/etm/ - EARTH TO MARS

Welcome to the Earth To Mars General.
This thread is dedicated to the discussion of creating a European Colony on Mars, not by direct funding, but through the commercial emigration scheme that will eventually come into play.

>NEW BFR Overview
youtube.com/watch?v=QCz3rzA18hA

>Educational Doc on Terraforming Mars:
youtube.com/watch?v=_50N5QoQoc4
>Space X Interplanetary Transport System:
youtube.com/watch?v=0qo78R_yYFA&t
>"Making Life Interplanetary" by Elon Musk:
youtube.com/watch?v=H7Uyfqi_TE8&t
>3 Companies Developing Game Changing Technologies
youtube.com/watch?v=8rYqXE51q24

The first Mars Colony is predicted to be established as early as 7 years from now. Very quickly the colony is going to expand, and it is becoming clear that it will not be long until commercial emigration comes in to play. This means the first large influx of settlers over the next 50 years are going to be families who can afford the ticket. Only people who can afford to move there will be able to.
lets face it - a strong European presence on Mars is the only way to truly secure our future.
>Plan:
/etm/ is a new general and a work in progress. Essentially, once the colonisation effort becomes commercial, we need to move there.

/etm/
>inb4 space is fake
kys
>inb4 muh economics
kys
>inb4 STOP LARPING
the short term goal of this general is to simply re-inspire each other on the subject of space exploration & colonisation. We hope to promote a new positive attitude towards life on Mars amongst those who value the future of the European peoples.
./The general will normally be posted once week.

Attached: mARSC37.jpg (640x1024, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kmFOBoy2MZ8&;;;;;
youtube.com/watch?v=S0dqd72ALkQ&;;;;;
youtube.com/watch?v=EcFsOF-ULL8
youtube.com/watch?v=tcTZvNLL0-w
youtube.com/watch?v=_u6Cwc8cbq8
mining.com/web/making-the-grade-understanding-exploration-results/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Remember why we fight.
This is definitely not about abandoning the problems we have here on Earth, we believe that the European peoples are not only strong enough to overcome those problems, but are able to dedicate themselves on multiple fronts, Mars is that other front.

>also,
I need to update the general a fair bit, but i've been busy lately - as always, the general continues to be a place on Jow Forums to talk about Mars and other space related topics.

>next thread
I normally post it every Saturday 10pm GMT. Tonight i've posted it slightly earlier.

Attached: Marsc3.jpg (398x517, 34K)

Gay, stop larping.

>Isaac Arthur - "Outward Bound - Colonising Mars"
youtube.com/watch?v=kmFOBoy2MZ8&;;;;;
>Isaac Arthur - Mars: From science fiction, to science fact
youtube.com/watch?v=S0dqd72ALkQ&;;;;;
>Challenges of Colonizing Mars!
youtube.com/watch?v=EcFsOF-ULL8

>for anyone who wants a quick profile on Mars
Equatorial Diameter: 6,792 km
Polar Diameter: 6,752 km
Mass: 6.42 x 10^23 kg (10.7% Earth)
Moons: 2 (Phobos & Deimos)
Orbit Distance: 227,943,824 km (1.52 AU)
Orbit Period: 687 days (1.9 years)
Surface Temperature: -153 to 20 °C
First Record: 2nd millennium BC
Recorded By: Egyptian astronomers

>There are signs of liquid water on Mars.
For years Mars has been known to have water in the form of ice. The first signs of trickling water are dark stripes or stains on crater wall and cliffs seen in satellite images. Due to Mars’ atmosphere this water would have to be salty to prevent it from freezing or vaporizing.

Attached: mars1.jpg (1024x576, 34K)

a few interesting words in regards to business opportunities on Mars
>Water Purification/Production
Besides oxygen, of course, the only thing that will be more important on Mars than food will be clean drinking water. Scientists believe that there is water on Mars; however, they are not sure if it’s drinkable. Consequently, if there is water on Mars, someone will need to purify and make it suitable for consumption. If there is no water on Mars, then some really smart people will figure out a cost-effective way to produce H2O from hydrogen and oxygen. Either way, water will be big business on Mars.
>Hospitality and Entertainment
Nobody likes to eat or stay at home all the time, so there will be a need for entertainment, virtual reality centers, hotels, and restaurants of all kinds. If tourism to Mars ever becomes popular (and I think it will,) the need for hospitality and entertainment providers will be huge. As with all other things on Mars, eating out or taking a vacation will probably be expensive. Therefore, for those savvy chefs, hoteliers, and producers that get in on the ground floor, there will absolutely be plenty of money to be made in these industries.
>Construction/Infrastructure
Depending on the environmental concerns and requirements settlers face when they arrive on Mars, it’s hard to tell how construction and infrastructure will need to be approached. One this is certain, though, and that is people will need places to live and work as well as other necessities such as bridges, walkways, and streets (or something similar to streets.)

