When someone doesn't take an active interest in reading...

When someone doesn't take an active interest in reading, meaning they think most books are stuffy and old world novels--nothing of substance or relevance to their lives, how do you take this? I consume most of my media now through books, I don't have a whole lot of access to television so I read all the time, and I am getting affronted with a stereotyping, as if reading is archaic.

There are books for everyone, some about drug use and sex, some about crime and drama. I don't see what the big deal is.

Attached: 1495014-mylene-jampanoi-assiste-au-lancement-de-opengraph_1200-2.jpg (1200x630, 38K)

Is anyone giving you shit for reading? Yes? Stop giving a shit.

I'm being stereotyped. It's different from being outright insulted.

Most people don't take an active interest in trying to learn anything, they just carry on with their lives without really thinking.

Don't take it personally.

Yeah I guess. Thanks.

Attached: 0d6989d1aa25c3021f86ef1b76fb25e3.jpg (1280x1330, 565K)

Stuff can have no meaning or relevance to my life while having plenty for yours and my mention of this opinion should have no bearing on yours if you aren't a narcissist.

who cares. want advice?

I'd asked for some, but I guess you didn't read the post.

Let's be honest here: Do people "stereotype" you for no reason? Do they hunt you down while you're quietly reading a book and mock/harass you about it? Or do you go around telling everyone about your reading habits, and then get upset when they're not impressed by your choice of leisure activity?

As with many things, it's all how you present it. You mention "I don't have a whole lot of access to television," which is fine, but are you saying it to people like "oh, I don't watch TV, I READ," instead?

There is a certain level of pretentiousness that comes from someone who exclusively reads books, as if they're trying to say that they're better than others. But there's nothing inherently wrong with reading at all.

Many of us don't have time (or make time, more appropriately) for reading. It's very hard for me to sit down and dedicate my focus to a book, despite really enjoying the written word. But right now I'm shitposting, paying bills, and watching TV all at once, which somehow feels like a better use of my time than sitting quietly with a book.

not gonna lie when i see someone not obviously a student toting a book around i give an internal "this guy"

there are books for everyone but not everyone is a book person (a person who reads books in public)

>When someone doesn't take an active interest in reading, meaning they think most books are stuffy and old world novels--nothing of substance or relevance to their lives, how do you take this?

I take it as another failure of the media. When even retarded hillbillies can notice that most shit published is garbage written by autistic soyboys you know there is a problem. This is what is killing news, hollywood and even literature.

Solution: Make it illegal to hire soyboys for anything at all. Start publishing stuff written by actual people and not hollywood elite rapists.

Well yeah, I'm often the victim of many kinds of stereotyping. I'm tall, I'm black, I like video games. I didn't think reading would have been added to the list, but there it is. Stereotyping is taking a personal archetype or personality and taking it to the absolute extreme. Such that, all black dudes like fried chicken, all Asian girls have fat asses or puffy vulvas, etc.

So when I talk about stereotyping, especially in context to a reader, I mean to say the person is characterized as a hermit or ignorant of world affairs. Possibly ill informed, reluctant to enter debate or socially inept.

How can reading make you stereotyped? And even if someone does, why would you give a shit? It's like you're smoking crack out of a hobos ass, you have a nice hobby you enjoy, so stop giving a fuck.

Still, don't be a cunt about it. Think how chicks that ride horses won't shut up.

Not like you smoking*, sorry user

>how do you take this
that's a thinly vieled attempt to make this thread technically an advice thread so you can talk about how much you read books.

which is better than a lot of the shit on here, though.

Stereotyping is a way to refine and include multiple worldviews into a single, narrow train of thought. You can stereotype anything really.

I don't see how you think there are very few stereotypes for reading. I get it almost every day here. At work, I get it all the time, and I would have gotten it a lot at school too. Sometimes I bring a book to a relatively normal locale like an arcade or something, and it's a problem.

Attached: reader-stereotypes.jpg (700x986, 277K)

Yet I still don't see why would you pay them any mind.
I'm from Europe, it's true that there aren't many people who read in public, but it's never an issue, nor it should be. I see people every now and then read when having coffee, on the bus, station etc.

Has anyone confronted you about it?

I don't understand why you argue on people's replies if you are indeed looking for advice.

Go straight to the point please. What's your problem, in words a humble labrador like me can understand ?

Oh, well it's because it happens a lot. So you run the risk of being socially malnourished if you interpret a repeated event like that as "ignorance borne out of boredom."

So I'm asking how should I deal with the problem, instead of putting myself at a disadvantage.

Who exactly puts you in a disadvantage? If it's your friends, do some more shit together, interact. Have a drink, see what they do. If you don't want to hang with people who live on insta/fb/twitter/shitter then just don't. I deleted my fb and never had anything else.

If it's people you don't know or don't care about just do your thing. In my experience, conforming won't get you friends nor respect, staying yourself will.

