FIRED

31m

I was fired from my first non-internship job since graduation. I have a BS degree in Biomedical Engineering. It's been six months since my last internship ended and 18 months since I graduated.

I was fired because apparently I wasn't meeting quotas on assignments. I had a meeting with the recruiting manager that got me the job and she mentioned my productivity was only 50% of other folks. She also said not to worry and that she'd follow up with me so tried to improve. Then I tried contacting her after a while but didn't hear anything back. Then a few weeks later I was told to leave immediately.

I have loans to pay and a new lease on an apartment. I also come from an azn family so I don't even know how I'm gonna explain this to anyone.

How should I approach job applications at this point? Can I just bluff about the last 6 months and say I was busy with some other shit? Should I put my last job even if I'll have to explain being fired for performance (that's what they'll hear if they call them)? Can I expect to get another entry-level position in my field any time soon either way? Any advice is appreciated.

Attached: 407.png (863x431, 202K)

I'm sure there are some positions open at walmart, they love to underpay college grads. Good luck!

thanks

Just a layperson's opinion, but don't put it on your resume. It is likely to hurt your candidacy. And if you lie about why you left, that can be bad if they find out the real reason you left.

6 months isn't long but it's starting to be not too short either, so you need to start applying. Make a convincing excuse; folks take time off after graduation anyway.

A BS won't get you anywhere, you need a Masters minimum. Why haven't you gotten into a Masters/Phd program yet?

I hope I'll do OK. Isn't the economy supposed to be good nowadays?

thanks, but i hope i don't go broke meanwhile. i still dunno what i'm gonna tell my family; i'll never be allowed to live it down.

>Isn't the economy supposed to be good nowadays?
If you're looking for a minimum wage service job yes.

Where were you fired from? I'm also a biomedical engineer and need work. Please help user. Let me try for your old position?

I too was fed the idea that there was this boom in STEM careers and jobs would just rain down on folks with degrees. Absolute bullshit. And it's not like I was looking for six figure salary or something.

Companys are doing great. Upper management is doing great. Better than ever. Rank-and-file employees are still the wageslaves they ever were. Employers are insufferably choosy even with decent internship experience and an accredited technical degree.

Exactly. I've been looking for A YEAR. And I'm desperate enough to be asking user for help. Name of company? you can kik me of you don't wanna say on here

Sure whatever. It was a clinical engineering position with Novum in Texas. I dunno if they're gonna replace me.

My best advice is be willing to accept some un- or under-paid intern ships

Thank you.
I have been applying to internships. "Must Be Currently Enrolled."
I want my fucking tuition back. How about for every semester-length period of time that I don't find work, I get that tuition back?
The thing is I really, really enjoyed everything I learned in school. i didn't do it for the job security, i did for enjoyment. But fuck me, man, I'm worried.

And you're fucked, too. At least for the moment.

Did you get a Masters?

If you go into STEM and you only get your Bachelor's, you deserve unemployment

fuck you man, not everyone has extra time and money lying around or parents they can mooch off of infinitely while they spend most of their time studying for 30 years.

we're not a poor country; people who put in the time and effort to improve themselves so they can be more productive shouldn't be left in the dust due to the vagaries of fate.

if we put in the time, effort, and money to get a degree from an accredited program in a field with jobs, we should be able to afford an independent, comfortable standard of living.

A friend of mine got a full ride scholarship for his undergrad in your field and a few months ago shipped off to a top 5 Phd program where he's being paid a decent salary. You're unemployed because you're an entitled retard, nothing else

no wonder you're unemployed lol

If I haven't found work in 2 years should I start applying to masters programs?

>A friend of mine got a full ride scholarship for his undergrad in your field and a few months ago shipped off to a top 5 Phd program where he's being paid a decent salary.

The only reason full ride scolarships exist is because the vast majority of us don't qualify for them so we pay our way.

>You're unemployed because you're an entitled retard
Yes, entitled to what I paid for, in time, money, and effort, and what was advertised. If the majority of people in the economy are working their hardest yet are are still relegated to "entitled retard" since they didn't pursue a phd, then it's no longer a personal failure, it's a broken economy.

Yes
If what you have now isn't working it most likely won't work in the future
Have you exhausted every connection you have? What kind of salary range are you looking for?

IDK 60? Enough to rent an apartment here?

I'm not a social person so I don't have many connections.

>what was advertised
did the school tell you that jobs were guaranteed? who advertised this to you?

60k?

I mean with the rent here yeah that's about average starting from what I've heard.

Pretty much. I was told there was an 80% hire rate within a year of graduation. And I've heard ad nauseam how much of a hiring boom the field was having. It was reasonable for me to conclude that if I got a degree in the field and did my best, I should be able to comfortably support myself.

If a society is wealthy, then people should be able to live comfortably if they do their best to make the right decisions and work hard.

How does one even get into a good masters or PhD program with good grades but a 2 year gap?

>did my best
What is your "best?" It's hard to believe a student with high marks and recommendations would not find work.

Not him but I had a 4.0 GPA but got nothing because I'm autistic.

Companies only want chads.

by applying

Do they care about that sort of thing?
How do I get rec letters from profs I haven't seen in ages.

you sound like a bitter moron. what are you planning to do to fix your situation?

Build my own company and product.

I live in a wealthy society. I went into a field that I was told was in demand. I passed the accredited program. I finished the underpaid internships and got references.
I should be able to find a job in the field that pays enough for me to live comfortably.

It's one thing if I didn't want to work or made unintelligible choices. But I don't understand what we get from an economy that leaves us at the mercy of the good graces of the small fraction of people who control the most wealth. What is the point of suffering this? It's completely senseless for the large majority of society.

Op here your going to want to suck my dick after all the help I'm giving you.

They can't say why the fired you, it's illegal. Just make something up. Say your car broke and you got let go for not being able attend. Some bullshit like this. Say your Ex gf worked there and it was to much to handle, just lie.

Broken economy, yes. Your problem, yes.

Bro, let me hit you with some knowledge. 70% of Americans make less than $50k a year.

Wut were you applying for?

Entry level engineering jobs in canada.

use your bio engineering to DESIGN FUCKING SUPERHUMAN SERUMS!!!!!

What type of eng.

Mechatronics and control systems.

How the fuck can't you get a job with a 4.0... Are you that much of a spaz?

lie on your resume everyone does it, get fake references.
Maybe go work in another industry for abit blue collar work pays well not that faggot office shit

Yes. People barely respond to me resume.

>I had a meeting with the recruiting manager that got me the job and she mentioned my productivity was only 50% of other folks. She also said not to worry and that she'd follow up with me so tried to improve.
lesson to be learned here - the manager you report to in your internship is who you should talk to about the report on your productivity

>Should I put my last job even if I'll have to explain being fired for performance (that's what they'll hear if they call them)?
employment law - if you list this as a previous job, future employers can ONLY confirm your dates of employment, the former employer can't badmouth your for termination, unless you were charged with a crime.
you don't have to go into great detail answering this question in an interview. hiring managers are interested if you can do the current job and just want to see some history. in an interview just have a 1-2 positive stories to tell about your 6 months in any area of the daily job
keep it on your resume and say the reason you left is that management changed and released lots of people