In the beginning, governments or authorities may handle initial construction projects. Still, I don’t think it will be long thereafter that the private sector will be doing most of the building. Building homes, condos and whatever else on Mars will be expensive and possibly dangerous. Therefore, expect contractors — big and small — to earn good livings in this field.

Attached: Marsc23.jpg (1200x700, 716K)

The Case for Mars should be mandatory reading for everyone interested, and should be in the OP.

>another cut from a different article
there are many potential near-term business opportunities connected with human missions to Mars with significant potential markets for the associated technologies and capabilities required for creating a sustainable human presence on the surface of Mars. These include innovations in life support, agriculture, radiation shielding, energy, on-site resource utilization (aka living off the land), filtration, and many other necessary technologies and capabilities. Many of these technologies would not require the massive level of investment for development that large mission elements like heavy-lift rockets, crew vehicles, propulsion, and habitats require. With the proper stimulus and the necessary entrepreneurial innovators, these technologies could be developed in a competitive manner, and they also likely will have application to improving life on Earth and therefore also have a significant market on Earth—thus making them particularly attractive to entrepreneurs, small businesses, and others.

>more
Whether humans reach Mars through a government effort, a commercial model, or a combination of the two, there are remarkable opportunities that will accompany that journey. These opportunities are not only for discovery but also for innovators, entrepreneurs, and others to create new or better products that contribute to the sustainability of humans on Mars and also benefit people on the planet Earth.

Attached: Marsc18.png (1400x975, 2.16M)

>more
While cosmonauts and astronauts are learning valuable spacefaring skills on the International Space Station — and the U.S. is using virtual reality to train scientists — the majority of work to prepare for interplanetary expeditions is being done on Earth...and where best to field-test equipment and people for the journey to Mars but on some of the planet's most forbidding spots.
Seen from space, the Dhofar Desert is a flat, brown expanse. Few animals or plants survive in the desert expanses of the Arabian Peninsula, where temperatures can top 125 degrees Fahrenheit, or 51 degrees Celsius.
On the eastern edge of a seemingly endless dune is the Oman Mars Base: a giant 2.4-ton inflated habitat surrounded by shipping containers turned into labs and crew quarters. There are no airlocks. The desert's surface resembles Mars so much, it's hard to tell the difference, the types of geomorphology, all the structures, the salt domes, the riverbeds, the wadis, it parallels a lot of what we see on Mars.

Scientists from across the world sent ideas for experiments such as testing a new spacesuit called Aouda, the cutting-edge spacesuit, weighing about 50 kilograms (110 pounds), is called a "personal spaceship" because one can breathe, eat and do hard science inside it. The suit's visor displays maps, communications and sensor data. A blue piece of foam in front of the chin can be used to wipe your nose and mouth.
>Something to consider, for your or your children's future
there will be a huge demand for engineers, medical experts, management "officers" and any sort of cross between those and other fields. So people with that kind of background could secure themselves a bright future on Mars.

Attached: marsc38.jpg (1920x1080, 723K)

for good sake kek one of best post, second after beautiful girls

Ethnoplanet.

white planet???

soon

Attached: 00ab.png (1347x742, 1.23M)

Attached: but muh domes.png (1790x1262, 1.39M)

This is your brain on Star Trek.

SOON

Attached: IMG_20181006_222414.png (1080x1043, 687K)

What's the difference?

Whoever owns the asteroid belt will own the solar system. The mineral wealth in the Belt will be greater than on any planet.

First, leave Earth. Second, claim Mars. Third, claim the asteroid belt. If you can successfully do that and keep it, you win. You'll be rich and powerful beyond anything any human has ever seen.

Saturday night comfy mars/pol/ time

>rectangle
>dome

you know what he means

Up your communication skills, nigger.

Triangles are the strongest geometric primitive. You can't push on a side and have it turn into a diamond shape, like a square or rectangle can.
>what do?
You turn squares into triangles with cross corner braces. Domes are elegant and are the best load bearing structures. They come with their own problems, mostly during construction. There are generally 2 ways to build up a dome. You either build dome slices and erect the slices, or you can build up layers. Either way, you need to support the structure until it can support itself, just like building a bridge until you get the keystone in place. Rectangle structures generally have fewer different strut lengths. On Mars, it's unlikely you will need the additional load bearing capability. There's wind, but it's thin. Rectangles are fast to erect and repair. If you need aerodynamics, push up a berm of mars dirt.

