What's it like going to college when you're older...

what's it like going to college when you're older? I'm turning 28 this year and I've basically wasted the last 10 years of my life, trying to figure out what to do now

Attached: 1516761298579.png (1024x1024, 1.77M)

>wasted time, wasted thread

I shed a lonely tear for you, OP.

>what's it like going to college when you're older
Not bad. At 28 you can still pass as a college kid or a grad student.
It's not like you're 48
Go back and bang the hot chicks with daddy issues.

>bang the hot chicks with daddy issues.
Man, I was a grad student and was married at the time.
One of the biggest mistakes I made in my life was turning down a hot blonde that came on to me.
I told her i couldn't because I was married and she looked me straight in the eye and said "I don't care" and smiled.
I still turned her down because I was a "good guy" and naturally found out later my wife was cheating on me.
Damn I was stupid.

Shitty. It’s annoying as fuck being in class with a bunch of 18 year olds. I tried college when I was 25 and hated it. I’m 27 now and I’m going back in August. I’m not looking forward to it at all... thankfully I’m only taking 1 class

Pros:
>you have new appreciation for studying
>you want to sit in front row so you aren't distracted, and all the material makes sense, homework seems like playtime compared to adult work responsibilities, and you're excited about the material
>as an adult you know how to email and communicate with other adults, so it's easier to have a working relationship with your teacher to make sure you get the best grade possible

Cons
>your peers are kids that don't give a fuck about class, they'll show up late, ask stupid questions, irritate study environment
>god forbid you have to do a group project, you're better off just doing 100% of it and letting them throw their names on it rather than expect any of them to show up to study sessions or submit their project sections on time
>you pay for tuition with your own money that you earned by working a real job, and it sucks

Overall you'll do better now than you did in your late teens, just don't expect to go in to make friends, they may happen but you're there to get shit done. I'm not paying $8000 a semester to hear becca bitch about amanda next to me while jamal has his wakanda playlist at full blast on his headphones that might as well be speakers because it fills the whole classroom, and joshua just put your $199 chromebook in your backpack okay you don't need to load up the digital copy of the text book in the middle of class it's calculus ffs just listen to the goddamn teacher, it's hard enough to understand his paki accent without your tktktktk all over the place and none of you fucks bitch and moan about the midterm exam and test due today, it was in the syllabus since day one you don't have to argue with Mr. Radesh just because he didn't remind you of it every 5 minutes. Fuck.

have you considered just working and getting your degree online part-time?

that's what most adults do to stop themselves from being misplaced inbetween kiddos.

What about when you’re assigned group projects with immature 18 year old kids that just want to talk about alcohol and pussy?

No, not stupid. You were better than most. The fact that most can’t be better is stupid

As an 18 year old who is in college, we do not all do that. Fuck off.

>none of you fucks bitch and moan about the midterm exam and test due today, it was in the syllabus since day one you don't have to argue with Mr. Radesh just because he didn't remind you of it every 5 minutes. Fuck.

nevermind, this is very accurate

Attached: 28378506_10155689254329215_1292364219314459450_n.jpg (792x960, 68K)

dude this is fucking dead center.

You can't get real degrees online, only placeholder jobs like HR and Psychology

This. So fucking much this. I wound up tutoring in the school for a little extra cash and a productive way to keep up on my basic algebra skills. Holy fuck 18 year olds are retarded children, and looking back, I was no exception. However, tutoring college kids was the first time I understood the anger of old people.

You did the right thing, my man.

see

I graduated at 24 so slightly older than everyone else in my classes- I worked full time and have no student loans. When I was taking science classes in community college, a lot of my classmates were older- mostly 30s, but some even older. I don't think that stupid "your mom goes to college" mindset applies anymore, especially since a lot of people make career changes etc later in life. You'll have the benefit of being past the party phase- I was going to college parties in high school (lol) so I was already over it when I started, that I can comment on- and you'll probably get a lot of recognition and preference from your professor.

