Americans are forced to pay to be imprisoned

>Americans are forced to pay to be imprisoned
land of the free

Attached: american prison.png (850x721, 976K)

what happens if they cant pay

They get locked up in super prison.

Why is this allowed?

This is tantamount to a prisoner getting KFC because he had the money to buy it.

They go back to the cell that they didn't pay for or general population.

Prisons are privatized.

prisons arent free ok :D

I thought the all-american catchphrase of "freedom ain't free" implied that the opposite of freedom is.
Weird

>private prisons
How can a developed country even consider this.

the chad private prison vs the virgin public prison

So they can pay for weapons to bomb the rest of the world

Powerful rich people just buy politicians bro. It's the american way. Also dumb boomers get persuaded by fox news into voting for these people because

>muh private prisons is capitalism

The idea behind it makes a lot of sense. Instead of having all the red tape of building and managing prisons, the state just outsources it to private enterprises that can cut through all the red tape and thereby offer equivalent services for less money. That's the model behind privatisation in general and it works really well... in general.

The problem with for-profit private prisons is that it commodifies incarceration and by extent commodifies human beings. That's why you get shit like prisoners being charged for certain things, prisoners being crammed together because it saves space, the almost uniquely American (and for some reason "hilarious") phenomenon of prison rape not being adressed because it would cost too much to solve for no benefit as well as in-prison (de facto slave) labor.

Worst of all, it deprives a lot of prisoners of their rightful parole. Prisoners get government grants per X number of prisoners they have. Makes sense: if a prison has room for 1.000 prisoners but ony houses 600, it makes no sense for the government to pay them for more than the 600 prisoners they're actually housing (ie. the service they're actually providing, not the service they could potentially provide). What this means is that private prisons have a vested interest in being as full as possible. In order to stay full, prisoners who would otherwise be entitled to parole (early release due to good behavior and the belief that they're ready to be reintroduced to society "ahead of schedule) are denied it because offering them parole would end up losing the prison money.

It's not as if these problems are unknown in America, but they perpetuate for a variety of factors. In my opinion the most important two are:
1. Lobbyists
2. Most people don't give a fuck about prisoners (hence the aforementioned prison rape being considered "funny". Because someone who hospitalized his cheating wife totally deserves to become the crackwhore of MS-13, right?)

Attached: 1431664686225.png (587x571, 227K)

The philly shooter did nothing wrong

kys tyrone

they are kicked out of prison

Being in prison doesn't freeze your assets, so you can actually still grow your bank account, and if you have aides and advisers etc., even your business portfolio, so "paying" for jail is a possibility.
Of course this isn't true for your average inmate who didn't have much monetary growth to begin with, so I do agree that this is pretty stupid. [spoiler] Maybe they shouldn't have committed jailable crime then? [/spoiler]

>private prisons
whats next privet court?

Riki-oh predicted this

>Maybe they shouldn't have committed jailable crime then?
If you're not going to rehabilitate them, prison is a waste of time/resources in the first place and you might as well just execute them by that point (which is why I think the whole idea of life imprisonment is retarded).

Prison rape isn't a big thing, it being a guarantee is an urban legend that turned into a useful scare tactic to keep people in line.

>Because someone who hospitalized his cheating wife totally deserves to become the crackwhore of MS-13, right?)
let's phrase in another way:
>An am*rican deserves to become the crackwhore of MS-13, right?

Attached: 1548089505650.png (695x515, 25K)

The state shouldn't be subsidizing private companies in this way.

>the almost uniquely American
I hear muslims (the only prison gang) like to use it as a punishment here too.

don't go to jail, easy

Reminder that most American suburbanites (like ) don't care about prison policy because they assume that all prisoners are non-white and/or guilty. It's fucking hilarious.

I think the model of prisons we had back in the day where inmates had "work time" where they would usually make small consumer goods with woodworking or metalworking tools. If I'm remembering correctly, the proceeds even got back to the inmates (after the prison took it's dues of course).
This taught the inmates useful skills that could make them less undesirable for occupations once outside jail. That's the main reason for lack of true rehabilitation, no one wants to hire a former inmate.

Disagree.

First of all, rehabilitation is not a choice made by the state.
Second of all, human lives still have worth even in prison. Their lives are still beautiful and precious even if they are in prison for life. They still have friends and families and still are made in the image of God. Its really cruel to say "they may as well be killed"

finns don't think that far ahead

Ayy

Attached: Screenshot_20190815-233303_Opera.jpg (720x518, 137K)

> non-white and/or guilty
He definitely assumed guilty, but he didn't assume "non-white". You are projecting

>Second of all, human lives still have worth even in prison
If you believe that, then what happened to the "if they want to afford commodities they need, maybe they shouldn't have committed crimes" reasoning?

>They still have friends and families and still are made in the image of God
I can't think of a single religion that didn't at some point prescribe the death penalty for the gravest offenses, making that line of reasining moot

looks like a /news/ story to me

finns just search the internet all day so they can start threads about america

They get sent to a central american prison.

this, it really isnt a difficult concept

Might as well give them the chair at that point, Jesus.

