So I've been an atheists for around 9 months now and I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing...

So I've been an atheists for around 9 months now and I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing. Like what if there is a god and I'm going to hell because I don't believe. I'm not agnostic but then again I do feel sometimes like I'm going to go to hell. But even if there is a god there's soo many religions I wouldn't know which is the right one. What the hell should I do?

Attached: Trigglypuff-777x437.jpg (777x437, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NFPtjXFfczM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't fall for the Pascal's Wager meme.

Asking infinite, unprovable, untestable 'what if' questions will do nothing productive.

What if there is a God but only atheists go to heaven. You can't know.

If there is a just god then doing right by your own standards should be good enough.
If there is an unjust god then there is nothing you can do about it.
What if there are multiple gods and they punish anyone who believes in monotheism?
What if there is a god and he punishes anyone who doesn't sacrifice goats to him regularly?

To actively be atheist and hold on to that label is something I'll never understand. Like you absolutely know for a FACT that there is nothing else to existence than just being born and then living for like 80 years probably and then dying and turning into worm food and that's all there is to it.

I think that's as much faith as knowing for a fact that God is the Muslim god or the Christian god or the Jewish god or the Hindu god or whatever other religion.

To me the only thing that makes any sense is going with the assumption that there might be some kind of existence after death or there maybe isn't but there's just no way of knowing that for a fact so there's no point in walking around trying to take a stance on religions.

Attached: ReallyMakesYouThink.jpg (1024x576, 78K)

I know for a fact that gods that define themselves as supernatural or as possessing supernatural abilities do not exist by definition of supernatural being outside of nature whose definition is everything that exists.

I know for a fact there is no mechanism in nature that hints at a kind of existence after death. So there's no point in giving any religion merit that purports to have an "afterlife".

What remaining use is there for religion proposing a natural god with no afterlife?

>I know for a fact there is no mechanism in nature that hints at a kind of existence after death.

Yeah but we also historically only just crawled out of the stone age just a few moments ago, our understanding of the natural world and the universe and existence as a whole is still infantile. There's shit like the Multiverse theory or the Simulation hypothesis and no one really knows what dark matter or black holes and quantum mechanics are also all over the place, etc.

It’s a struggle, can’t shake off all the indoctrination easily when it has been cultivated in you since youth.

I’d just tell you to work with whatever you feel most comfortable with. Practicing Cristianity properly is a giant fucking chore and most people leave it at saying they’re christian and doing nothing else.

You should look to live your life and make good progress in it (finances, kids, etc)... bother yourself with religion whenever you feel ready and no sooner.

>no one really knows
This is the argument from ignorance fallacy. You can't just throw out a bunch of theories you don't understand in order to imply that they might provide the mechanism by which life transitions to an afterlife. For one, they don't, for two it's a dishonest approach.

Use the scientific method, find the mechanism or show that an afterlife exists. For now I see no reason to adjust my evidence backed stance.

>What if there are multiple gods and they punish anyone who believes in monotheism?
I like this the most

makes life interesting

Stop referring to Religions as Theories

faggot

>Use the scientific method

That doesn't work for everything m8.

It literally does for everything that exists.

youtube.com/watch?v=NFPtjXFfczM

Trying finding yourself a gf using the scientific method

You are correct that we cannot say conclusiveely that the afterlife exists or not, but the burden of proof is on those who say there IS an afterlife. You do not need to provide evidence against something if there is no proof of it to start with. Being HOPEFUL is not proof.

If God is just, I will go to heaven. If God is unjust, I don't want to got to heaven.

That's been pretty well proven and documented already. Ask any PUA.

Yeah but my bigger point was that living one's life and building one's identity around that is a fairly silly thing to do that I don't really understand.

Being atheist isn't a belief or a culture really, all it is is a rejection of beliefs and culture.

Typically I find that people who form their sense of self around the rejection of something rather than the acceptance of something tend to be uppity cunts for the most part

>Ask any PUA.

kek

I hope you're not being serious. A bunch of metrosexual gymbros who tell fat manlet virgins with no social skills to JUST BE CONFIDENT BRO as long as they pay them like 300$ for a seminar. The modern snake oil salesmen

Totally serious. They have a method and it has proven results. Unlike any afterlife or god I've ever heard of. If it's a problem to you that gods and afterlifes are literally less than the efforts of "a bunch of metrosexual gymbros", that's your problem not mine.

Way I see it is you're already not following all the other religions so you have no idea if you'd go their version of hell and be punished for not following them, so whats one more? What makes that one religion you choose more likely than the others? Nothing.

From reading all these replies I'm now sure God doesn't exist

>They have a method and it has proven results.

How much did you pay for the seminar?

It doesn't apply to quantum physics my man. Observation affects the results.

>People forming their sense of self around any single belief

Found the problem.

>religion is bad and that is my entire personality

You don't seem to understand what observation is and how it works. On that scale it is interaction, so of course it affects results. But it does so predictably, so the method still applies.

nothing, the book is online for free bro.

>it doesn't work for quantum physics
>but we know the results
I wonder how we could have documented these results if there was no way to use the scientific method.
Do you think maybe removing variables and documenting the before state and the after state to develop a cause and effect relationship?
If quantum physics didn't have any way to document and record results then they would just be a bunch of old men smacking pans together.

>implying heaven can only exist by a god-ruler

Consider the multiverse. There are infinite universes, some have same rules, others have different rules. So infinitely different laws. Is it not possible that spiritual beings (gods, angels, demons) exist? Maybe they're just trans dimensional aliens that have transcended physical bodies. If all these situations are possible, you have no idea if this universe contains those spiritual beings. Everything is possible, but every possibility isn't likely. Until you know the whole of knowledge in this universe will you know the truth. The Source of all these universes is the real God, the eternal Substance, not the emotional Judaic God that atheists tend to focus on. Though you don't know which religion (even non-existent religions) is true, you can improve your chances of getting into heaven by being a good person. Besides, there's good benefits in this life from being good, anyway.

Attached: IMG_3070.jpg (313x359, 46K)

You don't get what they mean by observation. They mean that to detect the path of a particle, you have to interact with it, and that affects it. Not that your brain does.

Sounds like youre agnostic

I'd like to think any god wouldn't be petty enough to send you to eternal suffering because you didn't go to some human constructed institution once a week.
I'd like to think as long as your a good person, it doesn't matter what you believed

But then again if there is a god he created humans and that's pretty fucked up

Christian here etc ...
God won't punish just because you really can't find any reason to believe in Him . Also , it's wrong to base your faith on fear of hell , want of heaven .

The best thing to do is to keep your mind open , and continue your spiritual search . When you die if it turns out to be true , you can say you at least searched all your life .

Does your consciousness exist?