/smg/ - Stock Market General

Everyone take a deep breath and plan ahead edition

>I'm new to the stock market, what stocks should I buy?
Before you buy anything, make a brokerage account and read investopedia articles and/or the books in the OP list. If you don't have a broker, you can't buy stocks, and if you blindly buy things without understanding how the stock market works or doing any research on the individual stocks you're buying, you will lose money and it will be entirely your fault.

List of popular brokers:
pastebin.com/mrSchZPg

List of basic stock market terminology for newfags:
pastebin.com/VtnpN5iJ

Real-time market news:
thefly.com/index.php

Educational sites:
investopedia.com/
khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain

Free in depth technical analysis charts:
tradingview.com

Premarket Data:
pastebin.com/y9PRQLR3

Earnings Report Calendars:
biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/today.html
earningswhispers.com/calendar

Biopharma Catalyst Calendar:
biopharmcatalyst.com/

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

S&P 500 VIX Futures (For SVXY/UVXY, higher is better for UVXY, lower is better for SVXY)
investing.com/indices/us-spx-vix-futures

Basic rundown on options:
youtube.com/watch?v=TBAQtjyqNHw
youtube.com/watch?v=SuTTzfa4ePE

Suggested books:
pastebin.com/jgA5zTuC

Previous thread:

Attached: 1482982564877.jpg (960x960, 148K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RTfKYDIhlVE
fred.stlouisfed.org/series/BAA10Y
youtube.com/watch?v=-LFo9cBxX34
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_East_India_Company
youtube.com/watch?v=5l4OEJ38aLY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

GOLDEN BULLRUN THURSDAY

Attached: 800 (2).jpg (1280x720, 103K)

based QLD and SSO on sale lets go

ESSKETIT

>"user, can you come into my office?"
>S-sure. Wh-what is it boss?
>"user. We've been noticing that your portfolio has been abnormally green lately. We're gonna have to fix that - wouldn't want you to achieve financial independence now, would we?"
>B-boss? I-I don't understand what you're talking abou-
>"Don't worry about it, user. We'll always take care of you here in your comfy office cubicle."
>Boss? BOSS? WHERE ARE YOU? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gwim!
Also sorry frens for not posting the chili’s dings today, my new role at work playing with fishies means I’m really busy

Attached: B4203445-156B-4EC1-9C48-4B05A5BB2E53.jpg (713x1080, 159K)

Attached: 1540788534959.png (250x202, 8K)

Bull market will be back Thursday 1000% confirmed. Screencap this and check em

Attached: green moon wojak.jpg (646x700, 150K)

BASED

Attached: 1507851442527.png (1410x1198, 2.46M)

Dollar cost averaging user from last thread. why would I do that if I can just buy back in at a lower price I don't understand why that's bad. yes I was in the negative when I sold recently but I know the market will go lower than what it is now in the next correction so what's the big deal

>I know the market will go lower than what it is now

no, you don't
timing the market is much harder than you think it is

Dollar cost average LCI.. thank me later.

youre being 100% irresponsible with your words

give me the rundown, Jow Forums, in preparation for going full bear, what stocks should I look into? Boomer commodity stocks with dividends? Or should I just man up and start short selling?

I just need enough of a bull pump to get me back in the green then I wanna offload most of my tech shit, and keep holding some long term. But, failing that I wanna have a new strat for this shit.

t. dumbass who didnt sell ATVI at 80.

Attached: Igor-et-Grichka-Bogdanoff-places-en-garde-a-vue-pour-escroquerie.jpg (622x311, 23K)

adamantium diamond encrusted support never going below this level

it's come to this

Get ready you cucks

Attached: 1542553461075.jpg (597x498, 34K)

You seriously think the next recession that we're not going to be lower than where we are now. I know it is not certain but it's almost 100%

Yes GE is in trouble but there is one thing a lot of people are forgetting; Spinoffs

GE Transportation is getting sold to Wabtech (or something like that; starts with a W anyway). GE shareholders will get a stake in this venture. W's shares are trading at $90 ish range now. GE is trading at 7-8ish. So your going to get GE, BHGE and eventually W all for the low low price of 7 or 8 dollars.

