Self Checkouts: Shouldn't I get a discount?

Tyler James
Tyler James

Instead of paying hourly wages for 8 cashiers to operate 8 cash registers, a company can install 8 self checkouts and pay one person an hourly wage to supervise all 8 self checkouts. Should I get a discount if I use self checkout, since I'm saving the company money?

Attached: Self-Checkout-Loss.jpg (207 KB, 997x672)

All urls found in this thread:

techcrunch.com/2018/01/21/inside-amazons-surveillance-powered-no-checkout-convenience-store/

Cameron Diaz
Cameron Diaz

the discount is avoiding fat depressing checkout clerk goblins.

Aiden Garcia
Aiden Garcia

i just saw the /r/canada thread on this

usually when you use these, you do it because the line is shorter than the cashiers

you save time, time = money

so shut up

Henry Mitchell
Henry Mitchell

This
To be fair, a solid portion that I encounter are actually incredibly polite and always smiling. They're women in their 50s that look like run down crack whores, but a lot are very pleasant (to talk to, not to look at) at least at the stores near me.

Nicholas Roberts
Nicholas Roberts

You do you dip

Staffing costs are lower meaning less overhead

You don't get to choose how much you pay

Why are canadians allways dumb in some nonspecific way, you all have massive massive gaps in your knowledge

Eli Hall
Eli Hall

Love these things shows how useless cashiers are

Attached: 1526520495447.jpg (34 KB, 640x518)

Aaron Bennett
Aaron Bennett

Its good for my social anxiety that i dont have to interact with anyone.

Attached: 1514624929163.jpg (59 KB, 910x752)

Jack Lee
Jack Lee

you're fucking stupid if you think corporations passed any savings onto to consumers. Less overhead? Do you even know what the fuck you are saying? Profitability margins? Econ 101? You should probably set your computer on fire and kill yourself, Diet Australia Jr.

Benjamin Rodriguez
Benjamin Rodriguez

no because then every fucking dumbshit imbecile will start using these and shit up the line and I won't have a speedy checkout anymore

Elijah Jenkins
Elijah Jenkins

Bahahahahahaha! You think upper management is going to pass on the opportunity to make higher margins? They're not passing on any savings onto the consumer. They look at us as a bunch of idiots to take money from.

The whole point of automation in a lot of these companies (Especially American companies) is to keep the current prices while cutting their overhead down completely.

Asher Rogers
Asher Rogers

I feel like I owe them more because it means theres 1 less person i have to interact with.

Carter Nelson
Carter Nelson

Should I get a discount if I use self checkout, since I'm saving the company money?

You are already getting a discount, because the store isn't raising prices as much as it would without self checkouts.

Zachary Wood
Zachary Wood

My question is, how do consumers feel like paying for the endless maintenence and "software experts" these machines will require? They'll be built cheap as shit so they'll be constantly breaking down, or crashing half the time. And you expect this shit to prepare your own food? Remember these computers have no intelligence or ability. Idea is not going to go well lads

Jose Brown
Jose Brown

The discount is called ringing up mangoes as potatoes

Joshua Gonzalez
Joshua Gonzalez

capitalism
Its cheaper to have customers steal than to pay staff

Mason Richardson
Mason Richardson

its actually bad for your social anxiety that you never interact with anyone

Michael Allen
Michael Allen

go back to r*ddit you fucking faggot

Cameron Davis
Cameron Davis

Thanks for reminding me that I have to get out tomorrow and expose myself as part of my anxiety exposure therapy.

Attached: 150090837760466.png (327 KB, 495x498)

Logan Howard
Logan Howard

I like being able to avoid "human interaction" in these places. Put your earbuds in, ignore everyone, grab what you need, and cash out. No small talk. No bullshit.

But op asking for a discount due too inevitable automation? Go fuck yourself, cheap jew.

Mason Johnson
Mason Johnson

Businesses don't operate on the basis of fairness or passing on the most savings to customers. If a business actually did charge like $2.00 less for your overall monthly grocery purchase would you even notice? Probably not, you'd just still go to the place closest to you.

They don't do it because it wouldn't change your behavior to make you prefer them over another business.

