/lang/ - language learning general

These threads get archived too quickly edition
>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Gibberish
>What language should I learn?
Biblical Nahuatl
old thread old challenge

Attached: angry-face-husky.jpg (862x485, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mvcLuTTn9p8
xh.5156edu.com/page/18317.html
soudron.com/en/
youtube.com/watch?v=L6_4Y8Lov6k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Learning French, refreshing German. These threads are boring too.

pee pee poo poo

Started Finnish just for the fun of it a few days ago, dropped it today. Learning three langs at once is stupid. Nipspeak and Latin is enough for me.

Also fuck kanji. Currently trying to learn by translating Wagahai wa neko de aru.

Literally this.

Kanji are cool imo

Not saying they're not cool ( I wouldn't be learning this shit otherwise). I like the language, I like the Kanji, but holy shit it's taking a long time. I just wanted to consume media in original form.

If you do know japanese, is a more 'traditional' method like RTK faster/more useful than trying to learn from literature?

Full of logic too. Yeah.

Attached: 8B24EC9C-E2E7-4EE2-95B7-E3242BB8DDA9.jpg (300x576, 23K)

as I know it's the fastest way, I'm going to do it when I build up my vocabulary with anki, well you can always ask about that in djt there is plenty more experienced lerners
that's chinese

>that's chinese
Nevertheless,characters are the same here

well in simplified chinese and japanese is few different characters also I don't know how does reading work there, in japanese there is at least two ways to read kanji, how is it in chinese?

Greenlandic will become the first 100% American language. English is spoken elsewhere. Samoan, spoken in American Samoa, is spoken in other Samoan islands. Greenlandic is not spoken anywhere else besides Greenland.
America, it’s time to learn your new exclusive lingua franca.

Pretty sure mandarin only has one reading per character. The only reason kun'yomi on'yomi dichtonomy exist is because kanji are imported foreign characters.

Yep. Like Han > Kan. Also nanori(name readings)

>Pretty sure mandarin only has one reading per character
it doesn't, there are a few characters that have multiple readings. not nearly as many as japanese though.

where to get audio resources in between pimsleur and native level content
need something to listen to while driving. done pimsleur 5 learning chinese. tried some native level stuff but the language is just too incredibly dense and fast, I can't understand anything. I hear words I recognize but I'm getting maybe 5% of what's being said. looking words up I don't recognize from audio only is also nearly impossible due to the language

Attached: 1565963097192.jpg (1440x891, 123K)

the only issue is occasionally you have to know things like 两 for 二 but it's nothing like english. you also have a nice system where monday is
星期一 (week day 1)
星期五 (week day 5)
with only sunday
星期天 (week day sun/sky/nice)

similarly months are
一月 (month 1)
十二月(month 12, december)

overall though the language is a nightmare and incredibly difficult to learn. the characters are actually a pretty small part of learning chinese in my opinion, things like the grammar, tones, and really everything about the language other than the characters are actually where all the difficulty lies. I found this guy described it the most accurately of anybody
youtube.com/watch?v=mvcLuTTn9p8

people who say spoken chinese or chinese grammer is easy I don't believe really know much about the language, or maybe they're just geniuses compared to me

xh.5156edu.com/page/18317.html
here's some too

Then why the fuck are you even bothering with it?

RARE

>星期一 (week day 1)
>星期五 (week day 5)
Soulless

Not like us, who honor Viking spirit with Thor's Day and Frey's Day

>mfw germans replace Woden's day with "midweek"

Attached: cringe.jpg (598x415, 60K)

Bump

>Spanish is the only language useful to learn in los burgers de America
>want to learn literally every other language instead
why bros? I can't figure out if it's just the fact that it's more common that makes it less interesting to me than languages I have less exposure to, or if the language itself is just unappealing to me. I want to learn a language and the prevalence of Spanish here seems like as good an excuse as any but I just can't get enthusiastic about learning it at all

Learn Español

>Soudron? I remember forgetting that!

