Jow Forums Solves 25 Year Old Mathematics Problem

theverge.com/2018/10/24/18019464/Jow Forums-user-anime-haruhi-math-mystery

>A Jow Forums poster may have solved part of a very tricky math problem that mathematicians have been working on for at least 25 years. The user was just trying to figure out the most efficient way to watch episodes of a nonlinear anime series, but the result has generated considerable interest from mathematicians around the world who have no way to identify the anonymous user.

>Yesterday, Robin Houston, a computer scientist and mathematician tweeted about the bizarre intersection of Jow Forums and mathematics, inadvertently setting off a wave of public interest in the story. Within hours of his tweet, his phone was vibrating constantly. “It started to go mad,” he says. “My phone started going crazy.”

>The Jow Forums part of this saga began on September 17th, 2011, when a poster posed a question: if you wanted to watch 14 episodes of the anime The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya in every possible order, what’s the shortest string of episodes you’d need to watch?

>An anonymous poster figured out one possible way to solve to the Jow Forums problem, satisfying the more mathematically inclined Haruhi fans. But in the process, they also helped puzzle out an issue that mathematicians have been working on since 1993. The anonymously authored proof (which was recently reposted on a Fandom wiki) is currently the most elegant solution to part of a mathematical problem involving something called superpermutations. It’s an enigma that goes well beyond anime.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 00.42.49.png (1106x618, 295K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAlbZGNfVb4
mathsci.wikia.com/wiki/The_Haruhi_Problem
warosu.org/sci/thread/S3751105#p3751197
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

jesus christ, so this is the super autism the nsa is funding

>we math naow

Cool I wanna see an algorithm

Well? What the fuck is it?

Which one of you was it?

Attached: A0EA3081-807C-4178-8487-D4525D50588C.jpg (338x305, 47K)

Killing jews and solving math problems. Can Jow Forums be stopped?

Weaponised autism

I've heard about the story but not the actual details. Of course it was anime.

It was me! I'm the genius.
Ask me anything

Fucking weebs

Just more evidence the average Jow Forums user has an IQ >180

Attached: 1502333282242.jpg (710x823, 90K)

It's an art.

Attached: Gate military girls.jpg (1280x720, 169K)

(we) are breaking the matrix
praise kek

Attached: 1539831273868.png (952x946, 372K)

This was like 8 years ago.

why are you such a faggot?

WE WUZ MATHEMATICIANS 'N' SHIET

I was born this way!
I'm a monster

B-b-but the media told me Jow Forums is filled with inbred neon nazi retard racists

what anime were you trying to watch

>14 episodes
>88 variations
>200,000 Jews in Germany
> circa 1944
>2.6 million Jews worldwide
> fapped to my ex 2 times
The answer is 6 gorillion

This was the work of /sci/ math undergrads a long time ago, the average Jow Forumsposter is illiterate.

Imagine if our autism was able to be organized into the form of a real country
>inb4 low test kekistan faggots crawl out

We have the best autists, ladies and gentlemen

It was me.

>who have no way to identify the anonymous user.
Are they trying to prep a situation where they can start to identify people on Jow Forums?

do doubt fbi/alphabet soup agencies have some method already since 2007/8

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAlbZGNfVb4
Cmon you fuck witts ,ask me a maths question

no one from pol for sure, this is a brainlet pit

Attached: 1539488439818.png (513x497, 427K)

I don't get it, what's the question they're trying to solve?
>"what’s the shortest string of episodes you’d need to watch?"
What does this mean? If you're watching them in every order, then you'll be watching the same number of episodes regardless of how you do it, or are they somehow combining the watchings into one gigantic watch that includes all permutations?

What year did you move to the UK?

For sure. I am suggesting that big media/those outside of authoritative channels wants to open up some sort of channel to be able to identify people without legal precedent

Can confirm, I would probably cure cancer and aids if i didn't spend all my time on anime.

It was /sci/ from like 2011, lad.

Attached: 1482384833828.jpg (639x639, 89K)

oh it's in the OP
still what a fucking retard haruhi is like the most entry level trash out there

Parents moved to uk in 1970 from Pakistan

Can confirm, that font is unforgettable

Damn that ass thicc

>A Jow Forums poster may have solved part of a very tricky math problem that mathematicians have been working on for at least 25 years. The user was just trying to figure out how to make official holocaust death records add up, but the result has generated considerable interest from mathematicians around the world who have no way to identify the anonymous user.