Attached: 1484240062136.jpg (78 KB, 800x600)

Jeremiah Powell
Jeremiah Powell

What. Where do you live? With any grocer with more than 3 checkouts there will usually be a cute uni student behind a register.

Kevin Parker
Kevin Parker

Here you get hot 16 year old blonde girls. They're cheap and are a nice face for your supermarket.

Jackson Green
Jackson Green

Hahahahahaha those glasses

Adam Miller
Adam Miller

They do random checks

Blake Lee
Blake Lee

1 person to account for all those machines?! There should be at least 2 considering how often those machines throw a hissy fit and call for assistance after putting one fucking apple on the scale! 2 OP. No more, no less.

Ethan Miller
Ethan Miller

Those machines are a lot more expensive than the average cashiering retard. If anything you should pay more to avoid them.

Luis Miller
Luis Miller

How does that shit work anyway? Here you get those portable scanners and scan everything before you throw it in your cart.

Adam Johnson
Adam Johnson

Not here, and they also removed the scales since they were too annoying. That said I've only done it once, ringing up tomatilloes and tomatoes and then felt too guilty when I was eating it was I made with them so haven't done it since

James Nguyen
James Nguyen

Here random + every alcohol purchase.

Aaron Stewart
Aaron Stewart

*tomatilloes as tomatoes

Jaxson Garcia
Jaxson Garcia

Lowe’s manager here. People always say that self check outs (sco) are taking the jobs of people. We didn’t let go of one associate nor did we cut hours of the employees when these rolled out. Also, people actually like them, I get a lot of complaints when the sco systems are down and people have to wait in line for a cashier.
I personally hate the fact that Albertsons got rid of their sco and I have to go to a cashier, it’s slower and annoying.

Brandon Lopez
Brandon Lopez

you do get a discount. what, you don't "forget" to scan a few items? cuck.

Elijah Robinson
Elijah Robinson

No idea what those even are

Isaiah Bennett
Isaiah Bennett

Your job is pathetic

Aiden Parker
Aiden Parker

This.

If you aren't discounting it yourself you are an idiot.

Justin Gonzalez
Justin Gonzalez

It's built into the prices you fucking mong

Evan Bennett
Evan Bennett

No, because those fucks are still getting employed. When the store cuts out all of those jobs, then you can expect lower prices across the board.

Also this

Isaiah Miller
Isaiah Miller

I absolutely hate self checkouts. they are never calibrated correctly, everytime i use one the poor lad at the kiosk has to override it and the computer is always screaming about putting shit in a bag faster than i can get it in there. jesus fuck i cant stand them.

Xavier Edwards
Xavier Edwards

You want lower prices? Go heckle the manager or a cashier.

Attached: 1493305110596.jpg (72 KB, 335x400)

Justin Hernandez
Justin Hernandez

Company saves themselves money
You should get a discount

Commie fag. Nevermind that those machines are expensive.

Jordan Clark
Jordan Clark

Yes. But they won’t give it to you, and that’s the other reason I won’t use self-checkouts. I won’t rob some pleb of a job, I won’t let the bosses keep ALL those folks’ wages after they fire them, and also I won’t pay the boss’s exorbitant prices and do all the unloading, checking and repacking of my stuff too. Fuck them. FUCK them. It not only screws the employee; it double screws the customer as well.

Lincoln Moore
Lincoln Moore

Fuck off. The job didn’t vanish just because machine. They gave the job to YOU, commie retard. And you wanna do it for free. Fuck, you’re stupid. Go DIAF.

Charles Long
Charles Long

Yeah, I agree. I babysit 160 employees. But I do it for 93k per year plus up to 40% bonus and free stocks. The good outweighs the bad.

Connor Foster
Connor Foster

You just suck user. Scan then bag. It’s easy as fuck.
Besides, that cashier monitors 4 transactions and can still check out at his register, so he is potentially taking care of 5 customers at a time.

Zachary Cox
Zachary Cox

Nope. I used to man these bad boys. Nobody cares. It's super easy to ring up organic fruit/veg as normal, and if anybody gives you grief for it just say "oh I didn't see the organic option". Self checkout stations were how I saved money during college.

Jack Myers
Jack Myers

Fuck your. I hate society and why they feel like the need a discount on everything or feel like the have to call a manager for stupid ass reasons.

