Hello everyone

Hello everyone

I'm a 20 y/o girl from Honduras. I have one year left to graduate from college. I have been working (to pay my studies) and it made me realize how hard it is to have and grow up in a personal and a work related way.
I'll like to study abroad after I graduate and I'm thinking on Geneva, Switzerland however I'm not sure if my grades will be affect my application?
I have been having a low score due to the work and I'm now thinking how hard it could be for me to study there.
If any one of you have experience anything when it comes to international applications, scores and more, let me know.

Attached: images.jpg (224x224, 9K)

That depends on a lot of things, but usually you need to have good grades to participate in exchange programs or even get a place at unis of your choice. You should try to find some relevant info about the particular uni you're interested in, see how hard is it to get in, what grades do you need and so on

>study abroad after I graduate
Uh. Most people do a semester abroad during university studies.
>I'm not sure if my grades will be affect my application?
For grad school? Uh.

Have you thought about grad studies at Universidad de El Salvador? José Gustavo Guerrero went there.

I don't like El Salvador, every one from Central America knows how similar this countries really are plus it won't make an impact on my CV

I think you are being sarcastic but oh, well, TY for replying at least

They teach English in Honduras or are you just some high born aristocrat?

Only in cities

Are you cute? Have you thought about going to Europe or America on some travel visa and just trying to dig your claws into some guy? Many guys have Latin fever.

Don't you think that's wrong?

I'm a nihilist, so that question seems meaningless to me. I would think that what I just suggested... is a fantasy shared by at least 90% of the women in your country. I mean, if I were you, I wouldn't want to live in Honduras. Just go find yourself a sugar daddy, señorita, and stop worrying about school.

I love giving good advice on /adv ;)

¿De qué ciudad eres?

Surely there's some department of your college that can offer you concrete advice on questions like this?

Switzerland is one of the most expensive places in the world to live, just saying.

>not liking El Salvador
Why so hateful? Salvadorians are literally the best Central Americans.

Switzerland is extremely expensive. Unless you are from a rich family kiss that dream goodbye. The tuition for foreigners is extremely high and so are the living costs, both of which you would have to prove you could pay for even before you could get your student visa.

beat me to it

Of how many CHF are we talking? I was thinking on saving at least €20,000 to apply and well, about staying there, I was thinking on maybe doing part time jobs

I can't comment on Switzerland but I know that in the U.S., universities charge foreigners double the price that residents pay. If our tuition is 20 thousand a year (a very average amount), then you will be paying close to 40.... I can only speculate that European universities do the same thing. I considered studying abroad (UK or Spain) for a semester or a year, and the fees were insane, again, double my home university tuition plus food, lodging, and insurance.

Studying in first world countries is expensive. Unless you can get scholarships for being super smart, or athletic, then you won't be able to do it. I'm just being honest about it.

I'm half Mexican descent. Some of my cousins in Mexico went to Universidad de las Américas Puebla, and they had a very good experience. They met plenty of international and high society people there. Their parents were well-off by Mexican standards, and they had a sports scholarship. Otherwise, the tuition there is like 10-15 thousand USD. So even a top university in Mexico is "expensive".

I admire that you want to leave your country of Honduras to get an experience elsewhere. But you yourself said, that your grades weren't that great. And since you didn't mention that you came from a family with money, then also just closes the door on your dream. If

€20,000 would be probably enough to cover the living costs and qualify you for a visa.

as for school costs, it depends on what school you are going to. I knew someone who went to the Graduate Institute in Geneva, which is private, and it cost something like $28,000 ($8,000 tuition + $20,000 living costs) in all just for one year. I'm guessing a public university would have a much lower tuition rate.

also I'm not sure what you mean by studying there. you said after you graduate from your current college, so are you talking about getting a master's degree? a phd? those usually take more than one year, meaning you would have to save up even more money. I'm sorry but if you're struggling to pay for university in Honduras then wanting to go to Switzerland is going to be a hurdle. I can't think of a more expensive country than Switzerland to study in.

I study at a private university here in Honduras and well, yes, I struggled to pay it because my mom and dad bought this luxury house for us to have when "they die". I feel bad they are thinking on us without them and they placed my at a public uni (which was bad but it is considered a lot here because everyone is in there) however I was able to realize that I was doing what they wanted and I decided to change, I'm doing a BA in Finances and I was thinking on doing a Master in Economics at Geneva Univ (which is public). I have been visiting their site a lot (I guess to motivate me or because I really want to have this experience) and I found the cost is CHF 500 (less than €500) however I do understand living there is expensive, I was thinking on working 2 or 3 years here after my grad and just save and buy euros and then apply and leave for those two years.

I know you are being honest and so am I, live here is very sad and I used to be basic about it however I realized everything after my experience with psychedelic, I can now see how we live in a poor country even though I live in the luxury side, ppl are really closed and the other side of the city is awful, bad people and well, I have been working 9 hrs everyday since 3 years ago to study and I found myself depressed, very depressed, I'm basically tired of everything and I can wait to experience something else, I really wish I could go there... maybe I should think of a less expensive countrt

I mean it's possible. Your degree will be valid but I'm not sure how your low scores will affect your chances. Their website says it last for 3 semesters, so you would need to prove you can support yourself during that period.

I think you're making an error here. You're experiencing depression, and lack of enthusiasm for living in your country. So you think that experiencing a different atmosphere will change everything -- well, it might not. Depression follows you around wherever you go. I'm the American user. Whenever I go visit relatives in a different area of the country, I still feel depressed. When I go down to Mexico to visit my other relatives, despite being in a vastly different place, I still feel depressed. I just want to emphasize to you, that your problems follow you everywhere. Ever heard of the expression of having a dark cloud hanging up above you?

Well anyway, personally, I think working 2-3 years just to maybe have the opportunity to go do more education (which is more work) in Switzerland is pretty insane. I wouldn't do it. But I'm not you. Do you even need more education? That's another thing. If you don't need it, then just save up enough to travel for a bit without commitments.

I'm the other user and I agree. It doesn't sound like OP has a very compelling reason to study in Switzerland. You don't have to study in the most expensive country or even study at all to "experience something else".