What is the point of having friends?

Challenge my view.
Most people are just a drainage of time. It is not worth to become friends with them. What for? To "chill?. It is not productive in any sense whatsoever.
My goal in life is self seeking and realisation.
I rarely feel lonely, and if I do - I just call my girlfriend.
Or do drugs, which is far more fascinating.
I see no point in forming a friendship with anyone. I do not need any support. Not to say that I dont interact with people, or am a "shut-in". No, it is easy and fine, but beyond university - it is not worth my time.
Even if I try, as I have done, sooner or later I just feel "this is pointless talk, why the fuck am I sitting here with a person who listens to trap music, follows politics and eats meat?".
Though I am open to the possibility of forming a friendship with an exceptional person, being friendless at the moment, I am completely content.
But why are so many people seeking friendship and, moreover, feel depressed due to the lack of it?
Maybe I am just missing something.

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-06-28-22h34m51s533.png (1280x546, 306K)

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/18/why-smart-people-are-better-off-with-fewer-friends/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>But why are so many people seeking friendship and, moreover, feel depressed due to the lack of it?
Because they aren't edgy autists unlike yourself, user.

This is hardly an answer. Rather than describing an anonymous person, Id better hear your reasons why you DO actually go out and seek friendships (in fact, the solely purpose of this thread was to create motivation for myself in that area).

What if you need to carry some furniture? Or your car breaks in the middle of the road, maybe call a friend?

I carry it myself. Or I call a service and pay them, it is as simple as that.

This is how I felt after I graduated high school. I regretted it in about 6 months I've finally went to college and made friends. Op trust me you think it's liberating to be without friends but it's very lonely. Very lonely

>Id better hear your reasons why you DO actually go out and seek friendships
>(in fact, the solely purpose of this thread was to create motivation for myself in that area).

what motivation would you need to go out and seek other people when you're already content with yourself? doubtless you'll have more snappy comebacks ready for every other response that'll pop in here.

i guess i'll chip in anyway because i sometimes still feel that way. yes, people are exhausting; yes, they feel like a waste of time, but to me that's the whole point anyway. i've cooped myself up in here for two years now, and i can only remain fascinated with myself for so long.

when you have no one to share this life with, you're as good as dead, i feel. cherish the people closest to you, even the drugs will lose their luster sooner or later.

You're trying to challenge people to change a view that is highly subjective. People seek friends for a variety of different reasons (support, giving support, feeling of unity, killing loneliness). You can achieve most of these without having a circle of friends. I for once have literally zero close acquaintances and am relatively fine with it though sometimes it feels cold. It is neither necessary nor overrated because it depends on the individuals need for social activity. And living in a society is already enough for some to fill the the natural desire for community.
Btw you have a gf, that's still a friend so don't get cocky. Your gf already satisfies your social needs so you are fine with it.

You don’t want friends so nothing any of us says will change your mind. Frankly, you don’t sound like you would be a good friend anyway.

I feel the exact same way, but that's only because I have had friends and went through the experience of
>Man I really wanna go home instead of being in this fucking restaurant with these people who don't add much to my life.
But people who have grown up without friends don't know that feeling. All they see are movies, TV shows, anime, manga, comics, webcomics of groups of friends having a ball. They yearn for those experiences. You can't just tell people that friends are a waste of time, they have to live it.

>when you have no one to share this life with, you're as good as dead
While I dont completely agree, there is some validity. But for me, the sharing is limited to a girlfriend or (in the future) wife, future children, and family. I am questioning friendships here and not an absolute solitude. More specifically, friendships in a current world (for example, there are definitely advantages to forming friendships as a monk in a temple, or in the wildness).

>But why are so many people seeking friendship and, moreover, feel depressed due to the lack of it?
>Maybe I am just missing something

Yeah you are. Newsflash - humans are social animals and have evolved that way over millions of years. Humans want friends the way bees want to make honey and birds want to make nests. Cooperation is a massive survival advantage and the strongest cooperation is love and friendship. It's not just sentimental goo it's the reason we dominate the planet.

Honestly though you just sound like someone with a superiority complex, really pretentious. So what if they like trap music? So what if they follow politics, maybe you're wrong to be dismissive of it? You really think anyone who deviates from your idea of perfect is beneath you and unworthy?

