Tl;dr should I, an autistic neet, start working HVAC?

26 year old manchild neet here
I want to get my life together. I want to have a job with as little education as possible but decent pay but also not stupid dangerous. Theres a school very close to me that teaches 6 month long HVAC classes. Theres also a business in my city that hires HVAC techs and starts them at 14 dollars an hour at least. It even says that only a diploma is required but training helps of course. I'm interested in this
My first question is this: does this sound okay to you guys? is HVAC a shitty career path? I'd also like to learn refrigeration as well eventually as I heard it opens many more opportunities
Second question: I am autistic as fuck. I was raised by a single mom and know jack shit about tech. I literally just learned how to unscrew a screw recently. I've never even plugged in a console, let alone tried fixing anything. I'm willing to learn, but will the courses start off assuming I already know some basic shit that a father would teach you, like how wiring or buttons etc works? This would be really demoralizing to me and put me at a deficit
last question: the more desirable tiers of HVAC often let you have a company vehicle. Thing is, I am an objectively terrible fucking driver. It isn't just a mental thing or a thing that needs practice, like I just have terrible attention span, terrible reflexes, sometimes I forget what the fucking red/green lights mean for a second, and stupid shit like that. I've also never driven on a freeway which is pretty essential to working in california. I know with 100% certainty that if my livelihood depends on driving, I will absolutely crash the vehicle eventually. Is there anything I can do about this, what I mean is, is it possible to reach a high-ish tier of HVAC without driving a company vehicle? rather crash my own truck/van than the companies

Attached: 1547512691812.png (663x715, 202K)

Mortuary science.

seems theres no program for that in my area

They'll probably rip on you depending on how wierdly you portray yourself.

Then it probably pays very well. It’s a short program.

thats what I'm nervous about. never been the confrontational type but idk what my other options would be
its over a hour away from me in a very busy area (LA)

bump

No. Live as a hermit in some cheap shack you build in the backwoods and learn to garden so you can grow your own food.

Attached: 81ADEB9F-7E27-44BC-A83A-343B97A8B5F9.jpg (1024x596, 123K)

but muh electronics

Attached: e0a071c145e11e378ad98b041f6104e0.jpg (800x600, 112K)

Learn to use solar\wind power. I believe there are cheap ways to set up a system.

no

Attached: 1546492407602.png (184x266, 38K)

HVAC is a fine skill to learn. Look into welding and plumbing, too. I am a huge advocate of community college and technical schools/associate degrees over University and Bachelors, if you can get away with it. I teach at a tech school myself. The fact that you could likely get your degree with minimal (or no) debt is a huge advantage you'll have.

>does this sound okay to you guys? is HVAC a shitty career path?
Absolutely a good career path. There's not a lot of glamor or upward movement in it, but you will be able to be find comfortable work and likely be able to live a nice "adult" life.

>... will the courses start off assuming I already know some basic shit that a father would teach you, like how wiring or buttons etc works?
This will be your biggest challenge honestly. You mentioned being a NEET, but this does put you behind. You've never plugged in a console? You mean, like, plugging a Nintendo into a wall, and then the video cable to a TV? That's not just basic, that... infantile. Not to demean you or anything, but I don't know how to respond to that. The answer, though, is that yes - they will go over the basic things, and I think you'll find that most people know less than you think they do. My dad always taught me a bunch of handy things growing up, but I never learned how to wire anything or "buttons," lol. Congrats on learning how to drive a screw, though. That's... a first step, I guess, hah. Point is, you'll be fine. Just work hard. This isn't high school, no body is going to bully you or humiliate you because you don't know how to do something. They're there to learn skills to get a job, same as you.
>vehicle question
Don't take this the wrong way, but you may have a learning disability, based on your description. If you get it officially recognized, you might be able to find work and you'll be fine without having to drive. It may even help you get transportation to work, if you need it.

Good luck, user. Way to go, trying to better yourself.

Dude fucking try anything just to not be wasting your life away.

thanks for the reply man. can I ask which state you teach in and what kind of class? I'm in california and hoping to move to arizona for more opportunities and cheaper cost of living (don't worry, I'm not a commie bitch)
Is there any life skills you suggest I learn before signing up? besides driving, and hopefully something I can learn online without having to pay for anything. maybe some type of specific wiring techniques or air condition stuff that'd give me a slight boost. yeah, infantile is the right word for me.
you're right. I just wanna make sure I'm taking good first steps

No problem. It's like seeing a fat guy at the gym. It's a good thing they're at the gym, working out, trying to get fit. It's good that you're looking to go to school, learn a skill to get a job. Some people will make fun of you, but ignore them. You're doing good things.

I'm in Georgia, so not near Cali. I teach film and video production, and graphic design at a two-year school. I got my bachelors at the University of Georgia, but I did my core classes at the school I'm working at now, believe it or not, and am blown away by the quality education that is actually available at community colleges/tech schools. The students there (like you) are great to work with over university, snobby students because students at community colleges actually want to be there to learn skills and eventually have a career, and not just learning useless academic material at uppity universities. Also, costs a lot less, hah. I'm pretty lucky that the Atlanta film industry began booming just when I got my degree in film production here. I get to do film industry work and teach it, too.

Actually, out where you are, there are probably LOADS of film industry jobs you may be interested in. There are PLENTY of jobs and skills you could learn to get consistent work in the film industry. Electric, set construction/design, even camera, sound, or set dec. I'm biased, but that's a great career field full of jobs that people don't think about/think they're qualified for. Maybe look into that, if you're interested.

