Army

Going off to basic training in a few weeks. Any advice on how to keep my mind occupied during the first few weeks of suck? Prefer responses from Veterans, but any advice is helpful

Attached: armedpepe.jpg (480x480, 36K)

How old are You? Significant others at home? There are some one size fits all advise but for military I always felt, and tried to give, life situation based advice.

Marrying my girl before I ship off. About to be 18. I'm not necessarily worried about the physical strain (I lift, and run every day), just more worried about the disconnect between me and my girl

It's often thought that the separation would just have to be endured through boot camp and AIT and then it's all downhill from there. That's not going to be the case. I assume go are going to Bragg, if not Italy. Both are extremely high tempo units, with constant trying for, deploying, and recovering from. I want you to prep right now that separations will be the norm, and are for the strong to endure

MOS?

Not going to Bragg, which is great because I've been living here for 90% of my life. I've got basic at fort Sill, then AIT at Huachuca. Then I've got language school at DLI. She'll be able to live with me then, but it's gonna suck up until then

Sorry I thought you wrote you and are going airborne. Either way, lower enlisted life is hell on even the best of relationships. Even if you arrive at a unit not deploying soon, you are the new private, the fucking new guy FNG. It's going to be tough with you just establishing yourself to your unit as a capable soldier, one that the guys can trust. That needs to be your focus.

35M, Human Intelligence Collector

I went to Huachuca for AIT in the 90's. It's a very academic focus there and washout are a weekly occurrence. Literally every week a list of alternate MOS where available to pick due to academic or clearance failures. AMA about Huachuca or Intel I'll answer best I can

I understand. Thanks for the advice

Do you know anything about the HUMIT AIT?

My best friend in Iraq was one. We were a multi discipline MI unit focusing on EPW operations. In AIT as far as I remember you guys are kept pretty much apart from the other MOS AIT companies. Lots of civilian instructors and also a lot of reclass soldiers. Looked very interesting. You are going to have the time of your life there, I'm saying this as an former 18 yo who did AIT there. Just be prepared for a VERY vigorous AIT, both academic and factors concerning your clearance. For almost ANY reason it can be pulled, and you will find yourself a cook somewhere. I would watch it happen weekly

Not concerned about the academic portion. I've been patiently waiting for a challenge. I'm ready for that part. Now, what exactly do you mean when it comes to my clearance?

nobody cares

you made this post because you think you are john stamos now, but literally not one fucking person gives a fuck, and nobody will ever give a fuck.

i hope you die in basic training you retarded slave of israel

If no one cares, why did people respond? I just want to know about my AIT and what to expect my dood

The barracks where built brand new when I was there, so they are 21 years old ish, still brand new by army standards. Two man rooms, refrige in rooms. Share bathroom with other 2 man room. Chow hall is really good. PT is awesome because you are doing it in the beautiful Arizona desert, awesome views. Which makes me remember, TRAIN FOR HIGH ELEVATION NOW! Even coming out of basic in Huachuca you are high in mountains, no air.

I got back from Jackson last fall. Just realize that you can do it brain dead. They literally tell you what to do. You don't have to think. Just do. By no means is it physically tough. (unless your combat MOS) just focus on the stuff that is hard... Try to do it the best you can. Think about how you are going to pass a ruck march. If you have any fears you are probably going to have to face them at some point... I literally shake and cry when I get around needles. And boy did they ever stick me with needles. By the time I was done I could watch them draw blood and I was kinda fascinated. (they drew blood a few times for medical mix-up) any specific questions? I'm happy to answer!

You need to receive and maintain a top secret clearance for your MOS. There are far too many clearance horror stories for me to list here, but don't take it for granted. Any character issues, discipline, really anything they can pull it. You are not even allowed in the school house without a TS clearsnce.

Don’t mean to thread jack, but I could really use some input from military folks.

I have depression. But it doesn’t present itself as sadness. I just feel incredibly lethargic and lazy.
Thing is, I feel great if I get momentum. If I keep my living space clean, get my work done on time, and work out consistently, I feel normal.

Would I still be stupid to try and enlist? Will getting my ass handed to me/ having routine and effort forced into day to day life give me the momentum I need?
The last thing I want is to be a detriment.

I'm solid with altitude. Worked all summer last year in the Appalachian mountains. I've hiked in the rockies before, so I won't have much of a problem with that. Thanks a lot though

Are you diagnosed with MDD? On meds? Hospitalized? Or just sad?

