Should I stay vegan

Hello Jow Forums. I have been vegan for the past two years. Lately, I have been questioning whether or not this is the diet and lifestyle for me going forward. Don't get me wrong, I'm very healthy with my vegan diet and I do not like the unethical treatment of animals. However, there is a side of me that is both hedonistic and nihilistic. I am at a crossroads, if you will. Should I go with the angel on my shoulder that compels me to avoid imposing suffering of any animal if possible, regardless of sentience? Or should I take the hand of the devil and eat delicious pizza and burgers, knowing that my morality is futile and the apocalypse is likely upon us?

I am going to leave it up to you. Should I remain vegan or quit my soyboy ways? I am leaving my fate in your hands, Jow Forums. Do me well. I will consider this poll final once the thread is locked.

strawpoll.me/15464848

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

I was vegan for two years and I quit. It's just not worth the inconvenience and factory farms are unstoppable.

Get off 4 Chan Blair

You're a mentally ill tranny

Attached: 571de3e.jpg (3024x4032, 1.57M)

My name is Blair and you gave me a bloody good fright for about half a second there.

Who is Blair?

Show us your dick you fake vegan conservashit

I'm not a transgender, I'm a straight male. I may be mentally ill, never been diagnosed though. What does this have to do with my post?

I'm not that Blair. That's the other fellow.

Ask the poster who brought it up.

So far, the votes are overwhelmingly in favor of me quitting veganism. There is a part of me that looks forward to this. Veganism is certainly restrictive. Vegan pizza is nowhere near as good.

I'd be interested in any arguments for or against, however. Are there really no vegans on Jow Forums that can put up a compelling argument? Maybe it really is a meme diet and I've been wasting my time over the past few years. Damn.

Attached: 1521817018392.gif (200x200, 91K)

Life feeds on life. In all cases. I deeply love and care about animals, but I am highly, highly carnivorous. Been losing tons of weight and getting healthier after learning how great for you the keto diet is.

We are the only animal capable of moral agency. Take some pride in the fact that you care, but do not elevate food to the level of family so lightly.

It's okay. Just keep caring, but keep learning, and enjoy some steak.

I bet if I had been vegan and transitioned out, I would want to take it slow. Interested to know how you'll approach it.

I voted yes because:

- you've already established a super healthy diet and don't want to risk falling off the bandwagon by satiating yourself with pizza, etc.
- morality IS NOT futile. This is an edgy thing to say in a first world country but you'd probably say differently if you lived anywhere shittier. Things have meaning and vegan your actions lead to less pain the the world, end of story.

At most make some exceptions and become a vegetarian on the rare occasion. But you've built a good habit and should probably keep it going.

It either makes you feel good or it doesn't

If you wanted to avoid suffering of any animals,
you should go out and kill every animals that doesn't eat meat, because it would be cruel for those poor rabbits to die to a wolf/fox.
Else, get off your high horse, you idiot.

I meant killing animals that eat meats.
Also, you idiots act like you're not hurting animals and your moral up your ass shits.
But had you ever wondered where you vegetables come from?
That's right, a fucking farm.
Where they destroy miles and miles wide of animal habitats just so they can grow foods for you.
If you can stop putting your head deep in your ass, that would be great.
Else, stop buying any vegetables, stop living in houses, stop using any cars, or electrics, just go live in a jungle and eat in a jungle. Then when there's some wolf or bear is hungry for some meal, kindly lay down and let them eat you.
Then you can tell people how much of a fucking moral person you are.
Until then, stop the pretentious bullshit you are doing, you fucking disgusts everyone.

rent free

>Take some pride in the fact that you care, but do not elevate food to the level of family so lightly.
I am interested in prying your brain on this particular moral consideration, user. How would you describe the distinction between how you treat various animals, human or not? Do you think it is irrational to extend the same moral consideration toward non-human animals as you would humans, and why?