Attached: b4b98a83da0cd1ebc13248bcb951a6a3.jpg (236x284, 7K)

>Non est enim mortuum filum, sed dormit.
(Matthew 9:24)

kek maximum

I'm not talking about this.
soudron.com/en/

Maybe study latin and find interest in that family as a group, giving yourself semi-literacy in them all and then focus on the one you like the most.
Alternatively, study a language that has rising influence, like Portuguese.

"The lassock isnae deid, she's sowfiȝ." They onlie lauch at him."
(Matthew 9:24)

>lassock
Very cute

pedo

More like logo (logophile)

Here is another CUTE and FUNNY word.
cudd(nn)ie-ass

Does your language have "false friends" aka false cognates? Words that look like they're related to a word in another language but aren't really?
French has a bunch of them.

Yes.
Scots has the word "Liquid" which comes from the same Latin as English. But in Scots it is a "sum of money dued to be paid". There are many words like this.

Tons. Eventualno means possibly for example, not eventually.

In italian "eventualmente" means occasionally

>from the same Latin as English
Then it literally is a cognate, nibba.

Maybe but I doubt it.

>Eventualno means possibly for example, not eventually.
Same with eventuellt in Swedish. Based.

The American lad misdefined false friends. They can be cognates or come from the same root and still be false friends if they mean different things. It's different from false cognates: those are words that look similar or have similar meanings but different etymologies. Like English lake and French lac, which have different etymologies. French lac and English lay are cognates.

Thank you.

Not technically a false friend but in Italian, 'morbido' means soft. You'd think it would have something to do with death but nope. Extremely peculiar

We still have Woensdag

Attached: big brain.jpg (1180x842, 89K)

Does your language have many words for the same numbers?
Yes, in Scots we have 4 words for the number 1.

I'd assume it has something to do with sickness (cf. Lat. morbus, morbidus).

Every Slavic language has a ton of false friends with other Slavic languages

Yeah.
The Croatian word for themselves is "hrvatski" while the Slovenian word for Croatian is "Lastnik"

They are indeed cognates
It first came to mean soft in relation to how weak the flesh of a severely ill person feels, and eventually lost its association with illness and negative undertone
From the same root we also have the word "morboso", which means indeed morbid

>page 9

I know in russian they have oдин meaning the number one but when they count down/up they say paз. So if you're counting down before a race i.e. 3.2.1 they would say the former.

Pretty weird in my opinon

I know german is famous for having 4 different versions of the same word

tfw speaking broken russian to gf and she actually understands you. Pleasant surprise desu, goes to show I don't need to know the shit ton of rules for people to understand me

I am going to learn Old English and read Beowulf!

It should take a matter of months, right?

Check out the preview for George Jack's student edition of Beowulf on Amazon and see what it looks like.
t. Old English speaker

It looks more complicated than modern English

>page 8

>page 9

You can read Beowulf now

Are medieval French and Spanish as interesting as their modern variations?

Monolingual Native English speaker here, learning Spanish right now, early in though
After I get fluent in Spanish I’d like to learn Portuguese because knowing all 3 of the mentioned languages makes you able to communicate with over 90% of the people in the Americas
But will learning Portuguese after learning Spanish cause me to confuse the 2 sense they are so close? Should I wait a few years and let Spanish cement first?

I had this problem too, didn’t want to learn Spanish on the principle that I believe people in America should speak English, and because it’s the most common foreign language here
Really wanted to learn Irish because “Muh Heritage” and wanted to keep alive the memory of an endangered language but I eventually conceded to the logic of focusing on Spanish, once I’ve got Spanish and possibly Portuguese down I’ll look to Irish if there is still room in my head

How are you good enough to translate that book but having trouble with kanji? Are you looking up words every sentence or something?

This would be an interesting thing to find out. I like older versions of languages.

Bump

I guess I'm in a slightly different boat, as I learned Spanish from an early age, but I had similar worries about starting to learn Portuguese. If anything, it's only helped, though. At first I would mix things up with some frequency - words, pronunciations, spelling, conjugations, etc - but at this point I feel like I slip into a Portuguese mode rather than a Spanish mode and it's easy to keep the two separate. So really, no, I don't see it as a disadvantage at all. Only an advantage.

bump

This picture makes me sad.