That cleared that up. Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it

Diagnosed at 15. Took the tester dose of Prozac for about 60 days, decided meds weren’t for me.
Haven’t been medicated since.

If you're not on meds, haven't been officially diagnosed, and just need motivation, JOIN. Don't mark it on your pre-screen if it ain't official

There's still time to back out. Don't believe the lies

If you can check with recruiter about clearance status. You would only have an interim clearance, which lets you train and get MOSq and go to DLI. It's takes a year or so to get granted a full TS/SCI with a SSBI that you will be getting. You might find yourself held over in MEPS, reception, or even AIT for a few weeks or even a month waiting for clearance go. It is extremely common and happens all the time. Take it in stride if you get held over. I did in reception. It was the worst time in the army, to include Iraq. It's part of the suck.

What lies?

I second this. If you are looking for that was kicking and are otherwise capable, just do it.

Yeah, my best friend is going through RASP right now. He swears up and down that reception was worse lol

It was an official diagnosis. I don’t think it would behoove me to lie at MEPS.

I’m thinking ahead to if I can somehow get a waiver (I’m taking steps to make a stronger case for myself).

That you can't get out before leaving for basic
Or
WMDS
Or
Terrorist
Or
Freedom

Reception fucking blows. I did it for a month due to clearance backlog. Totally not my fault. Even drill Sgt there felt bad for me at the end and would treat me semi human.

I don't want to get out. I'm joining because I'm not going anywhere in life without this. I've fucked around in school, so college is a no-go with my GPA. Fuck going straight into the workforce. This is what's best for me

Notice how it's only in completely anonymous message boards where people talk shit about the military to this extent. There has NEVER been a better time to join. Free college, vets status membership has many privileges, solid friends and stories for life. List goes on and on. Fuck the haters.

Fucking right on. And, I don't like cheeto man Trump as much as the next guy, but he's been trying to increase benefits for soldiers, so I'm all about that.

Thanks again for the advice man. Have a good one

You too. Best of luck, you are off on life's best adventure, enjoy every minute of it.

>Being this delusional
22 vets a day kill themselves
Join the club

22 vets a day kill themselves because they come back to a society of people like you.

People like what?
Ones that don't want war?
Ones that don't want their fellow humans to suffer?
Ones that think the resources can be spent better elsewhere?

Dude, you know for a fact that's not true. No one shits on veterans these days because everyone just blames the government for everything and the private contractor assholes make servicemen look like saints.

Vets kill themselves because people who haven't been through what they've been through just really, truly, physically cannot really understand what it's like even if they want to and have the best of intentions.

That's what I meant

>implying an enlisted grunt has anything to do with any of that

Attached: facepalm.jpg (300x300, 13K)

End your life faggot.

If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem

the solution being?

Nothing like a completely un-nuanced and reductive statement to show off your smarts

Don't join the military. Force the rich to fight their own wars dumbass

Who says I'm joining with a combat MOS? The military is only 2% infantry, but I'm sure you knew that. Most people in the military never see a second of combat, much less fight a war.

Dont worry Jody will fuck her right and good and keep her occupied.

>about to be 18
GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT

Nice recruiter talking point. You can't fool me

Fuck off dickhead

Nah, I'm gucci

You're fucken delusional mate, you know that?

Fucken hell, fuck off cunt. It ain't a recruiting point, it's a fact

Because the military never does any peacekeeping or humanitarian work eh?

Check yourself! You think they're gonna teach you how to shoot a machine gun cause they want to get rid of bullets and got nothing better to do?

No, sweetie they don't. You think they carry food for the hungry on those WARships?
Humanitarian missions are code for protecting interested resources, usually not humans

Basic is not hard at all if you need something to keep your mind off of basic you probably shouldn't be joining

You are fucken delusional

Nope, just experienced

>soilders are taught to never make excuses, ignore external factors, serve the greater good, and never surrender

>former soldier is making excuses for why veterans kill themselves by blaming their weakness on other people and external factors

Surely the armed forces taught you more than this... it's like anything, some people love it, some people hate it... some have good experiences and some do not. Depends on if you're deployed or not and depends on what you see. a lot of doctors and former lawyers commit suicide each day too but there are a lot of doctors and lawyers who love their job. I've never been in the army and I can see this and realize it, and yet you can't? come on babe.