GE Healthcare is also planned for spinoff.

Say my name....

Attached: 1542913047774.gif (341x658, 588K)

Fuck

Attached: 1516569538628.jpg (500x750, 64K)

this isn't even from options
I hate everything

Attached: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (1052x378, 31K)

NOBODY SELL ANYTHING ON THURSDAY

Attached: 1508539647254.jpg (346x450, 22K)

If you know the market is going to go lower than what it is now, why don't you short total stock market index funds?

what you guys think about atvi

dont worry, this was just a bear trap. Easy 2-3 years of golden green minimum

so now you've already backtracked from 'i know' to 'its not certain'

do you see yet how nobody can time the market, just cost average into stuff and you will succeed

>incredibly comfy tax-free bond fund up 0.34% on plummeting treasury yields while stockcucks get hammered on their obviously overpriced bullshit

munis are for chumps they said

rising rate environment they said

Attached: 58e[1].jpg (1024x576, 43K)

>giving bears a full 100 point short three times in a month is just a bear trap guys durrrrrrr making bears rich is just part of our super duper bull strategy rrerrrrrubhnsiupjlthpppppplllllll

Attached: 1543185984925.png (461x673, 358K)

I miss RKG

Attached: 1543974132524.gif (128x128, 10K)

So I'm reading A Random Walk Down Wall Street and I just came across this line
>Fortunately for stockholders of G.E. and Johnson & Johnson, many other factors led to the continued success of these companies.
holy fugg, is JNJ the next boomer company to fail? This shit is gonna pull a FAT ge blunder i can guarantee it.

I like it. Sold off too much imo. There are a lot of red flags with the company but they have a lot of mobile games coming and those will yield some serious cash. Also, D4 seems to be on the right path judging by rumors. All this is a way off though. Long term hold.

That was a final redpill while reading the book
Any company you hold can someday implode and you lose almost everything
Five years ago GE was a peak retirement stock.
Terrifying

For JNJ to fail, people would have to stop brushing their teeth shaving and taking showers
Hospitals would be shutting down, people would have to stop getting hurt

>coughs

Attached: 0B28CEFD-9F16-40EB-BB01-8B0F0DB8ACAA.jpg (1152x2048, 380K)

what about GE who sells like fridges and stuff that everybody uses

how could they possibly fail too

A company can still fail even with stellar sales. All it takes is just a little mismanagement, or an outright scandal.

Attached: EC164303-EC7A-4EF2-939F-8AD5D23C2240.jpg (426x364, 78K)

>stop brushing teeth
>shaving
>taking showers
y-you mean like NEETs and Neckbeards?
>Hospitals would be shutting down
N-nursing is at an all time high demand... there ain't enough kids getting their degrees
>people would have to stop getting hurt
maybe in the future the democrats win an election and propose a totalitarian state where you're mandated to stay at home or get hit with "rape" charges.

she was too pure for this world.

not so scary when you just diversify. the stock market isn't supposed to be a goddamn lottery anyway.

i was young when enron imploded and that set my investment philosophy immediately.

Attached: MW-FK378_bogle__20170413095743_ZH[1].jpg (890x501, 147K)

I'm expecting Canada to put in a bunch of dojis on non-Aphria or Aphria-involved dude weed stocks. There was a severe overreaction to that short attack on these completely unrelated companies, especially on the US ones for some reason. Probably gap down opens, low volume pump, equal volume sell back down before close, doji finish. On Thursday the bulls will make the initial buying thrust to start the buy wave with US markets trading to add their volume.

I'm completely flabberbamboozled by how hard Curaleaf and Acreage Holdings were hit. I have a position in the first but not the second. Those are the two biggest multi-state weed concerns in the US right now.

Attached: MetallicaAbsoluteState.jpg (500x732, 82K)

cause appliances are 1 time purchase and Bandaids/tylonel and razer blades need to be replaced often
More points for JNJ

imagine putting all your money into 10 different stocks all your life waiting for a nice retirment but then when you are 5 years away from your dream half of those cut dividend and are trading back down by your purchase price and the other half cut dividend and you're only up a few %... scary to think about retirement really..

