Keep applying for IT jobs in a very pro IT area for months

>keep applying for IT jobs in a very pro IT area for months
>get nothing not even a email or call despite having certs and knowing both t-sql and mysql
>tfw still have to work shit jobs for the next few months
when the FUCK will q1 start in the IT world. This also belongs in biz because i wanna start making more money

Attached: 1542571207052.jpg (1000x1000, 230K)

forming sql queries is not an in demand skill you fucking tard

Yes, it fucking is you retard

Wtf I'm gonna start going to school for IT in January

use nepotism
meet people if you don't know any

> despite knowing BOTH t sql and mysql

lmao wat. no wonder you get zero calls if these are your ""IT"" skills

what more do i need to know?

Why aren't you employed then?

its fucking q4. All the entry level jobs are gone until next month

Irrelevant skillset in 2018

how?

curious, do you have the mcsa cert for t-sql? Studying right now and I'm worried about not being able to find something entry level.

Getting my first MS cert in about two weeks. I know i'll be able to find a job once Q1 starts but i can't work these shit tier jobs with fucking losers anymore. Its killing me.

Every retard in that industry knows sql, you faggot. It's pretty much the easiest thing after HTML.
Do you actually have rare and valuable skills? What do you have in your portfolio?

Don't listen to people here. I know some db administrators who just work with sql and nothing more, and they do consider newcomers for entry level positions. I personally applied to 33 jobs before landing my job. I think ultimately the reason was that I applied for a job that a job recruiter posted. So he saw my resume and "improved" it, gave me interview pointers and basically did for me what I couldn't do: lie like a mf.

This is all i needed to read. I just needed someone other than my father and his friends (who have 20+ years in the industry) to tell me this can get me a good job without a degree. I really hope this month flies bye quick

2k saved and 550 invested into ko. I am 18

I didn't mean your financial portfolio but the projects that you've done in the past which can showcase your experience.
But you're still pretty young so you probably don't have much to show. What kind of jobs do you apply for?

I have a few SQL class certs under my belt and am getting my first MS cert in the next two weeks. I'll take f*cking anything man. My dad even told me if i can get an internship he'll pay me the 10 dollars an hour i'm making now

I'm gonna keep writing because the people ITT really just talked out their ass about a lot of things and i don't want to let it go.

I worked as a level 2 asp.net programmer for 4 years. in our IT department we had a dba team of about 9 dba's. they were around for business hours and at least one was on call at all time. We could start a work ticket with them so that they could help us normalize a db, but mostly we would start tickets to clear and grant permissions on db's.

the dba's maybe had other skills, but you wouldn't know it because they would tell us they could only help us with sql stuff. and even though some programmers incorporated no-sql into their business, they were basically left on their own because the dba's would only give you advice or work on your databases if they were sql db's. i wouldn't be surprised if all they knew was sql, but they knew it well. the programmers in my team knew sql well, but we would still get help from them for faster queries.

CONT

continued

also, sql is an industry standard for a reason, if you know how to use the query analyzing tool you could get a fast mf query.
I remember them talking once about a guy who applied last year to be a dba. and he failed it because he WAS USING EMBEDDED QUERIES INSTEAD OF JOINS. they told him to learn more and get back to them. he applied one year later and was still doing the same thing. but they weren't vicious about it and talked shit, they were more like lamenting it. so you can be a retard and apply for these jobs apparently. and also you have to consider that once an IT department becomes a mcrosoft shop (meaning they use mostly microsoft products [and not like linux or java]), they really dig themselves into a hole and could care less if you know no-sql.

i also once went on a hike and met an asian chick from Hong Kong. she got a degree in Psycho Analyzing. I kid you not. She told me she applied for a sql job because the job title was "analyst" and she got the mother fucking job. I repeat, her degree was for psychology and she got a dba job. if there's one field where you don't need a diploma it's IT. although, you better be really fucking good.

Anyways, from reading that you're 18, i'd say to persevere and keep doing what you're doing and not give up. but that might be the reason they're not hiring you. and there's nothing wrong with that. i was earning shit until 24 when i finally landed my programming job. also, since you're young i'd suggest you start learning other IT skills like a different programming language a year people say.

>I kid you not. She told me she applied for a sql job because the job title was "analyst" and she got the mother fucking job
This made me laugh out loud. Thanks user. I'm gonna keep studying and applying!

If you're in IT and you're not a full stack dev, you're wasting your time. No one cares about sql anymore

This might be horrible advice but...

