Mass shootings in the US, how would I prepare for them in my next vacations visiting the US?

Hello Jow Forums

Sorry for the clickbait title, but It's partially true to what I'm about to write.

So yeah, me being a foreigner and outsider to the U.S. (I'm Mexican, live in Jalisco), how does a foreigner protect themselves from mass shootings at the US?

I don't mean to offend American nationalism, but you guys are supposed to be a first world country and probably one of the most powerful countries in the world, then why do I keep reading news about people getting shot at out of nowhere?

My country, Mexico, is full of shit too. We have a bunch of druglords and drug related violence everyday. I mean, the other day we found a truck full of corpses (157) because our government can't keep up with criminals and they don't know what to do with all the people they kill everyday here in Jalisco.

Mexico is a beautiful country, but we are riddled with violence, you won't get killed here if you don't mess with the wrong people most of the time, so at least you can have some peace knowing that. But if you read about the U.S. all I get is mass shootings and people killing other people before attempting suicide. I mean, really?, c'mon now that's really worrisome. You guys being a first world country should already have that under control by now, meanwhile my country's third world status and it's violence won't probably end anytime soon.

Weapons are illegal in Mexico, but most people here don't care and buy them in the black market so you could say people here DO go walking around with firearms anyway. Yet we don't get mass shootings at malls or schools. What is it that the U.S. has that causes mass shootings that doesn't seem to cause it here? and how do you guys plan to fix that or how do I even protect myself if I ever were to visit the US?

Attached: 4343.png (311x162, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/how-many-mass-shootings-in-america-this-year-2018-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Mass shootings are highly publicized because they are extremely rare. You're more likely to be killed in Mexico than the US.

As a Mexican actually living in Mexico I agree you're more likely to get killed here than the U.S. That however, doesn't address my question.

Why you guys haven't fixed that by now, if you're a first world country?

It's unacceptable, and I'm not here trying to go on a "Mexico is better than the US" conversation. That's not the point and I know the U.S. has a better quality of life overall.

It's still amazes me that mass shootings happen over there, while I can assure you (I've been living in Mexico for 26 years of my life [being 26 myself]), you won't get killed in Mexico while going to school or attending a club party.

You'll get killed here if you mess with drugs and the wrong kind of people, or walking late at night in some of our streets flashing your money or something.

I don't agree mass shootings are extremely rare in the US, I keep reading about them quite frequently.

>really good english with no spanglish mistakes even though Mexican nationality
>reddit spacing
>jumps from "how to protect myself" to "Why you guys haven't fixed that by now, if you're a first world country?"
>goes from "I don't mean to insult" to "it's unacceptable"
Yeah go fuck yourself you raging communist and your bullshit.

> you won't get killed in Mexico while going to school or attending a club party.
you will get decapitated in public and have your head stuck on a pike if you are a ref that disagrees with parents about a local soccer game, fuck off with your shit-tier propaganda.

>What is it that the U.S. has that causes mass shootings that doesn't seem to cause it here?

A glorification of violence, America's history and modern pop culture is full people just shooting at their problems.

An over-saturation and normalization of firearms thanks to its corrupt industry and lobbyist organization. People in America collect weapons like they're toys and they also treat them like toys. What's crazy is that most people in America don't own a firearm, but the ones that do will often buy dozens of them and hundreds if not thousands of bullets.

So a lot of times when a mass shooting happens, if the kid or adult didn't just get the weapon legally or legitimately he just grabbed it out of his parent's closet where they leave it unlocked and fully loaded - cause in case feminists try to break into their house in the middle of the night and steal their video games or whatever the rationalizing is.

As a tourist? i guess if you're that paranoid just avoid extremely high-density populated areas.

Anyways this smell like Jow Forums bait and I'm sorry for even replying.

>they are extremely rare

businessinsider.com/how-many-mass-shootings-in-america-this-year-2018-2

>There have been nearly as many US mass shootings as days in 2018. (at the time of the article)

compared to ant other first world country, they are anything but rare.

You're just displaying your ignorance. Fortunately I don't believe all americans are like you.

I know english because I attended University in Jalisco and I'm a Medical Doctor here, so you should expect me to know english.

Thanks for the link.

We carry guns, guey.

>Why you guys haven't fixed that by now, if you're a first world country?

Lots of reasons. It's a complicated issue.

