10 years ago people paid $0.99 to listen to one song

>10 years ago people paid $0.99 to listen to one song
>Today people pay $10 per month to listen to every song ever
How has the music industry not just collapsed from streaming?

Attached: Color-Spotify-Logo.jpg (1698x1150, 212K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hL0tnrl2L_U
youtube.com/watch?v=lVfQZzx8LfE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>paying for music

Attached: 1541820856528.jpg (306x306, 20K)

The culture industry has streamlined and there are now only 5 popular songs at a given time from 3 popular "artists"

>Something is freely available on torrent sites
>people pay money for it instead

I bet the jews hate this

...hasnt it?

>ten years ago everyone pirated music on naptster and dc++
>now everyone pays ten dollars a month because it's so fucking easy

yeah except some things aren't available on spotify. I'm looking at you Tool, fuck you maynard you have enough money

this.
I used to pay nothing for music and torrent everything. now i pay $10 a month for spotify and couldn't be happier.

It's few and far between now. For me it's just the Chronic, Joanna Newsom, and some Screeching Weasel albums. Everything else is there.

>How has the music industry not just collapsed from streaming?

1.) The music industry recognised it was dying and as a result diversified its revenue streams so that it is no longer relying solely on music purchases/streams, iirc lucian grainge said that UMG is no longer just a record label but is now a collection of multimedia companies that also releases music.

2.) more people listen to music through legal paying services now like spotify than in the itunes / mp3 / torrent era

that is literally how it has always been

no, total revenue is up year on year across the board

THIS. And everyone who's anyone is all in on this small handful of artists which is why despite the music being fucking terrible they're still around for 10+ years. The industry has killed the artist musician in favor of the social media personality "musician" which is why all music is fucking trash now and most good bands put out like 2-3 records then go to desk jobs or have to tour until irrelevancy to maintain any semblance of a livable wage.

>The industry has killed the artist musician in favor of the social media personality "musician

that's social medias fault, not the music industry's.

>which is why all music is fucking trash now
bet u leave comments on youtube videos saying this dont ya

>most good bands put out like 2-3 records then go to desk jobs or have to tour until irrelevancy to maintain any semblance of a livable wage.

it's always been like this. you cant just pick up a guitar and expect a million dollars right away.

Yeah the ability to download a couple albums on spotify and then just send it over bluetooth to listen while I drive is easily worth ten bucks as opposed to seeking out whatever the current best private tracker is, downloading, seeding, sending to my phone, etc.

Video streaming is a different story, it's too fragmented to beat piracy, but Spotify has at least 99 pct of the shit I want to listen to.

inb4 muh audio quality

>jailbait brown skank, trade in for a younger one every few years
>semi-retarded rapper with face tattoos
>witchy earthen feminist
>token taylor swift
Not too long ago artists could make it organically without being created in the Disney labs

only in the past few decades has the concept of paying for recorded music been a thing.

>pay money for air vibrations

this guy gets it

the recorded music industry has always been like that, and it is the same in other industries like the film industry, even ballet, opera, etc. every time there is a breakout artist/band/show/movie/genre that becomes popular everyone piles onto the bandwagon and wants a piece of the action. in fact you can see parallels of the same behaviour in the crypto market, as humans we naturally coalesce onto whatever is popular in our search for a novelty experience or in crypto's case; profit. literally every pump in crypto is this in action.

>only in the past few decades has the concept of paying for recorded music been a thing.

wrong. phonograph cylinders weren't given away for free. the act of recording music costs money and since the beginning this has always been recouped with sales of the recorded material.

kek get a load of this hipster faggot.

Music fag here. You have to play live shows. Can get some money if you get a lot of radio plays. No one makes money from selling actual music now.

Labels now try to take cuts of everything from merch to nightly guarantees when they sign someone.

Artists never made much off record sales to begin with.

It's not them. I read it's their contract and at some point they will be up.

I always tought the same.
But there are people who are talented and you can't say no, and people that you can clearley see that are product to make money

Beatles and 60-80-90 Nirvana music = talented people

today's music = shit

Music is so cheap that it's not even worth pirating anymore.

>he doesn't listen tibetian meditation music on spotify during the trading session
He'll never gonna make it.

normies gonna fuckin norm

ill sip to that, brother

Attached: rzbhvymch1b11.jpg (680x777, 103K)

2 million artists on spotify, rakesh - and that includes your beloved beatles and nirvana. if you can't find good music to listen to then you're a retard, which, judging by your pajeet spelling and grammar, you seem to be.

based

Because people will pay for streaming instead of pirating

take a song of the past like: youtube.com/watch?v=hL0tnrl2L_U
now compare it with the music today.
There has also been a scientific research that proves that music keep on going on being always and always wors year by year

May I ask how many albums from the last three years you've heard?

The Beatles are my all time favorite band and I still enjoy plenty of music from this decade.

youtube.com/watch?v=lVfQZzx8LfE

Advertising dollars during streaming

>he thinks people actually paid for music 10 years ago
lmao

this, for those who doesnt know one of the sportify creaters used to work on pirating and piratebay, he quit to program what would become sportify,
nothing to do with the music industry but im pretty sure sportify is then the contruary

>10 years ago people paid $10 to $25 to go to amazing concerts that had the top rock bands on the planet performing
>Today people pay $1000 - $10,000 (based on level of fancy tent and 'vip package' you buy) to go to 2-3 day "festivals" where they get to sleep in pristine air-conditioned tents to convince themselves that they're "hippies" like the people at woodstock who slept in dirt and mud were

way easier to pirate than to make a profile

>he doesn’t have $10 a month

Being this poor should be illegal

>paying money for 1s and 0s

>way easier
im pretty sure it is illegal to be poor but that wasnt even my point.
why do people even like the beatles, theyre just hipsters from the 60s or whatever.
>muh lsd love

No, it's not.

But back when listening a song was $0.99 yes, back then it was easier to pirate it.

$.01 earned per song is better than $0 earned per song because of piracy

I didn't go through the thread to see if anyone else posted this already

pirating songs is 10x more cumbersome than just streaming from Spotify.

Spotify has all the meme artists, but if you want something more indie you're often fucked

meanwhile YouTube has damn near everything, and pirating music off of there is now super easy, all you need is plugins that let you rip the audio from YouTube and you'll end up with around the levels of quality of piracy sites' shit anyway

It's literally not. Pick ten different artists off the top of your head and I will have all their discographies before you.

Have not come across this. Indie artists need Spotify more than anyone else in order to get their music out there. What artists are missing besides Joanna Newsom?

Pirating off Youtube sounds nightmarish. Imagine pirating all the songs in an album and then on first listen you realize there are gaps between otherwise gapless songs and trying to adjust the start and end times to get rid of it them.

Plus you can't pirate on the road. There have been countless times where I get musical whims in the car and I'm able to satisfy them immediately, like wanting to put every #1 hit ever on shuffle or listening to the fifth Ramones album. There is just no way the insane amount of convenience Spotify offers is not worth ten dollars.