Internally, you can risk becoming a part of the problem if you don't deal with it. It's like if people say you have an anger management problem, and you ignore it, saying it's untrue, while the complaints mount up. It does no one any good to ignore accusations like that. All it does it make people feel less secure around you, and ruins your internal acumen.

Though I'll admit, arcade isn't the best place to read, but maybe you just got used to it.

From everything I've seen, it just seems you're overly sensitive tbqh.

That doesn't really help if you're identifying a major declaration with subjective correspondence.

You don't make sense. You can't have a problem with reading like you do with anger.

You should take the amounts of "ask for adv" and "what's your problem" as a record there isn't anything that should cause you any trouble in what you are describing.

It's exactly like if you said if you said you like dressing in yellow. And that isn't a popular choice and you can get stereotyped. OK, and then ? What happens if you take that unpopular choice ?

>i honestly don't know what the big deal is
>proceeds to find several big deals for every reply

Obviously not here for advice

I'm asking you for advice, and you uh don't internalize what I'm saying because you're consistently validating my points by asking me to clarify them while simultaneously saying you don't understand what I mean. So I'm er, confused? Maybe a little underwhelmed over whether or not you're actually trying to give me advice or if you're "withholding" it?

You seem pretty clear on what I mean now, but my meaning is still hazy? Maybe less forward than it ought to be? I don't really understand what you intended to achieve by telling me I'm not here for advice, when I made the thread in the first place.

Let's just say usually people come here for serious trouble : anger issues, abuse, suicidal thoughts, sex, relationships etc. etc. if you just need to deal with how people may possibly think of you eventually because you read by choice, uh, ok, i do have an advice for you :

Grow a pair and stop whining for bullshit. Also, stop argue replies.

you're not much of a speaker but whatever.

I came here for advice, and you won't give it because I don't know. Maybe you're sad or upset or something I can't tell. I do a lot of sales jobs so I have to be mindful of how I seem to other people. Whether that is important to you doesn't affect me, but I do think it is important to gather and gain awareness from those around you to better your environment.

not that poster, but fuck off and reported.

who said that asian girls have fat asses

You're the one insulting me. What are you reporting me for? Are you hoping to get me banned for making yourself out to be a victim?

It's a affectation widely used in many groups. Hispanic girls have huge boobs, Black and Asian women have huge butts. Before the lolicon thing it was generally stereotypical to hit on plus-size girls with Hello Kitty apparel.

yea dude you didn't ask for advice in this thread. re-read your original post.

"how do you take it when people don't like to read"

come on you're not this dumb

You're being pedantic because you literally like making fun of me.

He's right though. You're either a very sensitive person, in which case you should learn to man up, I'm sure you'll find plenty of books on the matter; or you're just here to brag about the fact that you read so much people actually give you shit for it, which I've never heard that happen in real life by the way. Either way you need to stop blaming the world and fix your issues because you sound pathetic.

How does being courageous defer to any sort of solution when talking about how to get people to stop treating me like a piece of shit?

well i think this post pretty much displays the glaring personality flaw everyone else in this thread is trying to point out

That's very telling, but what is, exactly the type of personality you're explicating?

Because the problem lies with the way it all affects you. Maybe you've spent so much time reading books that you don't realize people will give you shit no matter what you do in your life. End of the day you can choose to cry about it or simply not care and move on.

i never learned how to read therefore books are hard for me to access based on the fact that i am completely illiterate

Yeah but how does becoming Superman fix this problem?

This is the weakest bait I've seen in a while, kys OP

well i'd say there are two parts to who you are that are obvious to everyone else but not you

1. you seem really insecure about your intelligence/self centered. i can gather this from
a. your really obnoxious, unnecessarily verbose voice. the ideas being tossed around in this conversation really don't require the diction you're bringing to the table, to the point where it hinders communication of core ideas. you would rather communicate that you have a wide vocabulary than exchange ideas efficiently.
b. you think that everyone is attacking you because you read, when in reality there's no way that this is happening to you to the extent you think it is. do you think every time you bring a book into a room that everyone in the room is like, "oh here's that tall black nerd who plays videogames who likes to read a lot. i don't like to read and therefore we are going to ostracize him with a lot of focused effort." the truth is no one gives a shit if anyone reads. it's such a basic thing that it's like caring if someone eats chinese food often, or if someone played sports in high school. you think people care about you and your behaviors a lot more than it occurs in reality.

>How does being courageous deer to any sort of solution when talking about how to get people to stop treating me like a piece of shit?

It seems like you don't understand that if you were courageous then it wouldn't be a problem to begin with. Not only that, but people respect people who don't act persecuted all of the time for literally no reason, which is what you are doing here.

Everyone IS attacking me. You just gave me a huge repartee on my character. How am I supposed to validate your concern without calling it what it is?