>cause appliances are 1 time purchase
You should get a rental property

I think this is why Buffett recommends S&P500 funds.

I held JD for a while and the CEO goes and becomes a perv, and I lost almost 40% of my money in the stock. Those random happenings come up often.

i have put money in a company that was doing well up until recently, but the dividend yield has been collapsing ever since 2013
these jews deserve getting justed

GE got out of the appliance game last year/year before. The company they sold that unit to gets to use the name/logo as part of the deal.

>appliances are 1 time purchase
Go to bed. The bus runs early.

Yes; diversification is key. putting all your money into one stock or/the market in general is just asking for trouble.

>he buys more than one washing machine, fridge, and dishwater per decade
ok GOTCHA

The table of wealth has 3 legs, stock is only one of them.

Try Dis. They just hiked the div. Even with the Fox deal looming they still felt confident enough to hike the div from 0.84 to 0.88. Yeah so it ain't much, but still the fact they did it speaks volumes.

what kind of shitty table has 3 legs instead of 4

whats the other 2?

>inb4 one of those shitty little cuck circle tables

they don't count

>The table of wealth has 3 legs
>what kind of shitty table has 3 legs
>The table of wealth
>what kind of shitty table
>table of wealth
>shitty table
>wealth
>shitty

Attached: 1536899771314.jpg (615x615, 72K)

>The table of wealth has 3 legs
A human
A monster
And a prince from the dark

Only rich kids start with a 4th leg.

Real Estate and goods of material value; Tools, firearms, jewelry, maybe cars and art if you are fancy.

>goods of material value
Dunno where you're from but we like to call that "Inventory" where I'm from.

It's sex slaves and firearms.

Why buy deep in the money option instead of slightly out of the money options?

Faberge Egg

Or comic books or baseball cards. Coins, lots of guys do coins.

Theta decay hurts less with ITM options
Your chance to see your option worth something at expiration is greater (bigger delta)

dope
so i was right again
reminder: treasury curve inversion will not be as much of a leading indicator this time

higher deltas give you more gains on smaller moves. OTM memes mean you have to get it to go past the strike before it starts to actually get anything substantial. i use ITM for scalps

yea youre also betting directly against the goy who sold the contracts too. and if that goy happens to be a hedgefund or some cunt with loads of dosh, then you can be damned sure hes gonna protect his neck (which generally means stomping on yours)

>GSK
Why? They will get even more JUSTed when brexit fails to pass.

HOL UP
did rkg actually ded?
proofs
i demand proofs

Attached: proofs.jpg (700x933, 448K)

>Diversification is bullshit
>Buy and hold is bullshit
>Dividends are bullshit
>Day trading is bullshit
>Algos are bullshit
It really is just luck.......

Attached: 1542430923183.jpg (433x412, 65K)

to be fair, this is by far the hardest market in almost a decade

Attached: 7f373975c3c4a20be33aa88a0a47821e028edef137d50f3953a040ff0a81da64.jpg (541x407, 34K)

Bullshit man.
It's like Kenny Rogers says: "You gotta know when to hold 'em. Know when to hold 'em. Know when to run. Know when to hide."
If everyone pulled out of the market, the market is dead.
If everyone dropped their purses into the market, no one has money to spend to keep the businesses up, so their incomes fall.
Movement is always good.
Don't follow trends, unless you are already in the trend before it becomes a trend.

You've convinced me over the past few threads. I'm gonna drop some money into LCI. Here's to hoping for the best.

Where is that barrick gold nigger? That shit is actually up like 25% since he started shilling

Attached: 1543941291539.png (612x197, 48K)

It looks good in the short term, but look at the yearly and 5 year charts

hey i know ''that'' fucking feel
every time i find a new proxy that works i get fucking cucked. fucking modniggers deserve lead

tho at the very least i dont have to fill out like 30 captchas anymore

GUYS!

puppies
youtube.com/watch?v=RTfKYDIhlVE

teh profit huh
Well theres one important thing thats been bothering me lately, The treasury/corporate credit spread has been trending up

Attached: raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa-ca443f4786.jpg (750x1000, 71K)

omg the ones wrestling

i know rite?
das dat shit i been talkin bout an shieet ma nigga

guess i wasnt retarded after all. i really wish i had more time to actively trade lately.