>Yesterday, Robin Houston, a computer scientist and mathematician tweeted about the bizarre intersection of Jow Forums and mathematics, inadvertently setting off a wave of public interest in the story. Within hours of his tweet, his phone was vibrating constantly. “It started to go mad,” he says. “My phone started going crazy.”

>The Jow Forums part of this saga began on September 17th, 2011, when a poster posed a question: if you had to cremate six gorillion jews using just a dozen or so ovens and make sure the ashes were never detected, how would you do it?

>An anonymous poster figured out one possible way to solve to the Jow Forums problem, satisfying the more mathematically inclined chosen people. But in the process, they also helped puzzle out an issue that mathematicians have been working on since 1942. The anonymously authored proof (which was recently reposted on Stormfront) is currently the most elegant solution to part of a mathematical problem involving something called superjewtations. It’s an enigma that goes well beyond the shoah.

Why are these idiots even paid.

Fuck man all these "scientists" are really something else

We mathematicians now

Attached: 19a665bdc1e492c2_0.png (592x650, 74K)

lets make a list of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. now lets make a list using those numbers, lets say a million times. Will I find every order of those 8 numbers in that list? maybe maybe not. If we do, is it the shortest list possible? If not what is?

Welcome, newfriend

>Not British
See just like that I believe you 45% more now. Was your dad a cabdriver or a shopkeep?

give them a lot of (you)s

/a/ - Autism and Manga.

Could this have been achieved with common core?

lmao that's what I thought too

This is pretty bad though. This just means there is a whole new wave of pretentious newfags that will jump onboard wanting to be "one of the smart cunts at Jow Forums"
Prepare you anuses

>user of a wiki

Attached: rossman.png (762x675, 753K)

Hello Israel, sorry to hear about the massacre of your tribe today. Hope you are doing well.

Attached: 893B8854-AE52-43AD-85BF-D46ACF007121.png (493x388, 356K)

>jew wants to associate with nazis now.

The question is how to maximize overlap. If it's 2 episodes doing
>1 2 1
Has both possible orders in 2 eps instead of having to do
>1 2 2 1

me, lol

So what? I came up with the HOL UP meme, I have added infinitely more to the world’s culture than some anime bullshit.

This is what I was thinking, that sounds like an actual math problem

This isn't the problem. It has nothing to do with random orderings of lists.

The only question is "Do you need to complete the series before starting a new permutation?" If yes, then the answer is N!. If no, then the answer is an actually difficult problem

Those types are so fucking neurotic though they’ll be off here and contemplating suicide the first time someone makes a good guess about their side profile or hairline

bosnia AND herzegovina? gee user why's your mom let you have TWO countries

Soon the world will know that it was mathematically impossible for the germans to have killed 6 grillion jews.

The answer is no, thats why my list had a million numbers and not just 8.

It's the official /sci/ board wiki ,obviously they posted it there.its a pretty good wiki check it out
>We're living in the era of Jow Forums archived posts being cited in science/math journals
Moot is proud

What ?
I never said that

Attached: snacks_tan_and_w_t__snacks_by_lily_lithium-d5o1vy1.jpg (900x675, 181K)

Robert Bowers. When he's not trying to save babies from being mutilated, he's an avid anime fan who discovers systems of equations in his free time.

>spic saying other people are illiterate

Attached: 2ec.png (327x316, 242K)

Won't go into details but I've made a few impacts as well, one became really big.

It's a strange feeling, but I'm glad that people have gotten a way to enjoy things and nobody tries to steal it and say it was their idea, we all just enjoy the anonymous process.

Remember when /tg/ worked out how many spiders you can fit inside a vagina?

This is like that to me, world shattering.

Nice job, man. Very nice.

i am spartacus

Miles of dick is the best.

Attached: miles.jpg (780x719, 102K)

This is easy. Just enumerate the ordering, then permutate that list.

A, B, C -->
A to B is 1, B to A is 2,
B to C is 3, C to B is 4,
A to C is 5, C to A is 6

So our list is {1,2,3,4,5,6}. Now find all permutations of this list. that will be the complete, minimum list of orderings of A,B,C.

