Useless Majors

What are some of the more useless majors you've heard of, and why do American parents allow their children to major in them (considering how tough the job market is)?

I knew a Latina woman studying critical theory in children's literature. That's right, she was going to college to read kid's books.

How do we stop the madness?

Attached: il_570xN.651919455_b16d.jpg (570x950, 141K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2001/08/28/us/first-school-of-astrology-is-accredited.html
cantrip.org/gatto.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What are some of the more useless majors you've heard of
All of them
College is a scam

Useful to whom?

you need some degree (doesn't matter what its in so much) to get ANY decent job in the U.S. Any job an adult should be doing, besides blue collar shit which is an option I guess but you'll be working much harder for the pay and permanently damaging your body.

this is far and away the most useless major. prove me wrong:
First School Of Astrology Is Accredited
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSAUG. 28, 2001

Continue reading the main storyShare This Page
Tweet
Email
More
Save
A school here in suburban Phoenix, where students learn to write horoscopes and give advice about the future, has won accreditation from a federally recognized body, in what is believed to be a first for a school of astrology.

The accreditation of the school, the Astrological Institute, will allow it to seek approval from the Department of Education for its students to get federal grants and loans.

nytimes.com/2001/08/28/us/first-school-of-astrology-is-accredited.html

Any major without right wing fraternity is useless. Education is useless in general, when things come to knowledge. It is just an elaborate IQ and personality tests.

Any major with right wing fraternity is worth it.

The only point in producing useless majors is to produce soririties and fraternities of whores and cucks, that are controlled by professors, not by tradition or community. And then let them lose on the right people on campus.

Do not expect any knowledge from any major. It is purely community and politics. You just go places, where people otherwise interested in topic meet. You do not have to motivate them to act upon their passion.

any arts degree, even economics. do a trade

anything not STEM or a trade. Even trades are iffy, machinists and a few other trades were all the rave and they were completely replaced by machines so be weary.

I don't think you need college for intellectual development in this era... But in order to have a job most people need some post-secondary, unless you opt for technical school which is still technically a college.
I'd say least useful to themselves and the advancement of society. My example was useless at best, destructive at worst.

An industrial economy requires different training than a post-industrial or service economy. The universities were designed for the former. Under the latter unis are usury schemes and effectively useless to would-be students. The internet only compounds the problem and accelerates immanent disaster.

Everything social sciences and arts.

>I don't think you need college for intellectual development in this era..
You never did. Anyone that sought after intellectual development had a free range of books, journals, and textbooks.

Your parents read far more intellectually driven stuff than you have.

It doesn't matter what you major in as long as you have an idea of how to use it. But in order to do that, you need to put in some hard, smart work.

Granted, they weren't designed to impart knowledge. So understand that their purpose was more like Gatto said: cantrip.org/gatto.html Essentially, training in slavish monotony.

I'm about to pick my major after bumming a couple years at a CC. I've narrowed things down to a couple of choices.

>Political Science (I wouldn't mind think tank work)
>Anthropology (Would do to maybe get a leg into gov work)
>Psychology (Clinical or research psychology doesn't seem too bad. Maybe advertising)
>Geology (More marketable/flexible than other STEM fields I could do)
>Maybe Biology. Micro or Marine.
>Speech Language Pathology (Would deal with kids, need masters, but pays well)

I dunno what the fuck I want to do. Have a passion for the humanities, but it would lead to a dead-end academic landscape or a desk job.

Any advice, Jow Forums? Or should I just fuck on into the military?

Nearly all of them are if you have no connections in the industry prior to starting your studies.

yeah networking is more important than anything these days. much more important than actually knowing what you study

>Political Science
>Anthropology
>Psychology
>Geology
>Maybe Biology. Micro or Marine.
>Speech Language Pathology

Do you even want to make money tier. Just join the military.

Bet she is hideous without all the warpaint.

Get into petroleum geology m88

You'll not want to go that route. If you have a passion, stuff it as though it's a sexual paraphilia or loathsome addiction. Do it in your off time if you must, but don't let it interfere with your real life. The humanities pose a number of intractable questions and besides that university departments are overrun with political revolutionaries who will fuck you up the ass to suit one of their pet mongs. Just don't.

I've thought that Geology was a safe major .But apparently job stability is affected by oil prices too much and entry-level jobs aren't as good as one might initially glean.

