summers USA and maybe get a better life there or you could go to to sunny, warm, fertile, catholic and romance-speaking Brazil where you get a free plot of land to work and plow the land and plow your qt 3.14 latina wife.
What would you pick?

Now, race and politics did play a part in explaining why the USA is so much richer than Brazil nowadays but the fact is that the north american part of the continent is simply much richer in natural resources than south america, at least in terms of what natural resources were in high demand during the 19th and 20th centuries.
The USA had/has near infinite, easily-accessible reservoirs of coal and oil which gave them a massive edge over literally every other nation in the world. Geography, soil, everything. From literally all points of view, the natural landscape of the USA is better than ours. Literally the only downside they have is the occasional hurricane/snowstorm.

Attached: 1549821501872.jpg (854x570, 128K)

da bunda

Honestly fuck my ancestors for picking this particular shithole to move to.

They basically went to Sao Paulo and the South.
Sao Paulo is the wealthiest part in Latam.
And almost all people with italian and german heritage are upper-middle class
I lived in Spain and i have a better life here

The immigrants went to São Paulo and the south. São Paulo's growth rate was as high as Argentina and USA. This state alone received 70% of the Italians.

No it's not. A ghetto nibba in the US lives a shirt live in an extremely hostile environment. A middle class or higher latamite live in extremely peaceful neighborhoods where anything out of the ordinary rarely occurs. They also have access to better healthcare, institutions and services than a ghetto nib on food stamps. GTFO you self-loathing soup slurper

Attached: 1560266116000.png (464x401, 132K)

People with an american income are called "upper-middle class" in Brazil.
And i have never seen people with recent euro heritage that was not an upper-middle here in SP

If you look like an european, people here in Sao Paulo assume you´re upper-middle or elite

The 5% poorest Murricans make more money than the 68% poorest in the planet so yes it's true.
>A ghetto nibba in the US lives a shirt live in an extremely hostile environment. A middle class or higher latamite live in extremely peaceful neighborhoods
Crime rates are shit in most of LA save for a few blessed parts like Chile so wrong again.

>They also have access to better healthcare, institutions and services
Hahaha NOPE. Go away from the bigger cities in LA and good fucking luck finding treatment for cancer and heart diseases, functioning public transport, decent roads etc.

>Crime rates are shit in most of LA save for a few blessed parts like Chile so wrong again.
Bro let's split it by neighborhoods. Where the middle class lives in most latam countries usually rarely see crimes. This applies even in my country and yours, otherwise these people wouldn't live there. I'm pretty sure the murder rate in my neighborhood is

No, there is literally no comparison, like I said the 5% poorest in the US are richer than the 68% poorest in the world:

economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/31/the-haves-and-the-have-nots/

Not to mention that if your income is above R$ 3000,00 in here you are already in the top 10% richest, it's a completely different world.

>what is purchasing power
I do think you have a point, but it's probably false that hoodrats have better lives than 70% of people on earth
They get more money than you, yes, but the cost of living in America is comparatively high

Man who cares if they 68% richer than the rest of the world. You very well know than $1k goes waaaaayyyyy farther in any of our shitholes compared to the us. So weatlh is all relative in this respect

>like I said the 5% poorest in the US are richer than the 68% poorest in the world:
I thought it was more when you know Asians and Africans make up 80% of the world population.

I´ve seen a study by Thomas Pikkety saying that the bottom 50% in America have a GDP PPP of 16,000 dollars, the same as Latam, and the top 10% had a GDP PPP of 300,000 dollars

This is where the euro-brazilians in Sao Paulo live

youtube.com/watch?v=zvsWVdsEL0I

youtube.com/watch?v=aKfHia_bo64

youtube.com/watch?v=1qufwdCM134

youtube.com/watch?v=_FLb8oVeyaw

youtube.com/watch?v=_tfnOJ0ssEM

youtube.com/watch?v=UzODV59S_Ts

>what is purchasing power
Something that Americans are absolutely not lacking, you live in a fairly cheap country unless you're in specific parts of CA/NY.
>$1k goes waaaaayyyyy farther in any of our shitholes
Not really, who cares if 300 different types of beans are cheaper when anything tech related costs 3x as much?

Do you know what is a purchase parity?
I used to make 3000 euros in Spain, more than 90% of the spaniards
I went to NY and i barely could stay in that city for 2 weeks

youtube.com/watch?v=hRtM0RYcamU

>you will never immigrate to Brazil in the 1830s
>You will never be given a large plot of land in the south and spend your days farming and fucking your qt latina wife
>You will never live under the rule of based Pedro ii
It's not fair

NY is overpriced like San Francisco for obvious reasons, most of the US is pretty cheap, especially with regards to consumer goods.

You don't necessarily need the latest tech in order to survive, but you probably need access to cheap beans when they are a staple in our diets

Salaries in Spain are very low.
They just don´t starve because of the government gibs

In NY everything is expensive as fuck.
You just don´t starve because of the junkie food

*Didn't inform themselves of the countries available and just wanted to get out of Europe
*Didn't want to learn English and just opted for a country with a closer language

>You don't necessarily need the latest tech in order to survive
We're talking about middle class quality of life, not miserable people trying to get by.

Stop replying to the Colombian poster
Pretty sure it's the Colombian from some time ago that used to argue Colombia was First World if you just disregarded 95% of the country and just concentrated in the rich white neighborhoods in the big cities lol

Never said that. Why don't you read the thread before posting nonsense you illiterate taco eater

Brazil was doing fine in the 19th and early 20th century. That's the best part. It was seen as a place of huge potential, just like the US.
It's a shithole now, because it didn't improve.

