Why do people create open source software? Why would you do work that is worth potentially millions of dollars for free...

Why do people create open source software? Why would you do work that is worth potentially millions of dollars for free? Programmers are the biggest cucks in the world

Attached: A8679C94-60FA-41E2-8269-E939294F1312.jpg (250x220, 16K)

its easier for companies to start using it, less start up cost and you can tailor it to yourself

Free as in free speech. You can still make money from the software and keep it ope source.

We've moved on from selling software as a product, to selling it as service. Just don't use AGPL.

You can make other cucks do the maintenance work for you, for free

In practice this doesn't happen

You make one open source version with limited features, then a closed source version with lots of features + live support. That’s what my company does.

Yeah my company will often fork open source, improve it, and then close source the improvements kek

To show how awesome they are at their craft. Job offers up the ass.

If your company is not distributing the improved software outside the company, then there is no problem, assuming it's GPL.

BSD and MIT licenses really are cuck licenses though.

You can build a portfolio by working on open source projects on github for example and then add your profile to your resume.

Nah it’s all internal use

If the software you wrote is useful enough for large enough group of people, yes, it actually does happen.

This is bait, right?
> What is open office
> What is cryptocurrencies
> What is Linux
Etc.

Open source software is mostly a meme. The code of open source software is usually so esoteric that only the original developers themselves understand it. This is done intentionally so that it creating forks on the source code is discouraged. They just use the open source aspect as a gimmick and as a badge of honor, not because they really expect nor want people create alternate versions of their software.

Attached: ww-frogs-budgetts.adapt.945.1.png (945x531, 718K)

To change things, user.

I forgot everyone reading this thread was Linus Torvalds.

because programmers have a culture and are decent people, something outsiders won't understand
(that's the way in like knee pads)

>Thinking open source and free/gratis software is the same

user I...

Attached: 1543659372316.jpg (511x671, 41K)

I work for a carity.
They make millions without much work.
You're just naive OP, nothing is free in this world.

>programmers have a culture and are decent people

They're regular people. Their openness and progressivism are just masks.

If you create a useful, general-purpose library, it's actually good business to open source it.
The amount of money you can get through books, tutorials, consultancy far greater exceeds whatever you could get by selling the piece of software directly.

I know, I don't really get it either.
I imagine they start doing it as a hobby when they still live with their parents and have no responsibility.
Then as they get older, they realize that shit's not paying the bills and gradually stop doing it.
A lot of projects probably get dropped because enough people realize it isn't worth working for free.
But even more projects are popular enough to have other people maintain them when the original devs drop out.

This. If you've ever been to /wsr/, or asked for an image modification in /w/, or requested artwork in /a/, you'll realize that people just like to help out if it's a skill they enjoy performing.

Large crud apps are a different ballgame, but smaller libraries that serve functional, auxilary purposes are better off open source most of the time

option 1
>make awesome library
>make people pay you for it
>have to continually respond to bugs and requests or pay people to do so or lose customers
>maintence is boring and you could be doing other things
>spend so much time maintaining that the library becomes out of date and falls out of popularity
>very few software projects are financially viable for over 5 years, esp smaller libraries
>resume

option 2
>make awesome library
>open source it
>hundreds, thousands of users
>clout
>can ride the clout to work at companies that pay 250k TC
>can mine users to work at your own startup
>if a big company picks it up, you can be a consultant to fix their problems with it for crazy consultant money
>other people will help out maintaining it for free
>bugfix and new features when you feel like it, no one cares
>slowly dies while you find new stuff to build
>repeat every two years for serious resume building

This can become shitty pseudo propiertary software no one wants to work on. Usually better off OOTB as possible imo

because it’s not worth millions of dollars. no one pays for software anymore, especially for shit made by one or two idiots in their spare time.

the reason they write open source software is to make a name for themselves and become more hireable. that’s where the real money comes from.

The point of open source is to get improvements, bugfixes and security patches for free. If you need to constantly update muh secret fork, you've fucked up.