It concerns me.

You don’t need a degree in petroleum engineering or geology to work for a major oil producer. I went to school and got a bachelors in applied physics. Got a job as an engineer trainee at Halliburton. Made decent money for 3 years then went to work for Continental Resources for 5 years and now I’m working for Shell doing 4week FIFOs in the North Sea.

Engineering, Finance, Medicine, maybe a professional degree like Law or the MBA. Anything other than that will take so long and cost so much, not to mention be a risk due to the prevailing sociopolitical climate, that you may not make it all the way. And if you don't, you'll get fucking NOTHING for however much you invested. Zero. Your life will be worse than it ever was prior.

>Bet she is hideous without all the whorepaint.
ftfy

People will always need oil. I'm considering petroleum geology. If I get laid off because we stop producing oil (not likely to happen) or the prices drop, I'll be in the same boat I am now so it can't hurt to try.

If industrial society wasn’t alienating enough, we also live in an atomic age that is now post-industrial. But the internet accelerating the pace of change isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The internet, as a platform, lets us distribute red pills without having to do something like bombing something to get a message across to normal people.

Aren't there plenty of new age retards who pay money for personal horoscopes and stuff like that?

The spread of these redpills can only end in bombing. The message isn't getting through to elites or NPCs.

You’re not working at a think tank with a bachelors. You need an impressive resume and advanced degrees from absolute top tier schools. Anthropology is useless you are a fucking idiot if you do that. Geology is good, you could get into surveying with that which entails being outside. It’s good work, I wish I had done it.

Get a major you can be employed in even if you go into the military. You want a marketable skill to fall back on because many people get forced out before they get their 20.

Lol ok that's pretty bad...Some of the soft majors are like this, but what about STEM ones?
I agree. I have a young child and hopefully another soon, so I'm interested in what the solutions to this should be.
This is true, the internet makes access easier but also distraction easier, actually buying classics is better.
Kids aren't that bad, I was in education for a while. Teaching has good job security, though the university classes have a lot of leftist bullshit.

Do you make a lot of shekels? Like 6 figures?

Then what will post-post-industrial civilization look like?

Business Management

>>Geology (More marketable/flexible than other STEM fields I could do)
>>Maybe Biology. Micro or Marine.
Perhaps the army would justify you doing geology and the navy you doing marine biology or something. Perhaps I'm just talking out of my ass.

That's complicated by machine learning, war on the horizon, the ubiquity of artificial jobs, globalism, and so on. Hopefully we'll get bombed back to the stone age and start to live like human beings. But watch globalism prevail, transhumanism become a thing, depopulation become a thing. No idea. I will be dead.

In terms of education, however, it will not be a question of rote memorization and recitation because we'll be integrated with information delivery and translation services. We may even cease to be individual selves, instead becoming more like bees or ants. Your guess is as good as mine.

Suffice it to say, it's clear to me, even with our primitive technology, that the university system is obsolete in terms of its utility. Its status is dependent upon tradition or culture or something.

All majors are useless. College is just high school 2.0 at this point.

If you want a degree that will reliably get you a good job, you'll have to go to graduate school.

Major Boner.

Geology

Then go make bank working for natural gas company

>Engineering disciplines needing a master's degree

Literally a waste of time. 2 years experience is way more valuable than a master's degree unless you want to be a professor. That's the ONLY exception.

There are no useless degrees; only useless people. If you demonstrate competence in your field you can do whatever.
All you spiteful memers trying to discredit art, literature, history, philosophy, etc. are the leftists of yesteryear btw. The fact that there are more idiots in the humanities doesn't mean the humanities are 'useless.'

It functions more as an ascribed status with a degree of prestige in an economic system that doesn’t require formal education to be successful as much as it requires ideas and strategy.

There are economically useless degrees. Employers rarely see an applicant as an asset to the business based upon a diversity of intellectual interests. They aren't collecting interesting personalities but running a company that ordinarily requires X skillset.

There is much value in the humanities, at least traditional humanities and not "studies" humanities, as in art, though it is arguable that neither one of those disciplines are forms of calcified conceptual doctrine. But today the money is mostly flowing into information technology, finance, and construction. How can you explain to an HR cunt that your degree in literature is useful for more than low level administrative work?

