Is taking a pay cut ever worth it...

Is taking a pay cut ever worth it? I have a job offer that pays less than my current job but it looks like it has more growth potential. Anybody ever do this?

Attached: eye pulling.jpg (736x730, 49K)

I did this.

They didn't give me a pay rise for an entire year, so I quit and got an immediately 25% payrise and surpassed my old salary.

Fucking boomer scum.

how much of a cut are we talking

Depends. Just make sure the new pay amount you'll make can provide for your daily/monthly standard of living, while also allowing you to reach your retirement goals.

I'm in construction and I know a good 3 or 4 people who left higher earning private companies in the past year to come over to civil service/public sector in my department. They said the long hours (50 hour weeks implied, generally 9-12 hrs a day, weren't worth the hard work. Pay wasn't even considerably higher, maybe 20%

Looking at 30% cut from my drone job at a big company to do more varied work at a startup.

Are you going to get equity? Otherwise even if you're right and it grows, what's in it for you?

>at a startup

ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOPE.

Startups are broke as fuck or if they are profit making they will usually be dominated by greedy shekel counting boomer scum. Avoid like the fucking plague. I made that mistake already.

Checked and agreed. Go for the sure thing.

So not only are you taking a pay cut, but the potential for them to lay you off due to "cost cuts" is substantially higher? Doesn't sound like growth potential to me, growth potential would be taking a job at a large corporation known for internal hiring or something to that effect imo.

Same here
First - 20% then up 30% over initial income. Now took 20% dip for 33% less work hours, 20% more vacation and comfy organisation.
I miss higher income, but I miss wagecucking less.

sometimes a correction is needed to start the next bull run

Attached: 1479760288555.jpg (800x800, 113K)

I meant more growth in terms of experience. I'm currently at a large corporation known for internal hiring, problem is they expect people at the lower levels to pay to educate themselves in order to be eligible for advancement. My thought is to see if I can start taking on projects at a smaller company in areas I'm interested in lieu of doing schooling. My current workplace has fairly rigidly defined roles so there's no real room to try out new things.

I'm encountering a similar problem at my company.

>be me
>really needed a job at the time
>hired on at a decent company, best one i've worked for yet but i'm young and only had shit jobs it isn't really that great comparatively
>they offer me $16.5 and the lower of two positions because I don't have as much experience as other candidates
>been working my ass off for nearly a year now
>easily produce more than everyone else consistently, and with less stuff being kicked back
>after 6 months ask about potential for being moved up into the more advanced position
>ok ill ask about it
>2 months, hear nothing
>ask again
>ok ill ask about it
>2 months
>still nothing
>ask HR about it since they are the next step up
>literally just says "ok ill ask [manager I already asked twice] about it
>doesn't respond to any of my emails after this

>they rehired an employee that used to work for them for 10 years
>ask him about how often they ever gave him any perks or raises
>says he only recieved 2 raises in those 10 years

jesus christ these retarded boomers I swear to god. If it was any other type of job I might understand but it's production work. There is no "lol have more experience!" the job either gets done or it doesn't. Why do they feel the need to sugar coat everything and try to lead me around? I see jobs I'm qualified for that pay more and I could probably get them fairly easily, tempted to just quit and look for more jobs. I would send out apps while working for these people but I would rather take a month or two and enjoy my summer with these wagie dollars I've been saving

sorry for the blog post

Attached: nyoop.png (86x65, 9K)

another thing, they basically eliminated the requirements of my position so now all of the requirements for the position I have been asking about is exactly the same, the only difference now is the pay and the title. They tried to sneak that in there as if nobody would care

yeah I got the "well you don't match the experience we need exactly so we will bring you in a X but look to raise you up to your current salary quicky before exceeding it"

Didn't get a pay rise in an entire year despite promises of being bumped up quarterly. Fucking boomer scum. I destroyed them on Glassdoor and convinced some others to quit to.

nice, I almost want to give notice tomorrow but I want to save up another $5-6K before I do. The beautiful part is they think I'm a good little wageslave that has no intentions of actually moving beyond this company. It's going to be hilarious to see those smug fuckers who don't even talk to me in their comfy offices realize the guy producing 25% of their revenue stream is leaving. They don't even give me the courtesy of being honest, at least my co-workers are pretty cool.

Sheeeet

What is the min in US to live comfortable? I just finished school and am going to make 60k with my car paid off and 20k on the bank account. Any advice where to go from here?

well one thing you could do is stop humble bragging and go do some cool shit with all that money.

60 is a poorfag salary according to Jow Forums. The average salary here is 100,000k or so I've been told

Nice just studied 100k

warren buffet might as well live in the ghetto to Jow Forums. if the cost of living where you are eats up 90% of that $60k then I suppose you would be a poorfag. It's all perspective I suppose, if you want advice though tell us what you have to spare after all your bills are done not including investments. Although you prob shouldn't take any advice here in the first place. But if you still have over $2k/mo left over congratulations you've basically made it. Don't let lifestyle creep catch up to you and wind up in a bunch of debt, find a cool hobby to do in your past time and enjoy life that's all there is to it.

I'm looking for real estate advice. I'm wondering if I should buy now or wait for another 2008.

I am living with my mom rent free. I just spend 1200 a month and the rest I save up.

how do you spend $1200 a month living with your mom, that's what a lot of people spend living on their own where I live. Anyway what you'll get for real estate advice around here is 80% of people telling you "just rent bro, housing will crash any day now". Whether or not it's true I have no idea. Also, what do you do for work? That is the largest determining factor of where you'll live

I work in agriculture let's just leave it at that. I'm pretty much stuck to California. Might look into Texas later on since houses there.

you're feeding us like 0 information here at a snails pace, jesus i have to wagecuck and only have 3 hours left fuck this im out.

go buy a house somewhere i don't fucking know. Invest your money, don't sweat the small stuff, don't fall for the same memes everyone else does like spending half your paycheck on bullshit.

How is everyone in this thread being offered high wages? I got a 3.5 GPA as a biology major and the most I ever got offered was 13.8 from Novartis. How are you guys getting 16 an hour offers and why are complaining about that

Attached: 97072259-1EB8-4BDF-9E3E-1DDD30C4CC4D.jpg (512x1024, 58K)

95% of Jow Forums are teens and 20-something that LIE.

I make 88k but I turned 30 so it doesn't count.

high school graduate here

I make 20hr

He's coping (and lying too).