/lang/ - language learning general

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Classical Scots
>What language should I learn?
Yiddish

Old thread:

Attached: langues de benelux.png (699x2737, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lyricstranslate.com/en/wodospady-waterfalls.html
vetta-vetka.itch.io/order-road
youtube.com/watch?v=atml_3sbGHI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accademia_della_Crusca
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Post challenge

Glidis valikanes.

Vilob deadön.

Please crosspost old challenges on the OPs too, in case anyone missed them.

Old challenges: Anons needing corrections:
(Latin)
(German)
(German, Ossetian, Kabardian Circassian, Adyghe Circassian)

Previous:

Language challenge

Easy
>It's time for school!
>Don't forget your backpack!
>Can I borrow a pencil?
>Did you do your homework?

Medium
>Math is my favorite subject at school, how about you?
>My mom gave me money for lunch today at school, but a bully stole it from me.
>The teacher gave me a bad grade for my essay in history class.
>Please don't write on the whiteboard in permanent marker.

Hard
>John isn't doing very well at school, and his parents are afraid that he will be held back next year if this continues.
>They asked me if I could tutor him after school and we negotiated a fair price.
>John and I created a bunch of flashcards together and mainly practiced science and [language], the two subjects he has been failing in.
>Boy, this challenge sounds a lot like the one that came before but with a different topic, doesn't it?

yeah I'm sure someone's going to correct both dialects of Circassian

Requesting help from native Polish speakers:

I've finished up a Polish-English translation of a song for the first time, and I'm not very confident that it's a good translation. Could you check it out for a second and tell me if you like it? If there are any mistakes or misunderstandings?

lyricstranslate.com/en/wodospady-waterfalls.html

Anons who are learning russian, found this free visual novel you can practice your reading
vetta-vetka.itch.io/order-road

I would, but I only speak the Abkhaz dialect, sorry

did you buy a Polish vpn just for /lang/?

No, I am in Poland. I return on 23rd.

It's an user who delivered

what did he deliver?

He's referring to the case in which I said I would go to Poland, and then I "delivered" by doing so.

ah, I see. Even going to Poland is an achievement, it's not easy

>It's time for school!
Atėjo laikas mokyklai!

Nepamiršk savo kuprinės!

>Can I borrow a pencil?
Ar galiu pasiskolinti pieštuką?

>Did you do your homework?
Ar paruošei namų darbus?

Attached: Coat_of_arms_of_Lithuania.svg.png (1200x1364, 307K)

part of episode 12 of Berlin, Berlin

youtube.com/watch?v=atml_3sbGHI

nooo I can't access my dictionaries

Greta why you do this

Attached: Untitled.png (648x796, 31K)

>tfw you missed Talk Like a Pirate Day again

>-Leute, ich bin schwanger!
Ye
>-Äh, Glückwunsch an dir! Ist es ein Junge oder ein Mädchen?
*Wow, [herzlichen] Glückwunsch!
Rest is correct. "Wow" is an Anglicism btw, pronounced the same as in English. "Äh" is more like "uhm", so you made it sound pretty rude :^)
>-Was sollte ich mein Sohn benennen?
*Wie soll ich meinen Sohn nennen?"
>-Babys brauchen Windeln, Babyshampoo, und Babyessen
Correct except baby food is "Babynahrung".

>sidan 9
kan ni sluta????

Attached: translate.png (509x511, 83K)

That map ignores city dialects.

Then you might as well just put every city on the map.

There's slight dialect variations in almost every city. I know someone who can tell differences in the dialect of two neighboring cities.

>I know someone who can tell differences in the dialect of two neighboring cities.
Can't most? I mean, the differences here are slight as all fuck, but still distinct. Like you can tell that person comes from that city 20 minutes by car from here, etc.

I wouldn't say most people are able to do that, but it's certainly a skill you can learn if you pay attention. The dude I know is history teacher so he probably knows a thing about etymology or two.
Also those cities are probably closer than 20 minutes, more like 10 or 5 even.

How would etymology help you distinguish very similar dialects?

Knowing which words tend to change a lot between different dialects, for example. Just a guess

>I wouldn't say most people are able to do that
Eh, depends on where you're from. Surely you can distinguish where someone is from in the immediate area around you. Just a simple clue like pronunciation local to only that certain place, for example.

