Been unemployed since November 1st; if, somehow, I don't find a job by the end of March...

Been unemployed since November 1st; if, somehow, I don't find a job by the end of March, I'll have to make arrangements to bail out of where I'm living, put what belongings I can in storage with what's left of my unemployment benefits, and become homeless until I can find a job again.

That's 10 weeks away, which sounds like a long time, but to me it's not.

I need a contingency plan, NOW, not when it's a week away and I'm panicking.

I've never been homeless. I don't know what the fuck I'll do if it comes to this.

Post your best contingency plan. Be kind and don't troll or shitpost, please.

Attached: gettyimages-527435566.jpg (1200x750, 191K)

OP here,
I'm going out for a few hours to clear my head, so I won't be here to reply to your posts until I return.

I also like to unironically thank in advance those of you who take the time to make thoughtful posts in this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine you don't put in very many job applications. You should be applying to places like it's your full-time job. If you're too lazy to spend eight hours a day applying yourself to get a job, why is anyone supposed to believe you'll be able to work eight hours a day?

I must have applied to a dozen different listings this last week, and got cold-calls on half a dozen more (none of which I were either qualified for or that I could actually take, requiring me to move 100+ miles away to a more expensive area to live in when I have no money to move *across the street* even). So you're wrong, yes.

I'm not sitting on my hands waiting for some job to magically appear. I'm not a barely-18 child who is still used to mommy and daddy bailing me out, no.

Chances are at least a contract job will come my way before things get critical. But for my own peace-of-mind I want a contingency plan for what would be the worst outcome. I don't think that's unreasonable.

>You should be applying to places like it's your full-time job.
It only takes a couple hours a day at most to go through all the available resouces, by the way. I'm not an unskilled non-experienced person who is only suited to entry-level and laborer-type jobs, so it's not like I need to be applying for dishwasher and warehouse jobs -- at least not yet. If I end up couch-surfing then I'll have to take whatever i can get. But I'm not doing myself any favors by concentrating on trying to get minimum wage jobs that I'm grossly overqualified for, especially when they'll take one look at my resume and see that there's no way I'll stick around any longer than it'll take for me to get a real job. Been there, done that, doesn't work. Jobs like that, they want unskilled inexperienced people they know have no other options because they know they'll stick around for the long term.

Even the low-wage places aren't accepting new people? What the fuck, I thought it was an employee's market.

where in the states do you live?

Is your dole running out?

'''Low wage''' jobs are a last resort so far as I'm concerned. You start taking those, and employers think that's all you're really good for and don't take you seriously. Also I don't know about your experiences in the job market, but mine have been that if you're grossly over-qualified for a job, they won't even consider you because they're sure (and rightly so) you'll quit just as soon as you find something more appropriate.

>dole
Don't you think that's a rather shitty word for UI Benefits? :-/

I'm halfway through my 26 weeks of UI Benefits. If worse comes to worst I want some sort of plan of action rather than panicking at the last minute because I'm going to lose my place to live.

It probably won't come to that though. But I sleep better at night knowing I've got some sort of backup plan.

Do a yard sale ASAP

Sell valuables on eBay

Sell Collectables to collectors directly

Use the money to buy a car and do uber or lyft

I don't have any non-essentials that are worth anything and I'm not selling things off that I actually need.

I have no '''valuables''' and ebay is a joke.

I have no '''collectibles''' to sell.

I have a pickup truck and I'm not selling it to buy a shitty passenger car to become a glorified cab driver -- not if I can possibly avoid it. I'll hold that one out under the """last resort""" column.

>Use the money to buy a car and do uber or lyft
That does remind me however that I was thinking about posting on Craigslist for general hauling type services since I do have a pickup truck. I have to look into the legalities involved in doing that though (do I need a business license, contractors license, special insurance, anything like that). I'd just as soon be self-employed as not.

However I'd like to point out that the reason for this thread is gather information on resources so I can come up with a contigency plan in case I end up having to bail out of where I live due to no money to pay the rent. Job searching is "Plan A"; dealing with possible homelessness is "Plan B". Ideally during "Plan B" I want to be able to be looking for work still so homelessness doesn't become permanent. Understand?

If you end up homeless, here's what I did in 2015. I slept in my car and showered at a friend's place every few days.
>buy tin whistle ($10 on amazon) and learn a few easy jigs (check youtube, personal recs are swallowtail jig and rocky road to dublin)
>tin whistle is an exceptionally easy instrument to learn
>sit at busy intersection with an island or a busy freeway offramp away from foot traffic
>away from foot traffic because if you only know two or three tunes people will get annoyed and kick you out
>cars pass by once a day just long enough to hear a tune and then leave
>have sign that reads "WILL PLAY YOU AN IRISH JIG FOR $$"
>when traffic is stopped walk between the cars with your sign and a smile
>only operating cost is sunscreen (don't shirk on this, you'll need it)
>sit on street and play, make anywhere from $10-$50 a day
>usually on the lower half of that spectrum but sometimes a person will just give you a $20 bill or something
>hit the library every day and apply for every single job on craigslist
>buy some tallcans of beer and relax in the sun

hopefully when hired, a friend will let you crash on their couch like they did for me. They didn't want a jobless, homeless guy feeling entitled to sleep at their place, but a homeless guy with a job and working his way out was a different story. Looking back, those were really fun days. Sometimes I miss them.

