/smg/ - Stock Market General

Ideal gf edition

>I'm new to the stock market, what stocks should I buy?
Before you buy anything, make a brokerage account and read investopedia articles and/or the books in the OP list. If you don't have a broker, you can't buy stocks, and if you blindly buy things without understanding how the stock market works or doing any research on the individual stocks you're buying, you will lose money and it will be entirely your fault.

List of popular brokers:
pastebin.com/mrSchZPg

List of basic stock market terminology for newfags:
pastebin.com/VtnpN5iJ

Real-time market news:
thefly.com/index.php

Educational sites:
investopedia.com/
khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain

Free in depth technical analysis charts:
tradingview.com

Premarket Data:
pastebin.com/y9PRQLR3

Earnings Report Calendars:
biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/today.html
earningswhispers.com/calendar

Biopharma Catalyst Calendar:
biopharmcatalyst.com/

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

S&P 500 VIX Futures (For SVXY/UVXY, higher is better for UVXY, lower is better for SVXY)
investing.com/indices/us-spx-vix-futures

Basic rundown on options:
youtube.com/watch?v=TBAQtjyqNHw
youtube.com/watch?v=SuTTzfa4ePE

Suggested books:
pastebin.com/jgA5zTuC

Previous thread:

Attached: 2f9cf8c8-c865-4547-a052-179320b33fce_1.4dc9da4c3043ec0e1cb8337ccf4c5d2e.jpg (2000x2000, 1.88M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.twitter.com/savestacks/status/1070509710271569920
youtube.com/watch?v=yOOrqholDMY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

RED

I meant to say Trash can edition

first for rkg rise from her grave
fuck the jannies
fuck 4channel
fuck futures
fuck trade war

BUY TQQQ
GOLDEN BULL

Attached: shenzhenbull.jpg (1280x853, 185K)

I can literally taste the theta decay I earned on my spreads. Mmmmm, delicious. Tomorrow will be the official start of the greater /depression/.

Attached: BEARGANGBEARGANG.png (776x436, 70K)

What should I fill my IRA with Jow Forums?

Attached: 9000.jpg (1355x689, 457K)

make this pic the next thread tomorrow because its JUSTD everyone

Attached: JUST.jpg (1879x971, 277K)

cant wait to pick up those young Cheapies tomorrow

Attached: m.jpg (150x200, 10K)

*sips*
Ahhhhhhhh, nothing beats a good bottle of coke.

Attached: buffet_sips.jpg (1910x1000, 206K)

Tr-Tr-Trips
tomorrow will be glorious. -4% or higher for S&P bby

Attached: 1536525681783.jpg (1600x900, 225K)

T LMT DIS MSFT

GE is gonna break $7 tomorrow

Their dividend yield and low as fuck beta is great. Everyone like WM for downturns, but KO and other low beta, high dividend consumer staples seem great. Am I missing something?

I switched out my USO calls for SPY puts ending in early January and some this Friday + USO puts ending this Friday. Thoughts?
The USO puts are questionable, but I had made some money off puts on it before the G20 and switched to calls on Friday and got some profit off the lift, but now it seems uncertain again so I switched back to puts.

Attached: im back ayy.gif (220x187, 216K)

Nope, you've got it right. Fat consumer dividends and utilities do really well, even in recessions.

Thanks! Appreciate that if you remember to do it

IM JUST SO LONELY AND HORNY

WHY DOES FAKE NEWS HAVE TO EXIST
I SHOULD HAVE MADE 25000 TOMORROW BY HAVING 10 AMAZON 1725 CALLS FOR 100 EACH AND NOW I MISSED OUT BECAUSE I BELIEVED IN THE MAJOR RECESSION MEME

FUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

LMT is on my list I am highly considering. Same with MSFT.

What is so great about T? I know their dividend is falsely inflated from them hitting a low in price right now. Their growth is pretty bad too.

Healthcare is the best performing sector.

If you control the children you control the market
Long Disney, Nike and Adidas

Hulu asset selloff, debt pay down, Time Warner and starting yield pushed down by FUD.

Kids love gambling too.