Maybe I'm just retarded. I'm from the Ruhr area in Germany and I can't tell apart whether someone is from Essen or from Dortmund

Attached: n4e94be249dc8b.jpg (400x393, 20K)

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

>Es ist zeit für Schule!
>Vergessen nicht deinen Rucksack!
>Kann ich deinen Bleistift leihen?
>Has du deine Hausaufgabe gemacht?

>Mathematik ist meine Lieblingssubjekt in Schule, was ist dein?
>Meine Mutter gibt mir Geld für Mittagessen am schule, aber ein Bully hat es gestohlen.
>Bitte schreibt nicht auf das Whiteboard im permanent Marker.

I was out with friends once and we were chatting with some random guy and just from a couple of sentences I spoke, he guessed what village I was from which was quite astonishing.

good

hoge kwaliteit op

very dumb argument. i dont think this tiny bit of better mutual understanding is definitely not worth sacrificing bits of your culture for. do you unironically think its better to lose that in favour of useless mutual understanding? city dwellers already have very understandable dialects whereas rural people dont, who cares?
id rather not understand bavarians if that means they get to keep their language.
plus, thats not even whats happening, germans grow up being exposed to various dialects, usually they can understand them quite well, but certain things just go over their heads, shit happens. if it gets really bad, people usually switch to standard german, but why should anyone use that as their default way of expression?
generally speaking, being exposed to a lot of dialects rather than just speaking one standard language altogether makes you a lot more understanding in general, it works well in norway for example and they have a terrifying amount of dialects. nobody needs standard languages.

When i was 11 playing Morrowind (which had no italian adaptation) helped me a lot with english
The game had quite a bit of text though, i don't think you'd learn much by playing something like Minecraft

Attached: download.jpg (1024x768, 142K)

>我喜歡家書店
家? What was you trying to say when you put that character in?
>我今天花了一個鐘頭打工作
"鐘頭" is a Cantonese expression. Use 小時 instead if you want to write Standard Written Chinese. "打工作" is an odd expression. It's either 打工 which is a Cantonese/Taiwanese Mandarin expression, or you can simply use "工作" as a verb here.
>我有時候夜裡享受散步
我有時候在夜裡享受散步
>Hard
I believe even you should have realized there are some mistakes in them? Also, please use full-shaped punctuation like ,。 when typing a full Chinese sentence.
>111355126
>我买了两本老的书。
我买了两本旧书。
>我工作了一个小时。
Missed "today".
我买了两本书
"Old" books.

theres a girl im talking to and she posted this on twitter
lmaoooo no mms ni me gusta
i cant find out what it could be :/

>Fácil
• Es hora de la escuela.
• ¡No olvides la mochila!
• ¿Me prestas un lápiz? o ¿Puedo tomar un lápiz?
• ¿Hiciste la tarea?

>Intermediario
• La matemática es mi asignatura más favorita en la escuela, ¿y tuya?
• Hoy mi madre me dio dinero para el almuerzo, pero un matón lo quitó.
• Mi profesor mi puso mala nota por mi ensayo en historia.
• Por favor, no escriban en la pizarra con rotulador permanente.

>Difícil
• A John no le va bien en colegio, y sus padres se preocupan de que lo dejaren el próximo año si esto sigue así.
• Me preguntaron si le pudiera dar clases después del esquela, y acordamos un buen precio.
• John y yo juntos hicimos un conjunto de tarjetas y sobre todo practicamos la ciencia y escocés clásico, las dos asignaturas en que tenía problemas.
• Vaya, este reto se parece mucho al que fue antes, pero con tema diferente, ¿verdad?

Probs “lmao no way, I don’t even like it”

>Es ist zeit für Schule!
*Es ist Zeit für die Schule!
The sentence sounds strange in German when literally translated. I'd rather say something like "Es ist Zeit, um zur Schule zu gehen!" (It's time to got to school)
>Vergessen nicht deinen Rucksack!
*Vergiss deinen Rucksack nicht!
Imperative form because it's a command.
Ja. Und der Satz ist auch richtig :^)
>Has du deine Hausaufgabe gemacht?
*Hast du deine Hausaufgaben gemacht?
Almost.