During this shutdown you need no license.

Go stand by the Mexicans at home depot

LOL ok that's amusing and all but I can't take you seriously.

>During this shutdown you need no license.
Irrelevant.
>Go stand by the Mexicans at home depot
Don't be a dick.
'''Day labor''' is an actual Thing but that's more like 'Plan C'.

>There is a big difference between being homeless, and being homeless and looking homeless
Get a gym membership so you can shower

Try to get any sort of car so that you can have some sort of place to live instead of being on the street

If you have a truck or car, consider getting a little trailer

You'll find work by finding it. Don't have bullshit standards. Go actually work, ask your neighbor if he wants his dishes done.

Fucker

I've already got a gym membership. They don't have showers. I can shower at friends' houses if it comes to that.

I have a pickup. I'm not selling it to buy some shitty car, a pickup is far more useful.

The majority of you comment however amounts to:
>spend money on things!
I have no money; if I did then this thread wouldn't need to exist.

I'm starting to think there's no point to this thread.
Maybe I should just call the EDD or some other County agency and see if there's some resource there that can help me if it comes down to having to put everything I own in storage and being homeless.

Alright retard since you don't want to be a temporary glorified cab driver then deliver food with ubereats door dash and more. There are so many fucking opportunities out there for temp jobs and you're being a fucking a retard if you don't choose them over going homeless

Hang on you're worried about possible homelessness but you're not willing to be an uber even though you have a car? Fuck off

Go to a staffing agency. Get an assignment. Work til they hire you on. Done.

>The majority of you comment however amounts to:
>>spend money on things!
>I have no money; if I did then this thread wouldn't need to exist.

You said you have at least money for 10 weeks - to get a trailer you can
>Take out a loan
>Borrow money from someone
>Work for trade
>Use what little money you have to buy at least a mobile house.

Many people just try to get rid of trailers

If you're going to end up homeless because you are incompetent you can at least be a little less homeless, but it seems you have your mind set

Even a camper to live out of is better than nothing

Find some land, buy some tools, get a rifle and live off the land as a trapper. This is my plan once I hit 25 in 2 years instead of killing myself.

Apply for dishy washy at your local restaurants.

It will never be an employee's market for any non-specialized work. We allowed too many millions of unskilled people into our country.

You'll be OK user. IMO you should let your place go now and find an ultra cheap living solution while you keep applying for jobs like the one you lost. So more than a contingency plan what you need is a "new place to live while I keep searching plan". Once you get a decent job you can go back to live in a nice place. Wasting money in two months of nice place rent is stupid in your situation. Safe, inexpensive and reasonable connected. This are all the requirements your new place must have. It doen't need to be big, or nice, or beautiful, or have light, or nice neighbors, or be conveniently located, etc.

Also decide beforehand when are you going to go Plan C. I mean, when you only have X amount of money left then you go full on plan C. And please lie to get those shitty jobs, downplay your work experience in their applications to something they'll accept.

My contingency plan is to panic. I have saved, so I'm not worried about a roof over my head, but the hit to my esteem wouild be debilitating. Thanks for makling me thing about this for once in a long time.

Have you tried an employment agency? They're pretty good.at getting you temp work fast and they sometimes lead to meaningful.full time employment.

And while he is at it he should ask to shovel the snow in his driveway and build a lemonade stand too!

OP here,
You clearly don't understand what you're talking about, dude. I know how much all that would cost and it's not possible on UI benefits. Also you can't just park a trailer anywhere on the street without being hassled by cops, possibly arrested for vagrancy, and possibly having the trailer and everything in it impounded. It's a non-starter but you don't seem to understand that.

I don't plan on living out the rest of my life as Ted Kaczinsky.

I don't need ''job search advice'''.
Believe it or not I have actual marketable skills, and experience counted in decades.

I live in Northern California, there is nothing '''cheaper''' than where I am, it's all MORE EXPENSIVE.

When I posted this thread I thought there was maybe a 1% chance someone would say something useful to me in this situation. There was one of you who said something marginally useful; thanks for that.
The rest of you: no useful comments and lots of bad advice. Wish I could say I was disappointed but I expected this.

Abandoning thread. Do as you will, I won't be back. I have other, local sources to consult with I haven't tapped yet.
Also for all I know next week I get a job offer and all this becomes moot. Have a nice day anons.

Attached: 1547396282886.jpg (480x480, 60K)

you sound like a fucking dickhead, I wouldn't hire you either
how about changing your shitty attitude

>Believe it or not I have actual marketable skills, and experience counted in decades.

apparently not, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

check your hubristic self. Yes there were some shitty replies, but this is yotsuba and you took it personally and your reply ended up being shittier.

>I live in Northern California, there is nothing '''cheaper''' than where I am, it's all MORE EXPENSIVE.

time to move has been upon you, fucker. but keep on drinking that superiority kool aid, unemployed fuck who didn't save money.