This doesn't get talked about much but I've heard athletes in college talking about being in sports team management degrees, which sounds like some pipe dream sold to dumb kids as a back up plan just in case they somehow don't go pro.

Attached: 1409328569617.gif (214x273, 2M)

Right. And it's far too expensive for only serving only that purpose. It is truly obsolete.

you cant go wrong learning a trade

I knew someone who took out more than $250k in student loans to get a PhD in art history from University of Florida.

Women's studies
Animal studies
I'd rather believe in Mercury and Mars than in women and intersectionality for birbs

The world will always need engineers and doctors.

I know someone studying "class struggle in European literature"

most people I know with useless degrees have zero guidance uneducated parents. shitluck

Part of the problem is that, with a PhD, often times even when you finish your coursework your dissertation is only beginning and they force you to continue borrowing money to pay for 6 graduate credits indefinitely, until you complete the research and get it through a committee. When I did mine it took 2 extra years because they kept me so busy during the three years of coursework that there was no time whatsoever to prepare even a prospectus let alone a proper dissertation. Some of my fellow grad students are still there after 5 years, working some little job on campus or near campus and going to class, borrowing money and trying to get it up so they can finally leave.

The real reason you go to university is not for the degree, you go there to:

(A) network
And
(B) learn how to market yourself.

You can get a very prestigious position with basically any degree, as long as you did A and B during your studies. I know people with meme-tier humanity degrees that secured great careers at banks, government departments and big corporations this way.

Fuck STEM. You need to continue your education beyond a Bachelor’s to make real number.

dump populace malleable

The major problem is that these fields have been corrupted by people with an agenda.
With what end goal? That is a massive loan. If he ends up a high paid professor it might justify it...

And this is one of the ways in which children tend to wind up in the same socioeconomic class (ceteris paribus) as their parents regardless of how much education they receive or what "improvements in the environment."

I could imagine something like a masters medieval art history would be pretty useless.
You would do better for yourself to get an undergrad in basket weaving or pottery than that.

Attached: hipsterbarista.jpg (236x349, 20K)

bawhahahaha

HR cunts have the luxury of being so discriminating because everyone who graduated high school with straight C's expects to attend college for something they have no interest in. The bloated university system ought to be ripped up and reorganized, so that we can maintain the ability of prospctive employees to receive what essnetially amounts to job training, while keeping universities as centers of learning for those who are worthy and wanting to actually learn. Oh and cut all school sports.

Most people who wind up with a BA in some humanities subject and plan on grad school are going to try and go all the way because it's all or nothing.

They don't even seem to mind the high probability that they'll be lucky to wind up working as adjunct faculty at two or three schools for a decade, finally achieve associate professor after much publication, schmoozing, and luck, or not, by two decades, and maybe by the third--at last--get tenure only to make 60k or 70k lecturing to a bunch of dumbfucks and having to read all their worthless writings. Misery.

But learning a trade doesn’t require universities. If anything, the function of universities and graduates are to do the proof work of theories and their implementation by amateurs and tradesmen who recurved their training under the older system of apprenticeship and masterhood.

So long as no one's blaming young people for not being born with the skills employers are unwilling to invest in.

I don't think you actually need college to get a job, but in practice it seems to be that way because there aren't many reasonable alternatives

>Start working
At the time you are considering going to college you're most likely in your final year of high school. At that point you probably have little to no connections in the workforce and are probably too young and immature to make them on your own. And even if you do, many employers would probably prefer to hire a guy in his early to mid twenties then a guy in his late teens because they are probably more reliable and professional.

>go travel
reasonable idea, but doing this for more than one year is a waste of time and money. So after a year you're back in the same position.

>become a neet
Basically like throwing your years away. Does not look good on your resumé as it signals no ambition and willpower. Any employer would prefer somebody who went to college, even in completely unrelated fields, over somebody who just shitposted for 4 years.

Basically, I think that if you did something noteworthy in your time that you could have spend in college, employers would be willing to hire you as well, but since high school students aren't prepared to do anything besides going to college, nobody is doing that, which means that most non-college grads are neets and dropouts.

Also I don't think that we should thrash the idea of going to college for personal or intellectual development. I agree that college right now is a shit environment, but it could be much better and even in this shitty state with college you can still improve yourself in ways that you couldn't without college.

*received

Would probably be better if we could get to a point where we don't depend so much on globohomo corporate employment, where small businesses can survive and be fitted to the communities they exist to serve.