Adrian Williams
Adrian Williams

this also. the system doesn't flow well when the "attendant" is slow in response.

Adam King
Adam King

The plates on the bottom next to the machines (where the bags are), are weight sensitive. So if you put something down without scanning it first, it'll fuck up. Each item of produce is priced by weight or quainty as well.

Juan Scott
Juan Scott

Yes. If you have to pour your own drink it should be cheaper too.

Luis Murphy
Luis Murphy

Should I get a discount if I use self checkout, since I'm saving the company money?
you already getting a discount with the lower prices they can now sell their goods for because they don't have to pay 7 more invalids yearly salaries to scan bar codes and take payment

Xavier Collins
Xavier Collins

OP is a kike

Hudson Morgan
Hudson Morgan

spend 10 minutes standing in line with some fat gunt lady and her stroller behind me
and some ancient lady in front of me counting out individual coins from a purse
so I can buy a sandwich and a drink at lunch

or spend 30 seconds ringing my stuff through
paying with Interac Touch
and enjoying the rest of my lunch break like a good wagie

I just got a discount as far as I'm concerned.

Not to mention the cashier is probably some shitskin ragtop who can't count or speak english.

Attached: qt49.jpg (1.44 MB, 1170x1497)

Juan Bell
Juan Bell

You are getting an added benefit, not only in the form of slightly cheaper goods, but the transfer of value from cashiering to other sections of the company.

Walmart was able to offer online ordering and in-store pickup for groceries because so many cashiers were freed up. You do get a small discount if you do the pickup thing. More people can work as stockers and on the store floor to ensure everything is fresh and in order.

Charles Garcia
Charles Garcia

Is this supposed to be hot? Pretty sure it smells bad.

Lucas Rodriguez
Lucas Rodriguez

What about the payroll tax?

Colton White
Colton White

Should I get a discount if I use self checkout, since I'm saving the company money
You do if you select bananas and weigh your steak instead of scanning.

Connor Hill
Connor Hill

That is all additional profit for the company.

Oliver Watson
Oliver Watson

This, Id rather scan and bag my own groceries than be forced to make small talk with the mid 40s townies who sound like theyve been smoking since before puberty.

Ryan Lee
Ryan Lee

yes you should. usual corporate jewry.

Blake Gomez
Blake Gomez

tattoos
May as well just wear a sandwich board saying she has herpes.

Hudson Peterson
Hudson Peterson

The discount is free shit.

I go shopping at Walmart at night the "security" are lazy niggers. Sometimes I just keep half my shit in the cart and they don't notice.

Michael King
Michael King

townies
what's a townie

Hudson Price
Hudson Price

No, they just provide you with the possibility to hack/trick these machines or trick the superviser.
Buit you have to take it actively by yourself.

Elijah Hernandez
Elijah Hernandez

A bikie that goes to macca's

Isaiah Moore
Isaiah Moore

The general gist of a townie is people who never do much with their lives. The people who muddled through school and never leave the general area they grew up for college/trade school/travel/military.

Gavin Stewart
Gavin Stewart

Yes

Oliver Lewis
Oliver Lewis

ok makes sense.

Easton Powell
Easton Powell

Oy vey! Not wanting to pay marked up prices to (((large corporations))) makes you a Jew!

Ryder Hall
Ryder Hall

The theft that happens offsets everything that could discount your pricing, so no, you get nothing.

Ryan Davis
Ryan Davis

i just saw the /r/canada thread on this

usually..

Attached: gWlcJOU3-400x400.jpg (20 KB, 378x378)

Zachary Johnson
Zachary Johnson

the machines are pretty great for haggling. they usually dont refuse an offer

Andrew Barnes
Andrew Barnes

How is your English so good that you can understand Australian-English terms so fluently. I fucking hate that the whole world can easily learn English and yet I struggle on trying to learn French.

Carson Flores
Carson Flores

Lucky you. Here it's 18-20 yo girls and they are sullen, stinkeye giving lazy bitches.

Luis Garcia
Luis Garcia

Your discount is reduced pricing on the items you buy. Assuming competition with other stores.