>not being a solipsist and disregarding everyone else
Yeah my GDP per capita is about 50 trillion.

See Can you undesrtand that the euro-brazilians/japanese are the elite??

>I used to make 3000 euros in Spain, more than 90% of the Spaniards

I'm sorry what lmao, why lie like this?

replace Spaniards with Germans and you're right

Sorry, but you Colombians are not worthy of that much attention

He was probably basing it on the comment about R$3k being over 90% of Brazilians, which is actually close to being true (R$ 3390 puts you in the top 14%). This place is such a dump it never ceases to impress.

Attached: 20161017-piramide_renda_brasil.png (600x400, 29K)

Language maybe? An Italian or Spaniard can basically talk to a Portuguese person. They'd have to learn English from scratch.

Actually we got like 3 times more Spaniards than Germans. It's actually weird how many Spanish migrants came here when they had so many countries with their own language to go. I myself have 3/8 Manolo ancestry.

There were more Spanish immigrants to Brazil than Germans

They didn't have the internet to get their latest dank memes

There are third world regions in the first world and there are first world regions in the third world

B U N D A
U
N
D
A

And what makes you think your opinion is relevant? I, or any other South American can speak confidently here since we have always had historical ties with bostil, whether we like it or not. You on the other hand, don't belong in this thread

Back in the day, the difference in quality of life in both countries wasn't that great. Also, the USA wasn't really nice to meds (they weren't even considered white), so they undestandably preferred to come here. There are other factors, such as no assimilation requirements, immigrants could go to ethnic colonies and build a miniature version of their homeland if they wanted, hell, for a long time this was mandatory, immigrants weren't even allowed to settle in cities, being forcibly sent to live with their people in colonies.

Not quite correct. The USA did, in fact, plenty of free land for immigrants, but Brazil was very suspicious of giving land to foreigners. Immigrants had to live in the country for years before they were allowed to even buy land, let alone being given it for free. Of course, none of this was mentioned for potential immigrants still in Europe.

Besides, Brazil wasn't the only immigration destination in South America. Argentina received even more immigrants than Brazil, and the other countries received some too.

Those comparisons are dumb and useless.
the rich 1% of of (white) Brazilians in Sao Paulo live better than some destitute Black people in rural Alabama? Well, congrats, I guess

But I'm Latinx, too :3 !
Are you really gonna treat me like that?

Mamadou OP asked about EUROPEANS going to Brazil

The EURO-BRAZILIANS wth recent europeans ancestrality (16%-18% of the country) are the elite.
End

Well basically that's the point I've been trying to make in thid thresd. It's a shotty achievement ofc, but still true. Also it's not the top 1%. I'd say it's closer to the 25% and this applies to most could tries South of the top grande including Mexico or mine. I find funny how this board is filled to the brim with self loathing Latinos

Ah. Seems weird. Portugal is poorer than Spain and I make 1500, and know many people that make more than 3000.

>Thid
This
>Thresd
Thresd
>Shotty
Shitty
>Could tries
Countries
>Top
Rio

Fix'd*

>Thread
Fuck I hate this phone. Sorry guys I'm not at home atm

>Self-loathing
I just don't care to cherry pick to live my fantasy

So you really think that a nog in some Baltimore hood has a better life than a middle class Latino? Be completely objective and think this thoroughly before spouting your (posible) self hate filled response

They statistically make more money and live in better houses than middle class Latinos. I mean, Murrican nigs and spics have kinda similar quality of life stats, do you really think that poor people would leave LA in droves to go to the US if they could just try to become middle class in their own countries instead?

I don´t know if youre mexican or a retarded chicano i a proxy

>if they could just try to become middle class in their own countries instead?

Poor people usually don´t become middle class in Latam, retarded.
And i talking about REAL middle class, people who live in neighbourhoods like Bela Vista and Higienopolis in Sao Paulo.

Middle class is not people who make the average salary, your fucking retarded.
Middle class, at least in Latam, is qualified people who have european standards of living, your dumb munku

Real middle class in Brazil is like 20% of people.
Rest is poor and miserable

>"Middle class" is the top 10% of the income bracket
kek

Life in the USA was pretty harsh too. Have you ever read letters from the migrants? It sounds like hell

I was told there would be good beef

spoiler
there was

Earning US salary puts you squarely in the top 1% here

Perhaps, I don't know.
Is it better to be poor in a rich country or rich in a poor country?
I didn't expect a Brazilian flag to be butthurt at me for making that post. Why?

Sissy eurocuck

M8 but middle class Latinos don't go to the us to live in hoods, lower class Latinos do. Middle class latins live either in the suburbs like middle class muricans or in little shoeboxes in Urban areas

Personally I'd prefer being g rich in a poor country, although you might disagree with me on this

Brazil's economic performance is restrained by the massive size of the country and the disparity between the regions. The south became fairly prosperous in the late 19th century, but at same time the northeast stagnated. Thus the national average income is kept at a low level through history. A more fair comparison would be southern states and Argentina, for example

You'd have to survive the Ragamuffin War, but then you might just get a comfy estância as well. And slaves. But there are not latinas here unless you live in the border with Uruguay/Argentina

Attached: Brenner.jpg (913x633, 229K)