Credentialism is really their fuckup. A lot of young people come out of k-12 knowing school is bullshit and aren't itching to get back in until they meet the corporate gatekeepers.

I know someone with over 150 in debt for communications who failed law school in the first year.
He is almost homeless

This is what's frustrating! In other countries, companies are willing to take people with pretty random degrees and then just train them. They won't train anyone here, you have to come in with 5 years experience and a very specific degree.

What's your PhD in my nigga
I'm going in for my master's in history and wondering if it's worth it to go all the way

Exactly this. Most jobs should not require a degree to do. That is just the simple fact. Many of these places would not have to fill their ranks with fake-degree pajeets otherwise.

They also have the bad habit or requiring management experience for entry level management positions.

I once walked past a classroom at my university and I think the course was like a Women's/Gender studies course.

I saw "male privilege" written on the whiteboard. Fair to say it was probably a useless degree course.

Mine's in a useless field. History of Science with a BA in Philosophy. I always wanted to be a teacher, simply put.

The Master's in history will not be kind to you unless you know someone who can put you to use. The PhD isn't kind either.

Don't necessarily take my word for it though. I'm a crip and I don't get out there and hustle for opportunities like I used to.

Fpbp

My school had a little one year postbacc you could do at undergrad tuition prices in Accounting. You'd do that one year and then test for a CPA license.

Had I to do it over, or were I not here with one foot in the grave, I think I would go and grab one of those as a matter of course. Then at least I could do tax prep in my living room in cash and improve my situation at least slightly. Or if I were well enough I'd, you know, at least make 25/hr or something better than what is the norm around here, about 15/hr.

If you do biology, it has to be applied biology: ie medicine. There are a ton of great medical careers that aren't either a nurse or an MD. Ultrasound, rad tech, nuke med, etc etc

How's neuroscience?

They're all shit tier of which 13 million are printed each year. The degree vs actual job ratio is backing up.
Lock yourself in a pitch black room without distraction for a day and learn to listen to your brain.

emotional histoy which is based upon the assumption that "emotions are learned" which is kinda contradicting with the existence of neurotransmitters and drug addicts

t. brainlet

anyone who tells you that STEM is bs is either a lazy nigger who never worked a day in their life or some rich prick who lives off mom and dads charity.

someone in the know ANSWER ME!!!!!!! pls

Wrong. Sure what you study in college is probably going to be useless, I know my CS degree (or at least the coursework compared to what I'm learning on lambda/MIT free courseware) will be.

The real value in college is the connections you make. How do you think the white upper middle class stays so solid through numerous generations?
>High-end public school in nice area of Private school for high school
>Major in random field in college
>Pledge a fraternity
>Build a network
>Find job from one of your brothers' dads
>Rise up the ranks thanks to nepotism
Greek life in university is a genuine way to practice the 14 words, and I mean that in the most serious way possible. The networks on can build through other rich white families is what keeps us on top.

Attached: ka3 (1).jpg (640x622, 100K)

In all honesty, it's any major where the primary field of employment for people with that degree is teaching the subject of said degree. It's not that transmitting knowledge that may not be easily commodified isn;t worth it at all, but if you're looking for a way to provide for yourself and a family, those degrees are basically worthless.

Stupid rich kids have money to spend... colleges love money...

Had a job before I even graduated with an accounting degree. It's not going to make you super wealthy (unless you can become partner at a firm or CFO at a company), but it's easy to be making 100k after 10 years of employment or less, if you play your cards right.

Graduated with less than 10k in debt and live a comfy life.

not sure of this is bait but if anyone who's dumb enough to listen to you deserves the consequences

Anything else besides STEM is a waste.

In Sweden degrees have become pretty useless at this point. Most people refuse to believe it and find out the hard way.

Since education is free here there's no point.

If you want to get into petroleum geology you’ll need to a masters for most employers to consider you. Now that prices have shit themselves it’s EXTREMELY competitive trying to get into operations geology jobs. If you are just starting out you basically commit for 6 years, so hopefully the price goes up and there’s better job prospects. Or you can get a BS and become a mudlogger, which sucks ass since you’ll be exposed to the elements but it’s great experience nonetheless.

Even community college is better than a four year university, because community colleges are also trade schools

Hm. Good point.
Nice...