/smg/ - Stock Market General

mixed markets edition

>I'm new to the stock market, what stocks should I buy?
Before you buy anything, make a brokerage account and read investopedia articles and/or the books in the OP list. If you don't have a broker, you can't buy stocks, and if you blindly buy things without understanding how the stock market works or doing any research on the individual stocks you're buying, you will lose money and it will be entirely your fault.

List of popular brokers:
pastebin.com/mrSchZPg

List of basic stock market terminology for newfags:
pastebin.com/VtnpN5iJ

Real-time market news:
thefly.com/index.php

Educational sites:
investopedia.com/
khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain

Free in depth technical analysis charts:
tradingview.com

Premarket Data:
pastebin.com/y9PRQLR3

Earnings Report Calendars:
biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/today.html
earningswhispers.com/calendar

Biopharma Catalyst Calendar:
biopharmcatalyst.com/

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

S&P 500 VIX Futures (For SVXY/UVXY, higher is better for UVXY, lower is better for SVXY)
investing.com/indices/us-spx-vix-futures

Basic rundown on options:
youtube.com/watch?v=TBAQtjyqNHw
youtube.com/watch?v=SuTTzfa4ePE

Suggested books:
pastebin.com/jgA5zTuC

Previous thread:

Attached: asdfasdfasdff.jpg (203x248, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hempindustrydaily.com/farm-bill-compromise-hemp-cbd/
cnbc.com/2018/12/12/forced-tech-transfers-must-stop-or-be-regulated-eu-ambassador-to-china.html
blogs.imf.org/2018/11/15/sounding-the-alarm-on-leveraged-lending/
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-11/the-death-of-fed-funds-as-market-dries-up-fomc-asks-what-next
moodysanalytics.com/-/media/article/2018/weekly-market-outlook-slower-growth-amid-high-leverage-lessens-upside-for-interest-rates.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

SHUT UP AND BUY IT NYA

Attached: 1541654381333.jpg (4096x3045, 806K)

Golden Bull on the prowl
Get ready tomorrow

Attached: 11711166-golden-bull-3d-render.jpg (450x317, 14K)

I'm long 1 e-mini, and not a single one of you can stop me

Can someone explain the absolute state of IVZ? I haven't bought in yet because it continues to plunge
I just don't understand

Attached: 1544214659563.jpg (933x699, 123K)

SPY 300 end of year

r-right

no.
Unfortunately, it has been postponed to q2

Attached: WE3suWE.png (512x512, 141K)

Article explaining why Farm Bill is important for weed stocks involved with hemp extracted CBD:

hempindustrydaily.com/farm-bill-compromise-hemp-cbd/

Senate passed today. House will pass shortly. Trump will not veto as he wants this bill.

Attached: 1540115199568.jpg (1096x1553, 1.09M)

>buying financials in a late cycle market

Attached: 1544370534795.jpg (716x620, 257K)

Like POT stocks but don't know which to buy? Bag this ETF for only $18 per and get all the major players in one swoop. As a bonus it pays out a div, a small 0.20 but considering that Pot stocks themselves don't pay out anything your still coming out ahead.

HMMJ is the name; pot and only pot is the game.

Thanks Shill, but HMMJ isn't on Robinhood.

MJ is, right? That's the US version. If not, safest long term bets are CGC and CRON as those are the two that have big alcohol (Constellation Brands) and big tobacco (Altria) as major shareholders within striking range of majority control whenever they choose to exercise.

Whoops, here it is, got the ticker wrong
HMLSF

Pic related assumes a conservative annual investment return of 5%, and annual withdrawals of 4% upon retirement.
>your net income
>your spending
How long until you can retire biz?
Somewhere around 25 years for me at this rate.

