Americans of/int/, do you know anyone with Native surnames?

Americans of/int/, do you know anyone with Native surnames?

Attached: Languages_of_the_American_Continent.png (624x691, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esteban_Moctezuma
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, they are a bit rare but I've encountered like 20-30 people with native surnames in my life

I'm an Hernandez. So yes maybe kinda?

Damn, they must be based.

Paternal Indian genes must be rare

What are some examples of native surnames?

most common lastname in peru is native, it's quispe, other common ones are mamani, choque and huaman

By far the most common I've seen is Xochitl, for girls. Means flower.

I only know of Cocom, Canché, Qué

That's a first name

no

how is 20-30 people a bit rare wtf

why do peruvians have native last names?

My best friend has one

Only Indians (and ironically not even all of them) have Native surnames.

I've never met someone who was not a full blooded Indian or nearly so with a Native surname.

But then again, I am a pretty sheltered person, so some people MIGHT have them, but they most certainly aren't very common in Congolombia.

Yes, Mayan names are common in Yucatan Peninsula.
The most common surname in Yucatan is "Chan".

Attached: images - 2019-06-19T003735.746.jpg (640x480, 34K)

Ixtlilxóchitl
Tezozómoc
Quauhtehuanitzin

Honestly, I don't remember how the others were spelled desu

Also, is "Moctezuma" his surname?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esteban_Moctezuma

I've met a lot of people in my life. 20-30 is honestly super fucking rare now that I think about it.

I was reading the paper about an accident in Guatemala, a lot of the victims had native last names, Mayan possibly.

Attached: 20190412_165249.jpg (3264x1836, 1.71M)

Lmao I have a uni professor from Peru whose lastname is ''Choque Quispe''. How likely do you think it is that he plays dota? He's pretty young and I know it's really common in Peru

Yes
>Quispe
>Mamani

My grandparents. Tlahuel and Coyotl, they're both very common in Puebla near the Cholula pyramid. Specifically Santa Isabel Cholula (me), and Cuautlancingo, a neighboring town. They're in Nauhuatl

Attached: 1560066491568.jpg (500x500, 54K)

Salvadoran here. That map is not quite correct.

There's only 1 (one) native american language alive in El Salvador, and it's not Mayan like the map would have you believe. It's Uto-Aztecan, very closelly related to Nahuatl and actually called "Nawat" in the language itself, while called Pipil by academics (name comes from Nahuatl and its meaning is actually pejorative so its use is discouraged by speakers).

Only a few hundred people speak it natively (all of them also fluent in Spanish), the youngest of them around 60 years old iirc, which means the language will be considered extinct within a few decades.

There's a few sporadic revival efforts and a few "young" people who have learned the language as L2, though.

And to answer your question: I don't even know what a Native American surname would be like. Pretty sure even the most "native" people have a Spanish ancestor or two, and all of them have Spanish surnames (and usually given names too.)

Going through my friends list, there's also
Xilot
Teloxa
Chilchoa
Toxqui
Tlaczani
Xelhua
Toxtle
Cuahuitzo
Cuautle
Cuamani
Moyotl
Coyopol
Teutle
Apanco

Attached: IMG_20190309_234225.png (727x608, 274K)

I actually have a native surname