OCD, Anxiety, Depression, DP/DR

>OCD, Anxiety, Depression, DP/DR
>Considering Sertraline

Has this actually helped anyone?

Attached: wrhg.png (1005x561, 173K)

Only take medicine that prescribed and monitored by a doctor/therapist. The problem is that people react differently to different drugs. It could make it worse.

Modern medicine doesn't work because it only treats the symptoms not the cause itself.

Thoughts are able to transmute physical reality

Sertraline did a lot of good for me. This past January felt like one long panic attack. Started sertraline in the spring. Last month I got a job some place I have always wanted to work. I would have been able to apply and get the position without the medicine.
Had to find the right dose before it felt alright thou.

My wife was literally transformed from a person who aimed for rock bottom, and punched the gas, who almost lost her husband, kids, job, etc. to the decent person I fell in love with long ago. But as others have mentioned, this medication could be a miracle for some, and the grand finale for others. Good luck.

I have a psychotherapist and a psych doc, and, given that I choose to try the meds, would be closely monitored, so no problem there.

Maybe it could provide a boost in motivation to do permanent changes to my life that will benefit me in the long run so that I can come off the meds. I get your point though.

Did you have any side effects when getting on it? My anxiety is all about sleeping, not being able to fall asleep after having a terrible experience on psychedelics, so anything that can cause insomnia / increase anxiety is frowned upon by me.

Thank you for your input, glad to hear it worked for her.

I recommend working out 30 minutes 3 times a week to cut your depression symptoms down by 25% according to the most recent studies. I'm on an antidepressant.

>Thoughts are able to transmute physical reality.
What do you mean by that?

It's probably some energetic buddhist bullshit

>some sugar pills are gonna make or break you
nah dude. your wife’s choices were her own.

It does for me.
I feel more energized, more focused and determent. Though the first few weeks were a bit pain with nausea and irritability and ruined appetite, but that was only because it takes time for the body to adapt to the medicine. If you feel fatigued, hopeless and anxious or in a OCD cycle, I suggest you talk to your doctor about it. He will most likely prescribe you Sertraline.

SSRI's are fucking awful never take them.

>Did you have any side effects when getting on it?
I you have to be very lucky not to experience some side effects. Lower sex drive and delayed ejaculation have been the most invasive side effects for me.

I have issues with sleep as well, and sertraline does nothing for me in that regard. I could see how someone could experience anxiety when starting on the medication. I was so pacified by my depression, that getting more dopamine and such in my brain made me feel super amped.

My doc want to put me on Mirtazapine, cause it helps sleepin. But I'm staying on sertraline as long as it's making me feel so balanced as it does now.

What other options are there? Older generation antidepressants? Limited use of benzos and opioids (ive been doing this)?

Working out, as others have mentioned, help to to forget about all the bullshit, even if its just for a few hours. Cold / hot showers work well for my
dissociative feelings / derealisation.

What makes you say that?

Those are side effects I wouldn't really mind.. of course, only if it somewhat helps all the symptoms I mentioned.

Thought are created first then transferred to physical reality.

Not SSRI poster but I'll add my own experience.

Spent 5 years on SSRI's. Went through 7 over the period with each lasting between 3-6 months. None of them helped and my matters have gotten worse. Doctors will use 'depression' and SSRI's as a blanket diagnosis instead of actually trying to figure out if you've always had issues or are only recently experiencing them.

My whole left I've felt damaged, unable to keep up, etc but most of my family is like that so i figured it was normal. Hitting 25 this year and after being diagnosed with ADHD and treat with all stimulants over past 2 years its become clear the issue is far more severe than anticipated. That my confusion, inability ot conctentrate, be attentive at all, poor memory, etc has and will always continue to impact my life and ability to be content is now simply too much to handle.

Those 5 years spent on SSRI's would have been better spent trying to figure out if I had an underlying issue. If I or a psych couldnt come to that realisation then ssris, sure.

They were a drug made when we believed depression was just or mostly serotonin based. Studies have changed our views on that but the general public arent informed about it as its still very complicated and we have no other medications for it bar stimulants and anti-psychs and they arent particularly healthy for anybody.

To add to this. If you come to the conclusion that it is just depression and that you were different before (dont let your innate bias cloud that, we all FEEL better before. try and find specific memories ,etc to prove that) then exercise, spending time doing things you enjoy etc will get you out of your funk.

Matter off fact, I've been on methylphenidate / concerta for 8 years, all due to adhd, basically stimulants calm me down and help me focus instead of having a recreational effect. On top of that I'm diagnosed with aspergers.

My psych doctor knows about my history and is fairly open to any kind of drug I suggest, I've tried pregabalin and opipramol so far. Opipramol being some kind of EU exclusive drug, think it's not even approved for use anywhere else.

