What does Jow Forums know about tornadoes?

What does Jow Forums know about tornadoes?

I was born during this one en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Plainfield_tornado youtu.be/vzcjXU-NIgQ and almost died before I was born, because my mom was being transported to the hospital.

Attached: tornado tracks.jpg (2670x1447, 1.61M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_chasing.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They only travel in straight lines?

I used to be obsesed about them as a kid. I remembered several events. Though that was a long time ago. I mostly remember now that there is the ranking scale F1-F5 and I think most of them occour in Oklahoma. I've never seen one in real life.

>build wood house
>tornado swoops it away
>build another wood house
>???
Everything that I know

Depends on the pressure cell, sometimes they double back

The most destructive ones cleave right on through, which is why the F5 Plainfield one only lasted 10 minutes but wrecked a shitton of land.

they absorb pepsi cans well

The big tornadoes will wreck brick and stone too.

you realize that F5 tornadoes can destroy reinforced concrete, right

why would you build an expensive house since it can be torn down just as easily as a wood house? There's a reason why houses are made of wood in the midwest.

I live in Milwaukee, there was an F1 Tornado that hit us in 2000. Knocked over massive trees. It's incredibly rare to get a tornado here.

>fifty-six
>56
dios mio...

Attached: 1546895303420.jpg (1000x1475, 200K)

Heb probably doesn't realize. It's easy to just parrot memes you find on Jow Forums especially American ones. Euro's don't have the powerful North American tornadoes either.

Keep a few cabins open for us FIBs as refuge ya

Attached: 1400477112033.jpg (200x200, 17K)

... is that really the reason, though? The Midwest gets cold in winter and blazing hot in summer. Concrete, brick and marble-based structures, floors and walls can exacerbate extreme weather and isn't ideal for regions that see great climatic variation.

It's actually a problem in some parts of India, albeit not an awful or unmanageable one. Winters in the north here are colder than you might expect--temperatures in Delhi can approach freezing in late December and early January. That's not bad when you have heating, but most folks below the Himalayas don't.

And because Indian houses are usually built to keep cool for the rest of the year, they can be pretty dreadful in winter.

please learn how to drive when you come up here thank you

Sorry, got kind of off topic. Point being, I'm not sure whether houses outside the real depths of Tornado Alley are constructed to be easily rebuilt in the event of disaster.

>Heb probably doesn't realize.
Well that's why I made this thread, to educate

>Euro's don't have the powerful North American tornadoes either.
We are basically the only continent that gets assfucked by tornadoes, so I don't expect foreigners to know. However it is our job to teach them about our country, because they can't possibly know.

>... is that really the reason, though?
partially

>The Midwest gets cold in winter and blazing hot in summer.
Yes, you are definitely right there. However the midwest is mostly in the Koppen climate category of "humid continental" which is not ideal for wooden structures due to moisture rot. Brick traps temperature very well but is only used in safe areas like Chicago. I suppose the lakes moderate temperature, but Chicago still gets pretty hot.

The US midwest would be pretty screwed without air conditioning, just like New Mexico and Arizona.

That's fine, I was in Madison 2 weeks ago for a wedding and passed by like 4 car accidents

>partially

Not doubting you, but it doesn't make [much] sense to me. I was under the impression that the vast majority of tornadoes aren't sufficiently strong to do serious damage to most well-constructed houses--and that even people living smack-dab in the center of Tornado Alley aren't likely to ever actually end up experiencing one.

I'm not making much of a point with what I'm gonna say, but I've been around a few tornadoes before. Neither did much except knock down some trees and de-shingle nearby rooftops. I thought most were likely to be like that, rather than Greensburg-tier destruction.

>I mostly remember now that there is the ranking scale F1-F5 and I think most of them occour in Oklahoma. I've never seen one in real life.
That's the Fujita scale, named after a Jap meteorologist who moved here and basically invented the sub-field

Funny enough, he studied under a Japanese meteorologist who planned biological warfare attacks against the USA with weather balloons using prevailing winds. Welp.

If you want to see a tornado, there are many people called "stormchasers" here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_chasing. My friend went on a road trip from Illinois to Texas a month ago to record a storm they were having there, although he's a bit odd since he went to school for meteorology.

Attached: file.png (1100x618, 380K)

>Not doubting you, but it doesn't make [much] sense to me. I was under the impression that the vast majority of tornadoes aren't sufficiently strong to do serious damage to most well-constructed houses

F5 can destroy concrete, so it doesn't make sense to invest a lot of money into materials in the Tornado Alley. It's unironically cheaper to rebuild wood+insulation+electrical wires than it is to replace brick and stone

Isn't also cheaper to build with wood in general? Seems like residential builders would be more inclined to use wood, since they can churn out more suburbs and/or McMansions with it for less cost.

Yeah. America has tons of wood and Canada has even more. Wood was essential during the baby boom to provide for so many homes for a very cheap price.

They kill am*ricoids, therefore they're good

Yes, you are entirely correct. Wood + fiber insulation is the usual method

Brick and stone are usually only used on the west coast and safe places. But as you see in , most of the east is unsafe (the gap is the Appalachian Mountains, so no one lives on them). Although tornadoes are infrequent, it doesn't make sense to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into a property that is just going to get blown over, even considering insurance.

Attached: file.png (1311x624, 255K)

Rude

don't bully texas