The biggest life skill I'd recommend is learning how to set goals for yourself and how to be self-motivated. This means creating your own schedule, sticking to it, and not drifting into laziness or procrastination. I am 26 myself, but for a solid 4 years, I was full NEET. It was hard to push myself, so I'll tell you it's not easy, but start small. Have a set bedtime and wake up time, then add more and more stuff from there. It is the #1 habit I'd recommend.

As for "school skills," if you got your GED or finished high school, you'll be surprised how easy some of the core classes will be. English 1101 is basically making sure you know how to write an essay, and Math 1101 is literally a step below Algebra (at least here, anyway). Touch up on some of that stuff if you think you'll need to, but it's nothing too tough, and if they're required, they don't last long, and they may not even be required, depending on the school/degree/program.

Never be afraid to ask for help, either. Like I mentioned, the cool thing about community college and tech schools are that the staff/faculty know you're there to learn skills for a job and they want to help you be successful.

I actually kinda have my heart set on leaving this state, and I like the flexibility hvac seems to offer. do you recommend any other habits besides the sleep schedule? I already exercise
I do have a diploma. I could go for some math refreshers though. do tech schools often require a general education? I sure as fuck hope not, the 6 month education was my primary reason for choosing hvac.

If you know the program is six months, you'll likely not have to do gen ed. If you went for the associates, you would. Sounds like you're good to go, then. Some more skills I'd recommend in addition to setting your schedule, developing habits/skills, and sticking to them is... well, a couple.

One, try to incorporate a social life, to some degree. You might be really antisocial or have a ton of friends - I don't know - but devote some time during your week to being around people you enjoy being around. We weren't designed to do life alone, so it's important to have friends. If not that, just get out a couple days a week, and sit in a Starbucks or McDonalds and read, if you have to. It actually does good for you.

Two, start studying or learning something that you are interested in and enjoy in addition to your studies. It is important to develop passions and interests outside of work and to keep learning, even on your own time. Study a language or an artistic skill or even try music or writing or building or something. Maybe mix these two together and find a group that does stuff like that.

Three, there is a real transition between NEET and being a full-fledged adult, like I mentioned earlier. Don't feel like you have to dive in and take on the world at once. Don't feel guilty transitioning. One step at a time.

Finally, give yourself some credit. You may have heard of "love others as yourself." We often take that to mean treat people well (which is true of course), but also we need to treat ourselves well, too. Not be prideful or arrogant, but a lot of people go through life with a false humility because they think it puts them in a better place. Forget that. You are a smart guy, you're looking to pave your own way and start this new adventure, and that's an awesome thing. NEET or not, you've got a lot to offer the world, and I'm excited to think about where you're going. Stopping "can't" talk and negative self talk is crucial.

Best of luck, user.

thanks man

Attached: 93257520759275967.jpg (1000x564, 108K)

As a failed electrician and a verified sperg allow me to give you my experience

1. Tradesmen are not the type to be kind to spergs, you'll often be humiliated and yelled at. Learn everything you can by yourself, read books and practice, you don't want to bump heads with these assholes out there in the field.

2.As a sperg I hate working mornings, so whatever you do always pick an afternoon or a night schedule

3.Roads are usually empty at night so picking a night schedule might be a good fit for you

4. I would take the associate degree simply because it'll give you more time to learn by yourself. Once again, you'll have a very hard time following directions and rednecks aren't known for being patient.

Sorry to bogart your thread OP, but I have a similar question for your respondants:
I just turned 27, and have an honors degree in science. Waste of fucking money and time that was; I've spent the last 4 years after graduation bumbling around on welfare and doing shitty temp work.

Is studying a trade the best hope I have of paying off my student debt and ceasing to be the dirt the economic ladder stands on? I'd like to maybe become a CNC machinist and learn to code, then start my own business by the age of 35, but I'm extremely disillusioned and suspicious of even imagining success after I was told as a teenager that the world needs more scientists (but we don't want to actually pay them).

Attached: DPJVjSWUQAARl4C.jpg (988x1200, 142K)

how exactly did you fail? dropped out of the course?
1, this is one thing I'm nervous about, especially when I start working. blue collar work is stereotypically filled with gruff guys and I'm a short, skinny autist. I always thought being insulted by the "customers" would be more likely than my coworkers
2/3. I hate it too but I do plan on trying to have a normal life so I'll probably suck it up and do mornings. I just finished seasonal work at a warehouse job working 10 hour shifts waking up at 6 am so I think I can do it. the night thing is a good idea though
4. associate degree?
no worries, hope somebody can help you

Yeah there are community colleges that offer Associates degree and certificates. I dropped out because I'm clumsy as fuck and got yelled at alot. I kept panicking and dreaded going to work the next day. I'll be going to community college soon, maybe I'll have a better learning experience there

I would choose HVAC or even truck driver over machinist. Better wages

Really? That's interesting. And certainly when I live in Australia people are always going to need Air Conditioning mechanics.

Either way, pic related are the trades I can receive incentives for studying (incentives like study loans and extra support for being an adult apprentice); which do you think are the best for upward mobility/entrepreneurship?

Much obliged.

Attached: trades.png (560x834, 79K)

You can't go wrong with HVAC, electrical or plumbing. I would take plumbing and start my own business

I'll look into plumbing then.
Thank you very much.

Attached: DzNN8sDX0AEDXCy.jpg orig.jpg (1766x958, 318K)

hmmm well a community college near me does offer an hvac course, but its a year long and I'd probably have to take 2 years of general ed as well. its also further than the other one I was looking at, which is only 6 months long