You don't necessarily need friends to fill the gap of community.

>But for me, the sharing is limited to a girlfriend or (in the future) wife, future children, and family.
keep them close, then. they can be your friends too.

>I am questioning friendships here and not an absolute solitude.
friendships are fickle little things, so the ones that stick are absolute gifts. of the thirty-something people i spent my high school years with, i only keep in touch with three of them now. once in a while i'll comb through my friend list on Facebook and delete the people i have no reason to keep in touch with... hmm. that should be everyone but the aforementioned three by now, along with my brother and other relatives.

i know my time here at university to be temporary, and i feel i've overstayed my welcome to be of any use or help to anybody now. i just really want my degree both so my parents stop nagging me and i can move on with my life.

i don't know, but you sound like someone who fiercely values their privacy, and that's perfectly fine. you're not obliged to talk to everyone you see.

as for why people would be depressed due to a lack of friends, i don't know. some people i know find being alone to be extremely uncomfortable. it really depends. for myself, the air here's just really fucking dead. i want a change of pace.

>So what if they like trap music? So what if they follow politics, maybe you're wrong to be dismissive of it?
To me, it just says volumes about their personality, thats all. I cannot be friends with those people.
Maybe it is pretentious, I dont deny it - but anyone who deviates from my personal standards, is not worth my time, simple as that.
And this is what I am discussing here - there is no way I am compromising my views on the world for the sake of mere companionship. I see no benefits in friends who do not align with my values and I am looking for reasons to change my view. But it appears to be hard, truth be told.
>the reason we dominate the planet.
Do you really think that? In my opinion, people are not only NOT dominating, they have in fact sunk much deeper than anyone else and made everything worse by going away from nature and happiness it initially gave us.
People are the saddest creatures on earth, the only ones who work and suffer, by the way.

I'll preface my comment by saying I do not have friends because I am smart.

Now then, people "make friends" or otherwise have the desire to do so because they're helpless slaves to the matrix and they see "friends" as a way to become "wealthy" (connections) or "happy" (indulge in sin)

You are not missing anything and you are correct in this viewpoint.
It is not wise to know many people and it is best to work on and and take care of yourself, first and foremost.
It holds true: "every thing you could ever want or be, you already have and are"
Nothing else necessary in this life of sin, except your own Divine self.

Christ, you’re a fucking psycho.

You sound pretty self centered

For me personally I like my friends. I enjoy their company and care about them, and I would like to think they feel the same about me. I have what feels like a fairly small group of friends and I don't see them all that often but I feel like it's a matter of quality over quantity. I've also never gone out of my way to find friends, but rather made connections with people I already spent time naturally which developed into friendships.

Yes, people can sometimes be tiring, but you sometimes have to make effort for what you find important, and I very rarely feel like that effort isn't worth it.

All that being said though, if you're truly satisfied with how your social life is at this point in time, then I don't feel there's anything wrong with not seeking friends. From what I've seen nobody could convince you otherwise. At the end of the day, everybody is different, and other people clearly aren't wired the same way you are. Provided you don't end up some rapist or murderer then I'd say that's not inherently a bad thing.

Well yeah, there you have it. You are pretentious, closed minded and entitled. Not an insult, I am half of that and I don't see how that's "wrong".
It is but a matter of personal preference.
The soul is egoistic and if your ego doesn't align with friendshipship then that's fine, I mean you have a gf at least so you do have some urges. Imo it's all meaningless in the long run but friends are a great way to connect or feel like I have something that matters, but I have a family that's enough for me.

>In my opinion, people are not only NOT dominating, they have in fact sunk much deeper than anyone else and made everything worse by going away from nature and happiness it initially gave us.
People are the saddest creatures on earth, the only ones who work and suffer, by the way.
Because we bacame more egoistic/intelligent.

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/03/18/why-smart-people-are-better-off-with-fewer-friends/

Wubalubadabdab

>I am looking for reasons to change my view.
be honest with yourself then. do you want friends or not? a simple yes or no will suffice.

