A Binary Star Is About to Go Supernova In Our Galaxy, And Could Produce a Gamma-Ray Burst!

>Eight thousand light-years from Earth, just below Scorpio, there's a cosmic serpent that's been hiding a secret sting in its tail. In a sinuous curl of glowing dust, astronomers have discovered a binary star system unlike any other in the Milky Way.

>It's a pair of rare, old, and unstable stars right on the brink of one of the most violent events in the Universe - stellar supernova. And when that happens, the team has determined, there's a good chance it will produce something even more unusual - a gamma-ray burst.

>These are some of the most energetic events ever recorded - an explosive burst of gamma rays releases more energy in 10 seconds than the Sun could in 10 billion years. Except never before has a gamma-ray burst been caught originating in the Milky Way.

>The star system that could be the first has been named Apep, after the Ancient Egyptian serpent-god of chaos.

Attached: GRB.jpg (1820x1137, 255K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencealert.com/this-jaw-dropping-binary-star-is-about-to-go-supernova-and-it-shouldn-t-even-be-here
youtube.com/watch?v=RLykC1VN7NY
youtube.com/watch?v=z9MysTXM_P4
archive.fo/7eDuT
foxbusiness.com/features/costco-sells-out-of-26-lb-mac-cheese-tub-with-20-year-shelf-life
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apep
universetoday.com/118140/are-gamma-ray-bursts-dangerous/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Art_Program
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The light we are receiving is eight thousand years old, it probably already went off but we wont know for who knows how the fuck long.

Earth is flat. Space isn't real.

sauce or sage

sciencealert.com/this-jaw-dropping-binary-star-is-about-to-go-supernova-and-it-shouldn-t-even-be-here

Attached: gammarayburst01-1.jpg (860x570, 54K)

Something like this near the southern border could destroy Trump's wall. Why bother building it?

>>/sci/

>8000 LY
Who gives a fuck, in the long run we're all dead

Attached: IMG_20181214_183204.jpg (714x720, 159K)

youtube.com/watch?v=RLykC1VN7NY

Attached: index.jpg (300x168, 9K)

I thought Betelgeuse was the most likely star in our vicinity to go supernova.

That just tells you how much the signal is delayed. Just like seeing something very far off in the distance crash, you'll see it first and hear it after: similar to sound, light has a speed, something moves it takes a while for that to reach you.
This means the star might have already exploded let's say 7999 years ago, that'd mean the light would only each us next year.

>"Scientists" make up more mumbo jumbo about events billions of miles away

Thanks for letting us know your retarded

flat earthers are kike shills trying to make right wingers look like lunatics

Every chance I get I look up and whisper softly “please be tonight”

Oh Oh, I guess we're in trouble... in 8000 years

I can't post the nature.com source, it's considered spam.

Attached: 1 Bmu6p1rA_sMm0iKYpoJY2g.jpg (885x714, 124K)

it would be a sight to see but it wouldn't affect us in the least.
at most it would cover the night sky in a bright nebula after a few hundred years

What was that prophecy?
It happens when it gets cold.
A rock will stand on 7 hills.
The bear will leave it's cave forever.
A beam in the night that will not kill.
Or something like that. Anyone have it?

No source no nothing

No, it may have already blown and during the entirety of human civilization a GRB has been crossing the void ready to destroy us all. It may have been heading here all this time.

Archive link it dipshit.

>Apep
Masons are obsessed with ancient egypt
They created also NASA

Attached: 1547004860535.jpg (1500x1022, 410K)

OP's title says it is "about to go supernova". If it does right now, then it would take 8000 years for us to see the effect. If he's claiming that it went supernova 8000 years ago and we're about to feel the effects, that's a different matter.

Either way, I'm not going to be held responsible for OP's language skills.

>it-shouldn-t-even-be-here

Pop sci trash.

Do eet! Do eet! I'm hear, calm awn, keel me! Do eet naow!!!!

why would a gamma ray destroy us?
pls no bully I'm an ignoramus supreme edition.

Old news. The gamma ray jets are missing us and are going to be nowhere near us

Guess what it already went supernova. Wrap your head around that baguette

If anything, it should turn people into a super strong version of pepe

youtube.com/watch?v=z9MysTXM_P4

I'm trying...

archive.fo/7eDuT

Attached: 15302311931.png (658x662, 59K)

lulz

Attached: tardjack.png (842x792, 82K)

>If he's claiming that it went supernova 8000 years ago and we're about to feel the effects
That's what he means. It's standard to use that phrasing about astronomical phenomena.

What could possibly be more glorious than a thing which cripples even the most sucessful of men. It would be like God deciding to do Communism.

