How come Europeans have student debt and other college expenses if it's "free"?

How come Europeans have student debt and other college expenses if it's "free"?

Attached: IMG_0318.jpg (481x501, 18K)

living cost

Living isn't free and most Europeans borrow money to live le student lifestyle. On top of that over here they got rid of student handouts so you either have to be poor or take a loan if you want anything

Why isn't Boogie dead yet?

I have 0 debt and no one I know has debt. The only people who have debt are the ones who go to either shit or top tier business schools.

Most of my friends have debts. Highest is 50k for a guy who went to a fraternity and spend the last 6 years going out there times a week, 2 wintersports and 2 vacations every year.
I have 6k debt for 4 holidays and a laptop

Yeah don't know anyone with debt either.
If you're poor, a part time job and scholarships should be enough to ride a full university cursus if you don't blow your money away

How do you ever make a debt? are you allowed to use money if you don't have it? how does that work?

t. never knew someone with a debt

why would you go in debt over consumerist goods? only thing I would go in debt over is a house

why you dont say the b in debt. It is very homo

what is it about his fake teeth that make them look so off?
too white?
too straight?

Why not? 6k paid over 30 years is little money. Hell I save up €1k per month with my part time job

I don't understand why b is in the word to begin with its like gnome or know we don't pronounce the g or k its weird english is weird

Let's say you need 200k to buy a house.
You only have 50k and you gain 2.5k each month
You ask the bank for let's say 180k they give it to you.
With this money you buy your house but then you need to give back the 180k +extra money, so each month you have to give let's say 800€ to the bank for like 20 years

How does that even work? The uni gives you some credit card to swipe whenever you feel? We don't have anything like that here. You pay the annual taxes, after that all your needs will be covered by your money, no one (beside parents) would loan shit to a uni student.

How old are you that you don’t know the concept of credit

look at flag, mommy still handles his finances

In general when you need things you don't have the money and when you have the money you don't need the things anymore.

Teeth look strange when they become whiter than the whites of your eyes

Maybe it's the same as here, unless you have solid warranty no one loans you money. My brother had been working for 10 years, had a non expiring work contract (don't know the term), but when he broke his car and needed 5k to repair it (his savings were blocked in some investment so he couldn't use them at that specific moment) the bank refused him. My dad had to sign for him. He has no criminal record of sort.

No, it's a government agency which allows you to change your monthly student allowance up to €1.1k. It's very flexible and fast. Change before the last day of the month and your money is there by the 20th of next month.
They also are in charge of things like student transportation and free money for people with poor parents.

All of this combined is your debt, but if you complete a bachelor within 10 years, the transportation costs and some free money which was available until 3 years ago will be released.
My total debt is 36k, but 30k of this will be erased when I graduate.

How old are you?

24. I have been enrolled in university for 6 years now and will complete my bachelor in 6.5

Is the principle at the base one of equality (everyone get access to higher instruction that way) or a way to scam students from their future earnings? I never understood that. Here we got "borsa di studio", if you are a good student and poor, you sign up for extra money (and pay no taxes). Many don't get it despite qualifying for it tho, since funds aren't overwhelming.
Most average people need a part time job to pay for extras tho (i had).

Obviously every bank is going to ask for some kind of warranty before giving you loans, that isn’t shocking

But what warranty can a uni student offer? Most of those guys don't have anything and you can't really rely on them completing their studies just because they are there. Dropouts are a risk.
If it's their parents signing then there's no point at all in saying it's the student getting the loan.

It is available to everyone and capped at the same maximum with the only difference being some base amount of money for people with poor parents.
The whole problem is that it used to be 0% interest, but they have start to change that over the years.

I guess they gotta at least count inflation in? What a weird system. How come that guy you mentioned could pay for holidays and drinks with it? I mean, what the fuck? I totally understand the country supporting your basic needs, so you can get a better job and do more for the collectivity, but not for something that optional.
Do you get punished or pardoned if you drop out?

It's your money. It's a loan between you and the government with conditions regarding education. Shitloads of people use it for the weirdest stuff like a car, clothing or holidays.
>punishment
You have to pay everything back in case of not completing a bachelor within 10 years, and you always have to pay back the money you borowwed. In case of students starting 2016 or later that is all the money they ever received. Before that you got €290 per month for free.

College is only free here if you’re a poorfag
If your parents arent idiots and actually have decent jobs then you have to pay.

I guess that unless you go full hobo you will have to pay sooner or later. Any data if this system ends up as a massive black hole in public finances?

Do 30+ boomers stop working in order to do that if they didnt do a bacherlors yet? Or is it reserved only to 20 somethings zoomers? Lmao

>dark hole
You don't understand. It was a black hole, but nowadays it has become profitable for our government since they cut all free money and raised the interest rate

Good question. I think at some point there is an age restriction.

I still don't understand why anyone beside a really poor person would do this. But here debt is not as "normal" as in other countries apparently.

It has become a part of young people's lives here. They have memes about it such as "maximum loan is maximum life" and entire cities like Leiden and Groningen are fueled by this money at this point.
People genuinely don't give a shit

Does it lead to a healthy attitude toward money? Seems pretty dangerous to have lazy ass students manage money like it's nothing. But maybe it keeps the economy alive.

Not him but you have to start paying it back 2 years after your graduation and you are allowed to use 15 years to pay it back. I myself have a 8k debt so I can pay it back by paying 600 euros a year if I want to which is basically 50 euros a month. Also its nice to have more money during your study, else I would have needed to find a part time job.

Most people only go in debt if they want to buy a house, else its seen as irresponsible behaviour.

>would have needed to find a part time job
How's that a bad thing?
Thinking about this from the human growth pov.
Ok, then it's not really different from here, attitude wise.

It leads to people in their late 20s having mental breakdowns because their sociology degrees are worth jack shit and they have 40k worth of trips to Costa Rica as debt. These people always write opinion pieces about how debt should be abolished etc but Dutch people are rather hard when it comes to debt.

So it's a well-off people thing?

The amount of money you can borrow from a bank or loaner is determined by how much you can safely pay them back.

Based. Hope it stays like that.

It will. I really have no sympathy for those people, but they always claim that they needed the money to pay their university fee and books etc which obviously is a blatant lie.

Do you live in a village or something? Everyone here has a morgage.

College isn't free here, for most people. It's tax-funded but students pay a fee also.

Because I was late on payments due to cash problems I had debt with interest but it's been paid already. The interest rate/lateness fees were less than 7€ total, though.

What are those fake-looking things? Veneers?

implants
They pulled out all his teeth, spiced up his gums and screwed in entirely new set.

Attached: 1555733330138.jpg (1975x1125, 1.42M)

why? so he doesn't have to wash them?