I'm not sure about the suing part but most places you can pay for better food which they use as currency.

>finns just search the internet all day so they can start threads about america

is it just one really annoying finn or do they all do it?

That's not limited to Finns

>If you believe that, then what happened to the "if they want to afford commodities they need, maybe they shouldn't have committed crimes" reasoning?
I'm a different poster, I just saw your post and thought it was really cruel and evil thing to say.

>commodities they need
Prisons supply you with commodities you need. I do think we could stand to be a bit more generous than that.

>I can't think of a single religion that didn't at some point prescribe the death penalty for the gravest offenses, making that line of reasining moot
Yes, the gravest offenses back at the time when modern style imprisonment was not feasible. Now, modern style imprisonment is feasible, we can keep people for life if we want to. Why murder them?

for finns it is
just another reason for him to star another shit thread about us

Guys, have you seen those Finnish prisons?
What if all Finnish posters are criminals posting from lush prison cells?

they seem to be most obsessed with us
at least always remember to put sage in options for their threads

>private courts
Kind of a thing actually, arbitration services are basically just that. It's not a type of court where you can bring big matters to, but basically where you make a case over which roommate should own the couch when one party payed only $20 for it.

Its summer so most likely one finn. I dont even know where he finds this shit because it isn't national news or

I'm not going to see any prisons

You can make prisoners slaves in America? Neat.

The reason America has private prisons is because in the 90s they literally put hundreds of thousands of people in prison for decades because of drugs that they had to start looking for a more cheaper way to run prisons. Private prisons offsets a lot of costs. BTW There was a republican senator or something going on about how China is authoritarian and arrests millions. Funny because China has a much much lower incarceration population than America despite of having 3.3x the population. Really makes you think who is authoritarian...

>dont even know where he finds this shit

they literally search the internet all day for this shit

it's fucking sad and pathetic, idiots need to get a life

Only 8.4% of prisons are private, private prisons have nothing to do with the ugliness of American prisons

Prisoners were forced to fight wild fires in California and if they refused they were sent to solitary confinement indefinitely. Although the federal government has restrictions like they cant use slave labor to compete in the market, they can use slave labor to do jobs no one wants to do. Imagine fighting fires for 1 dollar a day.

They stop giving them burgers.
Trust me, it works.

1000 years in the iso cubes.

Its community service in lieu of actually punishment it's usually people not locked up and they pick up garbage. When you see actual prisoners working they male a slight wage, get reduced time and are at the end of their sentence.

>it's fucking sad and pathetic, idiots need to get a life

might not be possible in finland

America is an open air prison masquerading as a country. You guys are barely better than China.

>I just saw your post and thought it was really cruel and evil thing to say.
Personally I think locking someone up without the intention to rehabilitate him is far crueler. Prisons should serve the purpose of rehabilitation first and foremost, with executions being reserved for those who simply cannot be rehabilitated. Maybe introduce Singapore-style canings for offenses that are too heavy for a fine but too light for a prison sentence.

>Yes, the gravest offenses back at the time when modern style imprisonment was not feasible.
True dat. It's also why thieves got their hands cut off. It was the best system, given the limitations of the era.

>Now, modern style imprisonment is feasible, we can keep people for life if we want to. Why murder them?
Because it's far crueler to lock them up with literally nothing to look forward to. At that point they're effectively dead men walking who aren't even allowed to commit suicide to end their misery.

Do you know what "or" means?

>they cant use slave labor to compete in the market,
Thank God ! The (((market))) is protected.
Now I understand why slavery was abolished.

Imagine hating the free market so much you actually support slavery to oppose it.

I don't, cretin, slavery was never profitable, but banning it just because it could harm the market is even more inhumane than slavery itself.

>banning it just because it could harm the market is even more inhumane than slavery itself
ok retard

ok retard

>Personally I think locking someone up without the intention to rehabilitate him is far crueler.
Its not up to the state whether to rehabilitate or not. Nobody can rehabilitate you but yourself.

>Because it's far crueler to lock them up with literally nothing to look forward to.
They can look forward to seeing their kids, grandkids, falling in love, learning new things, making new friends, growing spiritually, reading new stories, creating art and poetry and everything else. What are you talking about?

Most people do not want to die. You are projecting.

>Its not up to the state whether to rehabilitate or not. Nobody can rehabilitate you but yourself.
what is the point of prison then, you neantherdal?
>They can look forward to seeing their kids, grandkids, falling in love, learning new things, making new friends, growing spiritually, reading new stories, creating art and poetry and everything else. What are you talking about?
yeah, you surely can do it all while being locked in a small cell for the rest of your life

>lock up quotas
Pretty sure that's the point where literal horns start to grow in your skull

Attached: private-prisons.png (900x2724, 267K)

>what is the point of prison then, you neantherdal?
To keep society safe, also to punish.

>yeah, you surely can do it all while being locked in a small cell for the rest of your life
You absolutely can. You know prisoners don't have to stay in the cell all the time right? They can visit they can go to the library, work out, make buds, go to classes, write to their penpals and family, go to church, watch tv, etc. Prison can be super boring but its not nothing either.