Pregabalin does work for my DP/DR, depression and anxiety but causes depression and suicidal thoughts in the long run.. fun.

Honestly I wish there was some kind of opioid based antidepressant that wouldn't cause addiction and tolerance issues, they are the only class of drugs that have worked really well for me so far. I've felt like a kid again, with no worries at all, literally the best I've felt in a long long time..

Also, pretty sure it's depression, even though its hard for me to tell.

I think negatively about myself and everyone around me, start crying over the most stupid shit, etc.

I think all of us with this same subset of symptoms - Anxiety, poor memory, 'depression', poor attention, dp/dr. Likely suffer the same issue but it's one that is often diagnosed as ADHD-PI and not what it truly is.

Based on the narrowing of search fields in regards to my symptoms and how I have reacted to each medication I think i may be a bit closer to figuring things out. But I'm at the end of my rope. If the current line of thought I'm on doesn't pan out then that's it. I've suffered with this for too long and see only a miserable future ahead.

Question - Is one of your parents an addict / alcoholic or drug addict? Or has clear generalised anxiety and is a smoker?

You say you think negatively about yourself and others around you. I use to do that too. I, for most of my teenage years believed that these issues were because of a psychological reason and not a genetic/physiological one. I've since dealt with the petty 'psychological' reasons I had to be 'depressed' and realised i just naturally feel like this. My brain just tried to find 'meaning' for my suffering and picked something that was a clear basic issue at the time. I actually think that's all the ego really is now. Underlying physiological feeling using language to 'protect' itself. What is it that makes you think negatively about yourself (I'm ignoring others because if you hate yourself you will hate others) You should really question if those reasons are truly your source of misery or if its actually just a symptom.

But thoughts are created from physical reality.

Thought is born of experience and knowledge, and there is nothing sacred whatsoever about thought. Thinking is materialistic, it is a process of matter. And we have relied on thinking to solve all our problems in ourselves and in our relationships. Our brains, our minds, are conditioned, educated to solve problems. Thinking has created problems and then our minds are trained to solve them with more thinking. All problems are created, psychologically and inwardly, by thought.

>Our brains, our minds, are conditioned, educated to solve problems.
What is the difference between brain and mind? If there is one.

>Thinking has created problems and then our minds are trained to solve them with more thinking.
And this is how OCD is created. Too much thinking is one of the worst things you can do. It can give a great analytic brain able to solve complicated problems or concentrate in little details that could be good to get a good job but if you don't use it well then you become obsessed and OCD appears and then you become literally a mentally ill person.

Thinking doesn't create physiological problems. It simply labels them. We mistake that problem for the real one.

Stress on the other hand does create real problems and that comes from 'thought' in some aspects but not completely. Have a less binary view on this. It's both but thought itself stems from yours and others biology/physiology.

Personally I don't think there is a difference between brain and mind. We just think there is because of language. Does a cat think so, a monkey? No. Our brains are more 'advanced' in some senses but we arrgoantly think we are vastly superior. It's a minor upgrade over the mammal brain that allows for abstract thought. Which is what helped us create language. We now use that to create problems we don't need solved. We think problems exist psychologically when its just physiology.

>We think problems exist psychologically when its just physiology.
All that exists is in our minds user. I see what you say but I don't totally agree. For example, an schizophrenic person that hears voices in his head, isn't that only in his mind?

There's no difference. The mind is the brain.

Thought is born from a person's biology? Can you explain the connection between the two? Maybe thinking doesn't create all physiological problems, but you can't deny that thoughts can affect you physically. If someone calls me ugly my brain is translating that into something unpleasant and creates a physical feeling. The thought itself, of feeling ugly, isn't something biological, it's something that stems from conditioning of your mind to believe that being ugly is equal to something bad and unpleasant.

The schizophrenic is hearing his thoughts and isn't able to separate the thought from reality. It's a problem of the psyche and has little to do with his physiology, imo.

History of drug abuse, if you want to call it that, is present in my family yes, but no addiction - my parents used to smoke a lot of pot over the years, still do occasionally. Not sure if and how that contributed to some of my disorders - in general, drug use during pregnancy increasing the rate of developmental disorders, as proven by some studies, doesn't sound too illogical to me - maybe that explains part of my / our (?) quite unique brain chemistry.

Pot was a major trigger for me though, it never really made me "high", I mean yes, it did, but not in a particularly pleasurable way - until one day, where hell broke loose and it messed me up, until this day.

