Starting to learn hindi out of an interest in indian culture, bollywood, etc...

Starting to learn hindi out of an interest in indian culture, bollywood, etc, and because i am surrounded by indian/pakistani/bengali workers everywhere i go. What tips can you give someone who has no cultural root in that part of the world, when he tries to learn the language? Things like words not to use, cultural things that i should know, differences between speech of muslims and non-muslims? For example do muslim hindi speakers use the word "bhagavan"?

Attached: 1479409969205.jpg (297x400, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5NitJUsoMxU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NdqbI0_0GsM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why not urdu? it uses modified version of your script and have more arabic and persian loanwords

>workers
just call em slaves
youtube.com/watch?v=5NitJUsoMxU

>What tips can you give someone who has no cultural root in that part of the world, when he tries to learn the language?
I watched only Hindi serials to learn Hindi. You’ll pick it up within a week.
>Things like words not to use, cultural things that i should know, differences between speech of muslims and non-muslims?
That would be Urdu which is Paki-Hindi iirc
>For example do muslim hindi speakers use the word "bhagavan"?
No idea m8

yes indeed, but could i speak with southern indians or bengalis urdu? i doubt it would go well, they learn hindi in school and not urdu

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NdqbI0_0GsM
Pepehands

can all indians understand urdu if they speak hindi? there must be differences, no? also, you are after all indian yourself, so it would be difficult NOT to learn hindi faster than me. but yeah i am already watching a relatively new bollywood movie right now

>but could i speak with southern indians or bengalis urdu?
This is something I can help you with tho. Tamil Muslims speak Urdu. My friend Khaja bhai works in your cunt only, tell him to bring more dates next time.

South Indians don't even speak hindi

> For example do muslim hindi speakers use the word "bhagavan

if you mean pakistanis, then nope they use khoda or allah

hindi-urdu is same language with different formal registers, which basically no one uses IRL

what region are you from and do you understand urdu?

>you are after all indian yourself, so it would be difficult NOT to learn hindi faster than me
lol I only knew “Aur ek Pani Puri, bhai”( one more pani puri, bro) until I watched Ekta kapoor’s serials.
>can all indians understand urdu if they speak hindi
Yes and no. Urdu has Persian vocabulary in it. So native Hindi speakers won’t understand Persian phrases
>but yeah i am already watching a relatively new bollywood movie right now
What u watching

wrong, the ones i work with speak it fluently with their coworkers from new delhi. you mean as a mother tongue, which is true, they speak malayalam and tamil languages as mother tongue as far as i know

>
can all indians understand urdu if they speak hindi? there must be differences, no

98% of urdu verbs are from sanskrit and 75% of the vocab is from sanskrit, the remaining 25% is from persian (and arabic via arabic loan words in persian)

even in that 25%, like a big chunk (50% maybe) of words are found in hindi too

so yeah, native hindi speakers can understand urdu 95-97% barring maybe one or two words

South. And no, I speak neither Urdu or Hindi. But I do know phrases like Khuda Hafeez etc etc

ah, i see. yes i recall learning that fact a while ago. but should i start learning urdu instead of hindi? i am just going for phonetic learning not writing

> hafeez

the movie called PK
so if i speak hindi instead of urdu will pakistanis still understand? after all i see pakistanis and indians talk with each other constantly in hindi

That’s the thing dude. They speak it outside of Tamil Nadu and kerala. They don’t speak it inside the state, they refuse to help people who speak Hindi there. Have to speak with the tards in mallu or English

start with urdu since you know a lot of the alphabet and the vocabulary will be much more persianized and hence arabized

once you know fluent urdu, you can easily understand hindi. Thing is, hindi learning resources online are x100 more than Urdu (duolingo for example)

Maaf karo bhai. Tamil pronunciation.

i would have a better bet going for hindi instead no? i have thought about visiting iran also but since that is illegal for citizens of ksa learning urdu/persian vocabulary would mean a little waste of time. but i will consider learning some main things nonetheless, who knows what i will do in the future

hindi and urdu are the same language man, they will understand it easily

i am actually ditching hindi learning resources since they want me to start writing and reading that shit. lol, no way. movies and series are the way to go for me. but those are in hindi and not in urdu, i think nearly nothing is produced by urdu speakers that you can watch. do they even have series or movies?

very well

hindi = urdu for all practical purposes
urdu people just watch hindi movies
the difference is negligible
this is why indians and pakistanis can have flamewars online, they both understand each other

of course someone might say urdu use more arabic/persian words and hindi use more sanskrit words, but hindi poets use arabic and persian words a lot. a lot of poems in high school we read were ghazals with lots of persian vocab.

interesting. thanks for the info

This is also why >we are immune to these autistic flamewars. When was the last time anybody named Sriram Ramachandramoorthy posted PKMB memes in Tamil kek