Attached: 400491FD-9C47-4DC8-BB3A-5A76F86C5956.jpg (960x954, 103K)

I think it's funny desu

gendered languages need to check their privilege

It just means less retards will speak those languages.

I can't speak for older spanish, but Old French is definitely as beautiful and interesting as modern french. So is old occitan desu.

Old English is basically German with Anglo-Saxon words.

How is that people equal linguistic genders to social genders funny?

Based

Because it is dumb

bump

Long live the thread

Krautbros, what the fuck is he saying at :34 and again at :48-54?
youtube.com/watch?v=L6_4Y8Lov6k

Spanish.............Mandarin................Russian............hmm..........

>>What language(s) are you learning?
French by my own and Russian through university.
>I'm reading pic related.
On the left page the verse of the novel is written in Russian (cyrillic) and in the right page is beautiful translated into Spanish.

I enjoy Russian language it's complicated but pretty cool.

Attached: IMG_20190817_013827.jpg (2736x3648, 2.27M)

>I enjoy Russian language it's complicated but pretty cool.
I learned it for a few months, the grammar (at least declension) wasn't that bad, verb conjugation is kind of a bitch, memorizing stress and aspects along with cyrillic slowing the fuck down out of reading and writing is why I dropped it

Learning French at Uni. I'm probably, almost, A2, I think, maybe. I need to practice my conversation skills. Reading is easy. French in general has been pretty easy, desu. I love it.

Also learning German by myself, mostly Duolingo, baby stuff. I find it so much more difficult than French, even being fluent in English doesn't make it much easier. Planning to study one semester aboard in Munich, TUM, so yeah... Will I be fucked if I only know baby German in Munich? Are people nice there? My classes would be in English btw.

>Will I be fucked if I only know baby German in Munich?
No
>Are people nice there?
The Germans are, there's a HUGE refugee problem (Jow Forums blows it way out of proportion but Munich's city center is particularly bad) and they have no sense of common courtesy or self awareness

Also French on paper is easier but there's so much arbitrary bullshit to learn that I'd say German is more learner friendly even if it takes longer for proficiency as German is EXTREMELY consistent with pronunciation and generally grammar

>so much arbitrary bullshit to learn
to remember*

Yeah, I agree with French having arbitrary bullshit, but the grammar is just so similar to Spanish. It's beautiful, really.

German on the other hand... I still can't wrap my head around its grammar. Duolingo doesn't help much either. Maybe I just need to go to Goethe-Institute and get it over with.

What does /lang/ think? Is it better to learn one language and be completely fluent in it, or learn two and be conversational in both?

being conversational in both

You need to take the grammar a piece at a time, you'll overwhelm yourself and not learn shit trying to understand everything, though Duo is really bad for learning grammar. I can help with any specific questions but bear in mind I'm sleep deprived and might be consuming illicit substances

Fluent in one no contest

Kek, thanks user. Do you recommend any books for learning the grammar? I read the wiki but there are many books and I don't know which one is the best.

Deutsch Heute is pretty okay for beginners

Thanks, will definitely check it out.

Really above all else just practice grammar HARD by doing a ton of exercises. There's also an accompanying workbook but I never was able to find it for free

>what language are you learning?
English (mostly spoken lately).
>share exp:
English movies and shows with eng. subs do the job more or less. I try to pick the stuff that's hard to unerstand w/o subs (Kevin Hart for example, or anything with heavy Texan accent). I'm getting better, but still, it goes so slow... pisses me off. Oh, and I try to learn idioms. Issue is that there are fucktons of them.

Before you say something about pronunciation that's French's fault

Nah, I'm ok. It's good to know some English, loads of new content etc.

Oh I didn't mean don't learn it or anything. One thing I envy about ESLs is how easy it is to be immersed by their target (well, English) language

How did French affect this word?

Attached: FE18DB45-8F74-4941-9EA4-BC2915DD4284.jpg (422x136, 11K)

what