>Mathematik ist meine Lieblingssubjekt in Schule, was ist dein?
*Mathe(matik) ist mein Lieblingsfach in der Schule. Und was/welches ist deins?
I don't think you can use a direct question as a subordinate clause in German. Can you even in English?
"Was" instead of "welches" is less formal but more natural sounding, especially if a child would say it.
You could also use "Lieblingsschulfach" instead of "Lieblingsfach in der Schule", or even leave out the "schul" in the former.
>Meine Mutter gibt mir Geld für Mittagessen am schule, aber ein Bully hat es gestohlen.
*Meine Mutter gab mir Geld fürs Mittagessen in der Schule, aber ein Mobber hat es mir geklaut.
I used "fürs" because "für das" sounds really weird to me there. Maybe cause I can't imagine a kid saying it. Also why I changed "gestohlen" to "geklaut", which is just a more customary word for stolen.
Bullying is "Mobbing" in German, a weird made up anglicism. It used to be "hänseln" but I wouldn't know how to call someone who hänsels.

>Can you even in English?
Well the comma is actually an omitted conjunction, choices including 'and', 'so' and 'but'.

Facile
>C'est l'heure d'aller à l'école
>N'oublie pas ton sac-à-dos
>Puis-je emprunter ton crayon?
>As-tu fait tes devoirs?

Moyen
>Les maths sont ma matière préféré, quelle est la tienne?
>Ma mère m'a donné de l'argent pour le dejenuer à l'école aujourd'hui, mais un brute me l'a volé
>L'enseignant m'a donné une mauvaise note pour mon essai d'histoire
>S'il vous plaît, n'écrivez pas sur le tableau avec le marqueur indélébile

Difficile
>John ne fait pas bien à l'école, et ses parents ont peur qu'il va échouer l'année prochaine s'il continue comme ça
>Ils m'ont démandé si je pouvais lui donner des cours après l'école et on a négocié un price adéquat
>Moi et John avons créé un paquet de cartes-mémoire ensemble et on a pratiqué surtout sciences et français, les deux matières avec lesquelles il avait du mal
>Putain, cet exercise rassemble beaucoup au précedent mais avec un sujet différent, n'est-ce pas?

very good post
I will add it to my lang pasta's

>page neuf

is it though? it's pretty much the standard "it's better to have a bunch of random languages for culture preservation instead of having everybody understand each other all the time"

despite this argument being made over and over for literally hundreds of years the clear trend is to homogenization of languages

culture is getting homogenized too. people are wearing traditional american dressings such as tshirts and jeans everywhere in the world. that's life

This one was a bitch

>It's time for school!
Nunc ad ludum eundum est!
Noli sacculum oblivisci!
>Can I borrow a pencil?
Possumne graphidem tuam mutuari?
>>Did you do your homework?
Fecistine pensum?

>Math is my favorite subject at school, how about you?
Mathematica est gratissima materia mihi, quae autem est tibi?
>My mom gave me money for lunch today at school, but a bully stole it from me.
Mater pecuniam ad meredam emendam mihi dedit, puer procax autem eam furatus est.
>The teacher gave me a bad grade for my essay in history class.
Magister inferiorem gradum mihi dedit ob opusculum quod de historia scripsi.
>Please don't write on the whiteboard in permanent marker.
Nolite in tabula scholare penicillo indelebile scribere.

>John isn't doing very well at school, and his parents are afraid that he will be held back next year if this continues.
Johannes male se habet in schola, et parentes timent ne repetat gradum annualem si hoc manet.
>They asked me if I could tutor him after school and we negotiated a fair price.
Me rogaverunt ut eum docerem, et pretium iustum constituimus.
>John and I created a bunch of flashcards together and mainly practiced science and [language], the two subjects he has been failing in.
Johannes et ego multas chartas fecimus, etiam praecipue Scientiam naturalem Rhetoricamque studuimus, materiis in quibus ille male se habet.
>Boy, this challenge sounds a lot like the one that came before but with a different topic, doesn't it?
Heus puer, haec provocatio similis videtur antecedenti, quamquam re differunt, certe?

Oops I have to correct myself

The original sentence was "Can I borrow a pencil" not "your pencil". So it should be
*Kann ich (mir) einen Bleistift leihen?
The "mir" is optional I think, also on your sentence.

>• La matemática es mi asignatura más favorita en la escuela, ¿y tuya?
"Más favorita" sounds redundant, just say favorita. *¿y la tuya?
>• Hoy mi madre me dio dinero para el almuerzo, pero un matón lo quitó.
It sounds better to say "me lo quitó".
>• Mi profesor mi puso mala nota por mi ensayo en historia.
*me puso
>• A John no le va bien en colegio, y sus padres se preocupan de que lo dejaren el próximo año si esto sigue así.
*lo dejen
It sounds more natural to say: "y sus padres temen que repita el año".
>• Me preguntaron si le pudiera dar clases después del esquela, y acordamos un buen precio.
*podía
*de la escuela
"Un buen precio" sounds like they're paying you a lot. A fair price would be "un precio justo".
>• Vaya, este reto se parece mucho al que fue antes, pero con tema diferente, ¿verdad?
It sounds better to say "al anterior" instead of "al que fue antes".

