I barely got my bachelor in law. A friend suggested I specialize in tax law because the big firms hire everyone...

I barely got my bachelor in law. A friend suggested I specialize in tax law because the big firms hire everyone. I followed his advice and am close to graduating. Now that same friend looks like a zombie and warns me to never, ever start working at one of the big 4. Even so, I've already received offers from 3 of them. What's the deal? How bad are they?

Attached: the-big-four.jpg (660x378, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/h6do7
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>bachelor in law

Not a thing

It’s really bad as far as I’ve heard. If you do it make sure you use it as a stepping stone for something more comfy. It looks good on your resume.

fresh meat for the grinder
80-100 hr weeks. your social life is over user

$30,000 a year to work 70 hours every week.

No thanks.

Depends on your attitude. If you are someone that can be taken advantage of, you will be worked like a slave. If you can stand your own ground and delgate your work to others, you will not do much and be overcompensated.

Outside the US, to become a lawyer you need to get a bachelor in law (3y) + master's in law (2y) + follow an internship (3y). The internship is optional though and is only required if you want to become a full lawyer and take your cases to court. Most legal jobs dont require that.

got a friend who did the same. yep! he was working 60+ hrs/ wk for base salary. around 35k/yr. but its good to get your foot in the door. you want to be there for a year or two

>Europe system.

3y llb and then 1-2y llm

Holy fuck - the numbers being quoted in this thread for salary are pathetic. Anyone voluntarily getting involved with these companies at such a terrible salary is a fucking moron. I started out of college at 60k - 1 year later at a new job at 75k salary+signing&annual bonus. I could not imagine being so cucked as to accept a 35k salary and work 60 hours a week. Laughable.

I make 80k, home by 4. Then i work on my side gigs rest of night for extra $100-150.

This results in equivalent gross income of 130k or so.

At big 4, u will make 70-80k working 80 hours. Thats unironically $20 an hr wagie

You will work 12 hour days during tax season including weekends and one month of each other quarter. Also, you'll answer retarded mundane questions non-stop. Then after three years you become a manager then you either get partner five years later or quit and start your own practice

it is as bad a job in the industry as you can get
meaningless work, massive pressure and coworkers are zombies
stepping stone at most

Like everyone here says, it’s long hours for 50-100k, as you move through your first 5 years. When you leave though, you will get a massive raise to do a much easier job. The longer you suffer at big 4, the bigger raise you will get when you leave. If you like the lifestyle, you can hop from big 4 to big 4 and get big raises that way too.

Attached: 71FE4A75-46D2-4F0F-9264-6064E17F4F87.jpg (750x737, 73K)

Plus you will be doing the hardest, most interesting work you can, with the biggest companies. The experience is really really good for your career. I don’t buy into all that wagecuckin career faggotry, only made it two years. God speed to you sir!

Dont do it.

I worked for pwc for almost years after I graduated with a degree in finance & accountin, until I realized that they simply kill me.

The payment is VERY! bad (~40k for an average of 60h per week) and the people are brainless idiots. I hoped to change a few things, but the older people there actually seem to WANT processes to be inefficient and slow.
And dont get me started on company politics. On the front, it is all nice and good. Once you sit on your desk, start working and get to know them, you soon enough realize in what kind of a snake pit you are. I worked in construction and retail during uni - neither were half as stressing as a single week with pwc.

Now working as an analyst with comfy 40h per week, no unpaid overtime, no weeks in dirty hotels and 50% more money not including the bonus. I also learned at least double the amount of stuff in these 8 months in my current job than in the total time I spent with pwc.

Do not touch the big 4.
They suck out your soul and dont give anything back - neither experience nor money. Not even nice words.

*almost two years

Again: dont do it. These "big raises" is talking about are are not exclusive to the big 4. Companies like BASF / Bayer / Daimler pay equally, if not better and if it needs to be consulting, freelancing is an option, where the amount of stress is equal, but you at least get paid better.

Which country? If your country has good labor laws prevent abuse, you will probably at least be well compensated if worked super hard. If not, then see A lot of accountants work at big 4 a couple of years just to get some experience and to be able to say on your resume "yeah I worked there and I did my work properly and wasn't fired", then work at smaller more specialized firms for better money.

Im on my last year of accountingat a top uni, im thinking to not even go for the CPA exams and just apply for analyst positions at investment firms and pension funds. Is that the wrong aproach?

Hmm I also wanted to apply for PwC, only 2 years for experience

Try it yourself, if you like.

Maybe I was very, very unlucky, but if you look for a way to pad your resume by doing an insane amount of work, for nearly nothing while seriously endangering your mental and physical health, there are other ways.

Like smaller consulting companies. They seem to hire for a similar wage and you work similar hours, but you are at least forced to learn and network.

Not like with pwc - I even was activelly kept out of the networking part, because I did not comply with literally 100% of their shit.

L.L.B. Is a bachelor in laws. For law schools in Canada and th US it is called a J.D. and you need an undergrad to get in. It’s a thing

Pretty much all four of them are known as burnout makers, so yeah

How the fuck. My ex went to Columbia law and got 160k out of school

It is a cutthroat corporate meatgrinder that aims to completely suck your soul dry of anything that makes you feel human. People try to endure it for years in hope that they eventually move up into management but you basically have to suck their dicks and take it up the ass non stop to even be considered.

Pretty good gig if you are a masochist desu.

my roommate works at deloitte. he went there after finishing his engineering degree and mba. he leaves at 7:30 in the morning and comes home around 10:00 in the evening. commute takes less than an hour. shit's fucked, breh.

only idiots for for them

They abuse the fact that you have never worked for anybody before and they'll condition you to think 80 hour weeks are normal.

They'll make you teambuild and party so that you'd feel sorry for leaving, even if you get shit pay for shit hours at shit job.

I think law degrees/jobs are a scam somehow. Too much work for too less salary.

But hey, more and more young people are willing to do that so...

I think you pretty much summarize it.

This, I work for a smaller bank. make just under 50k and basically only work 4/5 REAL hours of work a day, (I work at home). I hate it but at least i'm not actually slaving away with little income i receive.

You know those wagecuck memes you see with wojak in the wagecage?

Big 4 is unironically the real life equivalent of it. Throw in a large dose of corporate bullshit speak "touching base" and "syncing up" and you basically have 60 hour weeks, plus weekends during busy season, of complete and utter submission to your boss.

Never listen to other people.

i worked for 4 or 5 years in Big 4 valuation
AMA

>PwC
streamable.com/h6do7

I make 180k as a "freelancer" denying healthcare claims for a major insurer working from home.

Only have a bachelor's degree. That I didn't even pay for.

Shits so cash.

Accountingfag here, I've been out of school 4 years and still haven't taken the CPA exam, they try to stress you out with that at school because the big firms want fresh blood to put through the grinder, you really don't need it out of school to get a job or make some money, just go to a temp firm or something, you'll find a job 20 an hour right out of school with no experience needed, accountants are always in demand bro.

just buy REQ instead

how do I get this?

how do i do this without a degree or any skillz?

starting work as a data analyst for kpmg soon. how fucked am i?

invest in lottery tickets

my cousin was excited when he got his job at deloitte, long story short 2 years later doesn't work there any more and would never go back, 0 time and energy for your personal life, it's a puppy mill for wagecuck drones, everyone I know treats it as a stepping stone and fucks off to work for some smaller firms/funds etc