Attached: 4546573756375.png (629x518, 134K)

fuck you, mgm

under 15 years at my spending rate, and thats assuming i dont get a part time job to pay for mortgage/utilities/food/get health care, if i do that then like not even a decade

40%+ saving rate into index funds is the patricians choice

Don't know; I just know that in 15-16 years I'm "retiring" from my company. That's when I'll be able to draw a full pension w/full benefits. Got a 401k that I can tap at age, 60, I think. Then once I hit 67, bring on the S.S check. The only good thing about making 27k a year is that the S.S amount you get is higher than say if you were making 60k a year. Then my stocks of course.

Bull assembley

New market starts tomorrow

WOOF WOOF WOOF

Attached: uy6tjut.jpg (245x205, 7K)

Thank god I'm not in a position to depend solely on my stocks to fund my retirement yrs. If I lost it all it would hurt but not send me to the poor house. Don't get me wrong; I'm hoping that a few (or all) my positions will generate a lot of income for me over the years. Cause I'm a greedy barstard (lol)

Why is the market going up for no reason? Nothing good happened. I don't understand why futures so green.

I don't understand it either. I think it's all speculation at this point before the big January dip. Either way, I'm going to try to pick up some cheap utilities if I can find any, along with some cheap silver ETFs, maybe some bonds, and maybe some health care stocks. I can see the writing on the wall. This level of volatility isn't normal. We're heading towards a big bear market. I just wish I had realized it sooner.

Attached: bear.jpg (700x445, 88K)

so when do EMs stop losing?

(checked)
When do you intend to rebalance?

China war coming to an end, economists saying the economy is not in that bad of shape, fed likely wont increase rates more after december, brexit nodeal is highly unlikely, all the bad things have been priced in and volatility is settling, correction has run its course return to never ending bullrun

>ed likely wont increase rates more after december
Imagine actually believing this. If they don't raise rates then rising wages will destroy the economy.

Attached: zombie i seriously hope.png (718x639, 475K)

The truth is, nobody knows when or why the market is going to go up or down except for inside traders and maybe Warren Buffett.

CRON would be the safest bet since they're being backed by one of the biggest cigarette makers and distributors in the country.

It's the blue chip of weed stocks.

I'm kind of doing that now by buying certain holdings to hedge my bets and cost averaging down. Along with moving away from speculative assets.

If you're just getting into CRON now you got in at the wrong time. Wait for another weed dip than jump in. In the mean time I'll keep buying cheap aurora until they inevitably get a deal.

>Why is the market going up for no reason? Nothing good happened. I don't understand why futures so green.

Today was very good from TA perspective. Gap up gap was filled, trend support line was tested and held, close was above the bottom of the gap. What that means to traders is support is solid, bears didn't have enough volume to hold price down below the gap up or break that support. I know it can feel like markets are weak if they keep bumping up against key supports like this but in fact the opposite is usually true. If there are several tests of support and no sustained break below (intraday wick does not count), that's a sign bears are pretty much finished for this leg of the price wave. Technically signs are pretty bullish right now. Only thing that will turn it back to bear control is bad news (China negotiations fall through or something).

>market is bullish
>high interest rates on cash
>yield curve inversion
>mass layoffs which will drive down consumer demand
>extreme volatility
>tech industry which has been overvalued for far too long
>trade war still ongoing
Nah, Get ready for a wild ride.

Attached: 1528256686423.jpg (1200x1126, 122K)

Also, commodities are at historical lows and extremely under valued. If you aren't buying cheap silver ETFs, Oil, or the energy sector in general, you're making a big mistake.

are you talking about 400 day EMA as support line or some meme you drew

I got in at $9 I'm good.

Good job user.

>close was above the bottom of the gap

correction on that, it was a tad below. The story is the same.

$2620 support on the S&P.

You git with your macro philosophical doom and gloom. Git! The time will come but the time ain't now.

Attached: philippulus.jpg (1000x824, 138K)

Trust me, I don't want a bear market. I have far too much in market ETF's and stocks I over paid for near the top of the bubble but I'm just giving you fair warning from one investor to another. It's time to diversify into commodities, bonds, utilities and pretty much anything related to every day needs, rather than pricey consumer products.