>To keep society safe, also to punish.
then killing criminals is far better suited for those purposes than locking them up with no intention of rehabilitation. if you have no interest in rehabilitating them, you can assume that most will leave prison as individuals far more dangerous to society than they were when they entered. you create more danger to society in the long term, and destroy peoples souls as well, to say it in your terms.

>NOOOOOO criminals deserve human rights too!

Attached: 1562476914057.png (726x750, 129K)

Of course IDEALLY rehabilitation is also involved btw...but prison itself does not magically rehabilitate people. Rehabilitation comes from within. 3rd parties cannot rehabilitate people.

>You know prisoners don't have to stay in the cell all the time right?
I reality they stay in cell around 20 hours a day.

>Why are you so obsessed with us that you create a thread about it everyday
>W-what threads haha

Living in your heads rent free

Attached: america.jpg (400x376, 23K)

Americans will defend our garbage prison system.
Americans wont take steps to reduce repeat offenders.

>prison itself does not magically rehabilitate people.
yeah, thats exactly what we're saying.
>3rd parties cannot rehabilitate people.
thats like saying doctors cannot cure diseases. the whole idea of rehabiliation comes from the idea that pathological behaviour can be corrected with a treatment. how can it be corrected? exactly by third parties. putting pathological individuals in the same place without any attempt at rehabilitation just reinforces their pathologies.

>then killing criminals is far better suited for those purposes than locking them up with no intention of rehabilitation.
By this logic we should kill all people everywhere. If we kill everyone there will be no more rape or murder right? Certainly murder is better suited to this purpose than pesky laws right?

Disagree. You can keep people safe without murdering people. You can punish without murdering people.

>intention of rehabilitation
>if you have no interest in rehabilitating them,
See btw

Pic related is USA's recidivism rate. We do better than Canada. We are equal with Finland. Better than France or Germany. Better than Ireland or Netherlands. Better than Sweden (yes!). Better than UK. Why do you think USA's prison system is so much better at rehabilitation?

We aren't. People change because they want to not because there was anything magical in the system that made them change. That said, even the most hard-hearted person is still a human being, worthy of love, worthy of life. My thoughts.

Attached: journal.pone.0130390.t001.png (2250x1744, 587K)

I'm sure it depends on prison (maximum vs minimum security for example) but generally hell no lol.

>thats like saying doctors cannot cure diseases.
Nope, its not. Changes in behavior start from within.

>pathological behaviour can be corrected with a treatment. how can it be corrected? exactly by third parties.
Nah. Its changed first and foremost by the individual. Certain habits can certainly be changed with help from a third party. But not against the individual's will. That is a system set up for total failure, might be why Europe's recidivism rates look so dismal compared to American. You cannot force a pervert or a rageaholic or what have you to stop being that way. If you could, then just introduce it in preschool and magic all crime to 0%.

>putting pathological individuals in the same place without any attempt at rehabilitation just reinforces their pathologies.
True. If there are strong gangs in that prison, then those criminals who enter as men who just made a horrible mistake (like some guy who was caught dealing, or a man who in a fit of rage beat his cheating wife to death) leave the prison as career criminals. Mostly because they had to join a gang in order to protect themselves from the other gangs. Though admittedly Europe has a comparable problem with Muslims, where Rachid goes to prison for five years for robbing a gas station and then leaves prison in order to prepare a terrorist attack.

>I'm sure it depends on prison (maximum vs minimum security for example)
No it's basically the norm everywhere, except for some experimental prisons in Scandinavia. There's simply not enough guards (too expensive) to ensure the security, so it's safer to keep them in their cells.

>corrections corperation of america
lmao Americans live in a shitty teen fantasy dystopia novel

>No it's basically the norm everywhere,
Not in USA its not. Maybe in Europe or France I guess. I think you are thinking of max security only.

so if you dont pay they set you off ?

Attached: honkumator.jpg (768x1024, 118K)

LAND OF THE FREE (WHAT) WHO EVER TOLD YOU THAT IS YOUR ENEMY

>I think you are thinking of max security only.
No, it even the case in "detention houses", the prisons for those waiting for their trial.
If you don't work (as a slave), it's 1 hour maximum of promenade, and like 3 hours for eating/shower/bibliotheque or whatever. You're a fool if you think it's more than that.

I know for a fact its more than that but I have never been to France so

>more than that
How many more ? Do they roam in the yard all day long in US ?

I remember seeing people reviewing that movie years ago who thought that prisons becoming privatized was the most retarded idea ever. Who's laffin now

NOOOOO YOU HAVE TO TREAT PRISONERS WELL THAT CHILD MOLESTER IS A HUMAN BEING

Attached: images (3).png (231x218, 8K)

>oh noo feed the poor prisoners
I hope you die you autist trash subhuman

I like how normies think child molesters are the worst kind. If you torture a child to death you will be a random murderer, but if you touch a child the wrong way you will be el Diablo himself. Cute.