1) We have so many guns in the hands of private citizens already that no one can really come up with a feasible plan of disarming all of them. Something like 1 in 3 U.S. households have a gun. Last stat I saw said something like 120,000,000 guns in the U.S. or something.

2) Our country was founded on the idea of an citizenry being able to oppose it's government if need be and it's how we won our freedom from the Brits. Guns are intrinsic to the fabric of America and people and it's (arguably) protected by our country's constitution.

3) It's a HUGE business. I just told you how many guns there are. Consider that the average decent starter 9mm is in the $400-$500 and prices really go up from there, then you do the math.

4) Considering how many guns there are, we actually have relatively few mass shootings. Gun deaths as a whole is a different story, but when you talk about 1/3 of your country having a firearm, the random mass shooting news story once a month or so isn't all that much. The vast majority of gun owners are responsible about it.

5) People are (rightly) still arguing over what even causes mass shootings. One camp says it's the person committing the act that should be held responsible, the other camp says that it's a matter of what means of destruction we make publicly available to the potentially deranged individual in our midst. There's merit to both arguments.

6) Guns are fun. They're not toys, but that doesn't mean shooting isn't an enjoyable activity/hobby.

Attached: O1091.jpg (1024x696, 130K)

1) You don't want to go anywhere after 9pm without a gun.
2) Not to be racist or anything, but if you see a black guy, just do your best to avoid them.
3) Don't piss anyone off or say anything controversial. If someone sounds unhinged, just agree with them and try to get out of there.
There's always a chance you'll catch a stray bullet anywhere, though. You just kinda have to accept that, it's the price of being in the USA.

This. In the first place this thread is off-topic even with OP's veneer of "question". It belongs on if it's a genuine inquiry on how to stay safe in the US. But it's clearly not. It's a troll post that belongs on

>Why you guys haven't fixed that by now, if you're a first world country?
I mean, I'm not American, I was just pointing it out.
The answer is that the second amendment is deeply connected to American culture, especially in the south. It's like asking Canadians to give up maple syrup.

Fuck, those are sexy.

Ofc you do. Shit sells. 90% of "mass shootings" aren't mass at all. Two niggers shot in a bad drug deal is a """mass shooting""" now.

Come back to reality, vato.

>90% of "mass shootings" aren't mass at all.

did you read this in your daily NRA newsletter?

Low quality b8m8

I'm of Mexican descent. Parents are from Mexico. Monterrey to be exact. We stopped going almost a decade ago because of the violence, especially at the border.

Both of the countries are fucked but Mexico is even worse. Mass shootings are rare here. In Mexico you hear of cartels going into small towns and wiping them out. You cant have anything nice in mexico without the cartels having a piece of it and if you say no you're dead.

I'll take my chances with the mass shootings. I have my own guns, I'm not saying I'm going to go out and be a hero but I know in Mexico guns are illegal and harder for the average citizen to get them.

I love Mexico and plan to visit soon but come on man Mexico is 100x worse off than the U.S. The country is too far gone with corruption. The cartels are too big now and pretty much run the country. Sucks because Mexico is beautiful.

OP here, I actually thank you for your information, this is not a Jow Forums bait or troll post.

I find it funny that you guys find it hard to believe there's some mexican guy typing in english from some mexican city. But c'est la vie.

We also carry guns here, and illegally. Yet you won't hear about school shootings, club party mass murders and mall shootings. I'm legitimately trying to find out why the fuck does this happen at all. I find it very interesting.

Stay out of areas full of niggers and spics. It's not that hard.

I'm actually mexican and live in mexico, if this were a competition of who's more mexican between you and me I'd win so I probably know my country better than you do.

I know Mexico is a much worse place to live, I have already said it so before in this thread. We have a bunch of druglords doing whatever they want in our streets.

But you won't die in a mall or school, while in the US you're chances are much higher. I want to know why?

I've lived here my whole life in Jalisco man, I'm still alive so it's not like you're in the middle of the wild west here or something, I do believe southern states have it very bad tho.

>this is not a Jow Forums bait or troll post.

It's definitely out of place, you're not seeking advice you're just probably genuinely curious about gun violence in the US but it's still not a topic for Jow Forums.

The whole thread devolved into "the cartels eat babies and mass shootings are false flags done by Obama"

Sorry then, yes I'm genuiney interested in the topic, this is not me bashing americans or whatever. I already know my Mexico has it quite bad violence wise.