We need to get our species off this planet.

mfw

Attached: sx2.png (1200x600, 995K)

bumping with comfy pics

Attached: Marsc14.jpg (1024x555, 56K)

Attached: spacec1.jpg (600x405, 141K)

Another movie for your OP:

>The Mars Underground
youtube.com/watch?v=tcTZvNLL0-w

Spacefags are scum. I can’t wait to watch the livestream of the first mars team dying.

Attached: 0306EF3F-9E90-42F2-B10A-C9843FCA5153.jpg (251x201, 19K)

Attached: Marsc20.png (1720x2250, 3M)

i'll check this out

What happens when the gravity difference fucks with your bones? Need to develop some sort of artificial gravity system.

Or change the bones.

>preserve the European people!
>create new fucked up race
Like the helghast but with health problems

maybe some drug can be developed to help strengthen bones ? i'm not sure, but muscle growth should be easily remedied with a strict weight lifting routine. in general, the martian gravity isn't as bad as zero g, and the bones of astronauts on the ISS recover once they return to earth if I remember correctly.

Yeah maybe for a few months in the space station.

We're talking about permanent settlement here

>What happens when the gravity difference fucks with your bones?
Low gravity is not micro-gravity.

>The Case for Mars
>written by a Jew
lmao, can white men do anything?

There are several approaches to bring tissue engineering to space applications. Currently they start R&D programs on the ISS.

So say children 4 generations in would not be changed by living their whole lives in that gravity?

bump

Thanks for your addition

>This Mars colony sponsored by GothicArchesGreenhouses.com
why do you post this in every etmg?

I doubt there's much research on the effects of abnormal gravity on growing children, but if it doesn't do anything significant to the second generation, it won't to the fourth, either. Genetic change doesn't happen even remotely that quickly.

The second generation would look almost identical to the fourth. They would have thinner bones and weaker muscles from doing less work via low-gravity, but it wouldn't cause genetic problems that get worse every generation.

Muscle issues could probably be dealt with through proper exercise, maybe a greater emphasis on Physical Education in school. I'm certainly not a doctor but I imagine if growing up in lower gravity results in thinner bones, it might be possible to counteract that with supplements or something.

Checked

won't happen.

Pack it up boys this faggots got it all figured out

Attached: 1536522724382.jpg (1920x933, 341K)

Yeah but that's my point. We don't really know yet and should be thinking of potential problems. There will obviously be technological improvements in this field so we should keep an eye out on companies that might make progress on this front.

Bump

Fuck off with this europeans only bullshit. I for one want some brothers on a trip to mars, gonna be boring as fuck without em. That said, Europe for europeans, build the wall.

I understood it pic related way.

Attached: European_populations.png (1600x1000, 489K)

this

Any colonisation of Mars will be very limited in scope.

Explain me why you need a colony on a shitty planet which has 10% of Earth's mass, the amount of resources enough to feed Chinese industry for 10 years due to that, inability to hold the atmosphere, shitty gravity, shitty sun exposure etc. And the top of the icing, how do you get Europeans to travel there when they are afraid of traveling to majority of quarters in their own cities because of all the lower class and brown people there?

Green niggers>brown niggers

Attached: espace2.jpg (796x532, 107K)

S PACE
P
A
C
E

FORCE
O
R
C
E

Attached: 1539997544861.png (1651x869, 173K)

And this is how the actual Moon/Mars/Ganymede/Whatever Dead Rock base would look like.

Attached: 23.jpg (670x445, 46K)

It would only really be an issue if you want to go back to earth, which is easily twice as far away as getting to Mars.

Well for a few years yeah
>Choosing the one with horns on it
god no spare us the "why is satan on my flag???" and "wtf is that a goat?" threads

soon

Attached: 1536449395918.jpg (3840x1634, 441K)

one more bump

Attached: 00.jpg (1425x797, 173K)

Comfy as fuck

>implying space and "mars" are real

Attached: 1533541121605.jpg (339x339, 22K)

It's closer to the asteroid belt. And the belt is where the riches are.

I seems that people don't get a certain thing about asteroids. When they say "precious metal-rich", actual percentage of those metals per ton of asteroid mass is up to 300 grams per ton of rock, or 20 dollars per kilogram. And the cost of kilogram of space truck do deliver them to Earth will be 200 dollars per kilogram EXTREMELY optimistically. I'm not even talking about mining iron from asteroid which will simply never going to happen.

quick reminder that breakaway civilization(s) already happened. enjoy the timeline

i think its concept art for Alien Isolation

Attached: 1536522970799.jpg (2160x1050, 618K)

wait until Africa/India and China deplete all our reserves because we didn't check them when we should have. The price for rare commodities will go up. And the cost to get them will go down as time passes.

