Has anyone on here done any EMT classes or work...

Has anyone on here done any EMT classes or work? I work around construction sites a lot and I'd like to be able to react in an emergency if one happened. It seems like really useful stuff to know, even if you don't want to be an EMT as a job.

Attached: bringing-out-the-dead-nicolas-cage-1108x0-c-default.jpg (1108x831, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

emtlife.com/threads/duty-to-act-info.5673/
inpublicsafety.com/2014/03/duty-to-act-legal-obligations-vs-community-expectations/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

just learn advanced first aid, it's enough to give people a significantly higher chance to survive once professionals arrive.

I've been fortunate in never having to react to an emergency situation thus far and I hope it stays that way, that being said I've seen the aftermath plenty when things don't work out.

-pathologist

Attached: 1523534602793.jpg (960x916, 54K)

I just finished up a wilderness first responder course, a 90 hour job that was mostly about how to stabilize people until help comes. It was good, but it was a lot of breezing past topics and ignoring important medical issues by saying "we're dealing with what you would have on hand without medical supplies, that person would just need to be evacuated". It was good, but I want to do more.

OP, dont worry about getting an EMT cert., that opens you up to legal shit and other stuff you dont want.

Just do advanced first aid.

if you don't already have one build out an ifak and keep it handy. that is what will save lives if you are in a situation.

My wife went to school for 4 or 5 months three days a week and got a degree for it. She ended up in pharmacy but says she is still glad she did it. In NC that's all you need to do to become an EMT. For the reasons you have, it is 100% a good thing to do. The training I got when I became a firearm instructor is a little different. More trauma wounds, tourniquets, ect. Similar to what a combat medic gets just not as detailed but more just enough training to keep the person alive to get to a hospital.

Do not get emt license. Do not become an emt. The pay is shit. Advanced first aid is all you would realistically be able to provide before ems is on scene.

The first time you actually use it in an emergency though, holy shit the rush is intense afterwards.

I don't intend to become an EMT, I just hate to think that someday I might not know a simple set of rules for keeping someone alive who would otherwise die with me there.

Fuck taking EMT. Take first aid and look for a Stop The Bleeding class. In your line of work, you will never use the majority of the EMT skills.

learn cpr, splinting, and hemostasis. that's all you can do absent specialized equipment.

>that opens you up to legal shit and other stuff you dont want

How so? Is it the duty to assist thing?

probably plausible deniability and its interplay with good samaritan laws

as in the american public are parasites who see tragedy as a form of winning the lottery so fuck em

just take a BLS class from the red cross. Theyll teach you CPR, how to use a AED some other shit like that.

paramedic here. ama

Attached: jim.jpg (813x535, 70K)

>construction
wants to save illegal beaners

what do medics say about er nurses when theyre not around

How often do you go lights and sirens to get to kfc faster?

What are ringers?

medics have a very similar skill set to nurses. albeit, medics can intubate while that is generally performed by doctors over nurses in hospital. however, paramedics work without direct contact with a doctor. you can always call if you have questions or need to do certain procedures. nurses, technically, are always supposed to get a doctors permission to do anything. i feel that medics have more freedom and critical thinking skills, as they are on their own for the most part.

lactated ringers (like normal saline) is an I.V. solution. it has different properties that make it better in different situations. google it

Attached: 1544886174416.jpg (675x900, 130K)

I already knew what it was

"lr" is the shorthand jargon typically used. don't think i've hardly ever heard it called ringers

Do you recommend Basic EMT to laymen for general civic duty, or is it overkill for general preparedness?

you ever try to do a cric? ever done one successfully?

You can become a First Responder. It is a lower tier certification, but I think it is more of what you're looking for.
Paramedic>Advanced EMT/Intermediate>EMT Basic>First Responder

Attached: 1549254508745.png (480x580, 359K)

No. It is extremely risky. I'm pretty aggressive on respiratory calls with medication and using airway devices like intubation or CPAP. To be honest I never want to have to do it. I'm not in it for the glory. I've been an EMT/Medic for 10+ years.

Attached: 1544918645028.png (500x476, 72K)

Former medic and army fag, unless you work for the fire department, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY.

Former paramedic here. I did it for 10 years before burning out. A basic EMT certification is good just to know first aid and how to use most of the tools likely available at a construction site (backboard, AED, etc.). It also teaches you exactly how to react if there's suspected head/neck/back trauma, which is important.

It's not much work to get an EMT-Basic certification -- it takes approximately one semester going to night school three times per week. If you get on a volunteer squad, the squad will likely cover the course.

why

someone please come help this guy out

If you're good, maybe you can ride in a fire engine one day.
t. fireman

Can i make the woowoo sound?

guess our buddy is going back to their third world shithole.