Attached: 412e82835bbe5e24d536466304f4bf855bb9d68b7d567c31079b4387a1baee12.jpg (227x339, 30K)

buy and hold diversification is NOT a meme

QQQ and SPY will literally always succeed, they may not be perfect but you will always retire with them if you buy enough and hold for enough

Why does the stock market even exist in the first place?

just average in and hold tight. I'm not letting go until i see short interest down around 20%

to be fair, you were right but its only become relevant the past few weeks
fred.stlouisfed.org/series/BAA10Y
that uptrend there is very bad. If we shoot up again to 3.00 it could cause a sell off on default risk scares

buuuuut Im still bullish because of several other things

our hero Ciovacci just did a video on it and uses it to gauge when a reversal to bear market would happen

Attached: 90.jpg (1400x960, 963K)

Thoughts on this?
youtube.com/watch?v=-LFo9cBxX34
is the only profitable option strategy is selling naked options?

*toot toot*
ALL ABOARD

Attached: 20181204_120603.jpg (4032x2268, 1.34M)

>not just reading the news for your trading strategies
Guy said market would go down, market goes down. Guy says market goes up, market goes up.
It's simple.

WHY THE FUCK ARE THE MARKETS CLOSED TOMORROW!?

Attached: 1532965320344.jpg (1152x646, 31K)

>selling naked options
/ROGUEWAVE'd/

Stock market was made to finance large companies. Companies too large to be financed by just a handful of investors.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_East_India_Company

We lost our way once we started accepting the fact that companies don't need to pay dividends. We should've stopped a long time ago. It's all just speculation now.

An ex US president died of old age

ALSO THE YIELD CURVE ISN'T PROPERLY INVERTED YET
RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
THE 2-10 YIELDS HAVE TO CROSS, OTHERWISE IT DOESN'T MEAN SHIT, YOU STUPID FUCKING NORMIES!
FUCK THIS UNINFORMED FUD SHIT

Attached: 1543426140860.png (1500x805, 644K)

>An ex US president died of old age
POOR OL' DUBBAYA KICKIN IT IS NOT A VALUD EXCUSE

BLOODSHED NAOW

to redistribute wealth into the hands of more competent people
i, for one, am glad it exists because its **fun** and also i shudder to think of a world where all corporations are ''entirely'' bank-owned **tho we arent far rn desu**

>you were right
capped desu

lol no dont sell naked options. if you want a trade thats profitable ''most'' of the time, sell covered calls. naked options, especially with the crazy shit thats happening is fucking asking for it. big time. ask scoops. he got cucked hard on LCI on a bunch of short puts at like 11 or something awful like that
F

Attached: i was rite tbh fam.png (692x415, 53K)

But cheapies

Attached: 1532689878670.png (500x300, 108K)

inversion itself doesnt mean anything really
it simply means that bondkikes dont see the near term as too kosher. but near term in bondkike vernacular is a lot longer than most longterm traders here

Inversion does mean something if the algorithms make risk assessments based off of it and many tards are using those algorithms.

So we all have to suffer.

Attached: 1404440356410.png (800x600, 26K)

Delete

shes supposed to be dead but since Im psychic Im saw her post as user

Attached: xtiy.jpg (1000x793, 616K)

Everyone says that all you have to do to make money at the market is be smart, but I'm starting to wonder if "be smart" just means "be lucky."

no it means being fluent in python

the big boys have been selling off into every single rally weve had this year desu m8
i tried to warn you...
but you looked away...
youtube.com/watch?v=5l4OEJ38aLY

good eye
are the new modz literally this much of niggers? rkg was a fucking staple of Jow Forums

Attached: 1430245386556.jpg (295x300, 45K)

Be patient and not emotional.

Luck doesn't hurt though.

Put 90% of your money in diverse index funds and see how you can do in individual stocks with the remaining 10% position trading.

Attached: 1432270262903.jpg (499x499, 51K)