It's mexican slang.
lmaoooo no mms ni me gusta
"Lmao no mames, ni me gusta"
Lmao dont be silly, i don't even like (it/him/her).

>despite this argument being made over and over for literally hundreds of years the clear trend is to homogenization of languages
What argument are you trying to make here?

sorry but how is it not obvious? I'd honestly like an answer because I genuinely can't see how it wouldn't be obvious to you what I'm saying

people have been resisting language change for hundreds of years with the same argument and it's always been ineffective and meaningless, progress is homogenization of language and the ability to speak to more people is more important than the very slight benefits of a grab bag of historical dialects and languages

of course north americans wouldnt know what culture and its meaning is
not going to argue about this with people like you as you dont understand the very fundamentals of it

I moved to canada from switzerland. but I can see from this kind of reply you're not interested in any kind of real discussion, so I should say thank you for making that clear and saving me any kind of trouble talking about it with you.

well in which case you might just be severely retarded and i dont see a person from switzerland making that argument at all.
there is a written standard and its enough to make communication accessible, everything else is cuck shit without sense or purpose. you might enjoy living in a stale, culture- and characterless country, but that doesnt mean that everyone likes that.
whats the next thing you propose, how about the entire world just drops their bullshit and speaks english, this way well understand eachother xDDD wouldnt that be epic
no, fuck off nigger

>sorry but how is it not obvious? I'd honestly like an answer because I genuinely can't see how it wouldn't be obvious to you what I'm saying
I just wanted clarification, because it seemed like you were also implying that popular trends are inherently good.
Are you Swiss French or Swiss German?

yes yes of course I'm sure an argument about my heritage and current country would be very typical for you but to me that is a very boring line of conversation and all I see is a low minded individual not capable of making any convincing point or interesting argument

lucerne, now vancouver

When doing the challenges I write out the sentences using whichever words I know and leave blank spaces for ones I don't know, then look them up and fill them in. Anyone else do this? Is it good practice?

my point is that culture is more important than being able to converse with people you wont ever meet, but why would you address anything if you could just get mad about the banter right xD
lets just speak english everywhere thats probably for the better :D
like why are you in this thread, learning a language is just useless crap, literally an artificial barrier that could be weeded out by homogenalising all conversation altogether, seems like a waste of time my guy

>this argument being made over and over for literally hundreds of years
indeed, but
>the clear trend is to homogenization of languages
has only been that way in the last century and a half, when the first great waves of nationalism swept the west and, by extension, many of its colonies.
before then, homogeneization was more or less kept in check by further differentiation.

I prefer looking for new words as I write, because different words often require different syntactic structures, so it isn't as simple as filling a blank space: you may have to change the whole sentence depending on the word.

>Language challenge

>Easy
È ora di andare a scuola
Non dimenticare il tuo zaino
Mi presti una matita?
Hai fatto i tuoi compiti?

>Medium
Matematica è la mia materia preferita alla scuola, qual è la tua?
Mia madre mi ha dato i soldi per il pranzo, ma un bullo me l’ho rubato
Il mio insegnante di storia mi ha dato un brutto voto sul mio saggio
Per favore, non scrivere sulla lavagna con un pennarello indelebile

>Hard
John non va molto bene a scuola, e i suoi genitori hanno paura che dovrà ripetere l’anno se continua così.
Mi hanno chiesto se potevo aiutarlo dopo la scuola e abbiamo negoziato un giusto prezzo.
John e io abbiamo creato un sacco di flashcard insieme e abbiamo principalmente praticato scienza e italiano, le due materie in cui va male.
Cavolo, questa sfida sembra molto simile al precedente ma con un argomento diverso, no?

