Anxiety

I have bad anxiety and I was wondering if I should look into getting a prescription for any medication that could help. Is this a good idea? If so what should I avoid or know beforehand? My anxiety isn't constant btw it's usually manageable but out of nowhere I get hit with extreme panic/anxiety attacks.

Attached: UPJ00940.jpg (288x216, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Walking-Meditation-Peace-Every-Endless/dp/1591794730/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523972716&sr=8-1&keywords=Walking Meditation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think you'd be better off addressing some of the issues that cause your anxiety first. It isn't easy, and it never really goes away, but overcoming it is much better for you than masking it.

OP here, I definitely agree but often the triggers for the attacks are unavoidable and even if I were to address them as I've tried to they don't go away.

Same user. And the attacks come.over anything so its not really somthing you can adress.... you cant fix ALLL your tiny problems...
So i guess im lurking as i was considering medication as well...

OP here, when you get your attacks, what do you experience? I often get a sinking feeling in my chest and stomach and depending on the severity sometimes I dry heave or even puke and I am unable to speak, I just get a mental block and shut down.

You have a defeatist attitude. You have to force it, fight it, and wrangle it. I never said it was easy. If you just take pills you'll become a zombie that bottles all of that shit up until it explodes into something far worse.

Meditate and visit a shrink. Throwing pills at issues doesn't work

So basically what's happening but I get pills to make it easier? Joking but I've heard good things about anti-anxiety medications from counselors but at the same time I've also been told it doesn't work for everybody. I'm just wondering if the pursuit of medication is even worth it or if I should just completely avoid it but if so why?

I've begun practicing mediation recently and I feel that it helps with negative emotions at the time but the therapeutic effect doesn't last long afterwards.

Medication should never be taken stand alone without any other form of help to work towards a solution to your problems, in this case anxiety.

Your anxiety is caused by something and you can learn how to handle anxiety but taking pills does not serve as a solution or handling.

Likely if it is bad enough you combine it with therapy and take it temporary until you know how to deal with it better. My friend has pills against depression that she got while having therapy and she couldn't handle alcohol anymore, she was happier yes and didn't notice anything bad until she was told to lower her dose over time till she no longer needed it. She was confronted with the depression feeling that had never really left though she could deal with it better. But she was very dependent on the drugs mentally and physically and has been building off her meds slowly for months now.

If I were to get medication I would most likely only use it temporarily in conjunction with counseling/therapy or when the need arises during particularly stressing times when mindfulness or meditation techniques don't prove useful enough

It's not supposed to last like a tattoo. Do it every day. If you find yourself in a situation that triggers your anxiety, meditate.

Can highly recommend this book: amazon.com/Walking-Meditation-Peace-Every-Endless/dp/1591794730/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523972716&sr=8-1&keywords=Walking Meditation

Read up on Dr. Harry Barry and CBT. No need to thank me.

Fuck off you ignorant nigger, 99% of the time medication is a temporary aid to compliment therapy. You don't know what you're talking about and you are going to hurt someone with shitty advice. KYS.

Don’t listen to these “do-work”, “life is suffering”, psychedelic wanking, Jordan Peterson praising faggots, OP.

YES get to the root of the issue and WORK on your anxiety.

NO don’t be a black and white thinker like these guys and go full-on
>NO PILLS! NO SYNTHETICS! VACCINES CAUSE AUTISM! Smoke weed, man. All you need is trees and a good trip every now and then.

It’s 2018, take advantage of it and stop thinking in absolutes like these pot heads.

Not how xanax worked for me, it actually helped me open up and get help.

Have you tried learning any techniques to deal with anxiety? I have anxiety pretty bad sometimes. It can be debilitating. I tried pills and in some ways it helped, but it was basically like a tranquilizer that could make me fall asleep

Can you explain a little more? How long did this take?

Yes I've practiced mindfulness in my normal day and if I have time and I'm more alone I practice deeper meditation

You have not read the thread, not even a tiny bit. Nobody mentioned weed even once except you, you accuse everyone of being a pot head, hate on a clinical psychiatrist that has a very wide understand of mental conditions and can help people but at the very end you have the audacity to stop thinking in absolutes, while you yourself are an ignorant, uneducated and uninformed idiot.

Congratz you are officially the retard of the day.

Actually the first time I used it.
I was having regular panic attacks, like every other day, so my family already knew I had some issues. Xanax helped me calm down and think rationally, allowing me to try and seek out a long term solution.

Damn that's nice user. I'm not opposed to long term solutions to deal with my anxiety without medication but at this point in time I think it could help me.

I will try this as well. I have anxiety just by talking on the phone. I sweat like a pig and mumble and forget the dumbest things possible and it makes myself look like the biggest idiot when I know that I'm not. And I have zero problems typing this but when it comes the time to open my mouth I freeze. What's worse is that I didn't have this back in the days when I went out and socialized (to the most minimal).

t. addict