Oil is a trap. Oil is no longer necessary in a distributed solar world with batteries. Tesla is the future. Energy sector is trash unless it's focused on green/alternative energies like Tesla. Tesla distributed solar tech will make utilities pointless. You don't need expensive distribution anymore and generation will be much cheaper. Tesla is a game changer. A once in a lifetime company that will revolutionize the world.

I can see your point. With that said, if and when another war breaks out, you'll be very happy with your cheap oil investment. Electric vehicles are great for the consumer market but the military needs heavy duty diesel engines for use in their vehicles, especially vehicles related to logistics, such as trucks and in times of volatility, that's when we generally see more wars. Hell, we have a global population of 7 billion+ with a finite amount of resources. We're over due for more conflict.

tfw no movie desu

Attached: sadgav.jpg (400x400, 34K)

>all of this
CREDIT CRUNCH CREDIT CRUNCH
HOPE U NIBBAS WERK IN ENTERTAINMENT
SHITS GON GIT FUCKT

also
reminder i was right again desu

Attached: GAV99.jpg (400x400, 35K)

also
while im here...
id like to really reiterate, as its getting more obvious than ever:
THE EU WILL NOT BE AROUND IN A FEW YEARS
prepare accordingly

the Golden Bull run is coming
if you havent prepped your longs by friday its over

Attached: xos.webm (1000x600, 440K)

y tho

Attached: fragezeichen-mädchen-real.png (200x200, 58K)

I dont know
Inflation?

Attached: rukia276.png (365x402, 357K)

PRINT MOAR DORRARS
THATLL FIX IT

you ever get the feeling that FEDniggers are just basically playing a game of vicky 2 or some other grand strategy game with an in depth economy? theyre just up there with some slider controls, frantically sliding things back and forth trying to pretend that they know what theyre doing

Thing is golden bull always has been apon us, minor correction due to things running a little too hot but now the engine has cooled and the bull has had a drink of water from the oasis we shall continue running through the tibetan desert, next stop, shanghai, climb on board boiz :^)

>golden bear doesnt exist and never will

Trump will initiate the golden bullrun today

>golden bear doesnt exist and never will
it does tho and its called the purchasing power of the dollar
the golden bear is what we are fighting every day by trying to beat 2% (more like 4 or 5 amirite??) per annum. not hard obviously, but motherfuckers be out there and dont even realize it an shieet

on the real tho, i think were just gonna do shit all till next year, then bounce ultra mega hard like were on a bouncehouse then the bounce house will explode and well fall into a pit of death till FEDniggers drop rates

too busy gargling middle eastern leaders cum to do that desu

Attached: 7f373975c3c4a20be33aa88a0a47821e028edef137d50f3953a040ff0a81da64.jpg (541x407, 34K)

The Fed are your frens :3
Powell has a bull up his sleeve

Aww yeah.

Attached: 1543085156283.png (657x794, 612K)

i want to believe

>The Fed are your frens :3
if youll remember this was the major contention point in our relationship
i dont trust those fucking demons and i never will

we should like, start our own international banking cabal, man

Attached: elon bluntz.png (1030x580, 1.26M)

maybe, or we could make Womens sandals

I like the fed because they pump sp500 golden bull, then they raise interest rates which moves money from the world to the sp500 golden bull, then they slow rates at the end which makes it golden bull again

Attached: ooda.png (867x1038, 136K)

>then they raise interest rates which moves money from the world to the sp500 golden bull
yea im still really worried about the EU
it honestly looks ready to jump
i know i saw last week, everyone ITT was talking about how the gilets jeunes thang was ogre, but i think theres something up desu. this is the first non controlled movement ive seen in a while, and their demands put macron in position where if he wants to comply, he has to act out completely against the EU and their rules. i think if the unrest continues (prolly will, considering how shite it is to be working class en france/EU in general) then we will see a situation where france has no choice but to leave. and if france jumps its fucking ogre.

dunno, but its very interesting geopolitical times were going into next year. this shit is better than a movie

america will get so fuckin' swole if the EU dissolves.