>me l’ho rubato
damnit should this be me li ha rubati? i have a habit of thinking money is singular

>Matematica è la mia materia preferita alla scuola, qual è la tua?
"La matematica"
Just "a scuola"
>ma un bullo me l’ho rubato
Since "i soldi" is plural, "me li ha rubati"
>un brutto voto sul mio saggio
We would more commonly say "sul mio tema"
>e abbiamo principalmente praticato
Could pass, but in a school context it's better to say "abbiamo ripassato"
>molto simile al precedente
"sfida" is female, so "alla precedente"
Pretty good overall

That's true and I do often end up abandoning my initial structures for that reason when the words I find don't fit. I think I just like doing it that way because it makes it easier to focus on whatever gaps need to be filled in my vocabulary once I have my proposed sentences down. If my structure was right then it reinforces that as an acceptable structure and if it's not I'll see where I messed up and be encouraged not to make the same mistake again

Yep, if you want you can use "denaro" which is singular, but "soldi" is more common

Grazie friendo

The translation is good. I'd consider just a single change.
>z ust zazdrosnych -> from the lips/mouths of the envious (people)
Reading the original, I believe "zazdrosnych" is meant as a noun here. The phrase is ambiguous, so your translation is also correct. I just think it would be written as "zazdrosnych ust" if that was the intended meaning.

>Non dimenticare il tuo zaino
Generalmente l'uso degl'aggettivi possessivi è più raro che la controparte inglese (ed è peraltro uno degl'indizi che il testo in questione è tradotto).
In questo caso mi risulta meno macchinoso dire "Non dimenticarti lo zaino".
>Hai fatto i tuoi compiti?
Anche qui, generalmente non serve specificare "tuoi", dato che, a parte casi particolari, ci si aspetta che uno studente faccia almeno i suoi.

>Matematica è la mia materia preferita alla scuola, qual è la tua?
*La matematica
*a scuola ("scuola" è uno di quei luoghi che non richiede articolo)
Inoltre a me pare più naturale "la tua qual è" o simili. Fate vobis.
>Mia madre mi ha dato i soldi per il pranzo, ma un bullo me l’ho rubato
*me li ha rubati, soldi è plurale.
>Il mio insegnante di storia mi ha dato un brutto voto sul mio saggio
Mio qui è ridondante: se ti ha dato un voto, non lo dà certo sul saggio altrui.
Anche qui, è una questione di contesto: se si sta parlando con studenti di altre scuole, ad esempio, "il mio insegnante" ha senso; altrimenti sarebbe più comune dire semplicemente "L'insegnante".
Ad ogni modo, uno studente raramente utilizza il termine "insegnante," sebbene sia la traduzione corretta di "teacher." "Professore" è il nome comune. Stesso dicesi per "saggio": "tema" o "relazione."

>Mi hanno chiesto se potevo aiutarlo dopo la scuola e abbiamo negoziato un giusto prezzo.
O anche equo (che però va dopo "prezzo"), specialmente nella forma "equo compenso".
>John e io abbiamo creato un sacco di flashcard insieme e abbiamo principalmente praticato scienza e italiano, le due materie in cui va male.
*scienze, al plurale.
Nel parlato si tende a porre "principalmente" (e forse altri avverbi?) dopo il verbo, ma tant'è. Alla Crusca verrà un aneurisma se continuo.
Praticare di per sé potrebbe anche andare, ma così anche "fare pratica" od anche il più comune "ripassare".
>Cavolo, questa sfida sembra molto simile al precedente ma con un argomento diverso, no?
*alla

Nice one. Have you thought about studying from a Latin prose composition textbook? There’s a good, classic one, can’t remember the name.

>despite this argument being made over and over for literally hundreds of years the clear trend is to homogenization of languages
Uh no? The trend is literally the opposite of what you say it is; even now languages are evolving into new and separate ones, all the time, and this is practically an unstoppable process even with the internet

You're right. Fixed.

My main problem with it is that it uses the wrong adjectives. There's no such thing as 'Waaslands', only 'Waas', and it should be 'Kust-West-Vlaams' instead of 'Kust-Vlaams'. I also believe 'Kempisch' is more common than 'Kempens'. Also
>implying Limburgish is still spoken in Belgium, or Brabantic in the Netherlands
At this point they've become little more than an accent to common Flemish and Dutch respectively.
Otherwise, the map is actually pretty accurate, as far as the south of the Germanic area goes.

>nobody needs standard languages.
It's a starting point for people to learn a language if nothing else, but I agree wholeheartedly with every word you wrote. Too bad the people in charge don't share our views.

>how about the entire world just drops their bullshit and speaks english
Man, I really, really hate how so many people push that kind of "your 'language' is actually just a retarded dialect, you should look beyond your provincialism and speak the standard language because more people speak it" bullshit. Next time I encounter someone like that I'll ask them why they aren't speaking English.