I have found that at this stage in the global economy, you need to stop thinking you have to get a corporate job to succeed.

This doesn’t mean like you have to like your own start up, but don’t hold your nose at contracting.

Even so much as doing WordPress pages for old people (well even that uses SQL) and generally being a ronin for hire with no stable life.

Yeah it sounds shitty not being a corporate but honestly corporations will fuck you over no matter if they are run by good people.

I’ve seen too many people in tears that had given their all to the corporation for over 10 years and they still got laid off with me... The lowly contractor at the time. I was like... Whelp... Time to move to next project.

They were like “Muh kids! Muh career path! Muh retirement!”

Side note... That is why I leaned finance and investing (stocks and crypto) because I knew early on that I was never going to get a kushy 401k.

Attached: 0B0BE380-0216-43F3-BFE5-6BBF0AED9D86.jpg (500x692, 82K)

I just don't wanna work nights in a grocery store anymore man

have you tried applying for QA and analyst positions? not always, but often enough SQL is the only hard requirement for those positions...

Wtf is this thread. I taught myself at home while attending university in a very unrelated field. When I applied for a job (entry level full-stack ASP.NET) fluidity in T-SQL was required. Now EVERYONE there knows T-SQL, MYSQL etc. it is just something you know on the side, like html and some retarded css stuff. Is everyone there a SQL guru? No, not at all. But actually working FULL TIME using only SQL on the job in a company that has less then 100 employees is.. just the fucking toppest of keks. This is like writing "I'm rly good at writing English and using some microsoft word" on your resume. Sides are in orbit

>being this smug

the problem is that your company has less than 100 employees. like i explain here
once your company gets big enough they start creating specialized teams. and there is such a thing as dba teams. and if you were to ask the dba's to help you with your mysql or your no-sql stuff, they would tell you to fuck off. they used a ticket system where if you needed their help you would start a ticket that would be put in a queue, and you'd have to wait for them to help you. and they were pretty busy most of the time. so their work was specialized, and your question better be about sql.

and it was a good system. the IT department's official stance was that we would be a microsoft shop and use microsoft related products. it's financially smart to not promise support for every new fad technology that comes out.

>get nothing not even a email or call despite having certs and knowing both t-sql and mysql

maybe try some real skills

Certs aren't a portfolio. A portfolio is a collection of work you have done. Here is one that someone on Jow Forums posted in the last /wdg/ thread:

- I've built a website that utilizes IMDB and TheMovieDatabase with a user-login where you can share movie/tv suggestions with friends
- Built a copy of Jow Forums
- Built a site that lets you host/admin over a play-by-email game. Has chat functionality, user accounts that track what games you are in, and how fast you are likely to take your turns.
- Built a static-paid-website for a local laundromat/fluff and fold. Once they get wifi, they've asked me to incorporate a page that lets people select the music being played if they are locally logged in.

>t. Guy who doesn’t work in tech

And what skills do you have? Not gonna answer huh? Didn’t think so

knowing sql would be in a long list of tlas in my cv, you make it seem like those are central skills to be hired on

>tsql
>mysql
That it? These days you gotta be full stack or go back to burger flipping

Shitposting from the start up incubator i am laughting at you mongrel

Literally I learned that and PHP in a $10 online course. I made a website too but hackers shut me down

3chan,io will rise again!!

if you're still lurking, what kind of a job a portfolio like that gets you? I really want a field change from doing java backend.

it's a "dress for the job you want" kind of thing. if there's a specific job you want then prove it by actually doing it.
what kind of job/pay a certain skill gets you is at least partially regional, you have to do your own research.

>asian female got hired as a DBA when she had a psychology background
>what is a diversity hire or lets hire a hot asian for the office
i recently took an interview as a network technician. it was a panel interview infront of 5 people. the interview was similar to taking an IT certificate exam. probably 30-40 questions that ranged from routing protocols, switch technologies, packet data, types of cable, termination and ports; basically anything you would ever run into from layer 1-4 of OSI. turns out the position was for a digital POTS cable technician with minor amounts of switch programming.

every IT interview ive ever had is a practical exam, you HAVE to know your stuff.

Software Engineer here, no fucking company is going to hire you just because you know how to write a fucking database query. At least get some frontend/back-end skills for companies to actually care.

You literally have a lower skillset than a pajeet

Not meant to be a reply, just aimed at OP