They don't know what's like having friends and once they find some and the novelty wear off and realize it's fucking nothing they go back to being depressed

>It's the reason we dominate the planet
And fucking it up and making a global modern civilization where everyone is equally miserable and dissatisfied with life

Shhhh weaklings, can't even stand a crack in the matrix

Actually, thinking about this right now, reading this thread as well as making some research has helped me to come to a decision, which is:
I decide, that having one or another friendship in life is important.
I conclude, that yes, I do want a friend or another, besides my relationship with a woman. However, an important factor is - it really has to be a right person.
As long as this person has not appeared in my life, I will find much more satisfaction being without any friends, rather than creating artificial friendships with people who are not on the same wavelength with me just for the sake of it. There I have it, for me the discussion is over.

/thread

>Challenge my view
Why?
You're on Jow Forums. This isn't new; you'll gymnast and damage control your way out of anything we say.

I mean fuck, you're on Jow Forums making this thread. You're clearly antisocial, so why the fuck would I damn other people by telling you to engage them?
If you're antisocial, BE antisocial. Stay that way. Don't try to fucking be something you aren't.

Christ, you're a fucking idiot, typing up a wall of text to say "I'm antisocial."

Whoa, based

>Christ
That's a greek word with an english translation. Next time you feel like speaking greek, why not use it?

>Anointed one!

>Christ, you're a fucking idiot
Be careful, he might punish you.

>To me, it just says volumes about their personality, thats all. I cannot be friends with those people.
>Maybe it is pretentious, I dont deny it - but anyone who deviates from my personal standards, is not worth my time, simple as that.
>And this is what I am discussing here - there is no way I am compromising my views on the world for the sake of mere companionship. I see no benefits in friends who do not align with my values and I am looking for reasons to change my view. But it appears to be hard, truth be told.

It's actually a stimulating thing to have people around you who challenge your views, and I don't just mean people who have pseudointellectual debates. What you want here is utterly boring, practically a clone of yourself. If you only want those who think exactly like you, at worst you'll never have friends and at best you'll fail to grow as a person.

>Do you really think that? In my opinion, people are not only NOT dominating, they have in fact sunk much deeper than anyone else and made everything worse by going away from nature and happiness it initially gave us.

Look, you can get all contrarian and reinterpret what dominate means to say that we're not. Fine. We both know what I'm actually talking about though, which is our proliferation and ability to massively change our environment like no other species, is due to our ability to cooperate. That isn't disputable, it's just a fact.

>People are the saddest creatures on earth, the only ones who work and suffer, by the way.

Humans are the only creatures to work? The only creatures to suffer? Literally every animal works and suffers.

>our proliferation and ability to massively change our environment like no other species, is due to our ability to cooperate
Like an ant. People like you are ants to me

It's a lucky thing you're friendless and the only person subjected to your edge is some thot

>im14andthisisdeep

Sometimes friends can be the light on your life.

You sound like someone with a diagnosable personality disorder. Do you ever feel guilt or remorse over the actions you do if they seem to hurt others? Do you understand what the other person is feeling when someone else has been hurt by your actions? Do you ever feel like it is your fault for upsetting them, or is it predominantly their fault for being upset?

Sounds like something an ant would broadcast through scent to be accepted by the hive.

He sounds like an edgelord teenager, nothing to see here

Ants don't live in hives, retard

Stimulus.
Thus introvert/extrovert.

Think about friends differently, think about friends as closer connections with more benefits, think of anyone you know as connection and you will see that any connection has benefits, connections are mere tools to help you get what you want even within your family. Just don't let them know and feel like they are tools.

Why do you have a girlfriend, then? I sometimes wonder if I should bother finding a gf for the same reasons.

You know an awful lot about ants, dont you?

>Btw you have a gf, that's still a friend so don't get cocky. Your gf already satisfies your social needs so you are fine with it.

This. Your girlfriend is clearly fulfilling the friend role for you.

The point of friendship is not "being productive". Its the pleasure of company.

Its pointless if you can't enjoy it.

Somehow I highly doubt that this dude has a gf. I bet nobody wants to be around so you're pretending your friendlessness is by choice. I truly feel bad for you OP.

when you meet like minded folk you feel enrich your life you'll see friends can be bretty good