>deplete all our reserves
Literally impossible. Currently commercial gold mines have 2 grams of gold per ton of rock. When these will get depleted and price will rise, 1 gram per ton will become profitable, then 0.1 gram, then mining gold from water. There is no point when mining shit from asteroids will beat conventional mining.

Who says we'd deliver them to Earth? Refine and use some on-site and ship the rest to Mars. Maybe ship leftovers to Earth, but screw them, right?

Also, don't forget that out past the snow line (and under the surface within the snow line) it's easy to mine ice, which gets you oxygen to breathe, water to drink, and fuel for chemical rockets.

And covered in additive material made up with martian regolith, see the ESA program for a lunar base
youtube.com/watch?v=_u6Cwc8cbq8

Attached: 1522386855239.jpg (3000x1788, 344K)

>When these will get depleted and price will rise
What does profit have to do with the actual amount? The profit isn't what is valuable here, it's the total amount.

>literally impossible
Tell me again when there are 3 billion chinks, 3 billion poos and 5 billion nogs all with developed infrastructure and industry thanks to us and the chinks

The amount rises per order of magnitude each time concentration goes down 10x. Say, Earth is literally 5% iron, it is unfeasible to completely deplete iron on Earth, if you manage to exhaust all that crust iron by that time you'll be able to mine iron from atmosphere by using regular car air filters. I.e. humans will die from toxic air by that time.

1) inflatable habitacle land on the moon
2) drones use 3D printing to add regolith dome
And this is the only thing we are going to see in our lifetime, with a small moon orbital station before that at L1 point. The whole next century will be about how to make these environment self-sustainable. There will never be a moon space elevator.

Attached: 1530406051470.jpg (634x423, 57K)

Also comfy

>2g Au per ton

That's not even commercially viable. Try 2 to 3 ounces (that's 30g to 60g) per ton.

>hollowing out the earth
at this point you think space reserves might be a viable option compared to global disasters that would come from that

im so excited for real life policenauts

>tfw no frozener bf

Attached: 1402195103075.jpg (480x299, 32K)

>That's not even commercially viable
Actually even 1g per ton is profitable. 300g per ton from asteroid is fantastic, but cost of transporting stuff will still render that unprofitable. Keep in mind that flotation process uses millions of cubic meters of water per month, and those have to hauled to mine or all that rock will have to be hauled to earth.

Attached: gold-mines-deposits-ranking-2012-infographic.jpg (890x3833, 1017K)

Terraforming Mars is fucking impossible trough since they lack the atmospheric pressure. Literally even a single solar flare is going to blow your atmosphere that you have worked on centuries away.

1g/ton? That's not even good for an open pit mine. You'd need double that to profit. My numbers are for deep earth mining.

300g/ton of gold would likely be profitable. But you'd make more with rare metals like platinum group stuff. And remember, getting it back to Mars or Earth is much easier than getting out there; the sun's gravity helps.

We only know that happens in 0g. We do not know anything about what happens between 0g and 1g.
It could be that the moon provides enough gravity for human life... it could also be that anything under .999g is a hostile environment. We just don't know.

The most important factor is how third world your government is and how willing it is to close its eyes on ecological damage which using entire rivers to sort out the gold will do. That's why China has most of rare-earth elements mines, not because it actually has most of them, but because it is willing to suffer the consequences of the mining process.
Also the asteroid with sufficiently large size will experience the same process Earth did, i.e all the heavy elements melting and collapsing towards the core, so you have to go through crust first, or search for "fragments of broken up larger bodies", if these actually exist and didn't collapsed their gold themselves yet.

Attached: image.png (644x379, 29K)

What is that source? Quora? And some dude who is an "investor"? Untrustworthy. Read some mining texts. Here, I googled for you.

mining.com/web/making-the-grade-understanding-exploration-results/

The belt will be the richest mineral deposits in the solar system, most likely (although Mercury and Io will likely be great spots for various things, as well). Not sure why you're arguing this. But whatever. Sign me up to go and break rocks in the Belt and I'll leave tomorrow.

And environment? No one gives a shit if a rock is bigger or smaller in the belt (with a couple of rare exceptions, like maybe Ceres and Vesta). Other than that, fuck it; break it, refine it, make dust and bank.

we only know what happens in 0 g over a very short 6 month trip to the space station
>we just don't know what the fuck will happen
Yeah that's my point. We need contingencies. Better to be able to match the Earth's gravity than using the whole colony as an experiment instead of a select few.