Say my name before it's too late

Attached: 00_aa_bbea2-260x300.jpg (260x300, 28K)

Meant for

Holy shit. The market is flat out crashing. I would sell everything if you still haven't cashed out. S&P500 futures are down -1.33% and NASDAQ is down -1.69%. We will see another -3% day. This is seriously terrifying. This is looking like the biggest crash in history. Ignore the dummies saying to DCA down to $0. Sell everything and come back in at -50%. This is the big one.

see

Attached: depression_ahead.jpg (284x177, 12K)

>”a bottle”
>actually a can

Ok retard

Attached: 6FA77BAE-D54B-470E-9ED2-E646C3D1BFD8.jpg (298x300, 32K)

Health care, utilities, and consumer staples are the holy trinity of defensive noncyclicals to hold in a bear market

Attached: 1539734246727.jpg (1020x1360, 133K)

>Health care, utilities, and consumer staples are the holy trinity of defensive noncyclicals to hold
Health care? you mean like LCI?

Attached: 1538423654199.jpg (750x740, 105K)

P-peter S-

Attached: 1425343954999.jpg (601x601, 85K)

Utilities are better to enter in the midst of things.

All in on APHA tomorrow.

Shorter's a fucking lying faggot.

mobile.twitter.com/savestacks/status/1070509710271569920

listen from 13:45 to 14:42 for some motivation folks

youtube.com/watch?v=yOOrqholDMY

whats the story here??

I already have LCI and won't sell it for another drug company but if it's a good story i'll throw some chips on the table.

Good luck...... hopefully we have a bottom.

Attached: 11eae314d6ee84576b61f0711c7fd237--fallout-posters-fallout-art.jpg (474x733, 52K)

Weed IPO got FUD’d by bears

A company called QCM in conjunction with Hindenburg Research is shorting the fuck out of Aphria, one of if not the leader in Canada MJ.

They successfully thrashed the fuck out of the SP but the report is complete horseshit, to the point where something they claimed in the report, that there was no dispensary in Jamaica at the address Aphria claimed and that it was in fact a shell, required one Jamaican dude five minutes to drive to to prove incorrect.

Not to mention the shorter interviewed on BNN today looking like an absolute dear in the headlights. My guess is they've already covered their short and are long now, so I'm riding this bitch back up with them since they already screwed me out of money.

Currently at 600 shares at $9.22 average. Going to buy 400 shares tomorrow to hopefully get the average down to below $8 and ride this bitch up to at least $15.

My life is ruined but idc because I'm drunk. I get bullied I'm poor everyone is above me I'm a pariah but idgaf fuck the jannies

Attached: Hitomi-Tanaka-GiF-busty-JAV.gif (375x375, 1.94M)

What a disgusting woman

>What a disgusting woman
Yeah I bet she has a yucky vagina

classic bear trap enjoy missing out on those huge gains next week

Wtaer and sleep for dinner for the rest of the week...

TA on Aphria since it's the talk of the town.

No meme lines needed here other than support and first major resistance above current. For me it's mainly a matter of whether or not that $4.55 support from June 2017 (yes 2017) holds up. Thing is obviously way oversold on daily and weekly. General way to play it is to wait until it falls to support and holds or, if not, whether it enters a consolidation range for a while on declining volume followed by bull break.

Attached: APHA.jpg (1822x899, 523K)

You gotta accept that anything past rudimentary TA is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Even then you should take it with a grain of salt. Go ask some decision science guys or finance guys about it. They all know it's bs.

The yield curve inverted. The market is not going up for a long time mate. Please tell me why you think the market will go up again in short term? There is no more good news on horizon. You are stupid if you haven't liquidated everything. Screen cap this post if you don't believe me.

>The yield curve inverted

the 3 year/5 year yield curve inverted, not the 2 year/10 year yield curve
the 2 year/10 year curve is the one that matters

Attached: 1457069019234.jpg (500x375, 36K)

If the 2yr goes above the 10yr, I'm gonna shit my pants.

Attached: BEAR'd.png (796x1082, 101K)

>Please tell me why you think the market will go up again in short term?
people are still blindly buying with 401ks and apps like acorns

bears have a stronger case then bulls right now.

k. You realize that one came within single digits of inverting, right? It will invert within weeks if not days. You are stupid if you think a recession is not coming along the way. The max 20% gains you can make before the recession is not worth the 50%+ you will lose during it. 50%+ > 20%.