>Russia will get so fuckin' swole if the EU dissolves.
FTFY. Invest in ERUS

I just assumed the EU's days were imminently numbered when Brexit passed. I don't think it's a bad thing for North American markets.

All Macron has to do is give some concessions to protestors and they will fuck off. It's just occupy wallstreet but french and therefore even lamer.

AGNC PSEC NRZ O MORL AMLP DVYL ORC

We're all gonna make it, lads.

perhaps at first, but this looming US corporate credit crunch ''will'' catch up with us at some point desu. almost certain of it. i ''do'' think it may be a year or two out still, so if EU dissolves before then, you will be 100% correct. but its hard to say exactly what will happen as theres little historical data for a scenario where the global markets are on fire and the US keeps on like nothings happening. usually we end up crashed out too,a little bit afterwards. the last ex i can think of such a thing is the whole greece debacle in 15/16. while the US certainly digested those situations just find, i feel the drastically different monetary policy were in now will make such a scenario much more catastrophic for the burger markets than that one

>It's just occupy wallstreet but french and therefore even lamer.
then you dont have very much faith in the frogs
theyre unironically better at revolution than us
and their movement has ''already'' lasted un-infiltrated longer than the OWS shit did. their demands are reasonable, but in order to implement them macron will have to go over brussels head to do it. especially the stipulations about immigration, they will be impossible without a hard frexit.

and i think this will compound when the real fireworks start for the yuro markets next year. i dont even think its begun for EMs

Attached: r2 dindu.webm (640x360, 582K)

I believe loans for corporations begin getting called en masse in 2020/2021, so assuming all else stays clear, that might be when the crunch occurs.

yeah most of the junk bonds ive been watching and worrying about mature around then.
i cant believe w all the dodd frank b&hammer shit, they still let moodys r8 who the fuck ever as investment grade. this next crash will be their (and all the niggers turning blind eyes this whole time) fault. i mean i get why they did it, as we obviously werent getting out of 08 without some cheatcodes, but i mean fuck... did they have to do it all across the board? even corporations that ''arent'' that bad off are gonna get bogged hard. with the amount of corps that are possibly gonna get downgrades, even the ones that arent totally fucked will experience a huge loss in faith and sentiment. really glad im not balls deep in social media memes and """tech""" sector memes

god forbid the poor faggots holding hi-yield corporate debt rn

Attached: 0271672dc13f9130c337cb8e0835ad8e82c713988ed65e26387619d5adda557f.jpg (570x384, 50K)

Think 70s, 90s, 2008 all rolled into one
And if the 'recession' persists for years and we head towards the deadzone?
Expect another Great Depression

Wait, what about huge bond funds? BND is like 20% corporate bonds right? That could really cause some issues.

When interest rates rise is when the credit crunch will most likely occur.
Either that or a big event like a depreciation in the value of the USD
If so, expect another 2008 but except no stimulus to boost the economy this time before it hits rock bottom.

Mind looking at my post here and giving your thoughts?

id gree if it wasnt for the fact that i think this credit crunch might be part of the plan.
my theory is that they are throwing most of the corporations to the wolves in order to consolidate their power

think of it like feudal stuffs
>king FED
>nobles AMZN GOOG etc
>vassals are all other """tech""" memes
king FED used 08 to consolidate their power over all major banks. i think the fuckhuge corps like AMZN/GOOG will do a similar thing this time, buying up all the assets they want, establishing more thorough monopolies, and it will all be totally "legal" as it will be the only thing stopping well over half of the american corporate market from going tits up.

wew if you only knew the half of it
look up how MM is done on corporate bond funds post dodd frank.
banks are not allowed to MM on them anymore
so you know who does?
hedgies.
whaddya wanna bet the bid is going to dry up big time when the rug gets pulled? those hedgies have a job and their job is to not lose everything when it crashes. were gonna see these bond ETFs gap down in real time. theres gonna be a lot of peoples pension funds that are gonna get fucking eviscerated

Where am I suppose to put my 401k? There are no choices. Everything feels like a loser.

ur mattress

srsly tho, i have no idea
im not trading at all till i see how next year goes (fuck trading low volume holiday shit anywho). theres a lot of things on the table rn and some of them arent gonna effect us immediately. and some of my doomsday predictions have been materializing as well, so i need to sit back and chew on all this new data desu senpai

I don't really trade the 401k. Work gives a bunch of funds and I pick and choose. So I can't customize my portfolio the way I would like.