"books are full of lies"
-johnnote, t(i)ny chat DOT com SLASH room SLASH r9kdeathcult 2018

>how am i supposed to take advice

>Literally buttblasted black dude can't take advice, better call him a mindless namefaggot

this is either bait or i swear you must be crying as you type

It's not bait. He's clearly giving me ad hominem advice and expecting it to carry weight despite the fact that he hasn't actually addressed any of the problems I'd asked out.

How does any of his advice help me with my stereotyping problem? Where does it fit in or shatter the illusions brought about by ignorant or lazy people?

>all Asian girls have fat asses
>tfw no fat ass asian gf

>ad hominem advice

I just came back to the thread to see if you're still a whiny little bitch.

For fucks sake, you'd think a guy that brags about reading actually knows whst constructive criticism is.

I didn't realize I was talking to a Times Magazine critic. Please do tell me more about my enigmatic approach to intellectualism.

I gave this thread a glance over and it would appear to me that your problem is you take legitimately anything way too personally. People probably rib on you because you're kind of a sanctimonious scold from where we're standing, and it's way better to rib on you and ruin your mood than to let you think your ivory tower point-downs have made any of us think twice about calling your shit, or anything.

Maybe just let it be, man. Everyone gets judged and stereotyped, and everyone judges and stereotypes. If you like reading then read; if you read to get other people to like and approve of you, then maybe go into sports or working out as those are more empirically respected and offer less to be ribbed on (although people will probably still successfully roast you on shit you should be proud of).

Like imagine if all our forefathers got bent out of shape because people around them weren't as literate and they just got all bummed that these people had a differing opinion of them.

It seems that the problem is that you want to be the victim perpetually, and anything that it self-driven and removes you from that role just doesn't make your cut because it suggests you shouldn't be waiting for some heroic riposte moment, or some daring soul to swoop in and throw these people the bantz.

It's magical that you care, really, and then act so superior in this thread like you're not here on the premise of your hurt feelings at, presumably, a legal age to drink.

That's great, I'll toughen up. I'm not much of a softie in retrospect.

How about some advice?

you don't deserve the generosity shown by

That's weird.

Sounds like you're just really touchy and bitchy

Whatever my G.

Keep it gangster!

Who cares, if you enjoy reading books then read books.

I wish I had the discipline to read books more often.

I've recently read an easy book--the Virgin Suicides--which I found to be incredibly sad. I've been in a very sad mood for the last two days. Last night, I couldn't sleep. I woke up at 4:00 AM to try to listen to music to ease my mind so that I could sleep. I woke up at 12:00.

I'm also reading "The Plague," which I find to be pretty boring so far, but I'll get through it.

I read the Sorrows of Young Wether the other day, it was really sad.

I would assume that you did not read the whole thing in a day.

However I must ask:
How do I improve my reading speed?

I remember counting how fast I read a year ago and I found that I read a little below 20 pages an hour when reading 1984.

When reading War and Peace I read 16 pages an hour, however, I'm not sure how accurate this is because it seems very slow.

With easier books, such as the Virgin Suicides, I noticed that I could read at an appropriate speed; however, with these other books I find it hard to stay focused and constantly think of other things.

How do you prevent this? Is it just practice? I find it difficult to focus sometimes when someone is sitting next to me and talking. I'd love if I would be able to read while someone next to me is talking because I've never been able to do it.

Attached: ancapkeked.jpg (480x465, 41K)

I have this book, Triple Your Reading Speed?

It's pretty big and fluffy, but it provides some good stuff in it. Exercises too. I read most of it, but it's still got some more stuff it can teach me.

I read it sparingly since I bought it and I haven't really had a problem speed reading since. One of the main things you should do when reading is decide what you're getting into. Always check when a chapter begins and ends, see how long the book is, so you can calculate how fast you have to read to understand the material. That way you can use your better judgement to understand stuff, rather than just skimming over words, you can actually just read the sentences and your mind will fill in the blanks easily. Conversely for a novel or something, you might want to purloin rather than skim? Because the nature of a novel is dramatic, and things can change fast. So you would want to read all of the text, and not just some.

Attached: reading.jpg (640x480, 55K)

Just because you read doesn't mean you're smarter, more thoughtful or a better human being. Most books are the literary equivalent of Jersey Shore.

I guess so?

It doesn't feel like I'm condescending to anyone, does it?

Anyways, do you read philosophy or at least books by philosophers?

So far, I've only read Ayn Rand and am currently reading Albert Camus. i've gained a few incites from Ayn Rand but I feel as if her ideology is not one that I share. Do you identify yourself with a single philosophy?

Attached: beyondbravenewworld.png (761x110, 26K)

Whenever someone says they don't read I instantly assume they were the kid in high school who was a cocky shit up until the moment they got called on to read aloud and stuttered their way through easy sentences and four letter words.

Most people these days don't read for leisure or fun.