On the positive side, this week there is a breakout contender that, unlike the stocks I hold (fuck), broke out and held a lot of the gains. Fucking TerrAscend and Curaleaf broke bullish in the past couple days and both gave away all or almost all gains from the day, respectively. Bah!

Anyway. 48North here. NRTH on the TSXV. I know absolutely nothing about this company, only just noticed the chart this evening. Pretty good pop on significant buy volume, held green today despite the ETF losing a decent chunk under sell pressure. For this I either want to see a break above 0.71 resistance or consolidate in to bull flag formation with a sharp volume drop.

Attached: NRTH1.jpg (1820x899, 544K)

Those people are a tiny fraction of the market. They are irrelevant.

>all stocks lose 50% during a recession

Attached: 1534896550631.png (827x953, 279K)

I'm a swing trader, user. TA is critical for it. Yes, partly because every other day and swing trader on the market uses it and bases their decisions on it. So yes, self fulfilling. Nevertheless, trading short term is impossible without using and understanding TA.

Attached: 1538685539210.jpg (988x1000, 103K)

these percentages you're pulling out of your ass are completely arbitrary and don't take into account the fact that not everyone has the exact same portfolio
some sectors perform better than the rest during a recession, namely noncyclicals (health care, utilities, consumer staples), because they produce goods and services that are in demand regardless of what the economy is like (water, food, electricity, medicine, etc)

what the fuck is decision science hahaha

its cute that you think you can time the market. when you get a big boy account with tax implications for selling you'll understand that you properly allocate capital to various assets and just go with whatever scenario presents itself, readjusting along the way.

What did you do with your holdings during the last recession?

Attached: Sector-Rotation-Economy-Model-090516.png (776x526, 87K)

lol peons
the Fed patched recessions
This is the golden bull run
See you at SPX 3000 peons

"Energy" means Utilities, and "Staples" means consumer staples

i only had paltry sums invested so it doesnt really matter. i went short in 2010 tbqh, it was the wrong move.

the retards on here giving advice have 2 months of salary involved and are not serious investors.

Going all in on SPY puts

See you in hell boys

I'm not sure if you're fucking with me or not, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. DS is the field that actually builds forecasts. Their entire field is dedicated to interpreting data sets, like say s&p 500 data. If you actually give a fuck look up the random walk, and forecasting methods like Winter's, Holt's, ARIMA, seasonal variation, p-values, and t-tests. You can give yourself a layman's rundown pretty quick and be just knowledgeable enough about it to be dangerous.

Before anyone thinks I'm DS and trying to talk them up for some reason, I'm a private accountant.

>US in the middle of negotiating a trade deal with China.
>Decide it's a good time to arrest Huawei CFO and piss off China
Whatever hope there was of a US China trade deal to give this market some hope of recover just went out the window. See you guise at the bread line.

Interesting, I've never gotten the perspective of someone who was invested in equities during that time. With that experience, you would still say it's a poor choice to attempt a bit of market timing to avoid the worst of the drops? It's hard for me to justify being long in any capacity with this much volatility, and no sign of it slowing.

"readjust along the way" is market timing you fool. You "don't market time" people are the worst because you are delusional and try to rename whatever you're doing as not market timing when it clearly is.

>implying that's not leverage

>people are still blindly buying

If the market is going up, blindly buying is adding to a winning position
If the market is going down, blindly buying is cost averaging down

Even though it's a braindead strategy, continuously buying works in the long term for most normies

Attached: 1541094197647.png (884x1080, 528K)

i think it's a poor but inevitable choice (from my own experience). you need to learn for yourself, because when you view market movements in hindsight everything seems obvious until you need to make decisions in real time. let's say you go to mostly cash because you're nervous - when do you get back in exactly? play out the various scenarios in your head. buying is difficult because there is always a reason not to.

i don't try to predict in the future, but instead keep a specific ratio of various asset classes (stocks, bonds, cash, etc). that's not timing, that's rebalancing at set intervals.

Until the market tanks, you lose your job, and can't buy shit anymore near the bottom. Seems like DCA posters like to live in fantasy world where recessions only impact the stock market.