No, I looked at the statistics. Very few true mass shootings occur in a given year. For every ten "mass shootings" only three involve more than three victims and only one of them wasn't committed as part of another crime such as a drug deal or burglary gone bad. The myth that we have hordes of madmen gunning people down is just that. A myth.

>No, I looked at the statistics.

please share the statistics with the rest of the class

lmgtfy.com/mass_shootings_USA

>For every ten "mass shootings" only three involve more than three victims and only one of them wasn't committed as part of another crime such as a drug deal or burglary gone bad.

>90% of "mass shootings" aren't mass at all.

I don't see any of that.

From a Mexican POV, all of this is disheartening. If the U.S. can't control mass shootings and violence, then what hope there is for third world countries? This whole world is gone to shit and this is terribly interesting at the same time. Is it really about gun control? Mexico has weapons on it's streets too, killing people in its drug related wars, no mass shootings happening tho… could this be psychological or something? something to do with America's culture? perhaps high stress levels on individual everyday life?...

The only reason you don't have the random non gang massacres is because all your violent suicidals join cartels. We don't have those opportunities for our musguided.

haha, well that would explain some of our psycho's killing eachother instead of me in the mall. Maybe you guys in the US should get yourselves some drug cartels too?

Elliot Roger would have been a good Zeta

I bet he would, I Heard about that guy down here from Mexico.

See, that's what I'm talking about, we don't have mexican Elliot rodger over here, why do you guys get to have all the Alpha male psychos killing people in the streets because girls won't give them the time of day?

No, they prefer to join our friendly Zeta organization for the autistic and deranged individuals I guess you're right on that.

>all the Alpha male

Rodger was not Alpha, not even Beta, he was a flat-out Omega male which is the bottom of the pecking order.

He was also a rarity, in the sense that most incels don't just grab their dad's rifles and go off shooting women and jocks in the streets - even if they like to roleplay that shit on Jow Forums and youtube comments and whatever. Most of them are harmless little keyboard warriors.

Most of the whole incel thing is just the entitlement that comes with American culture. They demand and expect a girlfriend to just effortlessly come to them like Chinese food delivery or hamburger drive-thoughs. When they don't get a girlfriend, well that's just society's fault and absolutely not their own.

Let's be real though, if Roger thought there was an organization he could join that would make him a rich badass with tons of women, he'd be on that like yellow on Mexican rice and we'd be calling him El Guapo before the week is out. That was his whole thing. Money, status, women. The cartels provide all that and more, in the eyes of people like him.

Well that's why Americans join the army. I mean yeah they won't get rich but there is a major status symbol attached to it and the idea of military wives, you get to yell at people tou disagree with politically and say that you risked their lives for them because you were peeling potatoes on a ship for 5 years, etc. I guess he was too autistic to join or to be accepted.

I get where you're going with that, but I doubt Scarface was a marine.

hahaha

If you join the Mexican Army it's basically because you are a loser with no way to go to school and graduate ans have a normal life.

Meanwhile if you join the American Army you're basically a hero who everyone should pay respect, but at least the government pays you well enough (unlike the Mexican broke army) and you get to have a decent life at least.

I'm Mexican but yeah I must say Mexico sucks a lot compared with the US. I still live here because I have a relatively comfortable life and I like my people, they're very friendly and would get homesick in the US.

But yes, the US has my respect, great nation, I don't like the racist people, but I guess every country has it's own assholes.

Probably been said already but you have a lower chance of being in a "mass" shooting than being stuck by lightning. Don't find yourself in the ghetto and you won't have to deal with tyrone trying to rob you with his Hi Point. Ez stuff. Take the media with a grain of salt.

>Probably been said already but you have a lower chance of being in a "mass" shooting than being stuck by lightning.

It's probably said often because it sounds comforting while not being true at all.

What was the stupid inflated number the media trots out, like 230 a year?

I'm pretty sure that this is a bait post, but I'll take it anyway.
The rise of "mass shootings" in the US is due to issues we have with our society in the US, not because of "muh guns." Firearms have have been a defining part of the US since we became independent, and we have only gotten stricter and stricter on gun control since that point. However, despite these continuous restrictions, the violence continues to rise. I don't even remember any school shootings before 2010 except for Columbine and that one girl that shot at an elementary school from her window using a hunting rifle.

262 so far this year

>inflated
>'mass'

what did you mean by this?