Austin Lewis
Austin Lewis

stores near me all hire highschool cuties :)

Attached: 1486087312808.jpg (181 KB, 480x893)

Ayden Robinson
Ayden Robinson

It would be leveraged into the overall selling price of all of their products, and a corporate entity is unlikely to really discount anything unless it would increase the demand for it

Jaxson Garcia
Jaxson Garcia

Because I remember all stupid lingo. Lorry is pretty bad too.

Wyatt Ward
Wyatt Ward

paying for the research, development, manufacture, and purchase of computer checkout terminals doesn't cost money
Jow Forums is full of literal retards

Samuel Taylor
Samuel Taylor

You get a discount by ringing up the expensive produce as cheap produce

Attached: 1424689001260.png (143 KB, 501x585)

Kayden White
Kayden White

Why don't they hire normal chicks then. In The Netherlands you get the hottest teenage babes.

Attached: 1544275243518.jpg (141 KB, 960x720)

Luis Wilson
Luis Wilson

You do get a discount, not dealing with a retard.

Owen Collins
Owen Collins

self checkout
use ebt w/out the shame

Cooper Nguyen
Cooper Nguyen

Attached: trumpjew-main.jpg (68 KB, 568x595)

Tyler Moore
Tyler Moore

You don't get a discount.. just fecal matter on your hands from the screen.

Colton Foster
Colton Foster

Ive been getting the five finger discount for years. Easy 10%-50% discount everytime I use those machines, depending how ballsy and ideal my items are.

Bentley Fisher
Bentley Fisher

Americans are legit a lot more friendly than brits. They just seem happier...even poor people.

Isaiah Ramirez
Isaiah Ramirez

She needs to work on her duck face... it'll come with practice.

Austin Cruz
Austin Cruz

Depends where you go. Better the more traditional and rural a place is, no matter the country

Cooper Ross
Cooper Ross

PLEASE PUT THE ITEM IN THE BAG
PLEASE REMOVE THE ITEM FROM THE BAG
PLEASE WAIT FOR ASSISTANCE
this shit is not faster unless the juden store eliminated all but one actual cashier
anyway these machines are super easy to steal from

Jeremiah Martin
Jeremiah Martin

This. Literally no reason to not just put an item or three straight through to your bag without scanning it.

Henry Hernandez
Henry Hernandez

I think user is just trying to point out that a burger, fries and drink from some mid tier fast food place should not cost 10-14 bucks.

Aaron Cooper
Aaron Cooper

Canadian can't even figure out a simple machine
You suffering from maple syrup poisoning or something?

Attached: Canada.webm (2.35 MB, 640x360)

Grayson Watson
Grayson Watson

get organic bananas
key in code for normal bananas
am I going to jail?

Attached: 1228491288.jpg (44 KB, 470x595)

Mason Myers
Mason Myers

lmao i put like apples or potatoes for whatever im buying

Justin Ward
Justin Ward

No,that would be like asking for a discount for a product if a company buys a new machine that let them be more efficient,in any case,the market will make sure that you get a better price for the products you are buying since supermarkets dont have to pay wages to cashiers anymore.

A supermarket starts using self checkout machines
Another supermarket does the same
The first one lowers his prices and takes the second supermarket bussiness.

Also people that say that all supermarkets will just agree on not lowering prices dont understand economics.

Connor Russell
Connor Russell

..except almost all checkouts have scales to prevent that exact thing.

Biggest money makers are produce and bulk foods because they have manual entry

Jose Gutierrez
Jose Gutierrez

Coupon niggers that buy two or four carts full of shit that will most likely not even use don't use them so that's a plus. On the con side I don't get to see the cute cashier girls.

Lincoln Bell
Lincoln Bell

The plates on the bottom next to the machines
It's called a scale, idiot.

Matthew Rivera
Matthew Rivera

I was in Croatia and got served by cashier with MEGAMILKERS holy shit

Jackson Brooks
Jackson Brooks

I don’t use them because I want people to have jobs. I will wait in a stupid line to check out with the 80 year old who moves as slow as a sloth because I feel like I am helping out my fellow man. They would have to offer 8% discount or more to me to get me to consider it. I have a large family and I buy a lot every trip I make. But Costco doesn’t even have this problem and it is where I do a lot of my shopping. Amazon is where I do my odds and ends. And Walmart sometimes for odds and ends and my local grocer for the quick small trips that I have to do in between Costco trips.