Hey OP I'm 33 and graduating with a bachelor's degree in May!
is mostly right but is also seems angry. It really depends on what degree you're getting. Core classes are stupid and filled with stupid people, but once you get into your specialized shit you usually prune out a lot of the idiots. Some of my classes were tiny and I got to spend time with a handful of like-minded people and a like-minded teacher. It was a great experience.
One of my professors (who was teaching a kind of boring class) was thrilled that I paid attention and knew how to do the work. She jokingly threatened that she would make me help teach the rest of the class. Now I'm using her as a reference to get a job. That kind of shit wouldn't have happened if I was taking the same class at 18.

How did you do it? Did you stop working to go to college? Did you take out student loans?

Yeah, he got cucked instead. What a smart thing to stay loyal in this age where women get offered dicks from all angles.

I quit my full time job and had a part time job for most of it. I did take out student loans but I won't have to start paying them back until 6 months after I graduate.
I moved back in with my dad who desperately needed help at home, and I've helped take care of his mom, too. That's a big part of why I could go back to school.

Wow this really puts a new perspective on going back to school for me.
I'm gonna be 28 in a few months and I always feel it's too late to go back into school because of my age.

I see. Was it worth it? How did you figure out what you wanted to do?

I went to grad school starting when I was 30. Honestly, I don't know that it's affected my experience that much. You may as well go for it; better late than never.

>Was it worth it?
Not sure yet, it feels like it was because I filled in a lot of gaps in my education. I also enjoyed it. I picked a school/degree where I got some unique hands on experience, too. I do regret not taking full advantage of what the school had to offer (namely the gym).
>How did you figure out what you wanted to do?
Volunteering and interning, which I only found because of postings on a school billboard. Turns out I love working outside despite being a fat pale nerd. I did wildlife rehab and zookeeping after I got my 2 year degree, might go back into zookeeping now, or might get into USDA/BLM/Fish & Wildlife/Parks Service, whatever. Lots and lots of options because of school.

Did you do the self-discovery internships and volunteering before or during college?

I have friends who went to uni, either to retrain or for the first time, as mature students, and I work with a guy who retrained after having a career too. I don't think any of them had a more negative experience, and all of them think that they were more focused on their studies which led to a better outcome.

Did a little of both while I finished up my 2 year degree, and then moved on to interning full time until I got a job.
If I had lived closer to campus while completing my 4 year I would have definitely done some while I was taking classes. One of my professors is constantly emailing about opportunities, another always talks about new postings every Monday before he starts lecturing. School is a great resource for that shit if you have at least a rough idea of what you're looking for or what you would like to try.

Is college going to help you find good jobs? Choose a degree carefully. And no, it’s not awkward, you don’t have to make friends anyway. Do internships while in college, make real friends at work. That’s what I’d do. Don’t be hedonistic in college, you will just become a worse person. You need to actually focus on building your career brick by brick. That’ll make you a better person. Don’t think about ‘enjoying life’ yet.

I went at 26, and felt no different other than a little weird by all the young girlsinterested in me. I have a young face and look right out of high school, so I felt uncomfortable will how people perceived me. Also this

Gl OP.
I’m 23 and dropped out this past fall. I hated the social aspect of being on your own and having to make your own friends group. Harder when I’m a low key misanthropists who thinks most young people (more so in big groups) are fake. Assuming you’re going for science or math related degrees, really commit to doing the work. I let doubt in my abilities and discouragement from seeing others make it seems easy get to me.
Now that I’ve been out and working for a while I’ve really opened my mind to the world. Education really is THE ONLY way to achieve a better quality of life. Studying fucking sucks but it’s only a few years of your life in return for financial security. I’ll be rooting for you user

Attached: E31EDB3A-88F4-4C19-A0A7-B4D4B88892E5.jpg (768x1024, 112K)

Literally no different. Unless you're trying to waste your time going to parties.