I just despise humans in general and think about us as some kind of failed species.. I can't really explain why but to me it's incredibly depressing just seeing the masses live and die, generation after generation. Nobody really makes an impact on anything. Stupid, idiotic people everywhere I look, falling for the system, chasing after materialistic gains, living for worthless goals.

I honestly don't see a point in it all, and I'm honestly curious if after all, there is a way for me to find salvation and be happy.

At the moment I'm not seeing it, the past few weeks have been especially bad, I would have never considered medication but at this point, I might aswell, since it can't get much worse.

I did a 180 after started taking it

I got put on Sertraline a couple years ago and it was honestly awful, it became impossible to orgasm no matter how fucking hard i tried. It was kind of cool at the beginning because it would make you have this quaking orgasm. But it REALLY muted my feelings a lot and now it is hard to really know what i am feeling. It definitely got rid of some of the mini-panic attacks etc but i honestly don't the new way i feel.

that poster is a schizophrenic who should be on zoloft

There is someone with OCD here?

You don't know what you're talking about.

and some schizo can separate that thought, btw. Actually a high % can until their brain deteriorates further in life.

Both idiots. Those voices are from extremely high levels of d2 receptors and low levels of dopamine. It's essentially disassociation of thought due to low dopamine but with lots of associations due to the d2 receptors.

The route I was going down was DRD2 gene A1 variation. Low level of d2 receptors. Most alocoholics and drug addicts have it. There are other variations like this that aren't as bad. That one causes a 30% reduction in d2 family receptors so even with enough dopamine your brain is still absent.

Also

> I just despise humans in general and think about us as some kind of failed species.. I can't really explain why but to me it's incredibly depressing just seeing the masses live and die, generation after generation. Nobody really makes an impact on anything. Stupid, idiotic people everywhere I look, falling for the system, chasing after materialistic gains, living for worthless goals.

I use to think that too. Still drop into that thought from time to time. You are choosing to see it as a negative because you are human and you have been brought up with higher expectations (religion or secular 'hero worship' like most of the stories we were brought up on.. beowulf, spiderman, etc) It's an idealistic view of the world. We are animals not unlike the cats, dogs, apes, etc we think are stupid but cute and interesting. All of these 'negative' patterns are simply base animal behaviours. Don't apply your emotion (your physiology, you feel pain/anxious all the time but you attribute it to thought instead of chemicals) to the external.

I'm not saying not to try medication. It can certainly work but don't put all of your hopes into the first one you try. Think of it as an experiment.

You tell a doc you have depression and they will give you the most common SSRI which will likely only focus on serotonin. If that doesn't work it likely isnt a serotonin issue but theyll want you to try others that do the same.

If you have ADHD (PI or hyper?) then its likely you have naturally high anxiety which often is considered to be above average levels of noradrenaline - the fight or flight hormone and not enough dopamine to keep you positive whilst feeling stressed (simplification).

or like me you might go through all of these medications and whilst the ones that lowered noradrenaline or increased dopamine helped slightly it wasnt even a 5% improvement. Narrows down the search area for a better drug though.

and before anybody says I should focus more on exercising, etc to feel better. I do. 5 times a week most weeks, a mixture of cardio and strength. Diet is great. I try and focus on hobbies even though i get no enjoyment from them and have reduced playing games, etc.

ADHD + Hyperactivity for me, it's not as bad as it used to be but my memory is still pretty bad, I've got no motivation at all, stuff gets boring quickly, stuff that is fun to others is no fun to me, etc.

Honestly very hard to judge for me what is normal and what is not, since I've been living with this shit for all my life.

I've tried St. Johns Wort preparations (the "good" ones with standardized hyperforin, etc) and, while it did help with depression, at least I believe it did, I had all kinds of weird side effects so I had to stop.

The stuff made me super amped up at times, and, it made my OCD worse I believe, to this day.

Not sure what to think of that, hyperforin inhibits the reuptake of all kinds of neurotransmitters though, interesting substance but not for me sadly.

Having pretty high hopes for SSRI's though, gonna start Sertraline as soon as my Diazepam arrives.

Haven't read most of the thread yet, but I can say first of all that you should NEVER take any meds without being under the supervision of a psychiatrist.

Second thing is, every med works differently on every human being. There is no universal receipt for success in this matter, nor any human is not similar enough to make 100% correct categories.

Third of all, I had Zoloft as the first one, was also the worst one. I just felt like a real shit in my case. I had literally no energy to live while taking it, had headaches, wanted to vomit every morning etc. Now I'm taking Servenon which actually has helped me to get out of from deep depression to strong transitional one but I'm stopped at it for half a year already. Hope that psychologist will be able to help me out soon since I started going to her some time ago.

Attached: 18301011_793201034178780_4979276032795210925_n.jpg (230x255, 16K)