Charles Cook
Charles Cook

Townie at my college meant someone from the area college was located. A Berkeley townie could go to Cal, it didn't mean they're a loser, like you imply. Synonymous with "local"

Easton Bailey
Easton Bailey

you already see it in the reduced cost of items (or slower increase in price), unless you shop at Safeway/Vans or some other Jew store.

Winco is a perfect example of keep prices as low as possible by reducing their employee overhead as much as possible

William Parker
William Parker

I don’t use them because I want people to have jobs.
This is retarded. Wouldn't you rather we do away with mindless busy work and these people got better more interesting jobs?

Jose Fisher
Jose Fisher

I just snatched their password and take things for free.

Christian Davis
Christian Davis

You have to look at the big picture.

Store 1 has self checkout, store 2 does not.

IF and only if store 1 makes more money than store 2 by doing this change, they can now lower their prices and get another edge on the competition. They can offer more coupons, lower prices, have more sales, etc.

Store 2 is now not as competitive so people don't shop there, they go to store 1 for cheaper prices. Store 2 responds by doing the same thing and lowering their prices as well.

The truth is, there's a lot of problems with self checkout. Theft goes up a lot if a store is pure self checkout. There are security concerns and there's also the initial cost of creating self checkout. Right now I would say stores are *experimenting* with self checkout but a lot are finding it's just not viable in every area, plus it can piss off customers if it doesn't work right.

It has not yet been determined if self checkout really is cheaper, so it'll be a while before the consumers get the actual benefits.

Matthew Fisher
Matthew Fisher

This.
bag accidentally falls over
whole operation is now compromised
spend 15 mins waiting for lashondah to come reset the scale.

My local shart mart even has a little kiosk that has someone watching over the checkouts and they just stare at you like you ruined their day when the machine says PLEASE SHOW ID TO ATTENDANT.

Adrian Green
Adrian Green

Yeah, and you think the cashiers look through your shit? No, they don't. Normally they just press the red button and say "there you go" and walk off.

Joseph Walker
Joseph Walker

You do. As one example, McDonalds' dollar menu is still a dollar and the items on it still contain the same amount of food despite many years of inflation.

Austin Roberts
Austin Roberts

Scan *beep*
Put your item in the bagging area.
Scan *beep*
Scan *beep*
God I know, stop.
Scan *beep*
Scan *beep*
Scan *beep*
Scan *beep*
Scan *beep*
Please put the last item scanned back in the bagging area.
Wait wtf are you talking about?
Please wait for assistance.

Luke James
Luke James

How many times did you fail economics 101?

Caleb Myers
Caleb Myers

No, all profits flow to the top.
Thank you for shopping at Walmart.

Robert Campbell
Robert Campbell

Can't use a simple fucking checkout machine
The absolute state of burgers

Austin Reed
Austin Reed

Green vs red salsa base.

Ryder White
Ryder White

Remember when these first came out and /b/ would hack the coupon codes to make coupons for free shit.

Charles Sanchez
Charles Sanchez

apparently canadians cant read

Levi Sullivan
Levi Sullivan

Amazon took this to the next level:
techcrunch.com/2018/01/21/inside-amazons-surveillance-powered-no-checkout-convenience-store/

I wonder how long this will last.

Lucas Watson
Lucas Watson

As long as they don't put them in black neighborhoods.

Lucas Gonzalez
Lucas Gonzalez

You should because you're working for them as a cashier.

Jonathan Davis
Jonathan Davis

Ebooks: Shouldn't I get a discount?
Self service gas stations: Shouldn't I get a discount?
Cashless payment: Shouldn't I get a discount?
Globalized capitalsim: Shouldn't I get a discount?
You won't get a discount because the price you're willing to pay has already been established

Attached: 1534185117137.jpg (53 KB, 1268x713)

Jacob Sullivan
Jacob Sullivan

this, but on the other hand you have to deal with confused geezers, illiterate beans, cashcucks, and retards who self-check full carts. industrialization was a mistake

Ian James
Ian James

Easy two person scam, one underscans while another act's like tard that can't technology

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit