How did YOU survive the 2008 mega recession?

How did YOU survive the 2008 mega recession?

Oldfags get the FUCK in here

Attached: 2008-recession.jpg (710x248, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_Bonus
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Getting laid off from my school janitor job was the best thing that ever happened to me. Force me to start a business.

ok

I had skills that had nothing to do with sitting on my ass and looking at a computer screen. People can do without fast food, but cannot live without heat and water.

t. plumber/pipefitter

I work for the federal government.
No, I'm not furloughed.

What kind of business?

This

after I lost my job as executive chef at Wendys I started my own catering business. Best thing that ever happened to me

I was 8 so I just had to eat generic food

I went into the Marine Corps.

a janitorial business

I didn't.
Now I'm browsing Jow Forums.
Wait for the next and last one...

I joined the Air Force.

>pipefitter

I bet you are. *pinches your nipples and ballcocks*

I had homo sex for money.

I was in the Marines, so I didn't have to worry about it.

Really enjoyed my layoff. Decided to restructure into semi retirement. I realize most can never do this though.

Got into debt, never recovered.

There wasn't one, the supposed (((crisis))) only affected poor fags who bought houses they couldn't afford and ultra rich mega jews.

Continued to work at my comfy 6 figure job and took the opportunity to buy cheap stocks.

in 2009 I took delivery of a new $100,000 boat that I bought on a whim at the CNE boat show and spent every summer weekend on it in the Toronto harbour for the next 5 years.

I did not feel the recession at all.

True story.

Was working maintenence in a steel mill ;still working there today. Didn't notice shit really. I was laid off for 5 weeks throughout the year, and less overtime was available.

My wife and I were pregnant with our first son, living in our first starter home. She got cut from her sales job, and I got laid off as a construction supervisor.

We went through all of our savings at the time, cashed in a Roth IRA to make the house payments, had to even go on food stamps and WIC for a year but we got through it.

I got a lead on a job at the Ford Motor co. had two more sons, have our nice brick home, inna woods and are saving money like no tomorrow.

>I bet you are.
Find someone to wager against you, and you would make a lot of money. *Laughs at your small dick*

Attached: real men don't herd turds.jpg (1920x2560, 1.08M)

Had a job overseas that nobody else wanted. Then got a job in the US that nobody else wanted.
I work in a job that can't find any applicants.

Attached: frens.png (640x444, 140K)

My government gave me and every other Australian $1000 bucks to buy drugs and forget about it. I can't imagine tfw you realise that you're not only a faggot but, you were born and live in at best a beta tier country - for there can only be one alpha... Cucks btfo

Just gotta check..

I got downsized from my job, lived off my severance while I looked for a new job, went back to school, got my masters degree, and started a new job making more than I ever did at my old one.

So, I did alright.

Lost my high paying job in '09, used up unemployment, used up 401K, still no work. Filed bankruptcy. Finally found another good job in '14, ok now, but my wealth is gone. I was middle aged in '09 and went for months and months without return phone calls for interviews.

It was exactly the same as without the recession.

Xbox and cheap beer. More money doesn't equal more happiness.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_Bonus

We got free oil money

Attached: 1545362216458.jpg (400x640, 68K)

Not to give others advice, but if a new recession is coming, pay off your house and get debt free. You will then sail through what would be a hell of a rough time. Get debt free!

No it isn't. You should wash your semen encrusted clothes as they are beginning to reek.

Graduated college in may 07 with suddenly worthless degree. Waited tables for 3 years and was back in college by 2010. It hasn't been terrible but I'm pretty smart with good work ethic and I'm not killing it.

I've been in a career that is consistent that earns over 50k yearly and still has an actual retirement pension. My peers that I've kept up with are mostly non professionals making between 25k and 60k. The ones who did make it into higher salaries are the ones that have families and homes.

I'm several years away from being willing to take on a down payment and mortgage because of rapid community change and I don't wanna be upside down on a house I hate in a neighborhood going downhill.

I noticed only 2 people were hiring back then: Welders and Long Haul Truckers. I became a Long Haul trucker. I am 36 and now I don't truck anymore; I own 2 businesses. It was a job to fill the time until the recession was over.

>is that you Dave Ramsey?

god the march of time really doesn't end does it. Being alive for the bush crash now makes you an oldfag.
Sometimes I forget that the average user always remains 17-23, so that puts average Jow Forums birth year at 1996-2002. Hell, there are people posting right now that weren't even alive for 9/11... The Obama presidency happened when they were fucking sucking their thumb in kindergarten.

Its all too much really.

Attached: 1547669285391.png (890x501, 705K)

(You)

Attached: 6E7EF481-D1FC-478E-A182-80E2201C75C9.jpg (3898x2176, 2.22M)

PH economy got better. There was never really a recession felt here. Started a 10 year bull run due to QE.

Thanks America.

I was a university student making $9/hr at a liquor store. My summer job didn't change - $16-18/hr, full-time. Parents only had to pay my rent 2 or 3 times in three years and it had nothing to do with the recession, just my personal retardation with money.

worked a job making $10/hr

what career is that youre in now? im debating going back to college for a second, non-useless degree

I suppose you rightly take some comfort in being only one letter away from A.

I downsized to a smaller house in late 2007. Other Mcmansion wouldn't sell, and the bank would rarely answer the phone to discuss a short sale option.
Had a buyer, but bank refused.
I let it foreclose, and bank probably wrote it off...who knows. The banks were overwhelmed with the same sort of problems during that time 07-09, so I'm not really surprised it went down the way it did.

Took a hit on my credit score for a few years, but nothing too bad. I already had a new truck and house, so I didn't need credit at that time. Also had one credit card with no balance.

After 7 years, I think, foreclosures drop off credit reports. Credit score is 820 today.
Bought a new Mcmansion in 2015. Doing alright.

I learned enough that time around to protect myself in this years recession.

went to work digging ditches.
not even memeing

Oh and I forgot, FUCK CANADA. Those wood pecking faggots came here because much of the flow of QE went to emerging economies. They wanted their part, those parasites, so they went here, speculated on the housing market and pumped up house prices. Then they sent their fucking trash here. Fuck Canadians and fuck your sissy boy phony MMA faggot Tradeau. Tell him to go suck my dry, brown cock.

I started 11nth grade. In 2009 i pondered if this recession would affect my life... now I'm 27 living with mom and dad.

Attached: 1541394192891.jpg (400x400, 28K)

Quit my job to go to grad school and my last day just happened to be the same day they had to lay off 100 employees. Went and lived on my savings in Europe for a couple years and then came back and got a job right away making 20k more than I was making (although I was an EE getting paid a technician's wage earlier because fuck EEs).

I didn't. Got laid off, had to short sell the house. The market has skyrocketed since and it's the worst time to buy right now. I missed out on tens of thousands of dollars of equity and now I rent a house with 3 roommates paying more than what a mortgage costs. JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP

Attached: 1445727628786.png (370x359, 183K)

I didn't

I have been in the auto industry.. on the supplier side for a couple of foreign car companies. We were one of the lucky companies, and even managed to catch some contracts that fell out from our competition being buried from the fallout.

Didn't even notice it. Barely even noticed the great butter crisis of 2011 lmao.

Attached: 15728393.jpg (360x360, 32K)

I didn't survive it. I'm 30 and cant afford a house. Now I'm being harassed by my landlord because some paco got our building rent controlled and they want to kick us out to make room for imported indian tech workers.

We got married literally the day before the DOW tanked in 2008. Our plans got set back a couple years but we were still really young and in dumb jobs so we were able to adjust pretty easily. Finally righted things around 2011.

I lost my job in 2003, then was 1 paycheck from missing my first house payment. I found a job throwing boxes at FedEx, which led me to a second job. Learned to live below my means. By the time the 2003 recession hit, I had enough money to buy 2 condos for cash. I then sold my house, and another property, and bought another house and property. All are paid off except the house I live in, and all properties have doubled in value since I bought them. The 2008 recession was the best thing that ever happened to me.

so basicaly if you had kept your house you would have made a tidy profit

i've never had any money so it didnt matter.

butthurt

Attached: 1535506707846.jpg (807x802, 74K)

why would they want you kicked out? do they think they can trick the indians into paying more than the legal rent limits?

*2008 recession hit

weed, opiates, booze, and sitting around at a friend's house with all the other unemployed people like russian niggers while everyone in town is worried about losing their jobs and their houses

Attached: 1474133893796.jpg (320x320, 15K)

i worked for a fortune 50 company and didn't take out a mortgage. still working for that same company, still no mortgage.

Teaching. There's a massive teacher shortage all over the USA. I mean like 100,000 open positions. It's not an easy job but if you're a dude it's guaranteed work where ever you wanna live because men are a minority in the field. Math, science, and English teachers with a MA or higher will START at least at 50k.

dad made a high salary

Lets see who gets the last laugh when Canada gets BROWNED. Fuck you woodies. Every fucking Canadian I met here, same story. "I lived in the woods in Canada yada yada yada so I'm still new to the city life". Well fuck off you wooggots.