> I bet if I had been vegan and transitioned out, I would want to take it slow. Interested to know how you'll approach it.
In this scenario, I will slowly reintroduce animal products into my diet in such a way that is not a shock to my digestive system. I would begin by remaining mostly vegan but not limiting myself to a strictly plant-based diet. Over time I would adopt a more omnivorous diet where I am not drawing a significant distinction between plant and animal sources of protein, iron etc. In other words, I would be less of a picky eater than I am compelled to be at this current moment.

- morality IS NOT futile. This is an edgy thing to say in a first world country but you'd probably say differently if you lived anywhere shittier. Things have meaning and vegan your actions lead to less pain the the world, end of story.
This argument has some pull, but honestly it does feel futile trying to be a vegan. We're such a small percentage of the population and it seems like the majority of people don't give a fuck, could never be swayed and actually double down when you try to bring up animal ethics. Further, I have come to understand that my reliance on technology is inherently anti-vegan as rare earth minerals cause toxins to spill into the environment, killing tons of wildlife. There is also the issue of animals being killed through non-animal agriculture (rodents ground up by farming equipment, etc.)

Now, I'm not saying that ethics is a zero sum game but in the grand scheme of things, how much am I really contributing? Have you considered this?

All this moral faggotry over killing animals makes me laugh.

Fuck animals man. Do you think a lion or a wolf would hesitate a single second before killing you for food? Would ants ponder over the morality of stirring the flesh from your bones? Does a chimp even care for the insects he eats?

NO. This empathy that you have is keeping you away from nature, not closer. Embrace that shit.

There is a real difference between killing an animal and being willfully ignorant of the means by which your food is produced. Factory farming is not just the killing of animals. It is the genetic reprogramming and pervasive torture of entire species for the marginal benefit of human beings. This way of agriculture has existed for less than 200 years. It's new technology and it's unsustainable and harmful in its effects on the environment.

Animal rights and the rights of all sentient life are this generation's moral equivalent to the right to own individuals as property. We will look back with shame at these practices in a similar way.

look at him go

growing crops is harmful to the environment as well.
You staying alive means you are taking away resources from other animals already.
When are you gonna off yourself?

Just find a humane farm. Like where I live, I can walk over to my man Jeff, and know exactly what the conditions of his farm are, happily buy some beef, and know which of the cows I'm going to be eating. No factories, no 6 hour truck rides nearly dying of dehydration, and little to no suffering.

>how much am I really contributing?
As much as one person could contribute, whether everyone was a vegan or it was just you.
I'm a vegetarian, and I don't really care what you do, but your understanding on morality sounds like it could come off of a page of a 16 year old rick and morty fan's journal. Read actual philosophy before you get too deep into the rabbit hole. Nihilism is a good thing to have an understanding of, but it certainly shouldn't be the end goal but something you use to reach more productive ideologies

The point would be to diminish the impact an individual has on the environment not claim that they're not impacting it at all.
If you can't understand the difference between slaughtering animals for food and vegetables I think you're too deep into willful ignorance to be helped

>defend factory farming
>because lions and wolves would eat people

>animals without capability to feel empathy and to seek alternative food sources eat meat so clearly ones which do have the capability should eat meat too!

I wonder why meat eaters use the dumbest fucking arguments you could think of. You know there is nothing objectively wrong about saying
>I want to eat meat because I lack empathy
yet you always go to such retarded extremes that can't be backed up

I've always thought that everyone needs to take a break from activism every now and then. I wouldn't break from my veganism, but I have taken a seat from other things for my own well being. Someone who doesn't understand this is someone who is naive or will eventually tear themselves apart with the weight of expectations.

Why bother saying anything good about being vegan? Nobody wants to listen.

This is called black and white thinking. You pretend there's no in between, you're either eating meat three times a day or literally killing yourself to save the Earth. (Honestly, listen to yourself.) You could just admit that you don't care about animals and be honest about it, but that would sound too much like giving veganism the moral ground so you remove all nuance from the equation without even asking about what a vegan' s actual opinions are. It's kind of cute but mostly manipulative, transparent and pathetic.

What about just being vegetarian? Eggs are pretty nutricious and you won't be restricting so much what you ingest or worrying about if bread is vegan and stuff