We Matt Damon now

>Jow Forums helps society
>because anime
jesus santo!
you guys have the world at your hands

Undderated.

Also, I don't know why anyone's surprised by this. Average IQ here is probably 50 points above the general population give or take the odd nazzzeeLARPER.

It could get rather silly sometimes, just the way I like it.

How many mathematical problems has reddit solved, bitches?

Attached: 3a2.jpg (680x464, 58K)

Oh wait

> /a/
> one of /a/'s fucking stupid otaku painfests

Of course.

That isn't the problem you fucking brainlette.

Oh shit that one was out of date

Attached: 43d.jpg (1280x1535, 614K)

Yikes, try and re-read the problem.

his phone was literally shaking

I suspect there's a larger concentration of high IQ individuals on this site (perhaps not this board) than most other communities online. Personally I've had two formal IQ tests in my life and scored around 140 both times.

Another thing I find interesting is that when you consider what an 'education' is, say at college/university, it amounts to little more than reading, research, and listening. Essentially it's the intake of new information.

I'd argue that many people on this site, regardless of formal education (even those with none beyond high school) end up with more intake of information than people with 6-8+ years of university study. In other words the average tard on here is relatively better educated than someone with a PhD.

twas I. I admit it.

Attached: tryforced.jpg (500x499, 73K)

We glow in the dark niggers now

Attached: 1540490371972.png (1144x888, 409K)

They hate us, but they can't live without us.

Attached: 1540658931040m.jpg (1024x1024, 234K)

Yes it is. I wasn't done. Put the permutations from that post into columns, and find the orthogonal array, that would be your minimum set.

Attached: dudeweedmao.jpg (253x293, 22K)

This is tough.

user, "An efficient lower bound algorithm for minimal length superpermutations", Jow Forums, /sci/3730074 (go to Archive faggot).

can i use that on my curriculum?

sick digits senpai

the worst part is I don't even understand the question

Attached: pepe aju am i disabled.png (638x359, 247K)

heres an example using 123
This chain 123121321 contains all of the following
This is every combination of 123. Can you do the same thing with 1234? Can you make your list as small as possible?

mathsci.wikia.com/wiki/The_Haruhi_Problem

This is the most accessible explanation, just remember it's all about watching a shitty anime.

kek thought that was his ass too.

Jow Forums got me into one of the top three universities for law in the UK.

When I first came here, I had really bad school marks and just always assumed I was a retard. Then one day someone ran a thread on /b/ that piqued my interest past all the shitposting of logical fallacies - you had to ID the fallacy in the post above, then do one of your own for the next poster to ID, etc. That really got me interested so I started referring to the wiki any time there was a big argument about something to identify what the fallacy was someone was using (deliberately or inadvertently). That plus the fact everyone here's a faggot that never backs down from an argument and winning is everything so you have to argue, argue, argue to win and use every dirty trick in the book.

Anyway, I figured maybe I wasn't so dumb after all and did a year of correspondence courses. Because of the whole atheism thing, I chose arts and religion, and I got distinctions for all. Then I thought maybe I'll go to university and decided on law but my school marks were too low so I had to go back to adult college. Did that for a year and scored 45 out of 45 distinctions on the modules. That then led to applying for my uni which wanted me to sit the LNAT. I scored 36 out of 42 (so top 1% for the year). Essay was on "why is law a moral issue?" and I basically just wrote exactly what I would on Jow Forums in reply to some argumentative cunt. Two weeks later I got the offer. Now I'm in my final year - firsts for year one and two, and I've been offered a place at a magic circle firm starting end summer next year.

I credit all of this to this shithole. I

Attached: dntlethimrun.jpg (564x598, 100K)

how many autisms is too many autism?

where is the archive?

That's fine. Newfags are annoying, but they're here forever, and will either swallow the redpill, or an hero. Any medium that brings more young to us is good. This board of peace will save them from the (((school system)))

warosu.org/sci/thread/S3751105#p3751197

I don't want any attention, because I'm humble as fuck. But it was me.

Wait, what, what's hard about this? How can the list be a variable length if there's only a set number of possibilities?

I should probably read this first

>tfw anime leads mankind into the next age of enlightenment

Attached: 1415165293392.jpg (467x433, 41K)

haruhi a shit
A SHIT