I just kept going to work
It didnt affect me at all, just boomers and fags who (((invest)))

Fuck you burgers have it rough. I imagine Chinese or Russian peasants of the past would have had similar conversations with their fellows after some massive famine or depression that caused millions of deaths. "All me goats died and my hut burned down and i swept sewers with my bare hands for a few years but i built a new hut and i've got a few goats now, too." I don't know weather to admire you or look down on you and scoff...

I'm doing the same.
any tips old timer?

>weather
bogan education everyone

I've only lived in cities, friend whose flag I don't recognize.

Attached: 1454929806233.jpg (328x1034, 122K)

By not living above my means like a fucking retard, that's how. Don't spend like a nigger, save your shekels, and you'll be fine.

James Watson played a key role in the human genome project

Avoid boring people

I never recovered :(

Fuck your empire woodie. We're gonna go Sentinel Island on you peckers.

I worked in an industry that wasn’t kiked to hell. Bought my house in 2009 right at the very bottom of prices. House is worth twice as much now. Feels good man.

Come back home cunt and i'll fuck you up.

i have no idea what that is supposed to say.

John Bogle is dead.

God help us all.
Market is going to crash hard

this was meant for you, poofter

Bought 2 homes with $2,500 on my pocket. Sold them in 2015, made $750,000.

I graduated and went into community college not knowing wtf I wanted to do. Originally I wanted to be a soldier but parents didn’t want it and I was always a good boy who listened.

Wasted 3 years failing classes before moving to a foreign country for 5. Came back and been here a year already.

The last six months have I been successfully achieving a goal.

I’m off to a bad start.

Tell us of better days papa

I could only make out annoying beaner

>because men are a minority in the field
That's not how it works, men are a minority in the field because women are preferred hires lol.

I didn’t . Had to close muh business and still in debt over it

so you still owe $250,000?

The Great Butter Crisis was rough, remember the Lime Scarce a few years back?

can't be, but it's an austrialian guess, so i give you credit.

It didn't affect me because I was a poorfag at the time and didn't lose my job

Oh, and I’m 28 living in a shared duplex with two male immigrants, working 2 part time jobs :)

Ran into financial trouble with school, took time off, lived with parents and worked a shitty retail job, then went back to school for eng and just now finishing. sucks, but sometimes life just messes with you.

2008 recession was interesting. I noticed the quality of goods made the next season take a dive overall as cost cutting bled over into EVERYTHING, (Ex, Eco friendly! It's green, recycled, cost less to make, lasts half as long, and is the same price!) and only now are things at about where they were then. Friends who graduated through 2010 had a BAD Time finding work, think 500+ applications, 5 interviews, maybe 1 or 2 offers (and this was one of the smarter EE's I know, 3.6ish GPA, and multiple internships).

2008; Obama got elected, people cheered in the streets because of "Hope and Change". SJW's weren't a thing for a few more years, and the iPhone had JUST come out a few months before. Lean was the new buzzword among white-collar and blue collar jobs, ex we're going to fire people and make the people left work harder for the same pay.

You could still talk to people who didn't hold all your political views and find common ground; and dating involved actually hanging out with people in person; and not the garbage heap that tinder and others have turned finding a partner into.

Nope, pocketed half a mill and then bought my next home cash. Don't know what rent or a mortgage is since 2015. The 2008 Crisis was actually pretty good.

Reenlisted
What’s up fellow AF faggot? You current on your green dot and cyber awareness?

>2008; Obama got elected, people cheered in the streets because of "Hope and Change".
only the retards.

>You could still talk to people who didn't hold all your political views and find common ground;
only because the leftist retards are sore losers, and at the time their commie nigger was president.. now that they lost, they are butthurt faggots

Remember, the next down turn may not be so easy as 2008. The Fed will try but be unable to stimulate this time-negative interest rates will happen. Stocks are inflated and will return to historical norms. and home values will drop. If you can, prepare now and get out of debt.

had not long left highschool, always had a job in highschool, and then suddenly there was no fucking jobs anywhere (for anyone my age it seemed) and houses went from 40 or 50k to 300+. Shit was fucking hard and basically just poverty until my mid twenties (when things finally picked up and i got the opportunities i should've got at 18)
oh and there was the endless being belittled by fucking boomers because our generation was fucking lazy for not working nonexistant fucking jobs
tl;dr i lost six or seven years and will probably never own a home now
also fuck boomers, sweet jesus fuck boomers

Nobody cheered in the streets, and you don’t know what lean is.

Women are not preferred in education, especially in middle school and elementary where less than 1 in 4 teachers are men. But even in high school the the break down is like 65-35 in most states. Believe me you will stand out just by being male and qualified.

Don't get me wrong; you still have to be qualified and somewhat respectable seeming. These desired qualities do favor female candidates because most men that meet those requirements still look at teaching as more of a female profession like nursing or library science and go in other manlier directions.

Amen.