You nigs don’t understand space. A couple of things to note.
1) Gamma ray bursts are extremely directional. The energy errupts from the poles of the event in exactly 2 directions. Its like a game of cosmic spin the bottle of death. The GRB has to be aimed at Earth within a very precise orientation. If its off by 0.01 degree, after traveling for 8000 light years that equates several billion miles outside of our solar system.
2) The inverse square law. This law states that for any given distance distance from an event that radiates in 3 dimensions, the concentration of energy we receive is 1/distance^2. This means that an event a billion times more energetic than our sun, if its a million times farther away equates to us recieving an amount of energy from said event thats a tiny fraction of what we already receive from the sun.

>Eight thousand light-years from Earth
>About to Go Supernova

You mean it was about to go supernova 8,000 years ago and the light from the explosion has had time to make the trip here?

Attached: Scientists.jpg (2126x1397, 741K)

Attached: Prophecy.jpg (407x775, 78K)

I'm proud of you user.

Supernova is not a gamma ray burst

>in the long run we're all dead
I can't wait.

Attached: 1479348883792.gif (500x500, 2.51M)

Ah, so that's what those guys at KIC 8462852 building. A shield against gamma radiation. Welp, at least they were smart and advanced enough to survive. We should send them some message so they would know we were here.

Why does the material get pumped out? I thought black holes captured shit

>faster blob
>slower blob
it's all sci fi for the gullible
it's mockery really

Egyptian God of chaos fucking what?

Hrs right tho. If it were hypothetically in our view right now and it blew up right then and there, if the gamma ray burst hits us we die the moment we see that burst (or slightly after it). And all of that from the light to the effects, all took 8000 light years to travel.

why would a gamma ray destroy us?
.. that's the part I don't get.

get a load of this retard.

Time to stock up bros, btw all the mac and cheese is gone.
foxbusiness.com/features/costco-sells-out-of-26-lb-mac-cheese-tub-with-20-year-shelf-life

God is sterilizing the Earth, because we are not entertaining enough.

I chuckled

the materiel doesnt get ejected from the singularity, it is ejected from the accretion disk as the matter condenses.
unless you understand the pauli exclusion principle it is pointless for me to try to explain it to you.

Sp does this mean Earth won't even be effected for at least 8000 years?

You're thinking of Shiners.

It's too late!

#woke!

Attached: more land (2).jpg (1200x965, 100K)

no, it means that if this thing went off we could already be dead.
we just wouldn't know it yet because the gamma rays haven't had time to reach us.
interestingly enough if it went off 8k years ago it would imply the human race was doomed from the moment we created civilization and literally of history and human life has been utterly meaningless

Yeah, Apep is another name for Apophis.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apep

Attached: KEK.jpg (550x329, 86K)

It's the opposite you retards.

It means it blew up 8000 years ago and we are just witnessing it.

Attached: cy6GRTw8YsQReuQa.png (1500x1552, 609K)

What is this larp even?

>You havent found out you are already dead and we are living on the inevitable cathastrophe timeline

Attached: 3F7BE158-B3AC-49A6-8E2D-A2907822BD06.jpg (404x404, 40K)

Ionise everything. Worst dose of sunburn you've had in a while.

Is it really named Pepe?

The light reaching us from an event, and that event happening are the same thing from our frame of reference. You could think of it as light travels everywhere instantly, and flying towards an event literally moves you forward in time with respect to that event. If the light hasnt reached us, it literally hasn’t happened in our observable universe.

So as long as the last guy alive on Earth is white...we win

The odds of it hitting us are incredibly low. Fuck this gay earth.

If it were close enough to us it would boil away the oceans and strip our planet of its atmosphere. It would have to be extremely close though.

you bet it, friendo

Attached: shadycheck.jpg (500x348, 59K)

That's stupid though. Things happen in absolute time and it takes the speed of light to propagate through space. There's some weirdness regarding gravity and shit but places in time are locations. Time isn't just a measurement it's a dimension.

if this gamma ray burst from the star mentioned in op would hit the earth it would be close enough universetoday.com/118140/are-gamma-ray-bursts-dangerous/

"In fact, astronomers predict that the lethal destruction from a gamma ray burst would stretch for thousands of light years. So if a gamma ray burst went off within about 5000-8000 light years, we’d be in a world of trouble."

Is this for real though? I want off this timeline if so

Attached: 53Tp3eGybkEBeqwB.jpg (755x794, 147K)

Attached: Etn3tkMGHy9pbSHs.jpg (1000x976, 364K)

totally fucking irrelevant. i get so tired of this fucking comment being the first post every nigger fucking time something in space gets mentioned. put on a dog costume and take a trip thru chinatown you fucking mongrel shitskin

Attached: 1522783379990.jpg (1080x1350, 124K)

>interestingly enough if it went off 8k years ago it would imply the human race was doomed from the moment we created civilization and literally all of history and human life has been utterly meaningless

Attached: 1533972719131.png (274x368, 112K)

underrated

>gamma ray
Is extremely energetic, and when we speak of gamma ray burst, we speak of astronomical events that unleash a torrent of energy in two opposite directions that usually fry everything in their path.
>GRB hits Earth and ionizes part of the atmosphere, interferes with the magnetosphere and all ectronics
>Sky turns strong purple color
>Sunlight suddenly becomes unbearably bright and hot everywhere in the world
>Clouds are gone
>All electronics not protected by Faraday cages fry. All humans with pacemakers receive a heart attack. All planes lose autopilot capabilities. All radars go bonkers. GPS glitches. Everyone on the ISS is roasted alive. Everyone in daylight during the event goes blind and sustains second degree burns.
>The Sun now scorches the surface of the Earth at certain angles.
>Global panic sets in as a considerable portion of all living beings get microwaves to death.
>Humanity ensues.

