Career Options after becoming Disabled

I'm a junior college I'm in a rough spot. Two months I was in a bad car accident, a drunk driver hit me and friends and we were all severely injured. I've become paralyzed in both of my legs and now I'm stuck in a wheelchair.

I am a pre-med student and I still intended to pursue medicine even though I'm crippled now but after speaking to my pre-med advisor, I feel incredibly disheartened. He told me that my credentials were top tier but being a disabled person now has put me at such a severe disadvantage, that it might not be possible for me anymore. He told me he's not trying to be mean to me but being a paraplegic, pretty much no med school will give me a second glance.

Needless to say, I'm incredibly distraught but its not like this stuff wasn't in my mind. There's so many obstacles that I'd need to overcome and there's no reason for them to accommodate me when they could just get a normal person. I feel so heartbroken but I don't have time to be a whiner.

I had some foresight. I had chosen to major in math as a "backup" plan. In reality though, I had no intention of ever using this degree so I don't really know what to do with it. I'm good at math, I have a 4.0 GPA in my math subjects but career wise I...don't know what to do with it.

Any math majors can help me out here? Should I just restart with a new major? I'd like career suggestions that even handicapped people can do. Honestly, I don't really care what I do anymore. My passion was medicine so anything else will make me miserable so I might as well just go for the money.

Attached: 1542101904515.jpg (354x1007, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

uofmhealth.org/news/archive/201602/want-be-doctor-have-disability-many-medical-schools-look
journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/Fulltext/2016/07000/U_S__Medical_Schools__Compliance_With_the.28.aspx
www2.census.gov/library/publications/2012/demo/p70-131.pdf
ucsf.edu/news/2016/12/405171/percentage-medical-students-disabilities-higher-thought-study-finds
youtube.com/channel/UCIpqRCu9dbj6MqlRJiP9M4A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Veterinarian?

Maybe just give up and apply for social security?

If you are still in med school, I recommend finishing it and going into IT. You might be able to develop ground breaking software that would help people will all kinds of issues.
Most people in IT don't understand most medical problems, so there is a very small group of people who can develop software that can genuinly help people.
And if you are able to, you could possibly help in research that would aid you in regaining your legs.
You have a tough road ahead user, good luck.

>pretty much no med school will give me a second glance.
Unless you're looking to be a surgeon, you should keep on the med school path.
My mentor, a general surgeon , have very bad eyesight, that didn't stop him from doing surgeries, he just used his hands to "feel" around.
Many sub-specialties doesn't require moving around too much, look into radiology, dermatology, and internal medicine.

this

>paying for IT
I'm 4th year surgical resident, I learned most tech stuff all by myself, it's not that hard really.
I even have A+ certificate, and even understand better than the IT in the hospital I work with.
>2nd year
>visit pediatric ward
>kids sadly watching news while waiting for their chemo
>next shift
>bring RPi2 running retropie + two joystick
Now I'm known as the gamer doc.

Seems ridiculous that you can't still become a GP. Not as if you need to be on your feet all day for that. Maybe try applying abroad like in Canada? There are human rights boards there which tend to come down pretty hard on this kind of discrimination.

I agree with Keep going for me school, and talk to a different advisor that will actually support you. I don't know where you live, but here in America we have a doctor shortage and I'm assuming it's the same in a lot of countries. There will always be work for you if you have those skills and just because they might need to lower a table or two for you because you're in a wheelchair doesn't mean that you wouldn't be a very valuable resource as a doctor and you wouldn't be able to do everything you needed to do with only minor accommodations. A medical degree can open many more doors than anything else you could do. And I don't agree with your advisor's assumption that they'll pass over you for a person who isn't disabled if you've performed very well like it seems you have and at least in America anyway disability is now being seen as an aspect of diversity and so there are even special insentives to hire people with disabilities and accept them into schools.

Just keep going and don't let this advisor fuck with your head, find a new one that will help you.

That's terrible. Was the car ok?

Well, you could do math. I graduated with a math degree and my job is quite literally sitting in a chair all day. Specifically, I work in finance making models and when I was job hunting I remember seeing the phrase "equal opportunity employer" which means they'll probably hire you. There's also good money to be made.

Never said to pay for IT. learning coding is free.

What languages do you know so far?

Python, C#.
I also do simple html/css

Economics and finance.

>>/o/

Thats pretty good, I also recommend learning Java but other than that you're good.
Just finish your studies and you should be good.

>Just finish your studies
I'm studying for the board selection exam.

user probably wouldn't it make it passed the residency stage. You need to be on your feet all day going from place to place and being efficient. Med schools consider that in their decision.

Its not fair but he wouldn't get far on wheels, ironically.

>discrimination
That won't get anywhere. Med schools are famous for how discriminatory they are.

>You need to be on your feet all day going from place to place
Only if you do ER residency, please tell me you're in the medical field and not basing your knowledge on a medical show you binge watched on netflix?

That's true for pretty much every residency. There's no such thing as a resident that sits around all day. The only residency I've ever heard where you don't have to be as mobile is radiology and those guys are still all over the place.

>There's no such thing as a resident that sits around all day
Not all day just 8 hours a day.

>But for young people with disabilities, that dream may die when they check the admissions standards of most medical schools
>Only a third of schools said outright that they would accommodate a student with a disability who otherwise qualified to attend
>The researchers found that 53 schools – one-third of those studied -- had TSs that specifically supported accommodating students with disabilities
uofmhealth.org/news/archive/201602/want-be-doctor-have-disability-many-medical-schools-look

>Most medical school TSs do not support provision of reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities as intended by the ADA.
journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/Fulltext/2016/07000/U_S__Medical_Schools__Compliance_With_the.28.aspx

>One-fifth of all Americans have some form of disability but only 2.7% of doctors do
www2.census.gov/library/publications/2012/demo/p70-131.pdf
ucsf.edu/news/2016/12/405171/percentage-medical-students-disabilities-higher-thought-study-finds

What does this mean? Med schools are uninviting at best, downright discriminatory at worse. They are making efforts to improve but your chances of getting in as a handicapped person, especially if you're a white male, are extremely small. People keep bringing up the logistics of it, med schools do not care about that. OP very well may be able to do a variety of jobs but med schools don't see it that way.

Anybody that's been through medical school admissions already knows those assholes look for any reason possible to turn you down.

>his country hire doctors based on their physical and mental fitness

Become a math teacher my dude.

Why don't you try and get lab work? I suppose that kind of stuff is more chemistry but I'm sure you'll be able to do something involving medicine with that. If getting into med-school really is so prohibitive that they won't let someone disabled in, then it might be as close as you can get to the career you want.

Since the injury is still fresh I would recommend going to Los Angeles to see Dr. Rahim, arguably the best Gonstead Chiropractor in the U.S, to see what he's able to do to help. I'm not saying that he will be able to fix your broken back but if there's any hope of restoring your ability to walk he would be able to do it. He was able to restore feeling and movement in someone paralyzed for 13 years after falling off a roof. It's possible that you may have a condition that can be treated in the same way.

Here's his YouTube account since he posts his patients' visits on there for people to see the process:

youtube.com/channel/UCIpqRCu9dbj6MqlRJiP9M4A

>Get rejected because you're disabled

What the fuck?

You'd get better advice from Reddit unironically, you could even start a GoFundMe or something

Never applied to med school, huh?

I'm glad I didn't, they seem like real assholes

Read the book "think and grow rich" with an open mind.

Seriously. read it. nao

shit like this makes me realize my blessings. best of luck user, I don't know what I would do in your situation.

Medicine still your best option on your live anything beside will be more trouble.