Sad!

I've worked in EMS as a Firefighter/EMT at an Airport and Municipality, and then the majority of my career on an 911 ALS Ambulance for a County Service in the hood for the majority of my life. I wouldn't recommend it as a Career or as a "Funtivity."

The skills you would gain from EMS only come from time, experience, and maybe specialized courses such as PHTLS or Airway Classes with real pig lungs and such. The EMT-B class is a joke, the Medic Course is an absolute waste of time as a career. Do you know what you call good EMTs and Paramedics? Doctor or Nurse.

Look up stop the bleed courses and first aid courses. I saw someone post about WFR (pronounced like a dog who works in roofing, a la Wilderness First Aid) and idk, I feel like most of these courses provide a sense of "knowledge" with very little tangible application. This sounds odd, but you don't really understand how to handle Gunshot wounds, or people not breathing until you've been around it.

I'm serious though, to you and everyone in this thread, EMS sucks, Firefightering is stupid and the majority of people are stupid.

Don't fall into that.

Attached: Screenshot_20190210-234821_Snapchat.jpg (1079x1576, 901K)

>good samaritan laws
I thought America banned those? So I need to help citizens but cops can say
>it's just a slogan
and fuck off?

most of the shit you learn in EMT school is totally diff then what you use in the field

fire fighters make bank tho dude its good for some people who like that lifestyle

>America banned those

They're state laws, and they're pretty univeral. They definitely aren't "banned."

Good Samaritan laws typically have a clause in them that says something to the effect of "reasonable and good care in good faith." Typically this means preforming to your ability in that setting and not going beyond that, if you do so, you're typically exempt from legal action aganist you.

What the above poster might be mentioning is that EMS and Medical Personnel have what's called a "Duty to Act." Some states have this, some don't.

emtlife.com/threads/duty-to-act-info.5673/

Don't take it too serious but it's reasonable assumed that you will provide some level of response to a person in need. If you are an EMT out in the wild, and you see a woman who stops breathing and walk over a dead person without providing care or calling 911, in some states you could face legal consequences or suspension of your certification.

Again, don't take it too serious. It's not really something hammered on too often, and it doesn't mean you need to stop at every car wreck or force yourself into every thing occurring around you, just call 911 if needed or help a person if they're in front of you.

plus it will get you laid. save a guy, you'll get beers bought for you and women will throw their pussy at you. 3rd rate women of course, but still women.

>If you are an EMT out in the wild, and you see a woman who stops breathing and walk over a dead person without providing care or calling 911, in some states you could face legal consequences or suspension of your certification.
That's not what "duty to act" means. If you're an EMT coming off a shift and see a fatal car accident, you can just keep driving without looking twice. Duty to act exclusively refers to EMS personnel *in the course of their duties*. In other words, you can't just ignore the dispatch tones for a cardiac arrest.

t. paramedic turned lawyer

>fire fighters make bank

Kinda sometimes, I know more Firefighters making Okay cash versus Good Cash. Most of the "Good" cash comes from OT, and the older I get, the less incentive I have to ever work OT.

Beyond that, it's really not a healthy long term job. Working a 24-48 will reduce your lifespan, along with the constant exposure to carcinogens and the being awaken constantly from dead sleeps. It's not a dream job, it's one that can end with a single injury or illness.

People talk about the "brotherhood," but rarely mention the dumb shit that happens, the near constant political and rank battles that occuring. The miserable shit that occurs on station. EMS sucks, but it's a job to people. They clock in, they clock out. Fire is a constant dick wagging contest that tries to envelope you 24/7.

I'm serious when I say Firefighting has shown me the stupidest shit I've ever seen.

I specifically linked to the article "covering duty to act while off duty", but you got so tangled up in your bullshit boast of being a "t. Paramedic Lawyer" that you didn't use your bird brain to even read.

Attached: FB_IMG_1549391861012.jpg (733x464, 44K)

>plus it will get you laid. save a guy, you'll get beers bought for you and women will throw their pussy at you.

Literally none of this ever happens.

Women won't want to fuck you because you're a Firefighter.

You probably won't just "save" a guy from Fire. Real rescues are so exceedingly rare that they are career defining events.

Wanna know what being a Firefighter is actually like? A terrible home life, kids who hate you and never see you, you on your 3rd wife, the previous two cheated on you. That's the "life."

I'm telling you that your article is wrong.

Except I'm not.

inpublicsafety.com/2014/03/duty-to-act-legal-obligations-vs-community-expectations/

But thanks "t. Paramedic of a decade turned Attorney who is competent in Tort Law and who posts on Jow Forums at 1 a.m. on Sunday Evening"