>he doesn't have job security

>tfw everyone in the world was unemployed during the Great Recession

those poor people

Attached: 1543960461670.jpg (848x480, 56K)

ha

Why go all cash when you could just go with a safe bond ETF like BND and sit as long as you have to?

this. Its mathematically impossible for the market to go down any further

>people actually afraid of a dip

>omega titanium diamond plated support at 2660

>tfw when the 1 month goes above the 50 year

Attached: 1538076215350m.jpg (678x904, 105K)

in the short term, i would consider BND and cash essentially the same thing. so if you hate the idea of inflation eroding cash holdings and want to collect your 3% - fine, consider it the same thing.

Cash loses value while BND outperforms inflation man you can't compare the two.

ready for cheapies?

Attached: images (1).jpg (275x183, 5K)

Do I sell my $500 of TQQQ tomorrow and immediately put it into SDS? There's no way in hell tomorrow is a bull day.

IM FROM GOVT AND I THINK BND SUCKS

Attached: e63.png (286x439, 328K)

BND is not the same as cash. The government debt is insane and the US is likely to default on its debt within the next 10 years. US government bonds are worth less than toilet paper. You couldn't pay me to take them.

sure, unless bond yields go up. look at 1Y chart of BND. i can't predict this shit so i hold both BND and cash.

If that happens you will have much bigger problems than your portfolio to worry about haha

I didn't know Ron Paul posted on Jow Forums

Attached: 1491707229735.png (1000x926, 1.21M)

don't ever go full doomer

Technology is still advancing at a good pace. If that stops then you can become a doomer but right now we still many exponential fields of science and technology that will drive the economy.

Only a matter of time now, mate. I am the only realist in this thread.

Attached: fe8xmskbdl221[1].png (1031x269, 21K)

this is the reason i'm eternally optimistic on equities, over the long term. also i've watched too many ray kurzweil documentaries. i suppose the history of the market also has something to do with it.

let's pretend you're right and we're headed for another major recession and huge market drawdowns. what levels are you all in? and if we don't hit that level, what do you do with your capital that's being eaten by inflation?

How much is big boy account to you?

i'll keep it relative and say 10 years of intentional savings. with that perspective, the money means something to you and is not something you're willing to gamble with willy nilly.

>Powell got dovish
>Trump/Xi ceasefire

It was too sudden. The big boys had shifted too far to shit that was too safe. Now FUD articles are spreading so that they can sell out of the mini-rally and get into position for the return of the golden bull.

The yield curve that matters didn't invert. And even if it had that means the shitstorm is still at least a year away if it comes at all. They are manipulating you. Call the bluff.

Don't be caught like a flat footed bear bitch. Get in there.

Attached: 1515382843859.jpg (500x500, 30K)

>the money means something to you and is not something you're willing to gamble with willy nilly.

that's completely antithetical to the advice "don't invest money you can't afford to lose"

by the way, if you do decide to get a knife for your christmas present, you're going to need to learn how to sharpen it eventually
no matter how good a knife's steel is, it can't hold an edge for long enough that it never needs to be sharpened

a arkansas or diamond bench stone and a leather strop should do the trick for just about any knife you could buy (unless you have a super hard powder metallurgy steel like S35VN or S90V, then you should definitely use a diamond sharpening stone)
avoid tungsten carbide pull-through sharpeners at all cost, they don't work and fuck the blade's edge geometry up
it might be better to learn how to sharpen on a cheap kitchen knife as well, if you have the option, just to make sure you don't make any really dumb mistakes and mess it up too much for you to be able to repair
even if that does happen at some point (very unlikely as long as you aren't a complete retard about it), a professional will likely be able to fix whatever the issue is

Attached: 1538174931098.png (807x700, 445K)

i'm talking about saved money that's above and beyond 6-12 months of emergency funds. if you can't scrape together additional savings beyond that then you probably shouldn't be investing it.

Hmm if I had 10 years under my belt and have held 100% equities for the last few years, I’d swap some for bonds and not even Bogle himself could convince me to hodl.

imagine if a president had sacked up 20 years ago

you should be spitting everytime a president is mentioned that's not Trump.