>I don't even remember any school shootings before 2010 except for Columbine and that one girl that shot at an elementary school from her window using a hunting rifle.

oh well if you don't remember any then it's fine

1. For at least some of the more recent shootings i.e Parkland, Sutherland Springs, Jacksonville, most would have been preventable if the feds had been doing their job. I think the main issue, for at least these cases, result from the lack of a true national data base that the feds can be used for background checks. The Air Force never let the other agencies know about the Sutherland Spring’s shooter’s domestic violence history. This automatically bars you from access to a firearm.
2. In my opinion, sensationalization of these mass shooters in the mainstream media also encourages these broken individuals to act out violently. Many religiously read up on notorious American mass shooters, which were made known by the media. I also think that they use the media to be heard. The Parkland shooter, Elliot Rodger, etc were often times rejected and bullied by their classmates. I think it is quite possible that they acted out on their frustrations to let their story be known to the rest of the world.
3. With the closings of the mental asylums in the 80’s due to the inhumane treatment of their patients, many of these people who do not belong in society roam among us.
4. The United States has about 85% of the world’s civilian owned firearms. Some weapon related mishaps are bound to happen.
5. The media often miscontrue the number of mass shooters by redefining what a mass shooting is, oftentimes ignoring the federal definition to promote certain agendas.

>promote certain agendas.

like not letting crazy people own guns?

>mishaps

whoops accidentally shot up a school while sneezing

Current gun legislation prevents “crazy people” from owning guns. When I said mishaps, I am talking about all firearm related incidents.

International media coverage is kind of overblown.

Yes, this is a serious issue and these incidents are increasingly frequent here, but your chances of dying in much less even experiencing this kind of incident are roughly equivalent to your chance of dying from being struck by lightning.

>like not letting crazy people own guns?

Yeah you legally can't go hunt deer with your family if you have ADHD but some asshole who isn't crazy but wants to rob a bank can get his hands on a boom stick.

It's not an anti-gun law, it's a law that discriminates against people who aren't neurotypicals by denying them a constitutional right

2nd Amendment text in English: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

In Spanish: Siendo necesaria una Milicia bien regulada para la seguridad de un Estado libre, el derecho del pueblo a poseer y portar Armas, no será infringido.

The first ten amendments, collectively called the Bill of Rights, are seen as sacrosanct, akin to the 10 commandments. They're the supreme law of the land.

The cost of having freedom is also enabling the freedom of crazy and vengeful individuals to buy arms to commit mass murders. There's no effective preventative measure against that, except for banning them like other "first world countries." The reason they seem to be getting a lot of media attention lately is precisely for that reason -- the anti-gun movement uses every gun shooting as a rallying cry to ban them "not again!" The U.S. has always had gun violence, the only difference between 1918 and 2018 is that we have internet and 24/7 news now. Oh, and our violence level is actually at the lowest it's ever been, so that's another difference between now and a century ago.

You're more likely to be struck by lightning several times in a row, then you are to be killed by a mass shooter. You are statistically way more likely to be killed crossing a street or driving a car here. Are you anxious about those things too?

Stay home, amigo, where it's nice and safe. So safe in fact that you have to watch your back from muggers all the time, and there's 50/50 chance a taxi will kidnap you.

--Chicano

>this isn't bait despite the title
>proceeds to lay out some weak bait
I sorta wish this wasn't. That way when I call you a fucking dirty spic who should stay in your own shithole country with the rest of the beaners and wetbacks we sent back it would actually describe you. But you're just some dumb faggot white kid.

The chances of you being involved in a mass shooting are ridiculously low. The definitions of a mass shooting are purposefully made vague so that news groups over here can make scary headlines because it brings in tons of revenue. The problem is specifically overblown to be used as a talking point by anyone running for public office. In other nations where guns are much more restricted than the US, they also overblow our gun problems here to specifically use as a sort of boogeyman so politicians there can continue to say "See how much better our policy is?"

Dont visit dangerous cities like Boston or Detroit and you'll be fine OP.

just don't dress like you've got a ton of money and nobody will try to rob you. be cool, don't walk alone at night, don't go to public schools during class hours, you're fine.

>There's no effective preventative measure against that, except for banning them like other "first world countries."

>"first world countries."

oh boy that chip on your shoulder, what are you mad cause other "first world countries" have "universal healthcare" where the people there can "afford" going to the "hospital"?

Mutts like calling Mexico a shithole but Mexico has actually a lower rate of homicide than USA.

Just, no