Minoring in Computer Science worth it?

I've got a year left of college doing part time classes, and I was thinking about minoring in Computer Science.

Is it worth it? Can I get good jobs with that minor?

Attached: 1415168774740.jpg (1920x1080, 1.24M)

It depends more on your major, but the answer is a tentative yes.

Companies hire degreeless pajit's that only know JavaScript, basically what I'm saying is if you want a job coding learn a language and get good at it.

I'm a geology major

Well that's convenient, I'm learning JavaScript right now and it's really fun and easy for me. Could I just put that on my transcript that I'm good at JavaScript?

Minors are, as the name implies, minor. The are of minor importance and very rarely impact hiring decisions. Really the only ones I’d give credit for as a hiring partner would be language minors. CS is a little special in that you can claim it works a little like a cert, but it’s not even that good in most cases. A CS minor will not matter past your first job, if it even matters for that. At best, it’ll influence what duties you’re assigned within your first job.

I seriously doubt they hire them at US salaries. Maybe if they’re shipping coding jobs overseas for pennies, then I could see that. But OP isn’t getting a coding job period with a CS minor, no matter how prestigious his university’s CS program is.

What job can you get with a CS minor then? That's what I'm drawing a blank on. Not expecting a full on coding job that makes 60k a year

And to be clear, I have a CS minor from UIUC. It has mattered zilch in my career. The training was valuable in my own pursuits, but it didn’t do shit for me in terms of the job hunt,

Generally scripting or coding proficiency is worth more on a resume than a minor anymore, so if you're minoring in CS and really getting into a language than that could be worth it on its own.

As I said above, it might influence what you do at your job, like if coding might be involved on the side (like if you work with data in geology work), but it won’t get you a developer job, and it won’t increase your opportunities as a geologist, or really anything.

I see your point. Thank you sincerely for the advice.

All this said OP, if you’re close to the minor, go for it. Just don’t stay another semester or something silly.

It's not like I would stay longer for it. I'm getting a Geographical Information Systems Certificate part time next year, and the idea would be to take the 4 classes needed for me to get the minor.

But it's sounding like having the minor wouldn't get me much, and just getting good at coding with Javascript might be a nice thing to have down the road.

This guy is essentially right. The stuff you learn in the minor is what’s valuable, not the minor itself. You can do things with coding skill, but the minor won’t get you a job.

What could I do with just being proficient with a coding skill? So far, I'm getting pretty comfortable with JavaScript.

Four classes? Fuck, go for it. Is some of the curriculum you might avoid by just learning to code better “algorithms” or “discrete math” or “data structures”? Those were all part of the CS minor at UIUC, and despite their limited applicability to most simple coding projects, I found those theoretical courses to really, really influence my thinking down the line.

I honestly don’t know, I didn’t really keep up with coding after undergrad. I mostly did shit with Python and regexes to parse data or something, but never did it for pay.

What I would need are the following:

Data Structures
Computer Architecture I
Sets and Logic
Programming Fundamentals II

Coding is a skill that you don't need a degree in to get hired.

Things like engineering, nursing, and hard sciences, your employer wants to see that your qualified.

Things like music, coding, english, drama, IT, your employer wants to see portfolios and references

If I were you, I'd minor in business, and just learn java and C on the side, since teaching yourself a minor like business is worthless in the real world

I dunno if Geology and a minor in Business makes any sense, especially since I'm graduating soon with a G.I.S Certificate

The structures and sets/logic courses are the ones I’m talking about. Sets/logic would be discrete math. Actually, it’s funny, that course came back to save me years later when I wanted to go to law school. I killed the logic games section of the LSAT because of that class.

I want to assume that a business major is pretty good if you want to do some kind of management as you climb up the geology hierarchy, no? or if you ever want to hop over and do accounting.

Regardless, a Geo major + Business minor + impressive coding BITHUB is better than a Geo Major + Coding Minor because you NEED, and I stress this, as someone who is friends with hiring managers for companies that make software, you N E E D an impressive portfolio

At the end of the day, you will have to have a github or something with your projects, the only thing left is whether your minor is in the same subject as your portfolio, or is in yet another marketable skill

Attached: P6PP6yr.jpg (1280x800, 240K)

I certainly want to advance in the future with a geology career, but the logistics for me are that I can't get a minor in business. Too many classes at my university. But I definitely see your point about management skills