>HMLSF
>same price YTD
Pathetic.

Attached: 50.png (628x392, 28K)

i think energy memes and commodities in general are about to bounce hard on all the inflation that will hit when spending dies down. but then, unrealized tradewar FUD has been plaguing that market all year. no confidence there either.

confusing market

We HODL these bags but maybe it's time we HODL each other. :/

Have you forgotten that this is Oh I dont know the GOLDEN BULLRUN
SPY 330, haters be damned

Attached: x9.jpg (300x310, 70K)

give it a couple years desu

indeed

Why did I buy Facebook at 165?

I'll miss the whole bull run

Did you all buy the dip

Attached: 1542008082595.png (887x560, 53K)

Did you notice how bank stocks are reacting to the recent 2/5 inverse?
Remember when the BAC short interest was super high that one time? The machines are a lot better now

you still have time to double down on fb, its going to do a slow up cup like what walmart did

I bought all the dips.

Attached: 1421257740138.gif (640x360, 1.89M)

DIP BUYERS RISE UP

ITS WHERE GAINS ARE

buying every red week is literally the best possible strategy, spend 30 minutes at the end of every Friday and BUY BUY BUY if we're red, and if we're green then its GOLDEN BULL ENGAGED

I waited out the first. Bought the second. Hard.

LET'S GO

Problem is I put in a lot of money so I can't cost average down very much

Next time I won't listen to a YouTube preacher selling Facebook as extremely cheap at $180

GREEN AS FUCK

>YouTube preacher

Yeah you've got to tune out a lot of shit when learning trading. I'd even go so far as to say completely avoid reading anything written on trading boards on reddit/stockhouse/stocktwits etc. There is so much junk, group think, intentionally misleading information. Better to just learn to read charts for best results with your preferred hold period and avoid anything like such and such stock is a good/bad buy because reasons. You look at chart, research company. You decide yay or nay.

>reddit/stockhouse/stocktwits

and here too, natch.

Attached: MINISTERYOU2.png (618x623, 446K)

Oh yeah, I'm thinking we're back

No more rate hikes after next week kids.

>o rly ?

Attached: uncle_powell_time_look_at_the_time_3.png (418x455, 126K)

Nikkei with that +2.15% tho.

Some of you are cool, don't long the volatility today.

Europeans took a moment from destroying themselves on the promises of how great diversity and crime is to say something to china

cnbc.com/2018/12/12/forced-tech-transfers-must-stop-or-be-regulated-eu-ambassador-to-china.html

"This has to stop or to be regulated," Chapuis told CNBC at the European Chamber Annual Conference 2018 in Beijing.

"Of course if a company wants to open its tech books to a Chinese company — all right, that's not an issue, but it has to be regulated so that there is no so-called 'forced tech transfer,'" Chapuis said.

thx just shorted 100k

Attached: baggy_MM.png (800x1497, 389K)

Most SMEs cannot pay back their 'loans'/debt once IR rises and will be forced to default
blogs.imf.org/2018/11/15/sounding-the-alarm-on-leveraged-lending/
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-11/the-death-of-fed-funds-as-market-dries-up-fomc-asks-what-next
moodysanalytics.com/-/media/article/2018/weekly-market-outlook-slower-growth-amid-high-leverage-lessens-upside-for-interest-rates.pdf

It is a house of cards.
But if it is really a repeat of 2008, expect to see the Chinese once again attempting to buy out everything.

Thoughts?

Enjoy those gains!

*gaps up*

>5M invested
>sweating over 250k