This site seems like a great source of comprehensive input if you can find translations of songs you know in the lang you're learning

grazie mille, non aspettavo una risposta così approfondita. mi piace che tu l’abbia scritta in italiano
>Alla Crusca verrà un aneurisma se continuo
che cosa intendevi con “alla crusca”? is it something like “by god i’ll have an aneurism if i continue” ho cercato quella frase su google e non ho trovato niente

If you can't find a translation or even the song you're looking for there, you can just request it. An autist will have it done for free within days. For instance, I couldn't find the lyrics to that song on the internet and I requested for a transcription in Polish before I translated it. Love this site.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accademia_della_Crusca

wtf i love the crusca now

I may if you remember the name.

you were the user who posted about nedersassisk right? do you have a background in that by chance?
things like that are even more reason for me to care about preservation so much, because the ones who do want to keep their language alive are powerless, its sad to see

How's it going bros

>you were the user who posted about nedersassisk right? do you have a background in that by chance?
That was probably me, but I just know the basics by reading some stuff on the Saxon Wikipedia and listening to the podcasts by Wearldspråke on YouTube. I find them reasonably easy to understand, but that's certainly in part because the guy who does them lives in the Netherlands, so the accent and some of the vocabulary is closer to what I'm used to. Just last year they got their language recognised as a regional language in the Netherlands, though, so not all hope is lost. Of course the Dutch language union tried every trick in the book to stop the recognition from happening, but luckily they lost. Belgium's still royally screwed, though - literally none of the indigenous languages have any official status.

Bretty good.

ye the nazis already started with that shit here because one people are supposed to speak one language. the last few centuries had that very theme all across europe though, come to think of it, there was the welsh not in great britain, the symbole in france to suppress breton speakers etc, but even nowadays the goethe institute is very keen on prescriptivism, its sad. neither does the state do any big initiatives for indigenous languages, i think Sorbian gets like 2hrs screentime per week and there are tiny news sites for low saxon, but for example no single course in school to make people able to speak to their family or generally to become more culturally aware of ones own region. none of that.
its a shit situation.

>Bretty good.
based good for you lad

this is why nationalism is the same shit as globalism but on a smaller scale. lets take all german people and stick them together and make them all speak the same! great idea. now all the dialects and languages are dying out. germany actually seems to do pretty well in that regard, but other regions not so much

Nation states needed one language to be able to exist, but I wonder what the future will bring first: nation disintegration or the end of standard languages. I doubt we'll still be around to see it, though.

Doubtful
If anything, the concept of standard dialect will die out long before the disintegration of nations.

知命者不怨天, 知己者不怨人.

The one who knows fate resents-not heaven, The one who knows oneself resents-not others.

Did I put this well?

mong.
there is no classical scots. only scots. scots language never changes always stays the same.

How do you say that your cell phone is ringing in German?
> mein Handy ringt

do Germans still call cell phones Handy or have they moved to smarthandy?

mein handy klingelt
>ringt
ringen is a word but it means to wrestle
>smarthandy
under absolutely no circumstances at all

Danke schön.

Lo trovo affascinante che l'eccezioni di italiano e spagnolo hanno diventato estremamente simile in i loro eccezioni di coniugazionie. Per esempio, la fine dei verbi "roto" e "rotto" da "rompere" e "romper" o "era" e "era" da "essere" e "ser". Realmente, mi chiedo come questo ha venuto essere - come la mutazioni dei verbi diventavano tanti simile in sia lingue che sono piuttosto separate dalla terra

All those exceptions have a latin origin.
Era from latin erat, roto from latin ruptum.

True but they both evolved their endings in the same way - like the -um ending became -o and it didn't necessarily have to evolve that way. Like, one of the languages could have just said rutu instead of roto instead or something like that

I wonder where did these seemingly related articles come from, considering latin had no articles

Attached: 01-01-def-indef-articles-reference.png (130x114, 1K)

From ille illa illud (latin word for that).

That's because many exceptions were either Latin exceptions as well, or were regular but Vulgar Latin had already moved past them, leaving them crystallized as exceptions. Similar phonological developments did the rest.

They come from various forms of "that" in Latin:
il = lo = le = el = "illum" = that.MASC.ACC
la = "illa(m)" = that.FEM.ACC
gli = i = "illi" = those.MASC.NOM
le = "ille" = those.FEM.NOM
les = los = "illos" = those.MASC.ACC
les = las = "illas" = those.FEM.ACC

Yes, that makes sense