FOR everyone confused, think of it like this:
Let’s say you have a camera that takes a picture every second, and sends a print of it down a conveyer belt that moves at a set speed. Every second, this camera is sending a steady feed of images down this conveyor belt towards the end, where a man is sitting watching them. Two cars now collide in the frame of the camera, and it’s slowly taking photos as they do, sending them down the line. Let’s say that the conveyor belt moves at 1 mile an hour, and it’s 1 mile long. While the events of the car crash are already long passed, the images of it take 1 hour to reach the man, to whom it appears to be happening in real time. This is how light in space operates.

If the stars did go super nova and emit a GRB, it already happened, and it’s only just catching up to us.

>it would be a sight to see but it wouldn't affect us in the least.
That very much depends on the intensity and duration of the burst. It could in theory scour half the surface of the Earth of life and blow some of the atmosphere off. I'm assuming the Sun's magnetosphere would protect us somewhat but it's still disconcerting.

Let's say this thing ejaculates. What's gonna happen?

>Let's say this thing ejaculates. What's gonna happen?
The biggest bukkake of all time, I guess...

Attached: GEug3FS.gif (499x213, 375K)

lawl

If the poles of the star align with our planet we get spaceholocausted its a small chance but I don't know the spread of the gamma ray particles

Attached: 1525650508147.jpg (913x1024, 84K)

Kek

my body is ready

Attached: Face the Bloodshed.png (250x250, 72K)

>Things happen in absolute time
That's where your wrong, kiddo. Its called "spacetime" for a reason.

why should I care about something happening 8000 years ago?

Do you really believe those fear mongering scientists and their bull shit?
Just like the time when a new Star Wars movie was released, NASA suddenly finds a group of stars shaped like a light saber, they even said picture was done by NASA artists, BULL SHIT!
SCIENTISTS ARE SAYING THAT SHIT SO THEY CAN KEEP THE TAX PAYING FUNDING GOING FOR THEIR WASTE OF TIME JOBS!

NASA Art Program - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Art_Program

The NASA Art Program was established in 1962. NASA administrator, James Webb, jump-started the program by recommending artists to become involved in ...

Use the inverse square law and do the math.

Because shit in space takes a long ass time to get here 8000 years in this case.

Gasp black and white low resolution photos look like shit.

Simply put, it's cosmic jizz will obliterate anything it comes into contact with. On the supremely low chance it hits Earth, all life on the planet will end. I wouldn't be surprised if the atmosphere was stripped from the planet, but at the bare minimum, the surface would melt into irradiated slag. A near miss would likely fuck with electronics and possibly distort the magnetosphere. It'd certainly blind anyone looking up at the sky at the time. Both scenarios are probably not going to happen. A gamma ray burst is a relatively narrow beam of energy, and hitting Earth with one is like nailing a grain of sand with a needle. Remember that even if it is happening in the Milky Way, it's a big galaxy. 100 light years in diameter is 600 trillion miles, and who knows how much volume.

>The star system that could be the first has been named Apep, after the Ancient Egyptian serpent-god of chaos.
Akek?
We did it again didn't we?

hey thanks! Didn't have that saved on this pc.

Talking about a supernovae or a true gamma ray from a black hole?
If you are talking about a supernovae then absolutely not; the gamma rays released will be in all directions it would be unlikely that a resulting black could have a gamma ray burst as it takes huge stellar masses to cause a black hole to do this. A direct hit from a true gamma ray may cause some damage and may in the worst case cause a mass extinction however we as a species would probably carry on. People would have to hide from the sun a while but they could still live. Its not unthinkable that some prior mass extinctions were caused by something like this.

What is incorrect about what he said? unless the retarded wojak is supposed to be you...

The biggest variable is whether it's a spherical burst or a beam along one of the object's magnetic lines.

Have you tried climbing inside a nuclear reactor?

Hope Earth faces this way when the burst hits
Too bad about the atmosphere though...

Attached: 2019-01-12_015809.jpg (700x682, 108K)

I was referring to real gamma ray bursts, since we know so little about them. A supernova, unless really close, is just a light show. I'm referring to the you-wake-up-and-the-Eastern-Hemisphere-Is-Scourged type of cosmic event.

That's a really good explanation, i always struggle to explain it to normies.